FE8 Mad Mode v 2.33

Radetzky120

Here's the latest release of a hack I've been working on for some time now. For some background, it was a project I undertook after playing through Fates and going through some ideas on how to make FE8 more interesting as opposed to just having Seth stomp everything to endgame.

As such, this hack will not change anything with the characters or plot, but expect infinite weapons, personal skills, and Eirika actually getting Str for once.

Download link here v2.33: https://www.mediafire.com/file/bmjsa5fr4pc3543/FE8MMv2.33.zip

bruh.PNG

seth.PNG

shoving.PNG

Edited by Radetzky120
Updated to latest version

Nice, skills for FE8

I started it just now, I got to the escape chapter, and noticed eirika's rapier doesn't do class damage bonus to infantry when fighting the boss like it would have.

Is this intentional? Or an oversight that needs to be fixed?

A few bugs i've found so far 

Rapiers aren't effective against infantry

Heavy Spear, and Armorslayer aren't effective against Armor Knights, but is effective against Free Knight (Not sure if intentional or not) I imagine Hammer might share that problem

Bronze Weapons still say they are effective against monsters, like the weapons they were made from (Beacon Bow, and Feind Cleaver)

Hand Axe Animation is rather wonky, it doesn't break the game but it doesn't work properly either 

Thats just what i found through the first 10 or so chapters.

I have some problems with the hack

The weapons with some bonuses have not any effect, same case with the special Skills, the stats are really bugged and sometimes the characters have really mad stats 

Screenshot_20170720-042258.png

Screenshot_20170720-042254.png

Started to play this to see how it goes.

1. Does Eirika always have to have -3/-2 Str at all times? I gave here both Iron and a Slim Sword and the minus Str remains

Problem1.PNG.9617ce021c9a3d152c7e9906320964ba.PNG

2. Heal seems to show properly the 1-2 range, but it doesn't work at 2 range.

Problem2.PNG.081fe19c8073dacf9897f5a665379998.PNG

3. Bronze weapons still have their old description (Monster Slayers). Probably the effect too.

Problem3.PNG.714cc6c15c36a0dc0a51dc5c428625a6.PNG

Will keep checking things out if something else happens.

EDIT: Colm came with really low stats (all by effects of minus). I restarted and it seems to have fixed the problem with both Colm and Eirika.

EDIT2: The effect of the Bronze Weapons work properly. The chapter where you get Amelia in Eirika's side gets frozen after turn 11, preventing futher progression. Had to use a cheat so the turn count doesn't go higher than 10.

EDIT3: The chapter with Innes has the same problem. This time I don't think I will apply the same treatment since I guess it has something to do with an Event with Marissa. So yeah...

Edited by TheUltimateChaos

This is a cool idea, and so far it is well executed. I do have a few questions though: what skill do soldiers get, and what do they promote into? What skill do lance knights get? My Amelia is 10, and I now have quite a conundrum. Also, what are the bronze weapons supposed to do? They were not effective against monsters, as far as I could tell.

Note that I haven't played Fates, so I don't know in what ways that affected this patch.

As far as bugs... on uh... Gheb's map, Tana was unable to use the short spear Amelia comes with despite having the weapon level for it. Is this intentional? I will admit I didn't test on other levels or with other characters. (EDIT: I have realized that this along with the other weapons the trainees come with are preferred. Is there no way to change their weapon rank?)

The game will occasionally get covered in artifacts and bug out, which just requires a restart. I am uncertain what causes this. Next time it occurs I will get a screencap.

I assume that not being able to go to the Tower of Valni is intentional. Lol.

EDIT: Other bugs found: 1. Alacalibur cuts off the music. 2. In Flourspar's Oath, a number of cavaliers were changed to Lance Knights, and are thus unable to use the swords that they have. Said swords are the only weapons they carry.

EDIT2: Upon starting River of Regrets, many of my characters had their stats reduced by a huge amount. I had to play through the level with these reduced stats, and it wasn't until I finished the level and exited the game that my stats went back to normal. The next level, Two Faces of Evil, is incredibly bugged. I am unable to even start the level. As soon as I leave preparations, the screen zooms to a place on the level, and then gets stuck there, the preparations music continues to play, and the game is entirely unresponsive. Here is a screencap:

Cap3.PNG

Edited by DolphinDingus
More bugs

Apparently, Mauthe Dogs can use ballistae.

As can Colm.

Yeah, turns out everyone in range of a ballista gets the range shown for it, even though I confirmed that they can't actually use the ballista.

Also, I think crit rates are messed up. I've noticed that Ross as a Berserker is having really low crit rates with anything that isn't a killer axe. Unless enemies have had their crit avoid boosted while still having terrible luck, then this is a bug. (EDIT: Have determined that this is due to silver weapons having "--" crit instead of having "0" crit)

Cap4.PNG

Cap5.PNG

EDIT: And upon starting Last Hope, my characters, again, have really stupid stat decreases. Some of the more egregious examples:

Cap6.PNG

Cap7.PNG

Cap8.PNG

Cap9.PNG

EDIT2: Even worse, the stat drops appear to be based upon where the unit is in my pick order. For instance, if Forde is currently the 8th unit picked, and I then change Ross to 8th unit picked, Ross will have -18 str and skill.

EDIT3: Lute, due to having her max hp reduced, was targeted by a physic holding green bishop. Her hp is now constantly going up. It has yet to stop.

Cap10.PNG

Edited by DolphinDingus

On 7/31/2017 at 6:22 AM, DolphinDingus said:

Apparently, Mauthe Dogs can use ballistae.

As can Colm.

Yeah, turns out everyone in range of a ballista gets the range shown for it, even though I confirmed that they can't actually use the ballista.

Also, I think crit rates are messed up. I've noticed that Ross as a Berserker is having really low crit rates with anything that isn't a killer axe. Unless enemies have had their crit avoid boosted while still having terrible luck, then this is a bug. (EDIT: Have determined that this is due to silver weapons having "--" crit instead of having "0" crit)

Cap4.PNG

Cap5.PNG

EDIT: And upon starting Last Hope, my characters, again, have really stupid stat decreases. Some of the more egregious examples:

Cap6.PNG

Cap7.PNG

Cap8.PNG

Cap9.PNG

EDIT2: Even worse, the stat drops appear to be based upon where the unit is in my pick order. For instance, if Forde is currently the 8th unit picked, and I then change Ross to 8th unit picked, Ross will have -18 str and skill.

EDIT3: Lute, due to having her max hp reduced, was targeted by a physic holding green bishop. Her hp is now constantly going up. It has yet to stop.

Cap10.PNG

You're in luck, because I (should) have it fixed for v2.3!

See OP for details.

I don't think this was intentional... but now the character stat pages are showing me the growth rates.

Cap11.PNG

Yeah, it even shows the boosts from Metis' Tome

Cap12.PNG

And now there are no enemies.

Cap13.PNG

EDIT: Also, the Rausten Bishop in that level who has fortify and physic still has a bugged AI, where he will target max hp units. The same situation happened as described above (humorously enough, it happened to Lute again). He is also somehow able to use fortify when no units are injured, which I did not notice until all the enemies were removed. This doesn't bug the game though, only physic does.

Edited by DolphinDingus

3 hours ago, DolphinDingus said:

I don't think this was intentional... but now the character stat pages are showing me the growth rates.

Cap11.PNG

Yeah, it even shows the boosts from Metis' Tome

It's not a bug, it's a feature. No joke. The select button switches between growths and stats.

Edited by Cardcafe

After defeating the final boss and reading through all that the characters have to say, the screen fades to black... and stays black. The music continues, but I am unable to finish the game. I don't think a screencap is necessary. Also, any idea what is causing the reduced stats bug? It happened again at the start of the penultimate level.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:30 PM, Shrimperor said:

I guess the +10 Crit ability with Ragnarok is bugged?

The Crit during battle was 0 btw

It's only a display thing.

On 8/2/2017 at 11:10 PM, DolphinDingus said:

After defeating the final boss and reading through all that the characters have to say, the screen fades to black... and stays black. The music continues, but I am unable to finish the game. I don't think a screencap is necessary. Also, any idea what is causing the reduced stats bug? It happened again at the start of the penultimate level.

The reduced stats are due to how the hack stores debuffs. I had to split enemy groups into groups of 16 in order to fix most of them.

Should be rectified as of latest version.

This patch is wild. I'm loving it. But...

For me, once I try to get to the preparation screen of Chapter 20 (darkling woods), the game freezes and it never takes me to the prep after all the cutscenes.

Additionally, Wyvern Lord axe animations cause the game to crash. I've turned off Cormag's animations for now, and that's fine; but I'm pretty sure there are animations out on the open source you could just port into the patch?

Also, for me, Chapter 19 was ENTIRELY BLANK. No enemies. No reinforcements. No boss. I just spammed the "Wait" command for 13 turns. Probably wasn't an intended feature to give the player a free chapter of what is probably the hardest chapter in the game.

Edited by Dyamond

6 hours ago, Dyamond said:

This patch is wild. I'm loving it. But...

For me, once I try to get to the preparation screen of Chapter 20 (darkling woods), the game freezes and it never takes me to the prep after all the cutscenes.

Additionally, Wyvern Lord axe animations cause the game to crash. I've turned off Cormag's animations for now, and that's fine; but I'm pretty sure there are animations out on the open source you could just port into the patch?

Also, for me, Chapter 19 was ENTIRELY BLANK. No enemies. No reinforcements. No boss. I just spammed the "Wait" command for 13 turns. Probably wasn't an intended feature to give the player a free chapter of what is probably the hardest chapter in the game.

Get the latest patch (v2.32).

Check the OP.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:10 AM, DolphinDingus said:

After defeating the final boss and reading through all that the characters have to say, the screen fades to black... and stays black.

I'm experiencing the same problem on v2.32

But all other problems I outlined are fixed. Thanks, and hope you can work out what seems to be the final kink! I'll follow up with other minor, non-gamebreaking errors once I finish.

Wow. I think this might actually be it. This might be the FE8 tweaking hack I've been looking for all this time.

Still, I learnt with Master Version not to judge a hack before finishing it. For all I know, you might've pulled the same move and the last chapters will be unbeatable without hours upon hours of extensive grinding.

But so far (all the way up to "turning traitor"), I'm really liking the hack. The skills and changes give the hack a very different feeling to your ordinary, run-of-the-mill rebalance hack. It's obviously not a difficulty hack, not for the moment at least, but that's alright. I've only noticed a couple major-ish problems so far: Vanessa's saviour skill doesn't seem to work. Whenever I rescue someone with Vanessa, this happens.

rN7ZhvG.png

Every single description for Vanessa's stats, skills, etc. is replaced by this bugged text until she drops whoever she's rescuing. And, as you can see, the rescuing penalties are applied.
The second bug concerns Duessel. I don't know if it is intentional (considering the changelog says Duessel's issues have been adressed several times already), but he's got no move in chapter 10. This is really annoying, because it more or less forces me to deploy Tana, as Duessel can't move to speak with Cormag.
And for the record, I've double-checked and I do have the latest version.
Other than that, this is a very fun hack.
Edited by Rubenio

On 8/9/2017 at 10:33 PM, Rubenio said:

Wow. I think this might actually be it. This might be the FE8 tweaking hack I've been looking for all this time.

Still, I learnt with Master Version not to judge a hack before finishing it. For all I know, you might've pulled the same move and the last chapters will be unbeatable without hours upon hours of extensive grinding.

But so far (all the way up to "turning traitor"), I'm really liking the hack. The skills and changes give the hack a very different feeling to your ordinary, run-of-the-mill rebalance hack. It's obviously not a difficulty hack, not for the moment at least, but that's alright. I've only noticed a couple major-ish problems so far: Vanessa's saviour skill doesn't seem to work. Whenever I rescue someone with Vanessa, this happens.

rN7ZhvG.png

Every single description for Vanessa's stats, skills, etc. is replaced by this bugged text until she drops whoever she's rescuing. And, as you can see, the rescuing penalties are applied.
The second bug concerns Duessel. I don't know if it is intentional (considering the changelog says Duessel's issues have been adressed several times already), but he's got no move in chapter 10. This is really annoying, because it more or less forces me to deploy Tana, as Duessel can't move to speak with Cormag.
And for the record, I've double-checked and I do have the latest version.
Other than that, this is a very fun hack.

Yeah, I overlooked Duessel's issue until now. It should work as of v2.33.

As for Savior... yeah. I ought to get to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Also having issues with Darkling woods. No enemies spawn at all, but hitting wait just makes the game hang up on player phase forever. I know another person who's playing it said that it lagged a lot on that chapter.

Thoughts up to that point:

• I love the aesthetic changes like showing growth rates. I wish mainstream FE games would do that honestly. Letting you know when enemies have effective or killer weapons is also really cool.
  • Removing Fog of War on the Rausten defence chapter seems very uncanny. It's not really a bad thing but it seems off. There was no reason to pull it out.
  • Innes is busted. I know archers are meant to be not really that great because no real enemy phase but with a killer bow and galeforce he's unstoppable.
  • Amelia's halberdier sprite is wonky with the colors. 387c94999309b79156fadef6f99cdc56.png
  • Axes on armors are incredible and I'm really glad you worked that in. I like Gilliam even more now.
  • Unlimited weapons here are good and cool and I'm glad you took what Fates did and tweaked it. I wasn't a fan of unlimited weapons in Fates but this implementation is good, especially because it doesn't punish you for using silver weapons.
  • If you don't get Ephraim to level 10 before the route split and then go Eirika route he never learns Aether. This is really crappy.

Can't think of much else to say at least for now. I know some other guys are playing it too, we're all kind of playing it around the same time. Maybe they'll have more to say or can expound on it, because I believe we've all had a few issues in a few various parts of the game. I literally can't pass Darkling woods though. I tried a warp/rescue/dance chain but the gate is too far away to seize in one turn. Hoping for a new patch soon! Despite my bullet points sounding pessimistic I've actually really enjoyed this and consider it an improvement over the original. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Umbran Darros
i can spell