A PSA from your FE Warriors Editor

Jedi

1 hour ago, Locke087 said:

Okay sell me I honestly can't see the difference so if you could elaborate on what is changed so much since the PSP days i'm all ears I honestly like to broaden my horizon's and give different genres a chance. I'm not in financial trouble or anything lol, just you know I can't afford every video game, gaming is a expensive hobby so I might have to pass on a different game if I buy this. Keep in mind I also passed on Hyrule Warriors despite being a massive Zelda fan due to my previous experience with the PSP warriors game.

Is there older Warriors game I could get on the cheap that could give me a better picture of what Warriors games are actually like these days? Plopping $60 down on a game I'm not even sure I'll like at all is quite the risk.

Well first of all the PSP doesn't have the proper hardware to get all the enemies on screen so it makes the games seem reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally dull and slow, there wasn't a portable Warriors game that was good really until Hyrule Warriors Legends and thats only when its running off a N3DSXL. Besides Dynasty Warriors Advance that is, which I did show off in this video 

With Warriors games you typically have tons of objectives and goals to accomplish while you mow down countless foes with a huge variety of movesets & skills, i'd highly suggest one of the Warriors Orochi games, even the first 2 on the PS2 I think would be a good indication of how Warriors games can be at their best. Although 3 might sell the whole "big hardware makes the spectacle greater", but thats not particularly cheap. 

Samurai Warriors as well, 2 in particular, Dynasty Warriors fans will always recommend 3, 5, 7/8 (sometimes 4 but not as much). 

I mean if Warriors games aren't your thing they aren't your thing and the PSP ones may have proved it by themselves. So i'm not entirely sure I can "sell you" on them.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FEW was a day 1 purchase the moment I saw that reveal trailer. Granted, I've never played a Warriors game before. And I regret not trying Hyrule Warriors when my sister rented it. I still hope they release a system bundle with the game. It's no Smash + Splatoon Wii U bundle, but bundles always help game sales, right?

Anyways, @Jedi, I completely understand where you were coming from. It's hard watching vids of FEW these days when all you ever see in the comments is "Why is there nothing but sword characters?" and "Such-and-such character better be in, or I'm not buying." The former type of comment, I'd swear they think the demo is the whole freaking game or all that's been made so far, which afaik is almost never the case. The latter type of comment, really pisses me off (especially when they give no reasons. Kudos to Xaos for breaking that mold) and also kind of worries me. I'm sure the last thing any of us wants is for this game to not get a sequel because no one bought the first game just because it didn't have characters they wanted. It's an utterly ludicrous reason in the first place. It'd be like not buying Smash Bros. just 'cause a character you like didn't make it in. It's Smash Bros., dude, you just don't do that. Yeah it's not the most apt comparison, but.... still. I should hope that number of people that make those comments is a small minority, small enough to not impact the game's sales. Of course, there's no guarantee they'd be working on a sequel regardless of sales, though I kind of hope they are anyway just to see how it fares with characters from older entries. Though all in all, we should wait till the end of September before tearing the roster apart.

Also, I actually agree with Jedi in the way he said to support the game. Let's put it this way: Whether you aren't fond of the roster or aren't into Warriors-style games, or both, at least buy and try the game. If it doesn't suit your fancy, then you can sell it and get most of your money back. Either way, it's +1 towards the game's sales, and every bit bolsters the game's chances for success, and hence the chances for a sequel with characters from older entries we really want to use. I think this is along the lines of what Jedi had meant, and to be perfectly honest, I'm all for it. Now, I know it's not exactly an ideal compromise. No one should have to feel they need to ask people to buy a certain game just so it will sell well, and no one likes being told how to spend their money. From an outside perspective, it admittedly sounds rather selfish. Though in his defense, Hayashi had said himself in that interview, "If this game is well-received, we may be able to make a sequel." And who wouldn't want to try and help tip the RNG scales in its favor?  At the very least, we are all Emblemiers here, so those of us willing will pitch in however we can, because we love this dang series too much. :)

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:28 AM, phineas81707 said:

There's also the fact people still blame that game for its poor sales. And not the marketing, or the reviewer who called it out for lack of Mii support and motion controls...

Those poor sales didn't stop Ike being included in two Super Smash Bros. games, or getting a crap-load of votes in the FE Heroes poll, so I suggest you come up with some better reasoning.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

FEW was a day 1 purchase the moment I saw that reveal trailer. Granted, I've never played a Warriors game before. And I regret not trying Hyrule Warriors when my sister rented it. I still hope they release a system bundle with the game. It's no Smash + Splatoon Wii U bundle, but bundles always help game sales, right?

Anyways, @Jedi, I completely understand where you were coming from. It's hard watching vids of FEW these days when all you ever see in the comments is "Why is there nothing but sword characters?" and "Such-and-such character better be in, or I'm not buying." The former type of comment, I'd swear they think the demo is the whole freaking game or all that's been made so far, which afaik is almost never the case. The latter type of comment, really pisses me off (especially when they give no reasons. Kudos to Xaos for breaking that mold) and also kind of worries me. I'm sure the last thing any of us wants is for this game to not get a sequel because no one bought the first game just because it didn't have characters they wanted. It's an utterly ludicrous reason in the first place. It'd be like not buying Smash Bros. just 'cause a character you like didn't make it in. It's Smash Bros., dude, you just don't do that. Yeah it's not the most apt comparison, but.... still. I should hope that number of people that make those comments is a small minority, small enough to not impact the game's sales. Of course, there's no guarantee they'd be working on a sequel regardless of sales, though I kind of hope they are anyway just to see how it fares with characters from older entries. Though all in all, we should wait till the end of September before tearing the roster apart.

Also, I actually agree with Jedi in the way he said to support the game. Let's put it this way: Whether you aren't fond of the roster or aren't into Warriors-style games, or both, at least buy and try the game. If it doesn't suit your fancy, then you can sell it and get most of your money back. Either way, it's +1 towards the game's sales, and every bit bolsters the game's chances for success, and hence the chances for a sequel with characters from older entries we really want to use. I think this is along the lines of what Jedi had meant, and to be perfectly honest, I'm all for it. Now, I know it's not exactly an ideal compromise. No one should have to feel they need to ask people to buy a certain game just so it will sell well, and no one likes being told how to spend their money. From an outside perspective, it admittedly sounds rather selfish. Though in his defense, Hayashi had said himself in that interview, "If this game is well-received, we may be able to make a sequel." And who wouldn't want to try and help tip the RNG scales in its favor?  At the very least, we are all Emblemiers here, so those of us willing will pitch in however we can, because we love this dang series too much. :)

Honestly, I think you're a tiny bit in the wrong here.. You enjoy a game the most when it has characters you like. If Smash Bros. didn't have any characters I liked, I know I wouldn't get it. It might not be that crucial to you, but the roster is a major selling point to a lot of people. Especially in a Warriors game, where some objectives may force you to use a specific character. If you only like 2 characters out of the 20 they have, you're not going to be playing as them often.

And if I'm not fond of the roster or am not into Warriors-style games, why should I buy the game? That flat out says it. If I don't like the genre of game, chances are, I won't like the game. Especially if there's none of my favorite characters in it. You say we can sell it, but that's time out of our schedules, and we wouldn't get our whole 60 bucks back.

I would love to see a sequel to this, and I'm really hyped to play as a variety of Fire Emblem characters. But I think saying (not saying you said this, this is just how it comes off to some though) "oh get over the roster", "if you don't know what Warriors is like buy it regardless", and "get it so we can get a sequel" is the wrong way to go about it. If they have taken an interest in the game, yeah definitely try to sell it to them, but telling them to just "at least buy it and try it" isn't very fair.

43 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Those poor sales didn't stop Ike being included in two Super Smash Bros. games, or getting a crap-load of votes in the FE Heroes poll, so I suggest you come up with some better reasoning.

...I don't know what you want me to prove. The game has poor sales- as much as I like the games, this is objective. People other than me cite the game's poor sales as a sign the game sucked or its popularity is unwarranted, when I cited the true reasons for the game's poor sales. Ike's appearance in Smash Bros was all the marketing the game needed, but I doubt it came out when Radiant Dawn was still on the market.

22 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

...I don't know what you want me to prove. The game has poor sales- as much as I like the games, this is objective. People other than me cite the game's poor sales as a sign the game sucked or its popularity is unwarranted, when I cited the true reasons for the game's poor sales. Ike's appearance in Smash Bros was all the marketing the game needed, but I doubt it came out when Radiant Dawn was still on the market.

It's also important to remember that Ike seems much more popular than the games themselves.

Thing is, good sales for this game will likely be interpreted as success because of Awakening and Fates characters. Even if good sales spur a sequel, there's no guarantee it won't just feature characters from FE16, ones from 13/14/Archanea that didn't make the first cut, and maybe Alm and Celica depending on the timing. This is using the very logic people have used to defend this game's roster, mind you. Why risk the sequel failing by including characters from games who by that point will be even older instead of focusing on the hugely popular 3DS era and the latest entry on the Switch? Awakening and Fates have a large enough roster between them after all where they could easily make another game with mainly those two games.

There is no guarantee that even if fans who are let down support this game the creators will be fair in creating the roster next time around. 

10 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Thing is, good sales for this game will likely be interpreted as success because of Awakening and Fates characters. Even if good sales spur a sequel, there's no guarantee it won't just feature characters from FE16, ones from 13/14/Archanea that didn't make the first cut, and maybe Alm and Celica depending on the timing. This is using the very logic people have used to defend this game's roster, mind you. Why risk the sequel failing by including characters from games who by that point will be even older instead of focusing on the hugely popular 3DS era and the latest entry on the Switch? Awakening and Fates have a large enough roster between them after all where they could easily make another game with mainly those two games.

Because they might be banking on FE Warriors drawing in the FE fans to Warriors in general, and also because in that sense they aren't just appealing to FE fans.  Crossovers generally are made with the hope that they'll make a bridge between fandoms.  And if Jedi is any indication, Warriors fans don't get so worked up over rosters in the way FE fans do.

And the important thing is them solidifying a series.  If they can draw in a large enough crowd for the first game, then as long as they offer a substantial amount of fresh and new content in the second game, most of the fans won't care too much whether or not it has new or old characters, which leaves the devs some creative freedom.  And I think regardless of the sequel, we'll still probably get some DLC for older characters, as the DLC cycle likely wouldn't last for as long as it'd take FE Switch to be released.

I think back to FE Heroes.  They included characters from Elibe, Archanea, Ylisse, and Fates, then later included characters from the other games.  I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same here unless the interviews were pure lies and they really are just looking to turn this into a shameless cash cow.

25 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

There is no guarantee that even if fans who are let down support this game the creators will be fair in creating the roster next time around. 

What lovely pessimism, regardless of opinions regarding 13/14/Archenea the article still said that the inclusion of characters from other entries would likely happen in a follow up purely due to the fact that using a more diverse cast was argued through the development. regardless of what makes this project succeed the interest is still there by the people working on it. besides they will use most if not all of the worthwhile characters from 13/14/Archenea in this one entry.

5 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

While I apperciate the understanding, you seem to lack knowledge on just how hardcore people are about Smashes characters, they mean literally everything to a vast majority of who may be interested in smash.  You aren't going to convince someone to play Smash who doesn't like Nintendo properties to begin with. 

My way of suggesting support for the game is for those who may be interested in the concept, not those who may be skeptical of the direction of a Warriors based game, I fully understand that this crossover isn't going to appeal to everyone, this was merely a call to arms for the people who may be on the fence or may be interested. 

You are taking my point and pulling it into an extreme, I'd rather you not do that.

2 hours ago, Book Bro said:

I mean considering the dev team themselves were split on what FE's to use and then strong armed by Nintendo shows that they wanted to use unorthodox characters to begin with, so success would likely lead to them having more creative control.

I mean if you want to be pessimistic go ahead, it could easily fall in either direction.

Edited by Jedi

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

While I apperciate the understanding, you seem to lack knowledge on just how hardcore people are about Smashes characters, they mean literally everything to a vast majority of who may be interested in smash.  You aren't going to convince someone to play Smash who doesn't like Nintendo properties to begin with. 

My way of suggesting support for the game is for those who may be interested in the concept, not those who may be skeptical of the direction of a Warriors based game, I fully understand that this crossover isn't going to appeal to everyone, this was merely a call to arms for the people who may be on the fence or may be interested. 

You are taking my point and pulling it into an extreme, I'd rather you not do that.

I mean considering the dev team themselves were split on what FE's to use and then strong armed by Nintendo shows that they wanted to use unorthodox characters to begin with, so success would likely lead to them having more creative control.

I mean if you want to be pessimistic go ahead, it could easily fall in either direction.

Strong armed seems a little harsh considering it's their IP. Besides, if they were having trouble deciding or about to shoot themselves in the foot by not including certain characters, they may have done them a favor.

Personally im still curious what odd character they are going to show us next that not many people expected. if we get marths crew and fates royals out of the way. that could lead up trailers to showing popular and unexpected characters that we could play as. which i hope would make people look more positively onto the game. lord knows how interesting xai (the transforming character in shadow dragon) would play in this game if he was implimented.

3 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Strong armed seems a little harsh considering it's their IP. Besides, if they were having trouble deciding or about to shoot themselves in the foot by not including certain characters, they may have done them a favor.

Nintendo should let people have some fun with their IP's, and then I'd be less harsh on them as a whole, but thats an entirely different can of worms I'd not like to open here.

I mean I can understand why they're so defensive, but it shows a lack of confidence in 3rd parties, and i'll leave it at that.

Edited by Jedi

5 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Nintendo should let people have some fun with their IP's, and then I'd be less harsh on them as a whole, but thats an entirely different can of worms I'd not like to open here.

I mean I can understand why they're so defensive, but it shows a lack of confidence in 3rd parties, and i'll leave it at that.

One could also argue that KT may not even be bothering to put much effort into special requests. Really, Nintendo has every right to lay down some rules.

10 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

One could also argue that KT may not even be bothering to put much effort into special requests. Really, Nintendo has every right to lay down some rules.

Ooo! I'm really curious, could you elaborate the part I bolded? I know that KT sent the roster to IS and Ninty and they both wanted characters to be added, but what makes it seem as if KT isn't putting much effort in?

7 minutes ago, Pokechu said:

Ooo! I'm really curious, could you elaborate the part I bolded? I know that KT sent the roster to IS and Ninty and they both wanted characters to be added, but what makes it seem as if KT isn't putting much effort in?

It's all speculation at this point really. Mostly in regards to Lucina being a probable request who they mostly just reused old moves.

4 hours ago, Pokechu said:

I would love to see a sequel to this, and I'm really hyped to play as a variety of Fire Emblem characters. But I think saying (not saying you said this, this is just how it comes off to some though) "oh get over the roster", "if you don't know what Warriors is like buy it regardless", and "get it so we can get a sequel" is the wrong way to go about it. If they have taken an interest in the game, yeah definitely try to sell it to them, but telling them to just "at least buy it and try it" isn't very fair.

Oh no, I meant to say if they have any interest in the game despite concerns with the roster and/or the gameplay, then they ought to try it. I phrased it horribly. Far be it from me to tell anyone how to spend their money, like I had mentioned. I knew the "compromise" was rather dumb to say. I apologize for that.

I would only say "oh get over the roster" to the annoying commenters who can't stop whining about it. Sorry for coming off that way. I should probably stop reading Youtube comments on FEW vids, among other things...

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

While I appreciate the understanding, you seem to lack knowledge on just how hardcore people are about Smashes characters, they mean literally everything to a vast majority of who may be interested in smash.  You aren't going to convince someone to play Smash who doesn't like Nintendo properties to begin with. 

Bolded: I said that, even knowing how seriously Smash's roster is taken. I was fooling myself. Not an apt comparison indeed. It was aberrant of me. :|

Sorry about that. I did not intend to misconstrue your point or take it to an extreme. I'm very straightforward, and sometimes I end up way on one edge of a spectrum. I would never tell someone to buy the game if they weren't interested in its concept. I'm not so foolhardy, I promise you that. Xaos doesn't have to buy the game if s/he feels Warriors games are not his/her cup of tea, for instance.

To be blunt, I've been exhausted from the whole speculation of the roster and complaints thereof. Not that I'm trying to make up excuses. I should probably reevaluate my own thoughts.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

20 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Never mind the fact that Lucina and Chrom fight similarly, since Chrom taught Lucina.

Not saying that they didn't rush Lucina's moveset, but at least fighting similarly to Chrom makes sense, unlike, say, copying Marth.

True, and I'm willing to hold judgment until I see the entire moveset. If they throw in at the least her animations from Awakening (since they have different animations), then that's better. We'll also wait to see if any others look rushed.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

Do you have a developer note saying that they put in less effort? 

I have notes here (the interview), saying Nintendo and IS are laying strict guidelines down and it may even run into movesets potentially, especially considering in Hyrule Warriors (which didn't have much Nintendo strong arming in comparison) had effectively 4 Links who all fought 100% differently. 

But theres also the possibly that her fighting similarly to Chrom is just KT being intentional with it considering they actually adhere to source materialEven incorporating things from Romance of the Three Kingdoms into Dynasty Warriors weapons & designs, Hyrule Warriors generally has tons of nods to Zelda (such as Medli getting dizzy when she does an aerial move, Sheik having all the elemental songs from Ocarina of Time in her moveset, and even going on this game, little things like Ryoma doing the kick from the Fates Swordmaster critical animation, having dual wielding in a few moves, Chrom having the spinning slash from his and Lucina's duel etc.). I could go on for quite some time be it on Dynasty Warriors Gundam and other spinoffs as well.

I'm really not getting "less effort" from her, its more like its accurate. Is it a boring way to do it? Sure, but it works and its true to the source material. 

@Baron the Shining Blade Its fine, I'm pretty straightforward myself I think I may have cut deep on accident on you when you meant well, sorry about that.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

The more I think about it, and the more I think about "unorthodox" characters, the more I want the game to do well. Which brings me back around to wanting to buy this.

Imagine the possibilities. Imagine Marty going toe-to-toe with Barthe. I mean, there's 0 chance of that, even if they pick super obscure, but trying to imagine those two extreme units and how a fight between them would go down would be so dumb.

36 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Do you have a developer note saying that they put in less effort? 

I have notes here (the interview), saying Nintendo and IS are laying strict guidelines down and it may even run into movesets potentially, especially considering in Hyrule Warriors (which didn't have much Nintendo strong arming in comparison) had effectively 4 Links who all fought 100% differently. 

But theres also the possibly that her fighting similarly to Chrom is just KT being intentional with it considering they actually adhere to source materialEven incorporating things from Romance of the Three Kingdoms into Dynasty Warriors weapons & designs, Hyrule Warriors generally has tons of nods to Zelda (such as Medli getting dizzy when she does an aerial move, Sheik having all the elemental songs from Ocarina of Time in her moveset, and even going on this game, little things like Ryoma doing the kick from the Fates Swordmaster critical animation, having dual wielding in a few moves, Chrom having the spinning slash from his and Lucina's duel etc.). I could go on for quite some time be it on Dynasty Warriors Gundam and other spinoffs as well.

I'm really not getting "less effort" from her, its more like its accurate. Is it a boring way to do it? Sure, but it works and its true to the source material. 

@Baron the Shining Blade Its fine, I'm pretty straightforward myself I think I may have cut deep on accident on you when you meant well, sorry about that.

And they are well withing their rights to lay down those guidelines. It's not strong arming, it's making sure that their property is used the way they want. I don't see a problem with this.

As I mentioned before, I'm holding off until I see the full moveset, but if there aren't at least the few unique Awakening animations, then I think the less effort call may be warranted.

10 hours ago, Thany said:

Personally im still curious what odd character they are going to show us next that not many people expected. if we get marths crew and fates royals out of the way. that could lead up trailers to showing popular and unexpected characters that we could play as. which i hope would make people look more positively onto the game. lord knows how interesting xai (the transforming character in shadow dragon) would play in this game if he was implimented.

Im really hoping we get the Fates Royals out of the way early, like next announcement early. While I like them in Fates, They are taking up so many potential slots its annoying. There are so many characters from Fates I would love to see in the game that are potentially being shoved aside for Camilla, Hinoka, Taco Meat, Leo, and the 2 little sisters. I would much rather Ryoma and Xander's retainers, Jakob/Felicia, and Gunter than them.

From Fates, I would just like Hinoka, Takumi, Kaze, and Silas... Silas could be a lance cav which we don't have yet. Peri could fill that niche too, but I'm pretty sure she's hated. I don't like her at all either. Meanwhile I recall Silas being a fairly popular husband for female Corrin.

He's also my favorite Fates character besides Ryoma. ^^ (and as you might've guessed, yes, my Corrin married Silas too. lol)

Kaze is the obvious choice for dagger/shuriken wielder, imo. And he's cooler than his bro. He also had more story presence. Yeah, Jakob and Felicia are also choices here, but Kaze is just cooler, man. And I think more popular than either of them.

Edited by Anacybele