Fixing your least favorite/ favorite Character

Hero_Lucina

1 minute ago, Azz said:

The thing with blood pact is, Naesala did not sign the pact, he predecessor did. This is why I think what I suggested is an overall better reason for Naesala's actions, as there are much more personal to him and it would be his mistake for siding with Begnion rather than a mistake he inherited, thus making his redemption much more satisfactory.

And the fact that he didn't actually sign the pact makes you want to have sympathy for him. He was forced to fix someone else's mistake and that always sucks.

However, I will agree that it'd would've been even better if it was made to be more personal to him.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't understand why people think the blood pact ruined Naesala. I think it improved him. I didn't like him much in PoR because he seemed like he was being a dick for nothing. There were no clear motives or reasons behind his actions which looked selfish and greedy. Then RD came and made me really like him by actually explaining why he was doing it. He wound up inheriting a country that was under the control of the blood pact which forced him to act the way he did so he could protect his people. It showed that he's not a bad guy just for the sake of it, he had to do the wrong thing in order to do the right thing.

I would've just put a little more depth to the blood pact itself and explain a little more about how it works and who originally invented them.

Some people didn't want Naesala to look quite so nice. PoR established him to have an honest element of goodness in Leanne and willingness to pull away from Daein at Reyson's urging, and then later at the last minute join up. Yet at the same time, his willingness to work for Daein for money in the first place, his raiding of ships in Goldoan and Phoenician waters, and his selling out of Reyson made him a complex character you couldn't love unconditionally. If he was at all greedy, this was fine because he wasn't supposed to be perfectly good- he was an independent and a complex figure neither wholly good nor wholly evil.

The betrayal of the Laguz Alliance, without knowing of the Blood Pact, adds to this ambiguity. And it could have been counterbalanced by him later joining up in opposition to the Senate, thinking cynically that  Sanaki + Crimea + the LA could not possibly lose to Daein and the Senate and wanting to be on the winning side for the sake of the benefits it'd bestow. The Blood Pact steals Naesala's independence as a character- it turns out he was being manipulated into doing what he did against his will. With the betrayal no longer his own act of evil, and his prior act of evil of selling Reyson now in question, the balance sheet of "good Naesala" and "bad Naesala" is a little too slanted for the tastes of some.

As for Naesala looking out for his people's best interests, I don't have a major problem with him saying that in RD. As Travant, the Jugdral character whom Naesala is the second coming of, was the same way (and at one point he told his messenger to send a Beorc one to Petrine instead so they wouldn't die- a touch of love right there). But I do recall that in C28 PoR, Naesala says he is not responsible for what happens to his fellow Ravens when they leave Kilvas- his feelings in response him being told that he should join the war against Ashy due to what he did via Izuka to the Laguz. So Naesala's love for his people isn't boundless.

As for the Blood Pact- something so ridiculously powerful shouldn't have been something you can just ask a nameless generic wandering old man to make. Ashnard should have been able to create it himself, it'd show off his talent and drive for power better, and make him alone responsible for his Father's murder. Furthermore, Naesala somehow is working against the Senate by being Sanaki's bodyguard late RD- how did that not trigger the Pact? Did he find a loophole? Why didn't he find it sooner- like before betraying the LA? He does say fighting Numida he has excellent spies in Begnion- he could've figured out Sanaki's "illness" was a case of coupitis.

And as Tauroneo points out- one could possibly become unaffected by the pact by leaving a country, and how does a curse target a nationality when Micaiah and Jill aren't even of Daein blood (and Ike on the other hand is)? Perhaps they could've rewritten the scope of the Pact to being- "the signer is cursed, and the curse spreads to anyone who comes within close enough contact with anyone else who is cursed" and if you don't know if you're cursed, you'll probably spread it to a lot of people, who'll then spread to the people they know. Though the problem here is that'd it come to affect the entire world eventually, so how do you limit it so it doesn't eventually get to the people who wanted to curse others via the Blood Pact in the first place?

But this is enough of a diversion, ending it here.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Some people didn't want Naesala to look quite so nice. PoR established him to have an honest element of goodness in Leanne and willingness to pull away from Daein at Reyson's urging, and then later at the last minute join up. Yet at the same time, his willingness to work for Daein for money in the first place, his raiding of ships in Goldoan and Phoenician waters, and his selling out of Reyson made him a complex character you couldn't love unconditionally. If he was at all greedy, this was fine because he wasn't supposed to be perfectly good- he was an independent and a complex figure neither wholly good nor wholly evil.

The betrayal of the Laguz Alliance, without knowing of the Blood Pact, adds to this ambiguity. And it could have been counterbalanced by him later joining up in opposition to the Senate, thinking cynically that  Sanaki + Crimea + the LA could not possibly lose to Daein and the Senate and wanting to be on the winning side for the sake of the benefits it'd bestow. The Blood Pact steals Naesala's independence as a character- it turns out he was being manipulated into doing what he did against his will. With the betrayal no longer his own act of evil, and his prior act of evil of selling Reyson now in question, the balance sheet of "good Naesala" and "bad Naesala" is a little too slanted for the tastes of some.

As for Naesala looking out for his people's best interests, I don't have a major problem with him saying that in RD. As Travant, the Jugdral character whom Naesala is the second coming of, was the same way (and at one point he told his messenger to send a Beorc one to Petrine instead so they wouldn't die- a touch of love right there). But I do recall that in C28 PoR, Naesala says he is not responsible for what happens to his fellow Ravens when they leave Kilvas- his feelings in response him being told that he should join the war against Ashy due to what he did via Izuka to the Laguz. So Naesala's love for his people isn't boundless.

As for the Blood Pact- something so ridiculously powerful shouldn't have been something you can just ask a nameless generic wandering old man to make. Ashnard should have been able to create it himself, it'd show off his talent and drive for power better, and make him alone responsible for his Father's murder. Furthermore, Naesala somehow is working against the Senate by being Sanaki's bodyguard late RD- how did that not trigger the Pact? Did he find a loophole? Why didn't he find it sooner- like before betraying the LA? He does say fighting Numida he has excellent spies in Begnion- he could've figured out Sanaki's "illness" was a case of coupitis.

And as Tauroneo points out- one could possibly become unaffected by the pact by leaving a country, and how does a curse target a nationality when Micaiah and Jill aren't even of Daein blood (and Ike on the other hand is)? Perhaps they could've rewritten the scope of the Pact to being- "the signer is cursed, and the curse spreads to anyone who comes within close enough contact with anyone else who is cursed" and if you don't know if you're cursed, you'll probably spread it to a lot of people, who'll then spread to the people they know. Though the problem here is that'd it come to affect the entire world eventually, so how do you limit it so it doesn't eventually get to the people who wanted to curse others via the Blood Pact in the first place?

Naesala was still given no clear reason as to WHY he was willing to work for Daein for money and WHY he sold his FRIEND to Oliver. He said he had reasons, but they weren't established. And this is the problem I had with him. There's always a reason that someone does wrong things. Even if it's something like being historically sociopathic.

And Micaiah didn't sign the blood pact? That was Pelleas, who is of Daein blood. Also, Jill is of Daein blood. Talrega is part of Daein. You're thinking of Marado, which Jill is not from. Marado is the one that appears to be independent to some degree.

Another one from me.

Shinon. Alright, my biggest issue with Shinon is that he is just a dick to be a dick. There are parts of him that are nice to see, like his issues with the obvious favoritism towards Ike, then there are other things that just make you want to kick his teeth in like him joining Daein while knowing what the Mad King is doing. To a certain extent I always wondered why Greil hired such an outwardly racist, borderline cowardly , antagonistic asshole to join his mercs.

First, dont have him join Daein. Up until that point I had no issue with him leaving the Greil Mercs. He had a legitimate reason for leaving, as did Gatrie. But instead of taking the Gatrie route and not siding with the mass murdering psychopath who is clearly not going to be good for anyone involved, he joins them out of what? Spite? He says money, but is that truly the reason why? Is he truly that apathetic to the world that he would risk a mad dictator ruling the world for some gold? I could come to expect this if it was just any merc organization, but considering who Greil was, it seems unlikely Greil would of even hired his ass. Especially when his racism gets thrown into the mix as well. So that gets removed.

So where does he go to after the Greil Mercenaries? Well another issue with Shinon as a whole in PoR is that he joins so late in the game. By then your team is already assembled and probably more powerful than him, especially if you worked on either Astrid or Rolf. So first, let him join earlier. Second, have him be along with one of the other forces somewhere. Let him still be a merc that was hired, but for crying out loud give the man a little bit of a code. I highly doubt Greil would of hired someone as much of a shitbag as Shinon is. So let him be a merc for hire for the remnants of Crimea, or Begnion. Maybe he joins you in the forest chapters, sent out there by Sanaki to aid in the fight, and Shinon has no clue who he is helping. It could of made for a much better "reunion" of the mercs and Shinon than having to have Ike gut his ass and then ask him to rejoin despite him working for Daein.

Moving on to RD. Here I didnt have as much of a problem, but PoR still left some marks on him in my eyes. I think his racism towards Laguz, that is present in both games could of been at least explained. Give him a reason for having a hatred for them outside of being different. The cliched parents killed by Laguz could of worked, maybe a lover killed by the Laguz, or perhaps it was just a wrong upbringing. Either way give him a reason outside of just being a dick. That and tone it down a bit.

I think we these changes you can make Shinon a bit more likeable and a bit more reasonable of a character. I like the idea of him being antagonistic and a bit of a dick, but I think they went too far with him.

I will probably do one on Takumi in a bit. That will be shorter though, I liked his writing as a whole, even though I wanted to shove that bow up his ass. That and I want to do some gameplay oriented ones for a few characters that I liked, but needed some tweaking. Laslow being one of them.

Edited by Tolvir

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Make it so Celica can pass through the center of the desert with a super challenging battle (giant sandworm Terror?) for Deen and Sonya recruitment. More supports overall for SoV would be appreciated- IS went from one extreme to another in quantity.

As far as I can recall, fighting Deen or Sonya isn't due to them being in the way. It's because if Celica didn't defeat one of them, both would have banded together and supported Grieth. But by killing one of them the other basically says "screw Griteh, never liked that guy anyway. He's probably going to loose now." Still your idea could work if both Deen and Sonya appeared as reinforcements for Grieth on the citadel map thus making the condition to recruit both of them even harder.

Speaking of which, it really sucks that Sonya's tied to the Samson-Arran archetype. The fact that she's Judah's daughter should be a way more important plot point deserving an actual role in the story and a glimpse into what the Duma faithful are like at both their best and worst.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The wandering old man makes more sense if you consider the possibility that it's Sephiran. Also Naesala would have been able to get away with being Sanaki's bodyguard so long as the senate never found out. Remember, the blood pact actually needs to be invoked to take effect. It's not automatic.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Naesala was still given no clear reason as to WHY he was willing to work for Daein for money and WHY he sold his FRIEND to Oliver. He said he had reasons, but they weren't established. And this is the problem I had with him. There's always a reason that someone does wrong things. Even if it's something like being historically sociopathic.

And Micaiah didn't sign the blood pact? That was Pelleas, who is of Daein blood. Also, Jill is of Daein blood. Talrega is part of Daein. You're thinking of Marado, which Jill is not from. Marado is the one that appears to be independent to some degree.

Jill's father was from Begnion. Not sure if her mother is ever even mentioned. I think he left before she was born though I'm not sure.

Edited by Jotari

58 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Jill's father was from Begnion. Not sure if her mother is ever even mentioned. I think he left before she was born though I'm not sure.

Oh, right. But Jill's mom is never mentioned, yeah, and could've still been a Daein. And she probably was, honestly.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Also, Jill is of Daein blood. Talrega is part of Daein. You're thinking of Marado, which Jill is not from. Marado is the one that appears to be independent to some degree.

By blood I meant ethnicity, nationality is not always the same as ethnicity. Jill's her mother is presumably Begnionite given how native Talregans were said to have distrusted Shiharam's group for years (though there is fanfict potential in imagining Jill's mother was an exception). Micaiah's parents are presumably 100% non-Daein as well.

While magic is magic is magic and magic can be irrational, I was looking for some grounding, some logic, for a curse that affects an entire country. As a country is an abstract entity, an idea with physical components, but which itself is not tangible- how does a curse target it? Ethnicity would be such a grounding since ethnicity is genetics which is a physical thing. All of some "Daein ethnicity" would die via the Blood Pact, which would be presumably the overwhelming majority of the population. But of course, this presents new issues as I said with Ike. Maybe I'm looking too hard for logic in something that simply can't have any, but at the same time, better defining how the Blood Pact functions, as you yourself admit Anacybele, would be appreciable.

And yes @Jotari, I was considering the possibility of it being Sephiran as I was typing that, and upon closer look at the timeline, it just fits. And it would make sense- get the man who wants to spread boundless chaos into as high a position of power as you can as soon as possible.

One thing I would definitely fix about Ike is that he doesn't have to land the final hit on Ashera. I feel that forcing this really hurts his character, because the way the final map in FE10 is designed, it makes it look like canonically Ike defeats Ashera through a steal kill. I don't mind if they lock a cutscene or an extra scene at the ending if Ike defeats Ashera as a bonus, but there's really no reason why other characters can't land the final hit. It's considered canonical that Julia kills Julius in FE4 and Roy defeats Iduon in FE6, but at least those make sense story-wise, but it's still possible to defeat those bosses with other characters (although you have to go out of your way in FE4).

RD Black Knight: Keep him the minion of Sephiran but cut out that "my last teacher" stuff from Ike. BK was a villain all throughout PoR. At the very least, Ike should not respect him.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Speaking of which, it really sucks that Sonya's tied to the Samson-Arran archetype. The fact that she's Judah's daughter should be a way more important plot point deserving an actual role in the story and a glimpse into what the Duma faithful are like at both their best and worst.

I forgot to mention this, but I felt Sonya should have been more relevant.  I get that she's supposed to fill a certain role, but how can the daughter of one of the main antagonists of the game not be more important?  And not to mention she fights her sisters too.  If anything, Sonya probably should've had way more screen time than most of the other cast that wasn't Alm or Celica.

35 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

I forgot to mention this, but I felt Sonya should have been more relevant.  I get that she's supposed to fill a certain role, but how can the daughter of one of the main antagonists of the game not be more important?  And not to mention she fights her sisters too.  If anything, Sonya probably should've had way more screen time than most of the other cast that wasn't Alm or Celica.

I know right. Even Sara had more plot relevance than Sonya and Manfroy barely appeared in Thracia 776! But they were hamstring with the way she was recruited in the original game. The only way around it would have been to also massively expand Deen's role in the story or have Sonya recruited elsewhere and replaced her with a new character as the minion of Grieth.

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I know right. Even Sara had more plot relevance than Sonya and Manfred barely appeared in Thracia 776! But they were hamstring with the way she was recruited in the original game. The only way around it would have been to also massively expand Deen's role in the story or have Sonya recruited elsewhere and replaced her with a new character as the minion of Grieth.

Yeah, it would've been hard to make her more relevant...which is saddening.  I wouldn't mind seeing Deen's role being expanded, but there's not much to expand upon unless they want to add stuff.  I could even see Sonya taking on a mentor-ish role for Celica, kinda like Saber.

Though I would think it would've been cool if you chose to get Deen instead of Sonya, that Sonya later becomes a Witch like her sisters because they could've gone with the family united through death/evil thing...but they probably just wanted to keep it true to OG Gaiden.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Naesala somehow is working against the Senate by being Sanaki's bodyguard late RD- how did that not trigger the Pact? Did he find a loophole? Why didn't he find it sooner- like before betraying the LA? He does say fighting Numida he has excellent spies in Begnion- he could've figured out Sanaki's "illness" was a case of coupitis.

I think the game does get into that one. When you have him battle Lekain Naesala points out that fighting on behalf of the legitimate ruler of Begnion(Sanaki) isn't a breach of contract at all and that he's free to tear Lekain apart on her orders since she outranks him. This line makes it probable that the blood pact is between the countries Begnion and Kilvas rather then between Kilvas and the senate. Its possible he did figure out Sanaki's illness. We don't quite know how she escaped. It could be through Sephiran's design, the holy guard, Team Tormod or even Naesala. Personally I'm prefer its team  team Tormod who bailed  her out because it gives Tormod an excuse to be absent. 

So, apart from killing off my least favourite FE character, this is how I would have handled him. Or at least, made him more interesting.

Ike, as the son of a noble house that has pledged its fealty to Crimea, leads his troops into battle againstDaien on behalf of his ill father. He is extremely confident in his ability with the sword ( due to having Greil for a mentor and receiving daily tutoring from Crimea's top swordsmen; incidently, he'd probably be sparring partners with Lucia and he'd know Elincia) but makes a couple of mishaps. His recklessness and arrogance causes the losses of many casualties and he is forced to reassess his behaviour (much like Hector, he's a fight now, ask questions later type of person). He is guilt-stricken and worried if his strength will be enough.

(That bit was taken from my 3K word essay on why I hate Ike and how I'd make him 'flawed').

Of course, he wants nothing to do with the nobility after he finds out they're merely exploiting the commoners for their own ends, then severs his ties, and becomes a mercenary. But after Greil dies of illness, Ike has no choice butto assume his noble duties, just like Hector. This also conveniently removes the Black Knight from the picture (who is oneof the worse villains in the series) and prevents Ike from taking the tried-and-tested yawnfest of seeking revenge for daddy's murder. He'd have no need to become stronger if he is already an established general in his 20s.

There.

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the game does get into that one. When you have him battle Lekain Naesala points out that fighting on behalf of the legitimate ruler of Begnion(Sanaki) isn't a breach of contract at all and that he's free to tear Lekain apart on her orders since she outranks him. This line makes it probable that the blood pact is between the countries Begnion and Kilvas rather then between Kilvas and the senate. Its possible he did figure out Sanaki's illness. We don't quite know how she escaped. It could be through Sephiran's design, the holy guard, Team Tormod or even Naesala. Personally I'm prefer its team  team Tormod who bailed  her out because it gives Tormod an excuse to be absent. 

I'd prefer if it was team Tormod and they showed up when she reappeared >.>

Fixing my Favorite (i.e. Shanna): Stop hammering in the reckless aspect across most of her supports. It gets repetitive after a while.

Fixing my Least Favorite (i.e. Camilla): Stop acting so blatantly evil even when you're on the good guys side. I don't care how bad your past is, it's just uncomfortable to see someone act so maliciously and not be called out for it.

Some of my least favourites

Faye - Give her something other to do than obsess over Alm. He may be the main character but not every female character needs to fall for him. Even changing it so that she'd like, I don't know, Tobin or someone. Of course the best solution would be giving her another hobby she could talk about.

Camilla - Her attire would be fine and her personality would be fine on their own but mixing those two just makes it clear that she's only there for fan-service. Like Faye, she really does not need to obsess over the main character the way she does.

Anankos - Just tell the player who he is, at least on Revelation route.

Favourites

Lon'qu - His backstory is actually really interesting but it's only talked in one support. It could've been mentioned somewhere else too since without that he's just kind of a jerk.

Takumi - Mainly his appearance in Conquest. The whole possession thing is just unnecessary. If he'd act on his own accord, his story would be much more like a story of a downfall. Now it's just "Takumi is being controlled because Anankos is evil".

Miriel - Her main problem is that Laurent is too much like her. Add that to the fact the mages are just not as good as dark mages in Awakening and she really doesn't stand out. It's just too bad because I really do like her. Just make Laurent different and buff mages.

Edited by Kahvi

8 hours ago, Kahvi said:

Of course the best solution would be giving her another hobby she could talk about

That's why I kind of gave her a headcanon of being good at a few videogames

8 hours ago, Kahvi said:

Lon'qu - His backstory is actually really interesting but it's only talked in one support. It could've been mentioned somewhere else too since without that he's just kind of a jerk.

I thought it was Cherche's and Tharja's. I could be wrong but that would be interesting

Favourites:

Wendy: Obviously increase her base stats and increase her level, so she's actually usable. I think her being an Armor Knight is fine, but if her class is to be changed then make her a Soldier, (or some other class you think would be better). 

Azelle: Like Etrurian Emperor said, he should have gotten more screentime, especially when his half brother Arvis kills him and his friends off (since he does truly care for his brother).

Tailto: Increase bases (or at least base speed), and give her better growths. That way she'll be more like an Est. Or give her better bases and a higher level (at least level 10). 

Est: Her fate after Mystery should be changed. Because it just doesn't make sense, and she isn't some kind of Navarre either. Plus it makes her look like a jerk for leaving Abel.

Palla: Well Est does leave, so why not have her get together with Abel? I mean yeah Abel would be basically cheating Est, and it is understandable as to why Palla won't take her sister's husband, but again, Est leaves for no reason and doesn't even tell where she goes, so it's not like she'll come back anytime soon. 

Alm (SoV): Should have been less merciful and more aggressive, whereas Celica remains the compassionate and kind one.

Dew: A better base strength is needed so he can steal kills more easily. 

Gonzales: If they wanted to increase his level in B route, then they should have increased his bases as well. And he should have a better base Skill in both routes.

Galle(FE6): I just think he should have gotten more screentime, so his death can seem more impactful to the player.

Least favourites:

Sylvia: Her love points with Lewyn should be either 100 or 150, rather than 200. That way I don't have to rush the game nor kill her just to pair Fury and Lewyn. Also, age her up.

Heath: Change his hair, or at least his face portrait. Because he looks too ugly.

Sophia: Increase those abysmal bases. And if they wanted her to be more like an Est (she is considered to be of the archetype, but she really doesn't turn out like one...), then at least give her bases similar to someone such as Nino (who is also an Est, and does much MUCH better than her), and better growths (except in Mag and Res, since those are high enough). 

I would just delete my least favorite character so I'll have to pick another one that I hate slightly less. I think Corrin should suffice.

Corrin

Spoiler

Brighright:

Corrin believes in Ryoma and his family and decides to help defend Hoshido against Nohr. When Corrin and his allies are on a special mission to help Corrin claim the holy blade Yato meant for the dragonborn child of either of the divine families, he ends up being a complete fool. Corrin, being stuck in a castle for most of his life is shown to be too merciful while he comes across bandits and thieves, and this causes him to end up getting back stabbed hurt, and saved by siblings who know better about the world. Essentially what I'm trying to get at here is that Corrin is a newbie on his path in Birthright not being skeptical of the Hoshidan who claims to love him, and instead turning against Nohr for what he views as his abuse and betrayal. Corrin ends up making mistakes in his journey to recover the Yato to help them stop the power of Garon's magic, and has to learn the consequences of those mistakes through the trouble he gets himself into and the various allies who try help him.

Conquest:

On this path Corrin decides she is skeptical of the Hoshidan's claims, and even of Mikoto's claims. Corrin decides to stick with the only family she has ever come to truly know which is her Nohrian family. She eventually is trusted by an actual King Garon, who explains to her he trusts her more than ever, and claims that she is her true child. Corrin accepts this knowing it does not matter as they have a war to win, as explained to her by Xander that there is no justice in war. Corrin learns many lessons about life, but most are realistic and smart ideas. Throughout the war as she tries to recover Yato and carries out special missions to stop her Hoshidan siblings, she sees the horrors of war, and this carries on with her until the end when she helps Nohr to semi-conquer Hoshido. Eventually she spares Hoshido any suffering or humiliating defeat, and manages to avoid complete chaos from all her experience. Corrin in this path acts more skeptical than her Birthright counterpart, and ends up in the end managing to be a hero at the end despite believing she could never be a true hero from the start.

Revelation:

- Error - Bullshit Lvl Too High - Okay well, maybe Corrin decides to try and flee and find a better life elsewhere, being mistreated for most of his life partially driven by the desire to explore the world. Perhaps Corrin visits a completely different kingdom, and eventually through this he accidentally gets captured and thrown into the endless pit that leads to Valla. Where he discovers Azura and he somehow manages to help Azura, and perhaps finds a sacred blade in Valla that allows them both to escape and warn he kingdoms of men of the danger of a new god that has destroyed one of the most advanced and powerful civilizations in the world. I don't know...

Edit: I have a better idea for why Corrin goes on a journey to find Yato. It could be possible that both Hoshido and Nohr wields powerful magicians Diviners on the Hoshidan side, and powerful Socerers on the Nohrian front, both of whom use the power of the divine dragon that they worship. This battle between such powerful magicians is avoided throughout most of the war because the chaos left behind it would do so much damage to both kingdoms, and would cause so much bloodshed and ruin. This battle all but seemed unavoidable until Corrin managed to finally obtain Yato, and makes it in time before the battle could continue where he learns exactly how Yato will be able to stop this, madness. Corrin arrives in time and Yato just disables the divine magic that both armies were planning to use. Yato can seal powerful dragon magic essentially.

As for my favorite characters, Leo and Xander:

I just wish Leo had a bigger part to play in the war between Nohr and Hoshido then he did in any of the paths. I would prefer if Leo was a higher-up who kept foolish tactics away from actually happening, and had a power struggle between Xander when it came to leading the war efforts. I also wish Xander would lead more of the war effort for most of the story having to save Corrin time to time himself when other Nohrian nobles sought to put an end to Corrin, and eventually being joined by her in the mainline once Corrin has obtained Yato.

Edited by Logos
Added Purpose for Obtaining Yato

8 hours ago, Logos said:

I would just delete my least favorite character so I'll have to pick another one that I hate slightly less. I think Corrin should suffice.

Corrin

Reveal hidden contents

Brighright:

Corrin believes in Ryoma and his family and decides to help defend Hoshido against Nohr. When Corrin and his allies are on a special mission to help Corrin claim the holy blade Yato meant for the dragonborn child of either of the divine families, he ends up being a complete fool. Corrin, being stuck in a castle for most of his life is shown to be too merciful while he comes across bandits and thieves, and this causes him to end up getting back stabbed hurt, and saved by siblings who know better about the world. Essentially what I'm trying to get at here is that Corrin is a newbie on his path in Birthright not being skeptical of the Hoshidan who claims to love him, and instead turning against Nohr for what he views as his abuse and betrayal. Corrin ends up making mistakes in his journey to recover the Yato to help them stop the power of Garon's magic, and has to learn the consequences of those mistakes through the trouble he gets himself into and the various allies who try help him.

Conquest:

On this path Corrin decides she is skeptical of the Hoshidan's claims, and even of Mikoto's claims. Corrin decides to stick with the only family she has ever come to truly know which is her Nohrian family. She eventually is trusted by an actual King Garon, who explains to her he trusts her more than ever, and claims that she is her true child. Corrin accepts this knowing it does not matter as they have a war to win, as explained to her by Xander that there is no justice in war. Corrin learns many lessons about life, but most are realistic and smart ideas. Throughout the war as she tries to recover Yato and carries out special missions to stop her Hoshidan siblings, she sees the horrors of war, and this carries on with her until the end when she helps Nohr to semi-conquer Hoshido. Eventually she spares Hoshido any suffering or humiliating defeat, and manages to avoid complete chaos from all her experience. Corrin in this path acts more skeptical than her Birthright counterpart, and ends up in the end managing to be a hero at the end despite believing she could never be a true hero from the start.

Revelation:

- Error - Bullshit Lvl Too High - Okay well, maybe Corrin decides to try and flee and find a better life elsewhere, being mistreated for most of his life partially driven by the desire to explore the world. Perhaps Corrin visits a completely different kingdom, and eventually through this he accidentally gets captured and thrown into the endless pit that leads to Valla. Where he discovers Azura and he somehow manages to help Azura, and perhaps finds a sacred blade in Valla that allows them both to escape and warn he kingdoms of men of the danger of a new god that has destroyed one of the most advanced and powerful civilizations in the world. I don't know...

As for my favorite characters, Leo and Xander:

I just wish Leo had a bigger part to play in the war between Nohr and Hoshido then he did in any of the paths. I would prefer if Leo was a higher-up who kept foolish tactics away from actually happening, and had a power struggle between Xander when it came to leading the war efforts. I also wish Xander would lead more of the war effort for most of the story having to save Corrin time to time himself when other Nohrian nobles sought to put an end to Corrin, and eventually being joined by her in the mainline once Corrin has obtained Yato.

Who is your least favorite character? The Xander part sounds interesting

• 2 weeks later...

Favorites:

Takumi: Like several others mentioned, remove the whole possession deal that happened to him in Conquest. Takumi already had his reasons for despising Corrin in that route, and to me, that alone would make him work well as a villain. No need to make him the host of a demonic dragon.

Hinata: While I really do enjoy Hinata from most of the support conversations I read of him, my biggest issue with Hinata is that he lacks backstory, so I would add that to him. Considering how close he is to Takumi as evident through their interactions together, I think it could easily be written that he and Takumi were childhoods friends of some sort.

Conrad: As much as I like Conrad as a character, I won't deny that there are issues with how he was handled in the story. He was a walking deux-ex-machina in all of his appearances before joining Celica's army, so I would rewrite his story-involvement in a way that doesn't involve having to save the day with each appearance. Better yet, I would have Conrad join Celica's army earlier in the game, perhaps at some point around Act 3. That way, he would have more story dialogue and he could do more in the story than just being a deus-ex-machina.

I would also give Conrad more support conversations.

Spoiler

I think Conrad could've had a support with Boey considering that Celica told Boey at the beginning of Act 2 that he reminds her of Conrad, so I could imagine Boey and Conrad having a support where Boey would bring that up, and then the two could talk about each other. This would also benefit Boey, another character who could've had more support conversations.

Least favorites:

Faye: Give her more character than just her crush on Alm, and tone those feelings of hers toward him so that it doesn't reach obsessive levels.

Peri: Tone down her murder attitude by removing any dialogue that involved her saying she wanted to kill innocents in some way. Those specific quotes from Peri is how FE fans gain the impression she is a serial killer. I would make her more like Henry in terms of a "murder-loving" character: someone with a tragic backstory that explains why the character talks about blood and violence a lot, but the character is still a good and fun person to be around.