Playing the older games kinda feels like hitting a brick wall

Ronnie

This is kind of a mini rant so I'm putting it in fftf in case it's unable to spark discussion in the FE board.

I feel like I've been spoiled by the mechanics implemented in the later games that when playing the GBA games for the first time, it feels like hitting a brick wall. There's no pair-ups, no attack or guard stances, no universal enemy range at the touch of an X button, no way to set up where my units start the map. In other words, it's like going from Pokémon Sun to Pokémon Sapphire. Now this isn't me saying that the older FE games are bad. Not at all, I'm having a blast playing Sacred Stones and Binding Blade. I just can't help but be spoiled by the newer mechanics that either make the series more convenient for me or a little more interesting.

Now the jump from 3DS to NES (or in Pokémon's case from 3DS to GB), that's a hurdle I can't make myself leap lol.

Just ram harder, you'll make a breakthrough eventually.

You're far from the only one who feels whiplash from playing Fire Emblem games in different periods. Going from the GBA games to Genealogy and the DS games felt strange at first due to the lack of rescue, and Thracia 776's rescue is a bit different too. And don't even get me started on Thracia's menu command ordering...

Just now, Nobody said:

that's not true.

All the GBA games have this

Really? I guess I'm still too early in Binding Blade then. I start the chapter and after the dialogue my units are in their set positions.

Just now, Ronnie said:

Really? I guess I'm still too early in Binding Blade then. I start the chapter and after the dialogue my units are in their set positions.

Yeah, it unlocks after a few chapters. It's the same way in Fates and Awakening, you can't choose the position of the units in the first few chapters.

Just click on check map and then formation when the map menu starts appearing.

I tried to play Gaiden before Echoes released.

Wow, was that a trip.

No battle previews? No way to check movement ranges? No crit chance displayed anywhere?

Nope! You had to check your unit stats and enemy stats and manually calculate the damage that will be done and figure out the battle results yourself.

You can't see the hit chance until you actually enter in battle. So you can't properly evaluate risks a lot of the time. And you can't see the crit chance anywhere, so it's a complete unknown (unless you actually look up the formulas and do the math).

You can't see movement and attack ranges at all so you have to count them manually. I've lost a couple units because I miscounted a 7 or 8 movement range. Oh, and let's not forget bow knights have a 5 range attack, so have fun manually mapping out 8 movement + 5 attack range to keep your weaker/slower units out of it.

Eventually I got used to it but was a major pain.

It's not that bad in the end but there was a ton of counting movement and attack ranges 1 tile at a time...

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing

16 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

You can't see movement and attack ranges at all so you have to count them manually. I've lost a couple units because I miscounted a 7 or 8 movement range. Oh, and let's not forget bow knights have a 5 range attack, so have fun manually mapping out 8 movement + 5 attack range to keep your weaker/slower units out of it.

Eventually I got used to it but was a major pain.

It's not that bad in the end but there was a ton of counting movement and attack ranges 1 tile at a time...

Oh boy you just reminded me, even when movement range displays became a thing it was still somewhat tedious until the GBA, because the cursor would snap back to the unit after you deselected them. I had to double-check a lot while playing FE4 because I'd lose track of the border space.

On 7/16/2017 at 9:08 PM, Ronnie said:

no universal enemy range at the touch of an X button

This one I constantly keep realizing when playing older games. Same with tagging enemy units whose range you want to be displayed.

I started with the GBA games so the rest does not bother me but that one above? Yeah :D

Edited by MadJak91