"Waifu Emblem" Features.

Waifu Emblem Features Poll  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the three FE features do you want to see in the next installment? Character creation, romance, or breeding?

• All three.
    • Character creation is liked, but no romance or children.
    • Character creation and romance are liked, but they better have a good reason to introduce children.
    • Romance and children are liked, but character creation is best left to the bedroom. *wink* *wink*
    • Romance is liked, but the idea of creation altogether is not.
    • None of the above. Classical experience is the best experience.
    • I have something else in mind.

Concerning three bit features present in both Awakening and Fates, but left out in Echoes, what path do you think FE Switch should follow. Should they go full on Waifu, continue the hardcore experience, or do something in-Between. I believe I covered all marks in my poll. Tell me if I've missed any, and I'll see about adding them. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want all of it to return because Waifu Emblem is the master race. Fight me at the nearest McDonald's if you disagree.

In all seriousness I just want the romance supports to stay. Children aren't needed as it's been done before well and poorly. Character creation was never really taken advantage of in my personal experience.

Edited by Ronnie

While i would definitely like to see S-Supports again, they need to make sense. So no "everyone can marry everyone." And even then, i would rather not have the characters actually get married. More like, they fall in love, and if they both survive the war, THEN they get married. When you think about it, it adds a little pressure to the immersion. These two characters fall in love, and it's up to you to make sure they both live through the war so that they can live happily. Though i suppose previous FEs have done this before, with canon pairings such as Boey x Mae, etc.

Oh, and no children. Unless it directly affects the plot, like in FE4 or Awakening.

Edited by Armagon

I have the strangest suspicion that this will be moved to Far From the Forest.

Regardless, I am OK with romance in certain aspects (i.e. supports) and character creation provided there is an avatar. However, I feel the recent games have exhausted the children aspect and I hope we won't see them again for at least a couple years/installments.

I like the romance elements, children characters don't work unless the narrative is built around their existence in some fashion, and character creation could lead to early level design becoming fucked as the designers can't plan around the very specific set of units that you have access to, but rather need to plan around the idea that you would have a very general set of units.

Character creation is wonderful as long as it's not applied to a character relevant to the plot and just an optional case of "another unit that joins you". I love character customization, but I don't like slapping custom characters onto an established personality and backstory.

1 minute ago, DaloDask said:

I like the romance elements, children characters don't work unless the narrative is built around their existence in some fashion, and character creation could lead to early level design becoming fucked as the designers can't plan around the very specific set of units that you have access to, but rather need to plan around the idea that you would have a very general set of units.

That can be fixed. Design different levels for different units. Plus, those are minor things the casual gamer wouldn't notice. 

I've played games that have and don't have these elements, and I can safely say... I really have no preference either way. I enjoy the romantic elements, but they're not really what keeps me playing.

That being said, if they're going to do children like the joke they were in Fates again, they might as well not bother.

Character creation I think we should have a further break from.

I don't mind S rank supports in concept, I just don't want another: anyone can hook up with anyone situation.

Once again in concept children are fine, hopefully they include a time-skip if they do this and don't cop out with time-travel, Deeprealms, or some other contrived excuse this time.

On a related note, I think the pair-up mechanics shouldn't be brought back.

Edited by The Baroness of Blainswal

I want Fire Emblem Switch to have great gameplay, map design, balance and challenging difficulty options like Conquest.

I don't care whether or not it has any of the elements in the poll, and their presence (or lack of) won't make the game any better or worse for me.

I personally find the idea that echoes is more "hardcore" than conquest just because it does not have those elements to be laughable at best, for exemple.

Edited by Nobody

Just now, ElectiveToast said:

I don't see all the hate for character creation. There were only three games that featured it. 

It's how they've been implemented is the issue. As someone who likes all three Avatars (four if you count Mark in FE7), FE Avatars haven't been.....done well. The point of an Avatar is that they represent you, but Kris, Robin, and Corrin all act as if they are their own character. It's hard for me to name Corrin "Armagon" because Corrin doesn't represent me at all. Corrin isn't really an Avatar. Robin isn't really an Avatar. Kris isn't really an Avatar. The only one who could be considered an Avatar is Mark, and that's because what Mark says and does is pretty much determined by you.

If FE wants to continue doing Avatars, then they need to take a page out of Xenoblade Chronicles X. Cross is by far, the best Avatar i have ever seen. Literally everything about Cross is determined by you. And the best part is that Cross is a silent protagonist, so Cross really does represent you.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

It's how they've been implemented is the issue. As someone who likes all three Avatars (four if you count Mark in FE7), FE Avatars haven't been.....done well. The point of an Avatar is that they represent you, but Kris, Robin, and Corrin all act as if they are their own character. It's hard for me to name Corrin "Armagon" because Corrin doesn't represent me at all. Corrin isn't really an Avatar. Robin isn't really an Avatar. Kris isn't really an Avatar. The only one who could be considered an Avatar is Mark, and that's because what Mark says and does is pretty much determined by you.

If FE wants to continue doing Avatars, then they need to take a page out of Xenoblade Chronicles X. Cross is by far, the best Avatar i have ever seen. Literally everything about Cross is determined by you. And the best part is that Cross is a silent protagonist, so Cross really does represent you.

Ah, I see. It was still fun remaking their looks. 

3 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

Ah, I see. It was still fun remaking their looks. 

Yeah, i don't mind the customization aspect. but again, if the Avatar isn't really representing me, then what's the point?

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And this is exactly why I’m fine with FE’s way of handling customisable characters.

The only thing that’s to be changed is labelling them as “avatars”. They are not, and have never been, player self-inserts.
They have their established place in the plot and their own character.

No children or Avatar if they won't do them right or have them make sense like stated earlier. Awakening did it pretty dumb, and Fates just downright butchered them to hell.

I also think we need more of a break from children. I'm fine with S-supports, but no "everyone can marry everyone" and especially no Avatar-sexuals that are just there for the Avatar to bang if he/she wants. It's stupid and hurts the story.

Basically, IS has been sacrificing story, character, and some gameplay quality for forced stupid fanservice.

Here's the thing as much as the create-a-character system is a mixed bag it is one of the main reasons that Fire Emblem has managed to come back. FE13 managed to awaken the drive to play fire emblem in completely new fans and I don't care what anyone says but receiving new fans is a good thing. The franchise itself was by their own accounts going to end had they not managed to succeed with that game. I'm sure it would have been brought back years down the line but it would have been temporarily dead. We have the character creation system, children, and romance to thank for the continued success of the franchise. As such most new fire emblem fans have not really played anything beyond Awakening, Fates, and Echoes and there are now certain features people expect from the franchise. The series has evolved and although many people think it's for the worst, I more or less disagree.

The character creation system has potential to be excellent. There are however two major problem I have been seeing with how it is handled. The first is that they make the create a character the central figure from the story from the get go or they give you a create a character that already has a character. It's not a creation of your own if you are being led down a path. Awakening worked slightly better in that you were not immediately the focus of the story and instead you were a side character or a dual protagonist. I think Awakening had the better story by far for this. All they would need to do to make the create a character system work is to simply not give you the main character role...you could just as easily be a random soldier that gets thrown in the war. They could have you create your own pre-determined background within the setting. I believe the character creation system can work it's just a matter of how it's implemented. The fact it's been in the two newest games of the series and that a lot of new players seemed to have found Valentia boring and the characters uninteresting seems to push the idea forward that the games to continue being successful need to stick with both new and old systems and hopefully they can make them work so that both old and new players can enjoy the games..

Children is another interesting feature that I believe if done right it could easily be used again. It's not necessary but I wouldn't be opposed if it returns. The issue is that it needs to make some sort of sense or have some sort of explanation around it. The way children worked in Fates made no sense, had no plot relevance, and was more or less ignored outside of paralogues. If children are done in the game again they have to be their own characters and they need to interact with the world around them or what is the point? Give them more supports have more unique supports depending on parents (both father and mother), have them have supports with other characters besides kids and family, have mentors, have heroes, etc... Hell I could have forgiven the way they did children in Fates had the children had a presence in Fates that actually mattered. So I have no problem with children if they can do it right.

Romance is hopefully a given but there are definitely other ways characters can interact besides romance...perhaps have multiple different types of supports. Romance, best friend, rivals, family, etc... Who is to say the supports need to only be romance? I think it would be quite interesting if you had a created character develop a rivalry with another character and through the course of the story the rival would do things to try and make things more difficult or push you to do better. There's a lot that they could do but even if they didn't I think romance is definitely something that the game should have they could perhaps change the way they do the romance but I do rather enjoy the feature.

Getting rid of features is not going to help the game get better it's just going to make the game unable to adapt to changing environments and players. If people see these features removed the average person playing who has played one of the other recent games will claim that features have been removed and that the game is lazy for not adding as much content...(some of the responses to Valentia are apparently like that). The game needs to appeal to both old and new players and as a person who used to play pokemon games there is nothing more annoying than features being removed from a future entry that people liked from an earlier one. I think generally the issue here is less do we want these features to remain...which I'm sure for anyone who wants to see the franchise grow they will say yes. The issue is how they are implemented and whether or not they can be used well. If they can't be done well why would anyone want these features to begin with? We should hope and expect them to expand and further craft these features to the best they can possibly make them rather than just remove them altogether. I'd prefer to see them try and fail than to simply give up.

The one thing I do not want to see in the game is shoveling snow or Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride in any shape or form. Hopefully they can improve their writing and story telling and make an interesting fire emblem with interesting characters and excellent tactical gameplay. I am also hoping however that a switch will actually be available for 299 or less by the time the game actually releases...bloody nintendo.

Edited by kyrt

I want all three features to be in it, especially children. I rather have poorly done children than no children at all. I prefer having more units to play with and customize. You can always skip the children if you do not like them.

If they implement children, I prefer both genders of parents to have a child tied to them. I want more units. The children can inherit the hair color of their non-fixed parent.

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

I want all three features to be in it, especially children. I rather have poorly done children than no children at all. I prefer having more units to play with and customize. You can always skip the children if you do not like them.

Dude, there are ways to have "more units to play with" without having to force children into games where they don't belong. RD still holds the record of the largest playable cast in the series and it doesn't have the children system.

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

I prefer both genders of parents to have a child tied to them.

However, I do agree with this in the case that children are reasonably in the game. I didn't like that one Avatar had a bunch of options for two kids while the other only had one option for two.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Dude, there are ways to have "more units to play with" without having to force children into games where they don't belong. RD still holds the record of the largest playable cast in the series and it doesn't have the children system.

Children are customizable. Adults are not. I like the how they did children in Awakening and Fates because they were totally optional besides Lucina.

If they could implement grand children, then I can further customize my units. I want an army of genetically superior super soldiers.

Ideally, I would like the next FE to have an avatar, romances, and a 2nd generation... but have there be an actual timeskip between the first and second parts of the game. No more time travel, no more alternate dimensions, the children grow up in real time and take on a new conflict some two decades after the events of the first part.

I believe FE4 was like this, though I have not played.

I think avatars can work well. Something like a "Mark +" would be best. The avatar having a story role, but being either a silent protagonist, or having the player make dialogue choices. Choices that have actual meaning and consequences. Perhaps determining what units you get, what maps you fight on, what enemies you fight, what items you get, etc. Not necessarily choices that decide the outcome of the story, but mid-level choices: not plot defining, not meaningless, but having some actual effect on the immediate story and gameplay.

That being said, I think with the popularity of Awakening and Fates, I think Waifu emblem is here to stay, and I'm fine with that. I just wish the avatars and the character writing was handled a bit better (more like Echoes and the GBA games rather than the tropey, gimmicky, comedic supports and characters of Awakening).

Echoes proved to me once and for all that, while avatars are harder to write well, the problem lies with Intelligent Systems' way of handling their main characters. Alm's my least favorite lord after Corrin, and the two share far more similarities than I'd like. Therefore, I wouldn't immediately bemoan a decision to implement an avatar, even if I would raise an eyebrow. I object strongly to the idea of a Mark-like avatar, however.

I've got no desire to see children in the series anytime soon. They offer a lot of customization and I really like that, but Genealogy and Awakening were built with a second generation in mind, whereas Fates was not, and we all saw how that turned out. If they have to be included, I'll give the very generic answer of hoping they'd then handle it like in Genealogy of the Holy War.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a romance aspect to the supports. They should be much rarer than in Awakening and Fates, however, and they shouldn't eclipse all other supports. There should also be a bit of variety, like having some characters already being married or what have you, rendering them immune to shipping, and some characters turning down another, and so on.

My answer is pretty much the same as in the "Should the Avatar and S-Supports return?" Thread. I don't like Avatars, and S-Supports should be changed in a way that would reduce the number of romantic couples so much that children wouldn't be feasible anyways. Besides, the ways they justify explain a second gen are flawed. A time skip like FE4 would punish players who don't like the shipping aspect of the game, time travel would just be a rehash of Awakening, and Fates... let's not talk about the babyrealm.

3 hours ago, ElectiveToast said:

Are you saying that Waifu Emblem-Elements are superior just because IGN gave the games with them better reviews? What r u, IGN, casul?