A PSA from your FE Warriors Editor

Jedi

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

They apparently didn't care too much about the FE ones and that's what matters here.

Hmm, SD didn't have an official popularity poll and it's possible that KT's picks mostly aligned with the Awakening/Fates popularity polls, but for some specific choices that scored high, IS made a request for them. That may be how we got Lucina and the other (unrevealed lol) ones.

46 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

They apparently didn't care too much about the FE ones and that's what matters here.

It feels like you're really stretching, trying to badmouth KT as a counter to everything I say without substantial proof or sources. 

They generally pick fan favorites, and tend to also pick their favorites in a balance, I learned this from being a fan of both companies before their merger and how they go about game design. 

Edited by Jedi

11 hours ago, Jedi said:

It feels like you're really stretching, trying to badmouth KT as a counter to everything I say without substantial proof or sources. 

They generally pick fan favorites, and tend to also pick their favorites in a balance, I learned this from being a fan of both companies before their merger and how they go about game design. 

If they were paying attention, Nintendo shouldn't have had to step in. And you also seem a bit too keen to badmouth Nintendo's role in this.

16 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

It still seems odd to expect no governance when working with other people's IP. We aren't going to agree, but perhaps you should avoid saying things like they were strong armed if you don't want people to oppose you.

Wait

17 hours ago, Folt said:

Ah yes, this is actually true; from the mouth of Hayashi himself in regards to HW:

[Cited dialogue]

This just...did you miss this?

13 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

33 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

If they were paying attention, Nintendo shouldn't have had to step in. And you also seem a bit too keen to badmouth Nintendo's role in this.

I'm confused, are you insulting Koei-Tecmo or Nintendo here?

21 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Nintendo is really....weird when it comes to overseeing series. They seemed to be fairly supportive with Hyrule warriors and their reaction to the Bayoneta team wondering if they should tone her down their reaction was pretty much ''Are you guys nuts?''

But with Paper Mario they seemed to have deliberately tried to strip it of its identity and shove it towards the style of new super Mario bros. The less said about Metroid the better. 

That's mostly because it's usually not the same people making the same decisions. Nintendo is one company, but it's composed of different developers and that of course is going to result in different treatment of their franchises. For instance, HW is probably hands off because the developers behind Zelda were more hands-off and allowed them the freedom to do as they wanted with a couple caveats (ex. Miyamoto suggesting the game was more DW then Zelda). On the opposite end you have Other M, which is mostly due to Sakamoto (Metroid's producer) being given too much creative control and thus restricting Team Ninja from implementing some of their ideas and of course contributing the story (which yeah, less said the better).

I can't speak for FE: Warriors, but I get the feeling the decisions will fall more on IS then it would Nintendo as a whole. IS is the primary driver of the FE IP, so they probably would be more involved in most creative decisions then just the Nintendo higher-ups themselves. Additionally, considering the differences between the treatment of HW and this game, IS could be more responsible since Nintendo's higher-ups had no problem with the hands-off approach with the former whereas the latter seems to be getting stricter supervision. Granted, it's hard to say without fully understanding the climate behind the development of the game, but either way I doubt we can blame only Nintendo for whatever goes wrong with the game from a creative standpoint.

Edited by Medeus

1 hour ago, Elieson said:

Wait

This just...did you miss this?

I'm confused, are you insulting Koei-Tecmo or Nintendo here?

If I'm insulting anyone, it's KT. Honestly, I don't think anything is actually wrong. Some people just think Nintendo is being unfair in their restrictions even if the developers themselves don't seem to really care.

26 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

If I'm insulting anyone, it's KT. Honestly, I don't think anything is actually wrong. Some people just think Nintendo is being unfair in their restrictions even if the developers themselves don't seem to really care.

Hayashi: That’s why this time we’re also creating it from viewpoint of the fans, and with a good sense too.

Usuda: That’s right. Homages to the scenes in the original games will be well represented, so please look forward to that.

How does this come off as not caring, may I ask.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:06 PM, Jedi said:

While I apperciate the understanding, you seem to lack knowledge on just how hardcore people are about Smashes characters, they mean literally everything to a vast majority of who may be interested in smash.  You aren't going to convince someone to play Smash who doesn't like Nintendo properties to begin with. 

My way of suggesting support for the game is for those who may be interested in the concept, not those who may be skeptical of the direction of a Warriors based game, I fully understand that this crossover isn't going to appeal to everyone, this was merely a call to arms for the people who may be on the fence or may be interested. 

You are taking my point and pulling it into an extreme, I'd rather you not do that.

I mean considering the dev team themselves were split on what FE's to use and then strong armed by Nintendo shows that they wanted to use unorthodox characters to begin with, so success would likely lead to them having more creative control.

I mean if you want to be pessimistic go ahead, it could easily fall in either direction.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:14 PM, Arthur97 said:

Strong armed seems a little harsh considering it's their IP. Besides, if they were having trouble deciding or about to shoot themselves in the foot by not including certain characters, they may have done them a favor.

Strong-armed is one thing. Shooting themselves in the foot is another thing. It reads like there was just communication of suggested/requested characters that a third party org didn't feel like putting up a fight over:

Interview Excerpt:

Hayashi: There’s a reason to this. If we only put protagonists from each titles, the majority would be dominated by characters who use Swords. And in that case, the Weapon Triangle system would end up not functioning.

Yokota: About the appearing characters, we ended up making Koei Tecmo Games really troubled (wry laugh). First, Koei Tecmo Games asked ‘how about this character lineup?’ and sent a list to us, but from within our company (Nintendo), there were so many requests like ‘please add these’…

Higuchi: After that, the list also came to our company (IS), but there were also opinions on ‘please add these’…

Famitsu: And [the list] kept getting added.

Hayashi: By combining such various opinions, we finalized the participating characters. As a result, we are preparing more playable characters than the 1st titles of other collab Warriors series! We are also adding Archer and Mage-type characters in there, taking a balance of classes.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

How does this come off as not caring, may I ask.

I meant that they didn't care that Nintendo had input. If anything, they seem to appreciate it, but that could be to stay in good graces so who knows.

Edited by Arthur97

Guys, do we gotta argue like this? It doesn't seem very positive. :(

I don't mean to bring this kind of stuff up so much, but how about we just talk about how awesome it's going to be to hear Kyle Hebert voicing whole conversations for a certain knight in this game? :3

I'm also looking forward to how amusing it's gonna be for Matt Mercer to be talking to himself if Chrom and Ryoma get conversations. lol Mercer does better as Ryoma though, imo. Chrom sounds bored and even a bit quiet sometimes. Ryoma never does as far as I've seen, and he's got a slightly deeper tone too.

I'd love to have Travis Willingham voice in this game too, but the only possible characters he does are Lon'qu who'd be redundant with Ryoma existing, and Garon who may or may not be in and nobody seems to care about him. I don't care about him either. xP

But I guess he could be an unknown OC too, so there's always that!

Edited by Anacybele

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't mean to bring this kind of stuff up so much, but how about we just talk about how awesome it's going to be to hear Kyle Hebert voicing whole conversations for a certain knight in this game? :3

Yeah! I just know he's going to kill it as Valbar! He's very unlikely though because he's from Echoes and not SD/Fates/Awakening :'-( 

It might just be me but I don't mind people having some debates here at all, and they're being pretty civil about it. This sub-forum is pretty dead to be honest. There's not much we can discuss that we haven't already lol, and it'll probably be a while until we get more news. But this is just my two cents :lol:

9 minutes ago, Pokechu said:

Yeah! I just know he's going to kill it as Valbar! He's very unlikely though because he's from Echoes and not SD/Fates/Awakening :'-( 

It might just be me but I don't mind people having some debates here at all, and they're being pretty civil about it. This sub-forum is pretty dead to be honest. There's not much we can discuss that we haven't already lol, and it'll probably be a while until we get more news. But this is just my two cents :lol:

I was talking about Frederick... :/ Didn't you know Hebert voices him too? In fact. Frederick is probably his most notable FE role at this point.

Yeah, the debating isn't heated or anything, but it's not the most positive we could be about the game either.

And yeah, I'm dying for more news too! We still haven't seen ANY gameplay on Frederick because he was the only new character not playable in that French demo. So us Freddy fans have been left in the dust. He probably wasn't quite finished yet (can't imagine why, I'd think he'd be a bit higher priority since it's late in development at this point. Maybe it was balancing issues or bugs), but still.

I'm looking forward to who the rest of the Fates and Shadow Dragon cast are too. And if we actually get anyone else in the base game before DLC is talked about.

As of now though, Frederick is the only playable character who is not a royal in any form. :P lol (Robin is one because Validar became a king)

Edited by Anacybele

Despite the fact that the developers themselves want to include older characters, I still have trouble finding the desire to commit to getting FE Warriors for quite a few reasons:

• The currently known roster: right now, it's just Marth, a few OCs, 3 Fates characters, and several Awakening characters; I want to see more first.
  • I only own a legacy 3DS system; FE Musou is for New 3DS and Switch, meaning if I want to actually play, I'd have to get a new console in addition to the game.
  • I've only played 2 musou-style games and I did not have particularly captivating gameplay experiences from either of them (Hyrule Warriors had a hard time maintaining my interest especially with how long maps are and I found Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson harder to play compared to its 2.5D sidescroller predecessor, Senran Kagura Burst).

Right now, I can only really support the game by getting the Chrom and Tiki amiibo figures (provided that they're not in short supply).

Edited by Roflolxp54

20 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Since Echoes totally killed it with their awesome voice acting in Echoes, no doubt comes to my mind that all the Fire Emblem games will feature voice acting.

Oh yes, I hope it means all future FEs will be fully voiced! That'll mean that if Tellius is remade, it'll have that treatment! How awesome it'd be to bring Jason Adkins or Greg Chun in to do that for Ike!

Though at this point, Greg Chun is probably taking over PoR Ike officially at least. By the time these remakes come around, Jason Adkins may be too old to properly voice a teenager and Chun does a good enough job imitating his PoR Ike anyway. But Adkins could probably still do RD Ike who's a bit older and had a slightly deeper tone anyway as far as I could tell. Depending on when RD gets its turn, anyway.

22 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:
  • I've only played 2 musou-style games and I did not have particularly captivating gameplay experiences from either of them (Hyrule Warriors had a hard time maintaining my interest especially with how long maps are and I found Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson harder to play compared to its 2.5D sidescroller predecessor, Senran Kagura Burst).

Personally, I don't think SK is a musou.  It has extremely similar gameplay, in that you beat up hordes of enemies and charge a super meter, but SK doesn't have any strategic elements.  They're really a lot closer to the old-school beat-em-ups like Double Dragon, because there's only ever one objective.  Most games I consider musou games (like HW, WO3, or Fate/Extella) have strategic game play across the map, while games like SK focus solely on your character and killing what's in front of you.  HW used a similar approach for some of the adventure maps, but that was largely to provide variation in gameplay.

For you specifically, if you had difficulty focusing on HW due to map length, you probably would have the same issue with FEW.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yes, I hope it means all future FEs will be fully voiced! That'll mean that if Tellius is remade, it'll have that treatment! How awesome it'd be to bring Jason Adkins or Greg Chun in to do that for Ike!

Though at this point, Greg Chun is probably taking over PoR Ike officially at least. By the time these remakes come around, Jason Adkins may be too old to properly voice a teenager and Chun does a good enough job imitating his PoR Ike anyway. But Adkins could probably still do RD Ike who's a bit older and had a slightly deeper tone anyway as far as I could tell. Depending on when RD gets its turn, anyway.

Thing is though is how full voice acting works in regards to Avatars in the actual game. Like, I know that the Warriors game will refer to Robin and Corrin by their default name, but I mean, what about if we had full voice acting in Awakening or Fates. How would one refer to Robin and Corrin, if they were named Bob or Mary by the player?

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Thing is though is how full voice acting works in regards to Avatars in the actual game. Like, I know that the Warriors game will refer to Robin and Corrin by their default name, but I mean, what about if we had full voice acting in Awakening or Fates. How would one refer to Robin and Corrin, if they were named Bob or Mary by the player?

Well, in those cases, either the Avatar would have to be reworked a bit or full voice acting would only go in games and remakes that have no Avatars.

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Nicknames, titles, or just omitting the name from the spoken dialogue works for most games.  It does make it impersonal, but full VA isn't compatible with full character customization.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, in those cases, either the Avatar would have to be reworked a bit or full voice acting would only go in games and remakes that have no Avatars.

Interestingly enough theres an example in Final Fantasy X, the MC is named Tidus but you can change his name, however like the entire game he's referred to as "you" or other such words. 

Star Ocean 3, just kept the default names in the vaing even if you changed them, and some as, Yotsu just mentioned will refer to the player character as a title or nickname. Dragon Ball Xenoverse for instance uses "Time Patroller" or "Partner" seeing as you are, Trunks partner in the Time Patrol.

Edited by Jedi

Hyrule Warriors was trash, but it was the kind of trash I could roll around in for hours at a time, maybe it was the never ending grind, the promise of "unlockables" or Ganondorf's sexy mane... Anyway, this game doesn't look too different! It's got janky animations, "oh, oh no" remixes and amazing toe-curling dialogue. I cannot wait!

I'm also eagerly awaiting the self-insert-romance villain, I know guys are rattled because they won't be playing as Devdan anytime soon but please. I need my cheese.

I'm hoping for some new news or at least some new gameplay by the end of next week. Not sure if we'll get anything besides maybe the other two bond conversations though, but there really isn't anything else going on. Next Friday is exactly two months until release in Japan and it will also have been three weeks without anything new, so there might be a some sort of chance of them releasing something.

If they release something I'm not sure what it will be, but we still have yet to properly see the Awakening characters in action. If we're really lucky they might give us some Fates characters but I think that'll probably be more in early or mid August.

46 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Interestingly enough theres an example in Final Fantasy X, the MC is named Tidus but you can change his name, however like the entire game he's referred to as "you" or other such words. 

Star Ocean 3, just kept the default names in the vaing even if you changed them, and some as, Yotsu just mentioned will refer to the player character as a title or nickname. Dragon Ball Xenoverse for instance uses "Time Patroller" or "Partner" seeing as you are, Trunks partner in the Time Patrol.

Huh, that is interesting. That's pretty much how this one kids book I had a long time ago did things. It was a Scooby Doo and You mystery story where the reader was part of the story. You had a little clue keeper book to go with it to write down the clues to the mystery. It was just a book, so obviously no voices, but the Scooby gang still simply referred to the reader as "you" or "our friend" and stuff like that. So yeah, maybe it could work like you're saying.

I hope we get some more gameplay soon. It's hard waiting to see more Frederick. Frederick is all I need and I'll be good until more Fates and Archanea characters are revealed... xP

But I realized a problem though. Remember when I said I wanted to try recording footage and making a video when I'm able to? I remembered I no longer have Windows Movie Maker, which was the only video making software I had. I had to delete Windows Essentials entirely because my Photo Gallery quit working. I kept getting an error message when trying to pull it up, and I believe some file in the Windows Essentials was corrupted. I wanted to re-install, but I found out Windows Essentials stopped being supported back in January.

So I no longer have a program for making videos. Ugh.

Edited by Anacybele