A PSA from your FE Warriors Editor

Jedi

From the interview of the Staff on FE Warriors we got some tidbits on character choices and potential sequel stuff. http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-devs-on-how-the-game-came-to-be-choosing-characters-games-original-characters-more

"ND: Why do you have three titles as the basis this time?

Hayashi: Because we want to make it a Warriors game where you can properly use the distinguished classes. Even so, if we were to put in protagonists from every series, most of them would end up becoming Lords. In that case everyone would have swords, so there wouldn’t be any strategic systems with switching characters or even anything else. So just like how we chose three 3D titles in Hyrule Warriors, we’re doing the same selection method too this time. That means we want to put an emphasis on the gameplay of switching classes, so we went on with narrowing down the titles… However, just like the fans, even a number of our own staffs cannot fathom it.

Usuda: Exactly so.

-Everybody laughs-

Hayashi: Some staff even got into quarrels with us to the point that they were saying ‘I’m going to leave this project’. They said bizarre things like ‘Hayashi doesn’t know anything about Fire Emblem!’. Even I had to make this bitter decision, because if we didn’t narrow them down it wouldn’t develop into [proper] gameplay! (laughs)

ND: It’s precisely because they have fondness towards the characters. So how did you manage to convince them?

Hayashi: If this game is well-received, we may be able to make a sequel (laughs). That’s why this time we’d like to narrow it down."

This seems to indicate if the game is successful and we get a sequel we'll see even more games & characters from those games show up. 

It might also allow some more creative freedom as it seems like Ninty & IS are being pretty strong army about this whole thing. 

So as your Warriors editor, I implore you if you have even the slightest interest in this game, (and have the money of course). Show your support, not only because is it looking like a fun mash up of the Warriors & FE style, but for more of these, and more and more characters so we get the ridiculous roster sizes that FE would surely benefit from.

I love Warriors and Fire Emblem, and i've been waiting for this stuff for well basically since I first became an FE fan. This game is looking great, and if we can potentially have more of them, that would be wonderful for everyone who enjoys these types of games. 

And heres the quote on the strong arm stuff, the original formatting got messed up.

Hayashi: We had a really hectic time in choosing them. At first our company considered from the weapons first and sent the proposal

• , but Intelligent Systems pointed us to the results of popularity polls, and Nintendo also told us ‘please add this character’, so we adjusted it little by little.

ND: Will the appearing characters be equally numbered from each series?

Usuda: They won’t be exactly equal. In exchange for that, the total number of characters is a lot for the first title in a collaborative Warriors game.

Hayashi: Other collaboration Warriors including Hyrule Warriors at first only had around eight to fifteen characters, but this time it will exceed them in a large scale. They’re being physically added so it’s getting hectic, but we feel we must pour our full effort here. Even so, the fans will still end up thinking it’s not enough. So although we do feel sorry about that, we’re doing our utmost to our limits.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna lie, this feels mildly like... I dunno, you're shilling them? People who have only mild interest in the game and don't want to commit aren't going to because a hypothetical follow up *may* prove more satisfactory. If the game fails to meet its target (going into hypotheticals again), the blame lays (seemingly quite squarely now) more on IS and Nintendo for pushing "popularity" instead of unique choices.

This post was going to be a lot longer, but it was basically "if this game fails IS and Ninty have nobody but themselves to blame (yet again)."

9 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Not gonna lie, this feels mildly like... I dunno, you're shilling them? People who have only mild interest in the game and don't want to commit aren't going to because a hypothetical follow up *may* prove more satisfactory. If the game fails to meet its target (going into hypotheticals again), the blame lays (seemingly quite squarely now) more on IS and Nintendo for pushing "popularity" instead of unique choices.

This post was going to be a lot longer, but it was basically "if this game fails IS and Ninty have nobody but themselves to blame (yet again)."

Yeah. As it stands, I have really no interest in FEW. And it's mostly because of the character roster. Saying that if I actually want a game that has characters I like, then I should buy this game I don't want just makes me want to buy this even less.

The Warriors games are not my cup of tea, but Hyrule Warriors was an enjoyable experience for a few dozen hours, and so I expect Fire Emblem Warriors to provide the same quality content. It won't be my favorite game ever, but I'll definitely pick it up and enjoy all the fan service, easter eggs and references the game has to offer.

I must say, however, that while I don't want to contribute to an already pretty negative atmosphere surrounding the game, Intelligent Systems have handled this whole affair very poorly. Their comments about being unable to use characters from more games because they'd somehow be bound to only using sword-wielding protagonists - all while introducing three sword-wielding OC's and three sword wielders from Fates - reek of tone deafness. Even if they were to stick to only main/important characters, they could easily provide a more diverse roster than we've seen already, by, for example, including Marth, Hector, Ephraim, Ike, Takumi, Leo and Robin, all very popular characters. 

It doesn't sit well with me that they might release a sequel with more characters. It's effectively holding them hostage or saving them for the inevitable DLC. This would've been a fantastic time to honor the legacy of the series and show how far it has come, and for that I would've rather seen around two characters from every game, rather than 10 from three.

Also, damn does the dialogue worry me. I don't think I've heard this much talk about bonds since the Persona 4 spin-offs.

Edited by Thane

20 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

People who have only mild interest in the game and don't want to commit aren't going to because a hypothetical follow up *may* prove more satisfactory.

This is basically my sentiment.

This isn't really the game I want, but if it sells well THEN they might actually make the game I want?

The Warriors gameplay looks rather uninteresting to me. Smashing through hordes of mostly useless enemy fodder, taking out hundreds of enemies at at time? From the videos so far, the gameplay looks quite awful to be honest. I hear that higher difficulties and more advanced enemies are more interesting, but... if your trailers fail to make your game look like fun, then that's a really bad sign. I'm assuming this is simply what the Warriors games are like in general. The Warriors style gameplay is probably just not for me.

If it had characters I liked from FE7 and 8, I might get it. But if its just SD, Awakening, and Fates, this game has neither gameplay I'm interested in nor characters I like...

Helping fund a potential sequel that might fix one of those issues is hardly a reason to buy a game.

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

Their comments about being unable to use characters from more games because they'd somehow be bound to only using sword-wielding protagonists - all while introducing three sword-wielding OC's and three sword wielders from Fates - reek off tone deafness. Even if they were to stick to only main/important characters, they could easily provide a more diverse roster than we've seen already, by, for example, including Marth, Hector, Ephraim, Ike, Takumi, Leo and Robin, all very popular characters. 

There's also this.

"We don't want too many sword users but so far every character except 1 is a sword user". And the two main characters created just for this game are... sword users? Where is this weapons diversity that supposedly was the reason for focusing only on three games?

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing

24 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Maybe I am shilling, but I love both of these franchises and I want it to succeed regardless of the cost or my image. 

The blame will also be on the general FE fanbase being generally unpleasant elitists. Have you seen our public image? Its generally horrible and for good reason outside of SF (mostly).

13 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Yeah. As it stands, I have really no interest in FEW. And it's mostly because of the character roster. Saying that if I actually want a game that has characters I like, then I should buy this game I don't want just makes me want to buy this even less.

Where on earth did I say to buy it if you're not interested, I said to consider supporting if you are. Reading too deep into my wording just so you can make a toxic comment. 

Edited by Jedi

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Where on earth did I say to buy it if you're not interested, I said to consider supporting if you are. Reading too deep into my wording just so you can make a toxic comment. 

I was more piggy backing off of what Dan said more than targeting you directly. I was exaggerating, but I agreed that it felt like shilling, and it didn't do much to sell me on the game.

Didn't really mean for it to really be a toxic comment.

Edited by Slumber

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The blame will also be on the general FE fanbase being generally unpleasant elitists.

I don't see how the fact that people like myself wanting characters that aren't in SD/Awakening/Fates equates them as being "unpleasant elitists".

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Just now, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't see how wanting characters that aren't in SD/Awakening/Fates equates to the FE fanbase being "unpleasant elitists".

Nah, Jedi's right here. There's nothing wrong with wanting characters from more games - the overwhelming majority does as well - the problem is how some people phrase it. 

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I was more piggy backing off of what Dan said more than targeting you directly. I was exaggerating, but I agreed that it felt like shilling, and it didn't do much to sell me on the game.

Didn't really mean for it to really be a toxic comment.

I perhaps got a tad too emotional in that reply, sorry it just feels like no matter what FE Warriors does, everyone has to nitpick it, this goes into my own articles, and such. It makes me want to do stuff less and less. 

This whole deal was just a little cry of support, and perhaps I went about it wrong. 

4 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't see how wanting characters that aren't in SD/Awakening/Fates equates to the FE fanbase being "unpleasant elitists".

Its more how people go about it, every single comment section will complain about Ike & Lyn not being in the game and yet in the same vein they will complain about swordies being picked. We as a general fanbase are hypocritical. 

Edited by Jedi

I initially lost a lot of interest when it was revealed that it would pretty much be Fates, Awakening, and SD only, partly because most of my favorite characters are not from those games and I had doubts that my one big favorite that IS would be in (Frederick, due to lack of popularity). I like Ryoma too, but I don't buy games just for one character.

But Frederick is in, and both he and Ryoma look badass. I can't resist buying the game. Already preordered it. :3

I do hope the game does well enough for a sequel to come! If Ike doesn't get in the first game, he would definitely appear in a sequel and that's one thing I would LOVE to see. I would just hope Frederick, Ryoma, etc. return as playable too.

Edited by Anacybele

The other fact of the matter is that, no matter which 3 games they picked we'd still have a hugely vocal negative stigma about the game, just because "My game didn't get picked."

Edited by Jedi

7 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

The Warriors gameplay looks rather uninteresting to me. Smashing through hordes of mostly useless enemy fodder, taking out hundreds of enemies at at time? From the videos so far, the gameplay looks quite awful to be honest.

To be fair, with Warriors games, seeing gameplay is nowhere near indicative of how good the game will play. When I first saw gameplay of SW4? I quite honestly though it was shit, but upon playing it, having the character's actions in my hands, it felt so good. It's the kind of series that you can't just watch, as all the cathartic feelings are trasferred through your own choices in the battle. Warriors games far too often get labelled as mindless, but I think it's the exact opposite. Playing these games while being mindless will get you Game Overs screens quick. 

I will say that while I'm annoyed that in recent Warriors titles (Berserk, Hyrule, SW4), getting 1000 kills is an expectation, where as older games make it feel like a true accomplishment, and FEW seems to be going off the new age of things, it seems like the enemy density plays into that a lot, and the KO count in FEW shows that the Switch isn't slacking on processing power, which can only mean it'll be a quality experience, at least as far as Warriors games go.

I'm not meaning for this to change anyone's minds, but Warriors IS a series that generally isn't fun to watch, but is a blast to play, and I hope someone keeps that in mind when considering buying FEW.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I perhaps got a tad too emotional in that reply, sorry it just feels like no matter what FE Warriors does, everyone has to nitpick it, this goes into my own articles, and such. It makes me want to do stuff less and less. 

This whole deal was just a little cry of support, and perhaps I went about it wrong. 

Its more how people go about it, every single comment section will complain about Ike & Lyn not being in the game and yet in the same vein they will complain about swordies being picked. We as a general fanbase are hypocritical. 

Yeah, as painful as it sounds, this is very much true. I see tons of double standards regarding a lot of things involving this series, like how people claim TMS didn't sell because it was only an Archanea/Ylisse roster and then claim the game's whole concept was shit.

On topic, I'm hyped for the game and buying it Day 1. I was never expecting too many universes featured on the base roster anyway, but there are characters I like in all the games so I'm fine with that. I'm also expecting characters from others games as DLC.

I'm mostly in it for the gameplay (unlike most people it seems), so the idea that there could be a sequel is good news to me.

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The other fact of the matter is that, no matter which 3 games they picked we'd still have a hugely vocal negative stigma about the game, just because "My game didn't get picked."

Weeeeeeeell if those three games were Blazing Sword/Sacred Stones/Path of Radiance, then I'm sure that most of this forum/the Internet would be complaining less. It probably wouldn't sell as much though, since it wouldn't appeal to the Awakening/Fates audience.

Edited by Lightchao42

4 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

To be fair, with Warriors games, seeing gameplay is nowhere near indicative of how good the game will play. When I first saw gameplay of SW4? I quite honestly though it was shit, but upon playing it, having the character's actions in my hands, it felt so good. It's the kind of series that you can't just watch, as all the cathartic feelings are trasferred through your own choices in the battle. Warriors games far too often get labelled as mindless, but I think it's the exact opposite. Playing these games while being mindless will get you Game Overs screens quick. 

I will say that while I'm annoyed that in recent Warriors titles (Berserk, Hyrule, SW4), getting 1000 kills is an expectation, where as older games make it feel like a true accomplishment, and FEW seems to be going off the new age of things, it seems like the enemy density plays into that a lot, and the KO count in FEW shows that the Switch isn't slacking on processing power, which can only mean it'll be a quality experience, at least as far as Warriors games go.

I'm not meaning for this to change anyone's minds, but Warriors IS a series that generally isn't fun to watch, but is a blast to play, and I hope someone keeps that in mind when considering buying FEW.

Yeah, this post entirely!

I wasn't too sure about HW myself when it first became a thing. Aesthetically, it looked great, but I wasn't sure if that kind of gameplay was for me. But because it was Zelda, I got it, and I loved it. Turned out that I'm not that great at Warriors gameplay either. lol There was so much I didn't complete and I didn't even unlock all the adventure mode characters (only got Ghirahim and I think Ruto). But I still had a lot of fun!

I also agree that this fandom can be hypocritical and you simply can't please everyone. There will always be salt somewhere.

As soon as I saw the trailer I knew I was picking this game up. Even with a restricted roster I believe the game will be a lot of fun and the gameplay has only helped to build my hype. 

I can see how people would enjoy playing with their favourite characters to more but for me even if Leo was replaced with someone like Reinhardt I would still enjoy the game. The gameplay has sold this game for me not it's roster. If the gameplay was rubbish then I wouldn't like the game or consider buying it even if my favourite characters were in it.

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I'm mostly in it for the gameplay (unlike most people it seems), so the idea that there could be a sequel is good news to me.

Weeeeeeeell if those three games were Blazing Sword/Sacred Stones/Path of Radiance, then I'm sure that most of this forum/the Internet would be complaining less. It probably wouldn't sell as much though, since it wouldn't appeal to the Awakening/Fates audience.

Actually, I'm willing to bet if the three universes featured in the game were Elibe/Magvel/Tellius with all the others confirmed not to be in, the complaining would be even larger. Yes, even here. I don't know why people think that Awakening/Fates fans don't post on the Internet. I see them everywhere I go.

Heck, Tumblr and Twitter would be a freaking shitstorm in that scenario, I can assure you that.

6 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

It probably wouldn't sell as much though, since it wouldn't appeal to the Awakening/Fates audience.

And that's just the thing, isn't it. It seems like a lot of people would rather the game crash and burn, while having their favorite characters in, rather than realizing how much power the Awakening and Fates titles have in relation to marketing. Admittedly, they haven't handled the cast well up until now, and I'm certain no one would've complained (as much) if the game was just a collection of Lords from all games, swords be damned, but you can't fault them for taking this course, from a sales standpoint. 

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

Also I would like to say sorry if I came off generally too strongly in that OP, if you have your reasons for not supporting it, power to you. It might not appeal to you roster or gameplay wise, I just wanted to try to help a potential spinoff franchise I know I'll like. 

Being in it mainly for the gameplay is absolutely fine. I already knew it was going to be good since I played HW though, so I personally had to look to other things to be the real deciding factor. And what better factor could there be here than the roster? :P

EDIT: @Jedi Don't worry, I think you were fine. You're not doing anything wrong at all as far as I can see! Like you said, you just want support for a potentially kickass spinoff series! More power to ya!

Edited by Anacybele

This didn't really come across as shilling to me...  But then again, I generally have good faith in people until they do something to earn my ire.  I've been in similar situations where I've asked people to get something if they can because I wanted the product to succeed, so I can also relate to Jedi here.  Though I also understand the stigma behind people telling me what to use my money on.  Again, that's not how it came across to me, but I know it probably seemed that way to others.

I do understand Nintendy's reasoning for this, and I genuinely believe it was difficult for some of the IS people, but I suppose we'll see if appealing to the audience through applying the most popular characters to the game helps or harms them in the end.  I'll do what I can to get the game, but I'm a bit strapped for cash and will need to get both a Switch and the game.  Perhaps I'll get the game first just as a show of support, because I know I'll eventually get a Switch (and the game) eventually.  I'd like for them to introduce more characters, both within the 3 games and from other games, especially Tellius and Magvel.

2 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

Also this.  Even though my only experience is HW, I still felt that there was some actual tactical challenges behind the game that aren't immediately apparent.

Just now, Jave said:

Actually, I'm willing to bet if the three universes featured in the game were Elibe/Magvel/Tellius with all the others confirmed not to be in, the complaining would be even larger. Yes, even here. I don't know why people think that Awakening/Fates fans don't post on the Internet. I see them everywhere I go.

I do as well... and my experiences have been... less than pleasant, let's say.  I much prefer this community to the other FE communities I've come across, I'll say that for certain.

I want a FE musou since ages, and I still want it, but I will wait until we see more of the Archanean reps. (Please, throw me a Caeda or Linde... I would even accept Katarina or Nyna)