"Waifu Emblem" Features.

Waifu Emblem Features Poll  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the three FE features do you want to see in the next installment? Character creation, romance, or breeding?

• All three.
    • Character creation is liked, but no romance or children.
    • Character creation and romance are liked, but they better have a good reason to introduce children.
    • Romance and children are liked, but character creation is best left to the bedroom. *wink* *wink*
    • Romance is liked, but the idea of creation altogether is not.
    • None of the above. Classical experience is the best experience.
    • I have something else in mind.

It was good in Awakening, and real fucking awful in Fates, so no lmao I don't want none of that weeb shit.

And as far as an avatar I think I'll pass but if they do include one I'm ok with that.

Edited by tumut

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like character creation, if only so I can have one more mage in the early game, and would be okay with it returning as long as they've learned their lesson with Corrin.

Voted against romance as the "everyone can marry anyone of a different gender" system, but if it was part of a more limited (and hopefully better written) pool of support conversations, that would be fine, I suppose... FE15's romances didn't impress me, but at least it was a better system.

No children. (Unless the plot is built around their existence, but it's probably too soon for another Awakening.)

I like the idea of building a character, but I want it to stay there- I want to be building a character, not a Lord. Heck, they don't even need to be a tactician- just as inconsequential to the plot as Gordin or Kliff.

People don't need in-game romances to ship characters (case in point, I'm far from alone in shipping Lyn/Florina seven games before IS added a gay pairing, and eight games before they added a good one). I find myself stopping before reading the S Support when I'm brushing up on character lore, mostly because most of what I have seen is just... I'm fairly sure some same sex A Supports from the GBA have had more chemistry- and I'm not just talking about Lyn/Florina.

Children... sorry, I just can't find myself justifying them. You need to actually make sure you find yourself pairing units, and I'm starting to wonder if Genealogy's big maps weren't a band-aid patch to cover for the fact that Support grinding is necessary there...

On 7/16/2017 at 11:28 PM, XRay said:

Ike exists and the sales figures of remakes also exist. Going by the sales figures, as long as they do not do another Shadow Dragon, we can assume that Tellius remakes will do okay, but assuming that it will sell like hot cakes is asking for too much.

That's funny, considering what numbers we do have put SoV slightly lower than SD. .6 million isn't bad at all for a low effort remake.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

That's funny, considering what numbers we do have put SoV slightly lower than SD. .6 million isn't bad at all for a low effort remake.

Shadow Dragon looks low effort, but I do not think we have the numbers to confirm whether it actually costs less to make.

Shadows of Valentia has only been out recently. If you break it down by weekly sales, Shadow Dragon fared poorly internationally, although Shadows of Valentia fared poorly in Japan. I think the strong sales internationally should make up for the poor performance in Japan, so Shadows of Valentia should sell at least as well Shadow Dragon. However, I am not sure if VGChartz track online sales, so Shadows of Valentia might be doing better than Shadow Dragon.

Shadow Dragon Weekly Sales

Shadows of Valentia Weekly Sales

Edited by XRay

I wouldn't mind S-supports coming back, but I'm fine with it not coming back either. I think we should leave character creation out, and don't even bother with the children, unless they might do some time-skip thing like in Genealogy of the Holy War, but I doubt they'll do that.

I'm, eh, okay with the idea of character creation in FE16...so long as we're a Robin and not a Corrin. Even Robin being crucial to Awakening's third arc is a little too much for me. I get it, they're a self-insert and IS wants to involve the player directly, but I prefer FE being about characters other than the player, and I feel like the writing is a lot stronger when they don't have to stop and think, "Is the player special enough? Are we giving them enough plot-relevance and attention?" A lot of the more pandery, blatant player-targeted fanservice stuff they did in Awakening/Fates (Tharja and Camilla's entire existences, basically) was pretty cringeworthy on the whole, and Shadows of Valentia without a self-insert worked very well for me. I still got invested in the story and characters (even moreso, considering the tone was a lot more consistent and the plot/character writing stronger than either of the previous two games imo).

If we absolutely have to be in the game, make us a normal person. Sure, we can form bonds with other characters and be friends with the lord, but please, IS, you don't need to cater to us and make us a special snowflake or the entire center of the world. That sort of thing works better with WRPGs, since the whole point of those for the most part is making a godly/special "chosen" character that everyone else is in awe of. JRPGs, for the most part, follow established characters with their own stories, in a world that doesn't revolve around them.

I'd honestly prefer no avatar system, since it's been done badly more than it's been done well (the Kris fiasco,  for one...as a side note, I don't really count the FE7 tactician as an avatar, since Mark is pretty much a non-entity other than characters sort of awkwardly turning to look and talk into the screen).

And kids...gonna say no on that one, unless we're going straight Genealogy style with two generations (I wouldn't mind a return of that mechanic). The Deeprealms became a meme for how badly-done and nonsensical it was. Even if Awakening handled the kids well for the most part, you can't exactly do a second time travel scenario/apocalyptic future scenario and make it feel fresh.

I was never one of those people that decried FE13/14 as a "dating sim/waifu emblem" the way a lot of people did, but some of the mechanics were a little harmful to the quality of the writing as a whole, imo. I'm fine with S supports between non-avatar characters resulting in marriage and paired endings.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:45 PM, Extrasolar said:

And kids...gonna say no on that one, unless we're going straight Genealogy style with two generations (I wouldn't mind a return of that mechanic). The Deeprealms became a meme for how badly-done and nonsensical it was. Even if Awakening handled the kids well for the most part, you can't exactly do a second time travel scenario/apocalyptic future scenario and make it feel fresh.

I was never one of those people that decried FE13/14 as a "dating sim/waifu emblem" the way a lot of people did, but some of the mechanics were a little harmful to the quality of the writing as a whole, imo. I'm fine with S supports between non-avatar characters resulting in marriage and paired endings.

I agree with this statement. I would love to see a Fire Emblem with a second generation again. I feel that Geneaology is probably the only one who did the child-creation mechanic right, as you technically only needed Lucina for Awakening and Fates handled children horribly.

Related to this, I would like to see a Fire Emblem where the character creation is similar to Dragon Age or Mass Effect. I'd like having more say in my avatar's personality instead of physical features. Maybe one is a bit more snarky than another, or is a bit more timid. Even better if the makeshift past relates to their growths as well, such as with Fire Emblem 12.

I'm fine with an avatar, just so long as it isn't an excuse to praise the player for their tactical genius, even though you are playing on normal phoenix and you just kept ordering everyone to their deaths until the enemy was routed. I like the thought of the avatar being the lense that you view the story through but still being of little consequence to the plot as a whole.

I would like all three, though only if executed to Awakening's standard and above. The lack of their existence in the game would not be a gamechanger for me though and I would still buy the game without question. I just feel as though their presence really adds an extra layer of strategy and planning on to the game that can be avoided but is fun to take part in should you choose to do so.

Obviously the children are the most controversial of the three, and I would actually be disappointed to see them shoehorned into the game as happened in Fates. If they have to come up with a reason for putting them in that is as contrived as pocket dimensions where time runs faster then they detract from the game. The benefits they would bring are minor compared to the damage done to the story and parent characters in that case.

Edited by Raptok
Spelling and clarity

I want to see romance, but maybe not for everyone.  Kids, I'm unsure about.  Avatars, I like them, but I'd like them to be somewhere between Kris and Robin.  Maybe they can be like Max from Mad Max Fury Road, where Furiosa is the protagonist and Max is the viewpoint character.

I want all three but I wish to state my opinions on them.

Marriage - No more Avatarsexuals, especially since the balancing issue in Birthright where you were forced to marry Reina/Anna/Scarlet/second gen units if you wanted all the kids. No "Everyone can hookup even if they would realistically hate each other" gimmick. Less devotion to fanservice (The "Bond" feature made me physically uncomfortable due to how awkward it was)

Kids - Find a valid reason to bring them into the main storyline, no babyrealm BS. In Fates, once they were in the main story they were totally irrelevant to the plot outside of supports, so give them plot relevance.

Avatar - S K I N T O N E S and F A C I A L H A I R. At least let me choose what their personality is, because seeing Corrin act idiotic in the name of "Peace" in Conquest irritated me since they blatantly disobey direct orders and somehow find an excuse to avoid death by treason every time.

2 hours ago, DialgaMatthews said:

I want all three but I wish to state my opinions on them.

Marriage - No more Avatarsexuals, especially since the balancing issue in Birthright where you were forced to marry Reina/Anna/Scarlet/second gen units if you wanted all the kids. No "Everyone can hookup even if they would realistically hate each other" gimmick. Less devotion to fanservice (The "Bond" feature made me physically uncomfortable due to how awkward it was)

Kids - Find a valid reason to bring them into the main storyline, no babyrealm BS. In Fates, once they were in the main story they were totally irrelevant to the plot outside of supports, so give them plot relevance.

Avatar - S K I N T O N E S and F A C I A L H A I R. At least let me choose what their personality is, because seeing Corrin act idiotic in the name of "Peace" in Conquest irritated me since they blatantly disobey direct orders and somehow find an excuse to avoid death by treason every time.

I think most people agree that the systems would be fine if they were as you described.

Problem is, I don't think the ones who want the stuff gone trust IS to handle these systems as well as you described. I know I really don't.

Whereas I DO trust IS to make a more well-rounded experience if they just don't try to use these systems again. Echoes certainly lacked the gameplay depth that, say, Fates did, but characters, supports and general character interactions/dialogue were handled much better. Which is generally where avatars, kids and marriage have dragged down the recent games they've been in.

As far as Avatars are concerned, Intelligent Systems needs to finally figure out how to do Avatars. It feels like they're constantly trying to fuse character creation with typical FE Lords, and it comes across as a lesser version of both. If you want the player to be an Avatar, then give them more control over the character through things like dialogue choices and such like that. Don't give the character a set personality and expect the player to fall into that especially when said character reacts in a way no reasonable person would (aka Corrin).

As for children, do it like Genealogy or don't do it at all. I'm sick of seeing the parents and children at the same age. Fates showed me how tiring that's getting. I forgive Awakening because the time travel aspect was rather important, but there's no reasonable way to keep that sort of thing going.

And marriage....put it back in support endings like it used to be. Older games got by just fine with implying that special things would come in the future for couples. I don't need to see more forced romances. On that note, bring back platonic endings. Those were excellent.

Just no more incubator dimensions, please. It was fine in Awakening cause time travel, but the incubator dimension was ridiculous. If they do children again, I think they should utilize a time skip since time travel is unlikely to be a thing so soon.

Character creation...I use default Robin all the time now anyways, so I'd be perfectly fine if they canned it going forward. Not like they were good avatars anyway. Too much personality.

S supports...probably not. I like some of them, and some of them actually seem to work (not telling which ones though since this is not the thread for this), but honestly I just don't like what they'll probably end up doing with it.

Huh, I guess I just sided against the features of my favorite game in the series...weird. Though, execution is key.

Avatar would be good, as long as they're more Robin and less Corrin. 

Romantic Supports should stay in, because it's fun shipping people.

Children probably shouldn't return. If they did a time skip, it would just be Genealogy, if they did time travel, it would just be Awakening, and any other way would just be ridiculous.

I didnt mind the S Support system at all. A lot of games now days are going the route of having romance options, even some of the largest titles of the past few years. Mass Effect, Witcher 3, etc. So its not something I minded at all for Fire Emblem.

I do think it needs some overhauls and changes though. First thing first is S Supports need to be not just romance options for all characters. I liked the idea of A Supports in Fates, but they had nothing attached to them other than the ability to reclass. I think adding a support to this for more platonic endings, whether it be between two people of the same gender or opposite, would be a good step.

The other step that needs to be taken is to make the romance not seem so sudden. There were a good bit of supports in Awakening, and even moreso in Fates that were such a leap they left the player confused more than anything. There were also some that were good, that didnt feel like such a big leap. I think part of this can be countered by fewer supports between characters. Unfortunately, Echoes took the extreme with this two, no character should only have 1 support, or even none. I think setting a minimum of somewhere around 5-8 would be good. It would really depend on the size of the cast though.

It can also be helped by making the "relationship" part of the support last a bit longer. I think instead of having S Support mean marriage, it should mean that they are in a relationship, whether this be a platonic friendship or a romantic love interest doesnt matter. After that point, maybe add an extra exclusive support or two for the characters to make it feel a little less sudden.

The other part that needs to go is Avatar only supports. I didnt exactly mind this for DLC characters, it made a little sense, especially in the case of Anna for Fates, but characters like Gunter or Scarlet having no supports outside of Corrin made no sense at all. They should of at least had 2-3 others each.

The other thing attached to avatars that needs to change is not allowing them to support every single character, or at least not in one playthrough. This is something I think would better the Avatar as a whole, but would take some work. Give a personality choice in the beginning. Let them choose between 3 or so personalities, and this determines everything from crit quotes and battle quotes to variations in their lines to even who they have available to support. I think this would allow the writing to be a little smoother with the Avatar, and also allow for a good bit of replay-ability. It would also help prevent the Avatar from having the personality of wet cardboard.

One last thing, I think the one thing that really needs to be kept from Fates and Awakening's support system is less battlefield supports. Echoes did this completely wrong, and then semi fixed it with the Cipher characters. There should be very, very few supports actually taking place in the middle of battle. First, its ridiculous. No one is going to stop and have a detailed conversation with someone while people are trying to stab them with pointy metal sticks. You didnt exactly see Jon Snow hanging out talking to Tormund during the battle of the bastards, nor should we in FE. Second, it limits the supports a lot. When you place it on the battlefield, you really limit what the subject matter of the support could be about. Just look at the difference between Fates and Echoes. Fates had a large variety of subjects with the supports, everything from 2 characters cooking, hunting, sparring, even doing chores together. It gave a different view into the lives of the characters, and allowed for us to get a look at them off the battlefield. Echoes on the other hand was mostly about nothing. Just between Tobin, Gray, and Kliff all they do is bicker at each other for 2 supports and then resolve their little fight at 3. Thats it.

So yes, I wouldnt mind S Supports returning, but with a lot of tweaks in the process. Children on the otherhand, I would rather that just stay out of the picture until a Holy War remake or if it somehow betters the story.

Avatars: I like created player characters but I HATE how IS has used it. First there's the fact that I can't make a staff using or bow using lord which pisses me off to end as your given other units that can fight so let us pick how we're going to operate during a fight! On that note: Do not and I mean it, do not force us into a class. Even with the Tactician/Grandmaster classes being a nice throwback to Mage Fighters/War Mages, I hated the fact that I couldn't start as a Fighter or a Myrmidon.

Oh and if you're going to have some gay option(s) have them be varied or you fuck off with it.

As for Avatar in the story, I believe that Chris Avellone said it best (although I'm paraphrasing):

"The player should be a Shonen hero, the game however should not suck the player's dick."

Edited by Fala

I voted yes to all of them.

Avatars: I really like character customization. In fact, this was my main reason for buying Awakening and getting into the series. That being said, I'd rather have some decent options for this feature. It sucks that M!Corrin has some of the worst options for character customization I've ever seen in a video game. I have no problem with them having their own personality as long as I can customize them, but I'd rather have them be well-written. But I hope characters don't worship the Avatar to the point that the story feels incoherent as a result.

Marriage: If there are two thing Shadows of Valentia has taught me, it's that fewer supports don't automatically mean higher-quality ones, and that having a canonical romance doesn't mean that it won't be forced. Alm x Celica and Clair x Gray feel very forced IMO (Mae x Boey and Clive x Mathilda are pretty good, though). I'd rather have the option to avoid those if possible and S-Supports would allow that. I like to have a choice between good and bad options instead of not having a choice at all. Not only that, but even in the games where people claim that "everyone can marry everyone" I feel there are some missed opportunities. Why can't Sumia support with Stahl, Kellam, and Ricken? Why can't Ryoma support with Scarlet? Why can't Flora support with Jakob and Gunter? Why can't Takumi support with Selena? Honestly, I believe that having more options is usually better. But please, no more AvatarSexuals.

Children: While I'd rather have them with a good in-story justification, I'd prefer to have them with a lame "Deeprealm" explanation than not have them at all. Another thing I disliked about Shadows of Valentia is that it had almost no replayability. All it had was 5 villagers and 3 pitchforks. With children you can influence their base stats, their growths, their classes, their skills, etc. And since in Fates their paralogues scale with your progress in the main story, you can do their paralogues pretty much whenever and they'll still be usable. This adds so much replay time that I still play Awakening and Fates every now and then, while I've felt no inclination to ever replay Shadows of Valentia, despite the fact that I had more fun on my first playthrough of SoV than I had with the other two games.

While I'd rather not have any, it's more realistic imo to say there will be some of it. Then again, the interview with the SoV makers mentioned how removing these mechanics may seem like removals to the new crowd, while old players know it's more of a return to form. This kinda makes me think they want to take a break from it, at least for a little while.