FE: War of Men (Gameplay)

Enaluxeme

Abeloth looked for Ahava, but only found the supplies she bought. He didn't question it, though. He knew she was safe, but whether she decided to abandon her pilgrimage or not was none of his business. He looked at the nobleman, seeing an opportunity for at least adventure. Abeloth didn't really need money, but understood that few lords would be fond of a barbarian eating from their forests. "Oh. It seems as though my cleric friend got cold feet. Luckily, my boots always keep my feet warm. If you are going into Vinhon, I would suggest hiring someone with intimidation factor. My qualifications should be self-explanatory, as the barkeep over there can attest. Luckily, he's wearing brown pants, so as to not embarrass himself should something have happened when we first met. Is there another in your group? Or am I the only one besides the yes man?" Abeloth didn't hold a low opinion of soldiers, but he didn't necessarily believe the soldier was leadership material.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that pretty much settled that. This guy seemed to get the message that they wanted to hire him. That was good. Yes man means me, right?..."Uh...there was this Palmyrian archer guy, but...yeah, that's roughly the extent of it." He was developing quite the habit of answering questions meant for other people...Oops.

7u29ak6.jpg"As Sicon here said, that would be the group. I understand you intend to travel east regardless of your company or lack thereof. If you will accompany us, I will take care of room and board, as well as give you a small sum of gold once we part ways. However, you will have to take care of your equipment and everything else you may find the need for."

The barmaid showed up with the food and drinks Elijah ordered, enough for the soldier and the plainsman too. He gave his thanks to theyoung lady and started eating.

7u29ak6.jpg"If that is fine with you, know that we will depart in the morning, as the sun rises."

Having suitably taken care of the horses, Rekia walked as quickly as he could away from the putrid stench of the stable and was drawn to the aroma of bar food. Obviously not the ideal feast, but it was on Elijah's tab. The plainsman never was one to turn down a free meal. As he walked in, he saw Sicon and Elijah conversing with a hulking barbarian. There was food on the table, and they were sharing a meal. Starting without him? Rather rude, one would think. Ah, well. Rekia took his seat next to Elijah and began digging in. He nodded in direction of the stranger, flashing a genial smile that belied his inherent fear of the man's size and seeming ferocity. "This our man? What's your name, friend?"

Abeloth looked at the young archer. "Abeloth. If either of you want to tell me your names, you're welcome to." Abeloth looked at the noble. "I thank you kindly, sir. If it please you, I'll be in the room I booked. Good night, milord." Abeloth crouched so he wouldn't hit his head going up the stairs to his room. He put his weapons down on the floor beside the bed and fell asleep flat on his back.

Sicon looked up from the bread he was hungrily devouring as the large man introduced himself. Abeloth...I should be able to remember that. With a mouth fairly full of food, he offered his name before the man turned to go. "Sicon." He raised his hand as he said it.

Sicon swallowed his food, then stood up. "I think I'll retire. It's late, and there will be plenty of time for conversation on the road. If I am required, however, do not hesitate to call." He bowed slightly and left to his room, where he fell asleep curled up with his lance.

7u29ak6.jpg"Indeed you are required."

Elijah calmly cleaned his mouth and stood up.

7u29ak6.jpg "I will retire to my room, accompany me with the box, then you'll be free for the evening."

The night passes swiftly and silently. The following dawn, Elijah stood near the mule, waiting for everyone to show up. 

Abeloth woke as soon as the sun peeked over the horizon. He picked up his weapons, secured Ahava's provisions, and headed for the tavern's entrance. Heading out of the tavern, he turned and saw a mule connected to a wagon of moderate size, and Duke Elijah next to it. Must be the place, I guess. Abeloth stood on the opposite side of the mule, crossed his arms, and said nothing.

Sicon chuckled. "Right. The box. Of course, sir."

The next morning, Sicon rose from bed in the same sluggish manner he always did. He sat up, rubbed his face, wiped the drool off of his lance, and took a moment to process why he wasn't in the barracks where he usually awoke.

He put on his armor, which he was obliged to do on duty, grabbed his other equipment, and dragged his feet outside to the wagon. He wasn't the first there, and offered a groggy "Morning" to anyone present.

Rekia sauntered up to the wagon. "Well, it looks like we're all here. Are we ready to head off, then?" He made sure to surreptitiously place himself so Sicon was between him and Abeloth. He wasn't particularly fond of the soldier, but one never knew what to expect when it came to these barbarians. He hoped to maintain as little interaction with the giant (and his axe) as possible.

Sicon did a quick headcount as...Rekia asked if they were all present. "Yeah, looks like we're all present and accounted for."

Truth be told, Sicon had been planning on walking, but Rekia had insisted Sicon take the seat beside him...Rekia had insisted; it was only right to humor him. So, he shut his mouth and sat down, still not entirely awake. He yawned rather audibly, which he quickly followed up with an "Excuse me". He wouldn't be yawning all day, hopefully. The warm sun and bumpy wagon were sure to wake him up...right?

Abeloth motioned for Elijah to sit as he stood beside the mule. "Don't worry so much about me, as I have a much easier time managing my own feet than that of a horse or, in this case, a jackass. Besides, we will have our bases covered. Rekia has range to cover the front and rear, I have the right, and Sicon the left. I would say get comfortable, but that's most likely counterintuitive." He waited for Elijah to slap the reins so they could get moving.

The four of you departed from the inn, passing through the southern post. Captain Sleidors had just returned and granted you your passage quickly. 
The jurney went smoothly: having the heavy barbarian on foot was a good decision, as the mule didn't need to stop to rest.
The sun was just starting to set when you reached a town, but Elijah decided to keep going, as the travel was quicker than he expected.
Eventually, you reached another settlement, much smaller than the town before, in the dark of the night.

7u29ak6.jpg"Here we are, no need to camp outside. It's late, tomorrow we may depart later than we did today."

For Iota, Intercopter and Poimagic

Spoiler

You have been traveling in a group consisting of Hiero, Aster and two mages, Lowe and Sujad. You were hired, indirectly, by Sage Eisenvak of Marjula to deliver an unique tome to Sage Falatis of Magrosa.

You have been staying for the night in the inn of a small town midway through your jurney. There was a preacher of Sotria in the inn. Not an uncommon thing in the areas closer to Jovis, most patrons ignored him and the innkeeper himself looked used to that sort of thing happening. Lowe decided to leave the inn for a walk, you got the impression he doesn't like people of the church, particularly men.

Iota

Spoiler

Lowe got back to the inn. It was dark outside and presumably most of the patrons went to sleep, including the preacher. He was just about to enter when he saw Sujad getting out. He had all his things in his backpack and was holding something in his arms.

Edited by Enaluxeme

As Lowe approaches the inn with a slight wobble in his step, a frown grows across his face after thinking 'bah the holy bastard went to sleep...probably for the best, wouldn't get paid if I blew up the place ...' Noticing Sujad preparing to depart, Lowe's frown grows and he begins to advance towards Sujad without attempting to be stealthy. "Oi! I don't reckon you'd need all those supplies for a midnight walk? What's this about?" 

Rekia, ass sore from the bumpy ride and yet grateful he didn't have to walk the whole way, jumped out of the wagon. "Thank Sotria," he muttered under his breath as he walked towards the town. "You there!" He called out to the man standing guard. "We seek shelter for the night. Rest assured we'll be able to pay our way. Well," he chuckled and gestured towards Elijah, "at least he can." Hopefully this bumpkin town was sufficient to accommodate the group, their small number notwithstanding. Rekia had his doubts, but that wasn't anything new.

Abeloth was less than enthused. He knew that these small villages tended to be insular and superstitious, meaning that he was most likely going to occupy the stall next to the mule. Looking at his potential situation with sarcasm, he whispered into the mule's ear. "Don't worry so much about being alone tonight, as I have a feeling someone here is apt to mistake me for a bear."

Hiero had returned back to his inn room, two young maidens at the front of the door. "Bye ladies. It was fun having you at town tonight. But I must get going tomorrow. But my love will always be with you." Hiero blew a kiss and closed the door. He noticed that Lowe and Sujad were gone. "That just means more me time." If anyone was in his room he didn't notice.

It was probably for the best that Lowe had shown himself out of the inn--both for the holy man's own welfare and that of the group's. Asther had seen that fire in Lowe's eyes, and didn't want anyone to be on the receiving end. That, and property damage is expensive--they'd barely break even if they had to pay for an incinerated inn.

With everyone else gone, Asther returned to his room shortly after Hiero did, getting ready to retire for the night.

Sicon was lost in his own imagination, daydreaming as the hills passed and the road stretched onward. Suddenly, it came to a screeching halt when they stopped in a little town.

After Rekia's rather...exuberant rise, Sicon stood up and stretched. The day had been a little lazier than expected. That was good. Before he decided to actually sleep, he figured he'd make sure he wasn't needed. "Hey, uh, Elijah, y'need me to carry that box again?"

Hiero had just gotten on his bed and was pulling out a Romance Novel when Asther walked in. "Hey there. Think Lowe will blow the place up? I hope not. I only have 10 gold on my person." He pulled out a leather coin purse and showed Asther to ten gold pieces inside it. "Enough to buy a drink or one of those vulneraries from those flea market shops, but definitely not enough to repair an entire inn."

Asther raised an eyebrow as he unhooked his sword from his belt, leaning it up against the wall in the corner of the room. "Only ten? What'd you spend it on? ...Wait, don't answer that. Oh, and remind me to have a chat with the innkeeper every time we need a place to stay. It'll be in their best interest to keep clergymen away from that firebrand, no doubt. Awfully long walk he's having, though. Have you seen him at all today? Because I haven't."

Edited by Intercopter

Judging by his attire, the guard was probably a mercenary hired by the town rather than a full-fledged soldier.

Ur1Ukem.png"Sure, it's that way. It's not that far actually, just a few buildings from here. The townsfolks are used to outsiders, cause no problems and you'll get no problems in return."

As you got closer to the inn, you noticed a bright light, and a man coming from the same direction running towards the stable. He was wearinga red cloack, with a backpack on his back and a sword at his side.

Iota

Spoiler

Gk48lQG.png "Oh! Lowe! I wasn't expecting to see you at this hour..."

Lowe's sight slipped down at Sujad's arms. It was covered in tatters, but there was no doubt he was holding the magic tome you are supposed to deliver. The eyes of the two mages met for a moment, and Sujad understood the other's realization. With a quick motion, he shoved Lowe away and started running towards the stable of the inn.

The thief reached for a pocket on his backpack to pull out a disc the size of his hand. As he trew the disc on the ground behind him, the disc began to emit a bright light.

Why running from Lowe? he wasn't nearly on the same level as the sages, but Lowe knew Sujad could take him easily in a one on one fight.

Intercopter and Poimagic

Spoiler

Through the window, Asther and Hiero noticed a bright light coming from the streets.

Edited by Enaluxeme

Abeloth put himself in the way of of the running man. He hoped that the sneak thief would be too distracted by placing the Light Rune down to notice him. He knew that his strikes would be too slow to hit him, but that was what Sicon was for, especially due to what he said he did during the bandit confrontation the previous day.