"Waifu Emblem" Features.

Waifu Emblem Features Poll  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the three FE features do you want to see in the next installment? Character creation, romance, or breeding?

• All three.
    • Character creation is liked, but no romance or children.
    • Character creation and romance are liked, but they better have a good reason to introduce children.
    • Romance and children are liked, but character creation is best left to the bedroom. *wink* *wink*
    • Romance is liked, but the idea of creation altogether is not.
    • None of the above. Classical experience is the best experience.
    • I have something else in mind.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Thane said:

Alm's my least favorite lord after Corrin, and the two share far more similarities than I'd like.

Wait.... are you serious? I mean.... Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but you're seriously the first person I have seen that rates Alm so low. In fact, I was under the impression that he was very well liked. He is my new personal favorite Lord.... if you don't mind, can you go in a bit more detail on why you rate him so low?

On topic, I don't really care if they have marriage or not. It doesn't feel too different than the regular support system in my opinion. But honestly I would like the avatar and child units to be cut.

52 minutes ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Wait.... are you serious? I mean.... Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but you're seriously the first person I have seen that rates Alm so low. In fact, I was under the impression that he was very well liked. He is my new personal favorite Lord.... if you don't mind, can you go in a bit more detail on why you rate him so low?

I'm very serious. I consider Alm to be the second worst lord in the series after Corrin, and that's in large part because they have far too many traits in common. Celica is not far behind due to the inconsequential mess that is her part of the story and how she interacts with people from chapter three onward, but she can't quite compare to Alm. A lot of this has been discussed in NekoKnight's review of Echoes' story, but I can give you the quick version of my opinion. 

Had Alm only been a generic lord like many other protagonists in the series, I wouldn't have cared so much, but the fact of the matter is that the circumstances surrounding Alm are ridiculous. First of all, he directly goes against the two major themes of Echoes, which are unifying two opposing ideals and finding middle ground, and that the circumstances of one's birth aren't relevant to the quality of one's character or abilities. These are the two themes the game pushes very hard, yet the protagonist effectively renders them moot anyway.

The first theme is unnecessary due to Alm starting off the game as a perfect individual that never makes any mistakes, never needs to change his outlook on things and never loses. You might point out that this development in lacking in other lords in the series as well, to which I will agree, but the difference here is that the very theme of the game hinges on Alm and Celica, the human representations of Duma and Mila, needing to influence each other and finding a middle ground. By making Alm perfect, Celica's importance in the story is greatly reduced, since Alm doesn't need her to grow as a person, and he's the one who does all the important things in the story anyway, with Celica being the one to be rescued and forced to apologize towards the end. You might also say that Alm grows more competent as a leader, but that's not any real character development; Alm starts off overly sympathetic and mellow, and that's how he finishes the game, going so far as to not even holding grudges or being upset at Berkut and Fernand, which makes him feel utterly inhuman as a character. If Alm is supposed to represent Duma, then why is he as forgiving as Celica? 

The second theme is practically completely contradicted. Alm's noble blood is what saves the day in the end. It's what allows him to pass through the wall that physically hinders everyone else from continuing in Duma's cave. It's Alm's noble blood and/or Brand that allows him to cleanse Falchion and use it to seal Duma. It's Alm and Celica's noble blood that makes some cast members point out how different and better they are than the rest of them. I mean, doesn't this prove Berkut and Fernand right? Alm is born of the highest station in the cast alongside Celica, and they would've been completely failed without his special blood, so therefore, isn't the villainous point of view completely justified?

I know some people like pointing out that, in the epilogue, several commoners rose in rank, but not only do we never get to see that in the main game, but it might as well be because they're buddies with the new God-Emperor of Valentia.

Then there are the more minor things that bug me. Both playable characters and NPC's kiss Alm's boots whenever the opportunity arises, three girls are at least initially enamored with him, he's made leader of the Deliverance on some really flimsy grounds, he handwaves his specialness in spite of overwhelming evidences like with the Royal Sword and thus making him look stupid, and, finally, he unites two countries which have been separated for millenia in a year, completely ignoring social, cultural, economic, religious, linguistic and historical differences. That last part is on the same level as Corrin being given a crown in Revelation. But whereas Corrin just rules over a dead land and nothingness, Alm's got the impossible task of uniting two countries - just look around you in the world today and see how utterly ridiculous this is.

I know that some people believe that the character itself should be removed from how they're treated by other characters or what role they have in the story, and while that is true in some cases, I don't believe that can be applied to the protagonist. This was the same defense that was originally used for Corrin as well, but like Alm, their circumstances and how they're treated by the plot is such a big part in the narrative that it can't be neglected. At least, that is my opinion. However, even if we only look at Alm as a character in a vacuum, ignoring the themes he defies and everything, we'd still be left with a generic lord that's far, far too forgiving, mellow and flawless for me to ever care about him.

That's basically the gist of it.

Edited by Thane

Avatars: No. No. No. No. No no no. No.

Romance/S-rank supports: Limit them to couples who are actually compatible.  Otherwise, whatever.

Children: So long as the explanation isn't as rife with unfortunate implications as baby realms, it's fine.

I know that IS goofed pretty hard on the story side of avatars but I do like having a customizable unit. Give them a limited story role or give the player meaningful choices. Ideally you'd be able to pick a personality at character creation.

For children and romance (as done in Awakening and Fates), absolutely not. If children are involved, it will necessitate everyone x everyone supports which dilutes their quality as well as have out-of-nowhere romances (especially between incompatible personalities). Even without children, you're just cutting the final step in that bad formula. The characters are humans so sometimes they will fall in love or be in love already, but don't turn it into a core game mechanic. Most serious relationships that start in game should be resolved by the epilogue, not shotgun weddings.

Avatar: I don't feel they add anything of value. Customization in FE is not something I think fits very well, and even then there could just be some sort of armour system that is kind of a natural progression to how the 3DS games have equippable items show up on the character models. Maybe like in Bravely, where you can equip gear for the effect and then also have a different set equipped for the look you want. As far as "being able to see yourself in the story ", it's just something I will never understand, as I feel any character can serve as the link between the story and the player, just like in other forms of media. FE has not successfully done a blank avatar, anyway.

Kids: Story-wise, if they are forced in like in Fates it damages the seriousness of the plot. Retreading Genealogy or Awakening is not something I want either. If they feel like they have to put in a child system, then they should build the story around that and figure out a creative way to tell it.

Romance: Yes, by which I mean a support system that includes romance, but doesn't revolve exclusively around it.

5 hours ago, Night Zap said:

Are you saying that Waifu Emblem-Elements are superior just because IGN gave the games with them better reviews? What r u, IGN, casul? 

Birthright vs Conquest:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/03/fire-emblem-fates-birthright-sold-more-than-conquest-in-japan/

Awakening:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70704/fire-emblem-awakening/Japan/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70704/fire-emblem-awakening/USA/

Fates:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/85716/fire-emblem-fates/Japan/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/85716/fire-emblem-fates/USA/

Echoes:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/154085/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia/Japan/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/154085/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia/USA/

If Waifu Emblem and Casual Mode is what it takes to save the series from a fate like Advance Wars' oblivion, then it is clearly "superior" to hardcore game play. Pleasing the hardcore players means nothing if they are the ones who doom it to failure with their low sales figure. I love Fire Emblem and it is an awesome game series, but nothing can truly replace Advance Wars. I like Advance Wars: Days of Ruin with its balanced game play and map customization, but it clearly was not good enough to convince newer players to join to revitalize the series. Realizing you favorite series is dead is a pretty sad moment.

In my opinion, it is always better to have the series adapt and evolve. Hard core and nostalgic game play elements will reappear from time to time for the minority to enjoy, like Conquest and Echoes, but these elements cannot be the focus of the series as a whole. Switch needs its first Fire Emblem title to make a splash like Awakening; only after that can games like Conquest and remakes be supported using profits from the hit game. If Intelligent Systems does not get its priority straight, we may never see another Fire Emblem game... Although they may finally turn their attention back to Advance Wars if that happens.

8 hours ago, XRay said:

Children are customizable. Adults are not. I like the how they did children in Awakening and Fates because they were totally optional besides Lucina.

If they could implement grand children, then I can further customize my units. I want an army of genetically superior super soldiers.

Children aren't customizable, what are you talking about? All you do is choose one of their parents and their hair color. You can give them many different skills and such, but that holds true for the adults too. None of them are truly customizable and the only character that is is the Avatar.

And children being totally optional fucks the story and characterization. I'd rather have no children at all than children who are shoved in on the side just because.

Grandchildren would be even harder to do correctly.

Also, VGchartz is not reliable.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Children aren't customizable, what are you talking about? All you do is choose one of their parents and their hair color. You can give them many different skills and such, but that holds true for the adults too. None of them are truly customizable and the only character that is is the Avatar.

And children being totally optional fucks the story and characterization. I'd rather have no children at all than children who are shoved in on the side just because.

Children's stats can be optimized and their non-determinate parent provides additional reclassing options. Adult's stats cannot be customized and their reclassing options are pretty limited.

Children being totally optional means you can ignore them. It is like saying side quests suck because they contribute nothing to the plot. Having more options and the ability to ignore those options is better than having no options.

Avaters: If they have to be in the game please make them play a minor role, no making them the main lord or having them serve closely to the main lord. I'd rather them not be in the game at all tbh. 

Romance/marriage: I dont mind it tbh, just give me more meaningful and well developed pairs and stop trying to make everyone support everyone.

Children: If they do it, do it the way FE4 does it, and have a timeskip half way through the game and build the story up around that. I'd be totally cool with that. Just no time travel BS or the shit they pulled in Fates.

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

Children's stats can be optimized and their non-determinate parent provides additional reclassing options. Adult's stats cannot be customized and their reclassing options are pretty limited.

Children being totally optional means you can ignore them. It is like saying side quests suck because they contribute nothing to the plot. Having more options and the ability to ignore those options is better than having no options.

Parents still also have reclassing options and such. Children are not that much more "customizable" than they are.

Children being optional means they're implemented just to be there and for no real reason than for the sake of it. A side quest typically doesn't mess with story or characterization. Optional characters definitely can.

Fire Emblem was never about making the best couples and letting them bang, it was always more about strategic gameplay and deep story and characters. And that's what I played it for. Seems like you only play it to make families. If you want to do that, go play The Sims.

Having no children is better than optional children thrown in for shitty reasons.

Edited by Anacybele

okay I was a little harsh, but you have to admit this hasn't led the series in a very good direction on those kind of terms. Popularity, money and all that, you can argue. Not my point.

1 minute ago, Elincia said:

Avaters: If they have to be in the game please make them play a minor role, no making them the main lord or having them serve closely to the main lord. I'd rather them not be in the game at all tbh. 

Romance/marriage: I dont mind it tbh, just give me more meaningful and well developed pairs and stop trying to make everyone support everyone.

I like it this way, yeah.

Regarding Avatars, I just like it how FE7 and Heroes did it, where you feel like you're part of the experience, just not to the point we've been getting in Awakening and Fates where they're basically their own characte (and basically defeating the whole point of making one in the first place).

And also, if the Avatar is a fully playable character again, I want to be able to choose my starting class (any starting class, no gender exclusive bullshit. I'd choose Peg knight which is usually female anyway, but I know other people would want to be a male Troubador or female Fighter or something, which there's nothing wrong with), as well as my appearance, name, support pool, and a few dialogue options.

Basically how New Mystery did it, but with the addition of the dialogue thing and non-gender-exclusive classes, I guess.

Edited by Anacybele

I picked the third option, but there are caveats.

It's hard to write a good avatar, so just have them be more disconnected from the plot like something between Kris and Robin.  Shoving IS's idea of an avatar at the forefront of the story isn't a good idea.  Though I don't believe the avatar system is a significant reason for why the stories might be bad, for reasons Thane gave.

I like romance, but not if it's done poorly.  I thought Takumi and Oboro's romance was adorable and well done, while Tharja x Robin is garbage that shouldn't exist.  A huge boon to making romance better is cutting down on the quantity of supporting pairs, like pretty much everyone else here is saying.  And like Book Bro pretty much said, the focus on romance shouldn't outweigh the focus on platonic relationships.  Fates was sort of a step in the right direction, giving special bonuses to platonic pairs through A+ supports, but there could be more done there.

And children...  Well, I could go either Genealogy or Awakening, but for the latter, they need to be made more relevant.  And one thing that really irks me is that planning out the children becomes "Eugenics the Game".  I absolutely detest eugenics, mainly because of the Eugenics Movement of the 20th Century, and I'm sure reading Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" didn't help my view in that regard.  Though there aren't any alternatives I could think of aside from generally enhancing the 2nd generation generator so that there's more variance.  I do like the concept of there being children who appear later in the game as fully grown combatants, but it's all objectified and weird in its latest iterations.

40 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Just remove it completely. We don't need an even shittier fanbase.

Those "shittier" fans are what keeps this series alive. Without them, we would not be playing anything after Awakening. Unless you can outspend those newer fans, those fans are more important than the minority of players who wants to the series to stay static. Money, not critics or even people, is what is important.

35 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Parents still also have reclassing options and such. Children are not that much more "customizable" than they are.

Children being optional means they're implemented just to be there and for no real reason than for the sake of it. A side quest typically doesn't mess with story or characterization. Optional characters definitely can.

Fire Emblem was never about making the best couples and letting them bang, it was always more about strategic gameplay and deep story and characters. That's what I played it for. Seems like you only play it to make families. If you want to do that, go play The Sims.

Having no children is better than optional children thrown in for shitty reasons.

Stat customization and more reclassing options are a big deal to me. They add another dimension to game play.

When did Fate's children ever mess with the plot? The plot completely ignores them and they completely ignore the plot, just like Einherjar units. I never heard of anyone complain about Einherjar units before. Their maps are literally called paralogues instead of chapters to distinguish its significance to the plot, and the reward is an "Einherjar" unit with some extra dialogue, better stats, and more reclass options.

And where did static, "traditional" game play landed Fire Emblem? It is that narrow mindedness and style of gameplay that caused Fire Emblem to slowly drift into obscurity and near abandonment if Intelligent Systems did not try to open up the series to newer players. Fire Emblem deserves to die if it does not adapt to changing tastes, just like how Advance Wars deserves to fail for not appealing to wider audiences. If you want to have Intelligent Systems focus on "traditional" game play, then you better outspend people who want the series to improve and move forward. There is also nothing wrong with incorporating elements of other genres into Fire Emblem.

Until they release a game with children that under performs Echoes, I am going to say having-children-with-no-good-reason is better than having-no-children-for-good-reasons.

25 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

And children...  Well, I could go either Genealogy or Awakening, but for the latter, they need to be made more relevant.  And one thing that really irks me is that planning out the children becomes "Eugenics the Game".  I absolutely detest eugenics, mainly because of the Eugenics Movement of the 20th Century, and I'm sure reading Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" didn't help my view in that regard.  Though there aren't any alternatives I could think of aside from generally enhancing the 2nd generation generator so that there's more variance.  I do like the concept of there being children who appear later in the game as fully grown combatants, but it's all objectified and weird in its latest iterations.

Eugenics is different from racism and elitism. Eugenics is about improving humanity through selective breeding, such as encouraging people with better genes to procreate more often and discouraging people with less desirable genes to procreate. With genetic modification, discouraging people with less desirable genes is moot since inherited diseases can be fixed.

Edited by XRay

31 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Just remove it completely. We don't need an even shittier fanbase.

If this is the first thing you've got to say on a thread that has discussed this in a calm and reasonable manner, then I'm not sure you represent the better part of the fanbase.

11 minutes ago, Thane said:

If this is the first thing you've got to say on a thread that has discussed this in a calm and reasonable manner, then I'm not sure you represent the better part of the fanbase.

When one of your favorites series gets degraded and well-known for "Waifu Emblem", you'd understand. This isn't even me looking down on people getting into the series through newer games, because that's perfectly fine.

19 minutes ago, XRay said:

Those "shittier" fans are what keeps this series alive. Without them, we would not be playing anything after Awakening. Unless you can outspend those newer fans, those fans are more important than the minority of players who wants to the series to stay static. Money, not critics or even people, is what is important.

Stat customization and more reclassing options are a big deal to me. They add another dimension to game play.

When did Fate's children ever mess with the plot? The plot completely ignores them and they completely ignore the plot, just like Einherjar units. I never heard of anyone complain about Einherjar units before. Their maps are literally called paralogues instead of chapters to distinguish its significance to the plot, and the reward is an "Einherjar" unit with some extra dialogue, better stats, and more reclass options.

And where did static, "traditional" game play landed Fire Emblem? It is that narrow mindedness and style of gameplay that caused Fire Emblem to slowly drift into obscurity and near abandonment if Intelligent Systems did not try to open up the series to newer players. Fire Emblem deserves to die if it does not adapt to changing tastes, just like how Advance Wars deserves to fail for not appealing to wider audiences. If you want to have Intelligent Systems focus on "traditional" game play, then you better outspend people who want the series to improve and move forward. There is also nothing wrong with incorporating elements of other genres into Fire Emblem.

Until they release a game with children that under performs Echoes, I am going to say having-children-with-no-good-reason is better than having-no-children-for-good-reasons.

So you're another unknowledgable fan that thinks marriage and kids and stuff saved FE. No, no they didn't. Marketing and such was what saved it.

FE sold poorly previously not because of its gameplay, it generally got good reviews. PoR got 8/10 on average, and RD was a 7.5. And it got some unfair criticism for not having motion controls. Motion controls don't do anything for FE and wouldn't work anyway.

A lot of people didn't know these games existed because they were barely marketed. PoR also had a poor release time, being at the end of the GC's lifespan, and RD was released at the same time as Super Mario Galaxy, which hurt it as well. Smash Bros. Brawl came not long after too.

People that played the Tellius FE games and GBA ones generally love them, so their gameplay and such was not disliked. Their poor sales are not reflective of their quality at all. Echoes also did well, for your information. The reason it didn't do as well as Awakening and Fates is probably because Gaiden apparently wasn't that popular compared to other games in the series to begin with.

Fire Emblem deserves to die if it keeps pandering more and more to fanservice and shitty children and marriage instead of being the strategy RPG it always was before.

And also, people generally didn't like Fates's children or the way they were implemented, so I can guarantee doing that again would be a horrible idea. Einherjar were DLC and not implemented poorly. The Fates children reflected badly on the characters, making them look like careless morons who have no problem throwing their baby in some weird unfamiliar place to suddenly grow up and without really knowing their parents. And it's dumb to have babies during war anyway. FE4 had the children born between wars, which makes a lot more sense. Even in real world history, births skyrocketed right after a war ended. There's a reason we have a group of people that we call "baby boomers."

Edited by Anacybele

15 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

When one of your favorites series gets degraded and well-known for "Waifu Emblem", you'd understand. This isn't even me looking down on people getting into the series through newer games, because that's perfectly fine.

How very noble of you to not look down on people who started by playing the later games. 

Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series ever, and I don't care what silly name people give it. Most of my issues with the fanbase as a whole have been with veterans telling me I'm "literally retarded" for liking Awakening, but do I think it's somehow representative of older fans? No, no I don't, just like I don't think only newer fans like this whole waifu business.

Edited by Thane

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So you're another unknowledgable fan that thinks marriage and kids and stuff saved FE. No, no they didn't. Marketing and such was what saved it.

FE sold poorly previously not because of its gameplay, it generally got good reviews. PoR got 8/10 on average, and RD was a 7.5. And it got some unfair criticism for not having motion controls. Motion controls don't do anything for FE and wouldn't work anyway.

A lot of people didn't know these games existed because they were barely marketed. PoR also had a poor release time, being at the end of the GC's lifespan, and RD was released at the same time as Super Mario Galaxy, which hurt it as well. Smash Bros. Brawl came not long after too.

People that played the Tellius FE games and GBA ones generally love them, so their gameplay and such was not disliked. Their poor sales are not reflective their quality at all. Echoes also did well, for your information. The reason it didn't do as well as Awakening and Fates is probably because Gaiden apparently wasn't that popular compared to other games in the series to begin with.

Fire Emblem deserves to die if it keeps pandering more and more to fanservice and shitty children and marriage instead of being the strategy RPG it always was before.

And also, people generally didn't like Fates's children or the way they were implemented, so I can guarantee doing that again would be a horrible idea. Einherjar were DLC and not implemented poorly. The Fates children reflected badly on the characters, making them look like careless morons who have no problem throwing their baby in some weird unfamiliar place to suddenly grow up and without really knowing their parents. And it's dumb to have babies during war anyway. FE4 had the children born between wars, which makes a lot more sense. Even in real world history, births skyrocketed right after a war ended. There's a reason we have a group of people that we call "baby boomers."

Those two statements are contradictory. Echoes' marketing has to suck for it to produce its substantially lower sales figure using the marketing argument. The United States never got Gaiden, so preconceived popularity would not justify the fact that it has low sales compared to Awakening. I will agree with you that releasing games at the end of a console's life would be a factor, but marketing is not the main factor in my opinion and Echoes is not even competing with anything right now.

Fire Emblem would not die if it panders to fan service. There is not a single SRPG without waifus I can think of that comes close to Fire Emblem's popularity. In fact, Kantai Collection and similar waifu/husbando games points to the success of pandering to fan service, despite the decline of games with turn based RPG combat. There is no reason for Fire Emblem to not adapt to newer fan's taste and ensure the success and longevity of the series. Until you can prove that fan service is bad for the series with numbers like sales figures, I would argue fan service is good for the series.

I agree that children's circumstances could have been better written, but if it bothers you, the paralogues are entirely optional so you do not have to see the mess.

My two cents on this. 

Character Customization: YES!!! I never miss an opportunity to make my own character, even if this character has his own role and personality. Just allowing my creative juices to flow is what lured me into Awakening in the first place. 

Romance: Sure, why not? 

Children: Only if the plot calls for it, but otherwise loved. 

8 minutes ago, XRay said:

Those two statements are contradictory. Echoes' marketing has to suck for it to produce its substantially lower sales figure using the marketing argument. The United States never got Gaiden, so preconceived popularity would not justify the fact that it has low sales compared to Awakening. I will agree with you that releasing games at the end of a console's life would be a factor, but marketing is not the main factor in my opinion and Echoes is not even competing with anything right now.

Fire Emblem would not die if it panders to fan service. There is not a single SRPG without waifus I can think of that comes close to Fire Emblem's popularity. In fact, Kantai Collection and similar waifu/husbando games points to the success of pandering to fan service, despite the decline of games with turn based RPG combat. There is no reason for Fire Emblem to not adapt to newer fan's taste and ensure the success and longevity of the series. Until you can prove that fan service is bad for the series with numbers like sales figures, I would argue fan service is good for the series.

I agree that children's circumstances could have been better written, but if it bothers you, the paralogues are entirely optional so you do not have to see the mess.

Sorry, but you really underestimate how important marketing is. You have to advertise your product as much as you can. If people don't know about it, they won't buy it. Awakening and Fates had marketing through trailers and such, then word of mouth. Word of mouth is secondary, because again, people first have to know about the product in order to talk about it.

I said for a long time that all FE needed was a little more pushing in the marketing department and it would be more popular. I was right. Awakening got lots more marketing than anything before it and it was a success.

And I already told you the fanservice is proving to be bad. Camilla is a character that people either love or downright hate because of fanservice, there's no in between. Fates's story and children were not popular at all. Story quality was likely sacrificed for all that fanservice.

Paralogues are optional and I did skip them. But it takes development time to make those paralogues, and I believe it would've been better spent on making the story and non-optional characters better quality.

Edited by Anacybele

59 minutes ago, XRay said:

Eugenics is different from racism and elitism. Eugenics is about improving humanity through selective breeding, such as encouraging people with better genes to procreate more often and discouraging people with less desirable genes to procreate. With genetic modification, discouraging people with less desirable genes is moot since inherited diseases can be fixed.

You know, the bolded part sounds like something that'd come straight out of the mouth of a mad scientist dictator in a dystopian sci-fi novel... just saying.

I know what eugenics is; why do you think I was referring to it when talking about 2nd Gen units?  I have my reasons for my aversion to eugenics, some of them quite personal and of which I'd rather not divulge.  I do support using gene editing to get rid of things like diseases or complications preventing an infant from making it past live birth, and I know the prospect of forcing selective breeding among humans has withered away and died for the most part (like the bastard idea it was), but there are still some things about eugenics that could use work...

Though this isn't the place to discuss such things.  All you need to know is that the history of eugenics - especially in the hands of zealous "activists" and lawmakers looking to keep certain individuals from procreating through mandate - makes the idea of selective breeding in games an uneasy prospect to me, and no amount of justification or explanations will sway my opinion in that regard.

Believe it or not, I'm an older FE fan that doesn't mind the way things are done in the new games. I'll recognize their faults yes, but I ended up voting yes to all three options. 

On character creation, I enjoy making my own avatar. Making Robin for the first time was one of the most fun experiences of my life. I grew up obsessed with FE, so being able to put my own character (even with limited customization) into the game was amazing. I'd love to see more customization for the character with a smaller role story-wise. I wasn't a large fan of Corrin because he/she took up the "lord" role but didn't feel like a proper lord. If we get the option to create another character, I don't mind playing a supporting character or even taking up an "Anna" type roll. Iconic, memorable, and definitely important in her own way.

On romance, yes please. I'm obsessed with pairing characters together. I just wish there were fewer options. It's kind of silly to assume that everyone's compatible with everyone else...I'd also love to see more variety outside of normal straight relationships. I'm glad Fates decided to test the waters, but I think it can be done better and more tastefully for sure. (Not going to lie though... I love Niles.) 

On children, I love them. I absolutely fell in love with Awakening's kids, and their story is one of the more interest ones to consider. Teenagers fighting in a post-apocalyptic future? C'mon. That's just cool. I would have loved to play that part of the game. Fates' children weren't as memorable, but I still like the idea of a second generation. I'd love to see bigger families. Can someone have twins, please? Also adoption should be a thing. I think if this is in the next game, I'd like to see the natural progression of a second generation. Like first part of the game is purely first gen. We have a small in-between and get to see the families with tiny kiddos. And the third part of the game has parents and children fighting alongside each other. Watching our favorite characters grow up would be a pretty emotional experience I think.