"Waifu Emblem" Features.

Waifu Emblem Features Poll  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the three FE features do you want to see in the next installment? Character creation, romance, or breeding?

• All three.
    • Character creation is liked, but no romance or children.
    • Character creation and romance are liked, but they better have a good reason to introduce children.
    • Romance and children are liked, but character creation is best left to the bedroom. *wink* *wink*
    • Romance is liked, but the idea of creation altogether is not.
    • None of the above. Classical experience is the best experience.
    • I have something else in mind.

1 minute ago, ElectiveToast said:

Uh, yeah, it does matter. Silent protagonist with voiced crit quote wouldn't make any sense. Having all the other characters with lines and voices, but not your protagonist wouldn't make any sense. If the protagonist is the the fray, he needs to do it just like everyone else. Plus, none of the other fighting protagonists were silent, so the sudden change would strike many players as odd. 

Then I guess Zelda: Breath of the Wild doesn't make sense. Because It's voiced, but Link is silent as always besides his grunts.

It does not matter as much as you think it does. I fail to see how it's odd or doesn't make sense at all. And the Avatar would have the critical lines you recorded when fighting like I said, so it's not like they're also completely silent in battle.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like making avatars as I find it fun and that it adds a lot of replay-ability. However, considering this will be on the Switch, if they do add CC, I expect it to be good lol. Also well written? :O

I'd prefer no children. I'm second-generation-ed out.

Romance is whatever. I don't really have an opinion on it. I'd just hope that the romances are written well, although I think I'd prefer mostly platonic relationships anyways.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then I guess Zelda: Breath of the Wild doesn't make sense. Because It's voiced, but Link is silent as always besides his grunts.

It does not matter as much as you think it does. I fail to see how it's odd or doesn't make sense at all. And the Avatar would have the critical lines you recorded when fighting like I said, so it's not like they're also completely silent in battle.

Zelda has had Link historically silent. Marth, Alm, Sigurd, Seliph, Leaf, Roy, Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Ephraim, Erika, Ike, Michiah, Chrom, and all three avatars have been fully dialogued and voiced as much as the other characters. Fire Emblem does not have historically silent protagonists. Changing this for the sake of a mechanical gimmick would be seen as odd and needless. 

If however, you're talking about a character with minimal dialogue for the sake of character building, that would be fine. He still needs to have sufficient voice snippets. 

Zelda has had Link historically silent. Marth, Alm, Sigurd, Seliph, Leaf, Roy, Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Ephraim, Erika, Ike, Michiah, Chrom, and all three avatars have been fully dialogued and voiced as much as the other characters. Fire Emblem does not have historically silent protagonists. Changing this for the sake of a mechanical gimmick would be seen as odd and needless. 

If however, you're talking about a character with minimal dialogue for the sake of character building, that would be fine. He still needs to have sufficient voice snippets. 

And people generally think the three current avatars are awfully done while they're generally fine with the FE7 tactician. I think people would be okay with FE going with a silent Avatar. Also, the Avatar doesn't at all need to be a major character either.

Edited by Anacybele

I like romance, but it should be more quality over quantity. A few options for each character here and there like FE7. Also wouldn't mind an Avatar but they don't need to be the main character, they can have a personality but I prefer if they're not the focus.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And people generally think the three current avatars are awfully done while they're generally fine with the FE7 tactician. I think people would be okay with FE going with a silent Avatar. Also, the Avatar doesn't at all need to be a major character either.

Okay, two things: 

1. I haven't heard much debate about Kris, and people generally complain that Awakening and Fates' writing overall is poor. The problem isn't the avatars, it's the bad writers. 

2. The reason nobody complains about Mark is because there's nothing to complain about. He's an accessory, and nothing more. If I'm going to create a character, he better play a bigger role than appearing in a few cutscenes. Otherwise, what's the point? 

Edited by ElectiveToast

5 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

Okay, two things: 

1. I haven't heard much debate about Kris, and people generally complain that Awakening and Fates' writing overall is poor. The problem isn't the avatars, it's the bad writers. 

2. The reason nobody complains about Mark is because there's nothing to complain about. He's an accessory, and nothing more. If I'm going to create a character, he better play a bigger role than appearing in a few cutscenes. Otherwise, what's the point? 

I've seen plenty of people say Kris ruined Marth as a character because he/she was inserted into a story that never had an Avatar to begin with and so the writing was fucked with.

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I've seen plenty of people say Kris ruined Marth as a character because he/she was inserted into a story that never had an Avatar to begin with and so the writing was fucked with.

Are you sure that's not just nostalgia boy nitpicking, or did adding an avatar truly dampen the story's quality? 

6 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

Are you sure that's not just nostalgia boy nitpicking, or did adding an avatar truly dampen the story's quality? 

I can't say for sure, I didn't play the game since it didn't leave Japan. I'm just going by what I've seen people around here say.

I just wanna point out that the Japanese version of Awakening had a mode where Robin was a silent protagonist. So yes, silent protagonist Avatars can work in FE.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I just wanna point out that the Japanese version of Awakening had a mode where Robin was a silent protagonist. So yes, silent protagonist Avatars can work in FE.

They can, but it would be out of place and weird. No surprise if it didn't make it to Fates. There is literally no reason to make a protagonist silent unless it's just in the game's history, or fits the protagonist's personality. 

They can, but it would be out of place and weird. No surprise if it didn't make it to Fates. 

The thing with Fates though is that the "Avatar" is the main focus. In Awakening, Robin wasn't the main focus, at least not until the 2nd half of the game. 

2 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

There is literally no reason to make a protagonist silent unless it's just in the game's history, or fits the protagonist's personality. 

Plenty of games have worked just fine with silent protagonists. Look at Xenoblade Chronicles X. Granted, the story wasn't really the main focus there, but it still had a story, yet the Avatar was silent. And i've said this before, Cross is an example of a good Avatar. Cross is the type of Avatar FE should have if it's gonna keep having Avatars.

1 hour ago, ElectiveToast said:

Tch, if you speak English, then you can only play that game through an emulator and community developed patch. If even 10% of people in the west played FE12 compared to Awakening and Fates, there would be no shortage of complaints about Kris, and the game's character writing in general. I've only seen half of a let's play myself. Support conversations are new to the game, and about 75% of them are Kris with one the ~75 other playable characters. Many of the units in this game will only talk to Kris. In other words, There are definitely more Krissexuals than Robinsexuals and Corrinsexuals combined.

And in general, Kris is showered with compliments non stop, usually by Jagen after every battle. Which is bizarre considering he is not serving a tactician role and you can choose not to deploy him when selecting units. There's a moment early in the game where Jagen confronts General Lang. Kris steals that line in the remake. Kris also serves to downplay Marth's accomplishments, as Marth gets characterized as an idealistic boy that can't stand to lose comrades. At the end of the game, Kris requests that his exploits not be written about in the history books, so that Marth can be remembered as the true hero and king. Because he needs that boost in confidence. What a patronizing retcon.

26 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

if you speak English

Desfortudamente, no hablo Inglés. 

But seriously, I'm starting to see why some people hate fanservice, even if it is financially good for the series. 

1 I will not complain about avatar as long them don't make him do dumb decision making.

2 I will not complain about marriage aka S rank as long them make good amount of good support.

3 I will not complain about Children mechanic as long they make sense to the plot and aren't a filler.

4 As long there is a very good amount of good support, I will complain less. Otherwise more.

10 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I didn't care much for Mark either for the same reason. Not to mention that isn't even a gender neutral name like Kris, Robin, and Corrin. ...Well, I'm not actually sure if Corrin is gender neutral, but it doesn't sound as blatantly masculine as Mark.

Now, if Mark was playable, but still silent(ish), that'd be fine. Like I said, I want to be able to choose my own class, look, and support pool and all.

This just got me thinking though... What if we could use the mic function to record the Avatar's critical hit lines too? I know not everyone's a real voice actor, but it could be fun!

In the show Bachelor, there was a female contestant named Corinne.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

In the show Bachelor, there was a female contestant named Corinne.

Different spelling. That one looks more feminine.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Different spelling. That one looks more feminine.

As long as they are pronounced similarly enough, I think it is good. Mark, not matter how you write it, will sound pretty masculine.

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

As long as they are pronounced similarly enough, I think it is good. Mark, not matter how you write it, will sound pretty masculine.

Marque

There. My friend Jacques(He goes by Jake because people kept calling him "Jackie") taught me that if you want a name to look deceptively feminine, just make it look French. 

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Slumber said:

Marque

There. My friend Jacques(He goes by Jake) taught me that if you want a name to look deceptively feminime, just make it look French. 

It still sounds like a dude when I say it.

It's not like I want waifus, but it's not like I completely don't want them either... Though I feel that they'll definitely be in there going by the last few entries of the series.