A PSA from your FE Warriors Editor

Jedi

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, for all the shit I just said about GAF, I definitely wouldn't put them below GameFAQs. GameFAQs is like the communal toilet of video game message boards.

1 hour ago, Jave said:

I suggest that you don't judge GAF without checking it out first. It is most definitely NOT worse than GameFAQs, as they have tons of great people there and some of them are very passionate about what they like.

My reasoning is that though GAF has more decent people, it's issues are for more pronounced and frustrating. Gamefaqs is yeah, one huge mess, but there's entertainment value in it all and a few decent faqs.
On gamefaqs, you see trolls and laugh them off.
On neogaf, you see people troll and make hot takes slightly more eloquently than on gamefaqs and stick around for a long time. On top of a pretty pronounced Playstation bias among the actual staff.

Really, neither are places I lurk anymore-- they're both total jokes, just for slightly different reasons.

@Florete Yeah, it's kinda interesting seeing how the devs end up mirroring the fans (between the internal Fates drama and now this).

Edited by The DanMan

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Don't remind me; that place is worse than Gamefaqs. The things I could say...

Yeah-- not sure why they aren't trying for a simultaneous release with it, since it'll almost certainly end up releasing after SMO in the rest of the world.

What do you expect them to do? Hold a complete game until after Christmas?

You know, part of me actually kinda hopes FE Warriors releases on the same day as Odyssey so I don't have to make multiple trips to GameStop in a short timeframe... But another part wants the releases to be more apart so Warriors isn't hurt by Odyssey saleswise... xP

42 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Hey guys, can we NOT continue this conversation that is about a pedophile? Just saying. I feel the conversation is just getting REALLY weird now.

...Yeeeah, that's probably a good idea. xP

EDIT: Oops, my bad for double posting...I momentarily forgot that I just posted. ._.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

What do you expect them to do? Hold a complete game until after Christmas?

I and others were just kinda hoping for a simultaneous release, which is something Nintendo has been edging towards recently. Setpember seems like the perfect time, as it could all too easily get drowned out in the sea of holiday releases.

Just now, The DanMan said:

I and others were just kinda hoping for a simultaneous release, which is something Nintendo has been edging towards recently. Setpember seems like the perfect time, as it could all too easily get drowned out in the sea of holiday releases.

It could still be, couldn't it? Or did I miss a Western release date? I mean, they apparently still have some voice work to do so I don't know.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

It could still be, couldn't it? Or did I miss a Western release date? I mean, they apparently still have some voice work to do so I don't know.

The fact they announced the JP date around E3 but not the Western one makes it seem highly unlikely. 

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

My reasoning is that though GAF has more decent people, it's issues are for more pronounced and frustrating. Gamefaqs is yeah, one huge mess, but there's entertainment value in it all and a few decent faqs.
On gamefaqs, you see trolls and laugh them off.
On neogaf, you see people troll and make hot takes slightly more eloquently than one gamefaqs and stick around for a long time. On top of a pretty pronounced Playstation bias among the very staff.

Really, neither are places I lurk anymore-- they're both total jokes, just for slightly different reasons

None of this regarding GAF is even remotely true. You can show several examples of isolated incidents to defend your point but none of it would reflect on the community as a whole. The trolling is not a common thing, and when it happens, it's usually taken care of it quick.

I have no idea of what your history with GAF is, nor I care, but don't spread things about the site you can't back up. The site is nowhere near as bad as you're painting it to be.

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The fact they announced the JP date around E3 but not the Western one makes it seem highly unlikely. 

Eh, I'll take it as a they're not sure yet depending on how the localization goes. 

You can't forget that the game has 2 publishers, which would effect having a worldwide release. Koei Tecmo needs to release the game when it's appropriate for their Japanese slate, and Nintendo needs to release it at the proper time in the west. 

I'm still on the fence about purchasing this game myself. Initially I was pretty exited to see Fire Emblem get the same treatment as Zelda did, though around E3 I was among the many others that were disappointed with the revealed roster choices. I've gotten over this now and in my more clear-headed state I'm alright with the game focusing on Archanea, Ylisse, and whatever Fates' continent is supposed to be called. However, they're doing an absolutely horrible job at hyping this game for fans.

It's very clear that there is a general divide in the fanbase Nintendo and IS should even be able to see that, so wouldn't it make sense to try and please both sides at the same time at E3? I would like to reiterate that I'm not complaining about the roster here, but one would think that multiple Archanea and Awakening/Fates would be announced at the same time to make more people happy because right now all the old guard has is Marth. Have Camus announced alongside Xander, or maybe Caeda with Lissa. Part of the fun of franchise crossovers is seeing aspects between games crossover.

It's like if for a new Smash Bros. the reveal trailer just had Mario and Zelda characters. Sure it would draw a crowd, but a first impression like that would lead people to assume that some other key Nintendo franchises wouldn't be returning.

Ultimately, why would someone who doesn't care for Awakening/Fates buy THIS game with the trailers we have seen for the time being?

I don't think FE will be getting worldwide releases just yet. It's not Pokemon or anything, so... Still, I'd love for the series to get that someday!

I'm an archanea guy, so it would draw me in. But i do feel for people whose series isn't represented. If I am gonna get this game, it'll be on the new 2ds. Do you think that'll help increase sequel likelyhood?

5 minutes ago, JDtheBA said:

I'm an archanea guy, so it would draw me in. But i do feel for people whose series isn't represented. If I am gonna get this game, it'll be on the new 2ds. Do you think that'll help increase sequel likelyhood?

No, because the game is only for Switch and New 3DS. 

Edit: Whoops, reading fail on my part. Yes, any sale will help. 

Edited by Hardin

Well, I was going to buy the game as soon as I possibly could, so . . . yeah. I've been a fan of FE for a decade and the Warriors series for even longer; the two of them together brings me as much happiness as when Pokemon Conquest was announced.

That said, I can understand the criticisms of it and can agree with some of them. Especially with PR. They literally could have avoided half of the complaints had they stayed quiet about not wanting too many sword users in the game.

My main problem with any negative comment in general is when it starts as constructive criticism or general disappointment - both of which anyone is free to express - but then devolves into beating a dead horse.

I feel like the big reason the purchase is such a huge maybe for me (Besides the obvious 'Switch + Games cost money') is that the marketing for this game so far has been absolute ass.

We've gotten a single gameplay trailer so far after half a year, with the japanese release in September. And I'm betting casual FE fans aren't going to invest upwards of an hour watching straight warriors gameplay unless they're already invested in seeing how it pans out.

All they had to do was show a villain lineup silhouette, hell just tease some other characters like Caeda, Takumi, Frederick in the E3 trailer and I think a good number of people would be a tad more hyped about this game.

Not to mention how we've gotten a good number of interviews, yet the other marketing doesn't line up with what's been firmly established in the interviews.

As it stands, I'm waiting until we get confirmation on the roster size and the amount of content in the game. If it's ANYTHING like the amount featured in Hyrule Warriors I'm sold because the Switch is portable and this shit'll be the size of an RPG. (And that's not even counting the sheer volume of DLC/Legends)

Still waiting on that Yukimura reveal, come on Koei Techmo, as fellow fans of various viewpoints, the idea must have sprouted in your minds as well

Edited by DaloDask

Not really sure what going on with the topic now, but I don't think I should contribute in it.

Anywho, I really want to buy this game but I'm flat out broke & I don't even have a Switch.

But there's something I've been very dreadful about this game & that's the grinding experience.

I stop playing Hyrule Warriors because of that flaw & I hoping to God that the Support Conversation are worth time to grind for. They usually make grinding feel rewarding because of the whole killing 2 birds with stone thing.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

You know, part of me actually kinda hopes FE Warriors releases on the same day as Odyssey so I don't have to make multiple trips to GameStop in a short timeframe... But another part wants the releases to be more apart so Warriors isn't hurt by Odyssey saleswise... xP

I'm having some bad flashbacks to the last time a Fire Emblem game came out alongside an anticipated 3D Mario title...

Anyway, this news ironically makes me less interested in getting the game, since why would I make investments of both time and money into a game when there could potentially be a sequel that could actually appeal to me on more than just 'smashing things with pegasi' alone?

Also, the thing with Hyrule Warriors is that, even if I was meh (OoT), apathetic dislike (TP) and hadn't played (SS) on its represented games, is that there was both an in-universe reason for the titles it had (all three fit onto one timeline, while Wind Waker comes from an alternative one that would, and did, have required a trippy explanation) and there were no real standout exclusions. Even with my desire for Wind Waker content, I had no idea which characters I'd have wanted.

Ever since Hyrule Warriors, i've always wanted a Fire Emblem Warriors, so i'm hopefully getting this game day one. While i am disappointed at the choice of the three games being represented (in the base game, at least), i knew it would happen, and tbh, i'm a fan of the Archanea/Ylisse/Fates cast.

My main concern is "Fire Emblem Warriors Legends" but since the game is getting a New 3DS port on the same day, hopefully there won't be a "Legends".

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I don't think FE will be getting worldwide releases just yet. It's not Pokemon or anything, so... Still, I'd love for the series to get that someday!

I can see FE Switch getting a worldwide release. I mean, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is getting a worldwide release and Xenoblade isn't as popular as FE......i think. I think Warriors not getting a worldwide release is because it's a spin-off. I wish it did release worldwide though. Because if it releases in October, then Odyssey is just going to devour it, in terms of play time and sales. If it releases after October, then that's still not ideal (for me), because Xenoblade 2 will likely release in November/December, and even though i'm a bigger FE fan than Xenoblade fan, Warriors is a spin-off whereas Xenoblade 2 is a main series title. And if Warriors and Xenoblade 2 release close to each other, then Xenoblade is just going to devour Warriors (and several months of my life).

24 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm having some bad flashbacks to the last time a Fire Emblem game came out alongside an anticipated 3D Mario title...

But back then, FE wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. :P

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I can see FE Switch getting a worldwide release. I mean, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is getting a worldwide release and Xenoblade isn't as popular as FE......i think. I think Warriors not getting a worldwide release is because it's a spin-off. I wish it did release worldwide though. Because if it releases in October, then Odyssey is just going to devour it, in terms of play time and sales. If it releases after October, then that's still not ideal (for me), because Xenoblade 2 will likely release in November/December, and even though i'm a bigger FE fan than Xenoblade fan, Warriors is a spin-off whereas Xenoblade 2 is a main series title. And if Warriors and Xenoblade 2 release close to each other, then Xenoblade is just going to devour Warriors (and several months of my life).

It could happen, yeah, but right now I just don't really see it... But yeah, I do wish it would release worldwide. I hate having to wait awhile and risk being totally spoiled of the plot and stuff.

34 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Not really sure what going on with the topic now, but I don't think I should contribute in it.

Anywho, I really want to buy this game but I'm flat out broke & I don't even have a Switch.

But there's something I've been very dreadful about this game & that's the grinding experience.

I stop playing Hyrule Warriors because of that flaw & I hoping to God that the Support Conversation are worth time to grind for. They usually make grinding feel rewarding because of the whole killing 2 birds with stone thing.

I found a nice grinding chapter that let me get about 5 level ups per mission if I used potions, so that helped with the grind, but doing the same mission over and over again still got old. Still, this one lets you level up multiple characters at a time apparently, so that should really help.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But back then, FE wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. :P

There's also the fact people still blame that game for its poor sales. And not the marketing, or the reviewer who called it out for lack of Mii support and motion controls...

Just now, phineas81707 said:

There's also the fact people still blame that game for its poor sales. And not the marketing, or the reviewer who called it out for lack of Mii support and motion controls...

That's pretty dumb. RD also had very little marking while FE Warriors is getting plenty of that. I do fear FE Warriors might not sell as well as it would without Odyssey to throw a wrench into things, but it should still sell much better than RD did.

Also...that review is just bullshit. FE doesn't need Mii support or motion controls to be good. How would motion controls even WORK in it?

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But yeah, I do wish it would release worldwide. I hate having to wait awhile and risk being totally spoiled of the plot and stuff.

Agreed. Though, me personally, in the case of Warriors, i don't really mind if the plot is spoiled for me. The only Warriors game i've played was Hyrule Warriors, and even then, i played it because i got to hack-and-slash as Zelda characters. I didn't really care that much for the story, and i imagine it'll be the same for me here. I don't know the quality of other Warriors' plots, but Warriors, as a series, definitely leans more to the gameplay side of things in the never ending debate of gameplay vs story.

Now, i say that, but since this game does have Support Conversations, i would rather see those for myself. I don't want them spoiled.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

RD also had very little marking while FE Warriors is getting plenty of that.

Yeah, Warriors is getting marketing but it hasn't exactly been......good. The first reveal of this game showed Chrom. Then, the next trailer showed Chrom for a few more seconds. Then, 4, 5-ish months pass before we get that Famitsu article. Now, the article claims that, as of that moment of writing, the game was 70% complete. 70% complete (probably a bit more as of right now) and we still don't know a whole lot. We don't even know who the villains are, aside from Mr.Endgame Dragon for the 700th time. Compare that to Hyrule Warriors, where the marketing there was arguably a lot better than it is here. The first Hyrule Warriors trailer, shown back in December 2013, showed more than just 5 seconds of one character. Then, the next trailer was at E3 2014, and there we learned a good deal. We learned about some of the characters, and also some of the villains. And even after E3, there was a steady steam of info. Compare that to FE Warriors, and it's clear that the marketing isn't good. Even the recent Awakening Warriors trailer, it showed off some new characters, which is great and all, but we barely saw gameplay. A lot of the footage was just cutscenes. The same goes for the E3 trailer. I think that's the main problem here. Everything that FE Warriors has shown us has been about the plot, not the gameplay, and that's bad in a series that's really gameplay based. The only real gameplay we've seen so far are from the demos at E3 and Anime Expo. But hey, the people who did play the demos have had positive experiences with it.