"Waifu Emblem" Features.

Waifu Emblem Features Poll  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the three FE features do you want to see in the next installment? Character creation, romance, or breeding?

• All three.
    • Character creation is liked, but no romance or children.
    • Character creation and romance are liked, but they better have a good reason to introduce children.
    • Romance and children are liked, but character creation is best left to the bedroom. *wink* *wink*
    • Romance is liked, but the idea of creation altogether is not.
    • None of the above. Classical experience is the best experience.
    • I have something else in mind.

Avatars: A thousand times yes. I'll even take a trash avatar farting up the story over none. There's fun to be had with characters you can customize even if their words and actions sometimes clash with what's in your head. These can be done well and I'd prefer IS kept trying. More customization, please -- actually, just go ahead and make Fire Emblem: Animal Crossing.

Romance: Hell yeah. Romance can build characters or play towards people's imaginations. I'm for it either way, even if I'm occasionally rolling my eyes through pages of tripe. We've had enjoyable romances as with any other relationship, no sense not to continue with that.

Children: Fuck no. I don't want recurring time-based plots, I don't want teen weddings, I don't want a huge chunk of the cast segregated from everyone else locked behind two dozen paralogues. Replace them with an expanded Bond Unit system where any two units can make a "child." Include a whole bunch of possible aesthetics these folks can have beyond just Generic Myrmidon or RNG Corrin. Keep all the skill/class/stat goodness. Throw in simple support conversations RD-style or just have them copy support levels from their "parents," whatever.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, a bear said:

Children: Fuck no. I don't want recurring time-based plots, I don't want teen weddings, I don't want a huge chunk of the cast segregated from everyone else locked behind two dozen paralogues. Replace them with an expanded Bond Unit system where any two units can make a "child." Include a whole bunch of possible aesthetics these folks can have beyond just Generic Myrmidon or RNG Corrin. Keep all the skill/class/stat goodness. Throw in simple support conversations RD-style or just have them copy support levels from their "parents," whatever.

Meh, I'd rather have actual children with real personalities than generic bond unit fighters. Even if the way they are introduced is terribly executed. 

13 minutes ago, SpearOfLies said:

*current feel like want a fire emblem where there is a small amount of parent units with a large amount of children unlockable based of who married who*

Fire Emblem: Bunny breeding 

24 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

Fire Emblem: Bunny breeding 

What I mean is you actual unlock a different character(personality, class and gender) by the pair you made than different hair color.

1 hour ago, ElectiveToast said:

Meh, I'd rather have actual children with real personalities than generic bond unit fighters. Even if the way they are introduced is terribly executed. 

I'd like to think with decent designs and voice clips they'd be fine. They can still use actual characters too, even older FE characters if they're short on ideas, it'd be kinda like in Heroes. The main point really is just to have the same kid system functionally without all the writing and scenario baggage that comes with it. And there's a lot of that.

I mean it is fun to play matchmaker but honestly its completely down to the writing, I really enjoyed shipping in awakening because I liked pretty much all the characters and the support conversations where usually entertaining, Whereas in Fates I couldn't bring myself to care about more than 10% of the cast and I personally found the support conversations fairly rubbish. Same story with the avatars. As for children I never liked that they segregated the cast into two groups that can't talk to each other 

2 hours ago, a bear said:

I'd like to think with decent designs and voice clips they'd be fine. They can still use actual characters too, even older FE characters if they're short on ideas, it'd be kinda like in Heroes. The main point really is just to have the same kid system functionally without all the writing and scenario baggage that comes with it. And there's a lot of that.

That doesn't go with what FE is about. There's always been more of a focus on characters and the player's attachment to them than say FFT where most of your group is made up of generic, expendable units. To have a system where your characters make a bunch of generic child soldiers or summon Einherjar compromises the entire point of FE, which is to make you care about your units and think of them as more than a bunch of stats, not to mention it's another Fates scenario where even if it's not part of the main plot the implications mess with it anyway.

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

That doesn't go with what FE is about. There's always been more of a focus on characters and the player's attachment to them than say FFT where most of your group is made up of generic, expendable units. To have a system where your characters make a bunch of generic child soldiers or summon Einherjar compromises the entire point of FE, which is to make you care about your units and think of them as more than a bunch of stats, not to mention it's another Fates scenario where even if it's not part of the main plot the implications mess with it anyway.

I assume the majority of people who still want them are only in it for the gameplay. Some folks just won't get attached to characters no matter how well they're designed. I figure throw that crowd a bone, bring kids back, just skip the hassle of dressing everything up at the expense of the main story. Not having to write for them or explain things beyond "magic happened" should allow anyone to pair with anyone as well. Two dads! What's not to love?

Or just ditch em entirely, whatever. I don't like Kidz Emblem anyway.

7 hours ago, a bear said:

I assume the majority of people who still want them are only in it for the gameplay. Some folks just won't get attached to characters no matter how well they're designed. I figure throw that crowd a bone, bring kids back, just skip the hassle of dressing everything up at the expense of the main story. Not having to write for them or explain things beyond "magic happened" should allow anyone to pair with anyone as well. Two dads! What's not to love?

Or just ditch em entirely, whatever. I don't like Kidz Emblem anyway.

I always bench characters I dislike like Ryouma and Takumi. All of fates' child units, I used just two for story chapter.

5 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

Can anyone come up with a good idea for children? 

The only way to do it now without it seeming shoehorned is to do it how FE4 did it. Time travel worked once, and only once.

So unless there's an actual progression in time in the game to justify children, I don't think they'll fly. They could do something weird and left field like the Derprealms, but that really hurt Fates' presentation, characters AND story.

Edited by Slumber

23 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

Can anyone come up with a good idea for children? 

Aside from the obvious time skip, you could have FE Switch start a new chronology on a new continent and focus on one generation per installment for, like, three games (three generations, like Kaga wanted for FE4, if memory serves). I think that might turn out to be a tad restrictive, but it'd at least allow for some coherency and worldbuilding, and it's a relatively non-standard answer that isn't as dumb as the Deeprealms.

Edited by Thane

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

The only way to do it now without it seeming shoehorned is to do it how FE4 did it. Time travel worked once, and only once.

So unless there's an actual progression in time in the game to justify children, I don't think they'll fly. They could do something weird and left field like the Derprealms, but that really hurt Fates' presentation, characters AND story.

I agree, a time skip would probably be the best way to justify having kids.  Time travel worked for Awakening because it was actually implemented into the plot.  The Deeprealms was both lazy and had some pretty bad implications when you really thought about it.  

To make it different from Genealogy you could have it that the parent generation is still around but older, and it'd also be cool to have younger and older versions of the first gen characters.

Just now, ElectiveToast said:

Careful, doing a reverse Awakening could seem lazier than the deeprealms. 

Make a parent arc, make the children arc, make the parent time travel to the children. It's already less lazy than put babies on space where time go fast but don't waste time to training themself.

Another workaround for parents and children coexisting is everyone being long-lived (like elves or something) so people stop aging while they look physically young.

I'd prefer a timeskip with some members of the first generation appearing again (like FE6 and FE7) rather than a "travel forward" time travel story.

On 7/19/2017 at 6:35 PM, SpearOfLies said:

Make the parent time travel to the children *coffcoff*

Isn't that basically what the "Future Past" DLC for Awakening was?

14 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Another workaround for parents and children coexisting is everyone being long-lived (like elves or something) so people stop aging while they look physically young.

I'd prefer a timeskip with some members of the first generation appearing again (like FE6 and FE7) rather than a "travel forward" time travel story.

It will be very interesting to see the old version of characters you played on the same game.

2 minutes ago, The Geek said:

Isn't that basically what the "Future Past" DLC for Awakening was?

*coffcoff*

I'd rather none of the three return, but I wouldn't mind too much if any of them came back so long as they're done well.

The character creation options have felt too limited so far, so more and better choices would be nice. Have the created character take more of a back seat as well. Corrin was pretty insufferable, and he was supposed to be my insert (what does that say about me?).

I think marriage has really done damage to the support conversations. The little amount of characterization the characters get are stretched way to thin across too many potential mates. All of the conversations end up suddenly become romantic too. Cut the number of supporters down to around 7 per character and make only about 3 of them romantic options, the rest platonic.

Children would be cool with a timeskip, but without that leave them out.

On 17/7/2017 at 4:12 PM, Gustavos said:

Tch, if you speak English, then you can only play that game through an emulator and community developed patch. If even 10% of people in the west played FE12 compared to Awakening and Fates, there would be no shortage of complaints about Kris, and the game's character writing in general. I've only seen half of a let's play myself. Support conversations are new to the game, and about 75% of them are Kris with one the ~75 other playable characters. Many of the units in this game will only talk to Kris. In other words, There are definitely more Krissexuals than Robinsexuals and Corrinsexuals combined.

And in general, Kris is showered with compliments non stop, usually by Jagen after every battle. Which is bizarre considering he is not serving a tactician role and you can choose not to deploy him when selecting units. There's a moment early in the game where Jagen confronts General Lang. Kris steals that line in the remake. Kris also serves to downplay Marth's accomplishments, as Marth gets characterized as an idealistic boy that can't stand to lose comrades. At the end of the game, Kris requests that his exploits not be written about in the history books, so that Marth can be remembered as the true hero and king. Because he needs that boost in confidence. What a patronizing retcon.

Maeda seems to be the only person in IS that doesn't respect Marth's figure and legacy... too bad he's both the Writer AND Director

#BlameMaeda 

Regarding all of these points, I would say it depends on the story of the game at hand.

Avatar: If the story is revolved around making something from nothing and raising an army from scratch (like FE9), an avatar may be a good idea. However, if the game has a pre-set backstory for the main character (like FE8), keep the avatar out of the story. Perhaps relegate him/her to an anonymous tactician irrelevant to the story (like FE7 mark and FE13 Robin [before the plot twist]) to avoid destroying the fourth wall, while not interrupting the plot.

Romance: Sure, as long as it's not shoehorned in. There should be limits to who can be with who, and relationships shouldn't jump from friendzones to weddings in one conversation.

Children: There MUST be a proper reason for it. FE4 took place over a long enough time for the children to grow up, and the children add to the 'make a comeback' plot; and FE13's plot literally revolves around the existence of child units. Meanwhile, FE14 didn't need the children at all!

So, yeah. If the plot allows it, add waifu emblem. If it doesn't, don't.

Personally, I hope they do all three, but with a time-skip to allow the children to be born and get to their teen years.

I don't think this would preclude the first generation from being used at all considering most characters are very young at the start of FE games.  If you're having these kids at 17-22, it's not a stretch for you to still be fighting in your late 30s, early 40s.