BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle!?

MediocreLee

4 hours ago, Water Mage said:

The 3 news characters are Yukiko, Gordeau and Azreal. Yukiko and Gordeau were expect, but Azreal was a suprising choice. I was expecting the new Blazblue character to be either Tsubaki or Hakumen.

Azrael is pretty popular within the fandom (especially in Japan, due to his VA); I wouldn't say he was unexpected. 

Also, here's 50 seconds of Weiss gameplay from the stream looped several times:

They goofed with her height; she's supposed to be as tall as Ruby while wearing heels and is one of the shorter characters on the show, yet she's as tall as Jin here.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i'm not terribly thrilled about the manservice character getting in but meh, fan-base likes what it wants I guess (i'm talking about Azrael btw). I'm just in the boat of people waiting for Blake to show up.

I can't wait to play against all the Gordeau mains online, because his Grim Reaper special isn't ingrained into my psyche at all, I have no Idea why anyone would think otherwise. Grim Reaper! Grim Reaper! Grim Reaper! GRIM REAPER!!! GRIM REAPER!!!

• 4 weeks later...

New trailer dropped today. If you're going to be playing this game for the Blazblue characters you're going to be pretty happy with this one. I'm personally the most excited for Iron Tager out of this batch of new characters.

Well, we heard Noel say at the end of the previous trailer "you guys are in this as well?" hinting at someone familiar to her so seeing a lot of blazblue characters in this one is unsurprising. Exiting to see all the new additions nonetheless! :^_^:

• 4 weeks later...

Now we have information on the DLC practices, which is... uh, news?

Basically the 20 characters we have now are the final base roster, and we'll get 20 more characters as DLC. No, that isn't a joke. The first DLC character announced is Blake. So if you need a refresher, our base roster is:

Spoiler
  • Ragna
  • Jin
  • Rachel
  • Hazama
  • Noel
  • Azrael
  • Tager
  • Makoto
  • Nu
  • Es
  • Yu
  • Yosuke
  • Chie
  • Yukiko
  • Hyde
  • Linne
  • Waldstein
  • Gordeau
  • Ruby
  • Weiss

The planned DLC releases are:

• DLC Character All-in-One Pack
  • DLC Character: Blake Belladonna
  • DLC Character Set Vol. 1: ???, ???, and ???
  • DLC Character Set Vol. 2: ???, ???, and ???
  • DLC Character Set Vol. 3: ???, ???, and ???
  • DLC Character Set Vol. 4: ???, ???, and ???
  • DLC Character Set Vol. 5: ???, ???, and ???
  • DLC Character Set Vol. 6: ???, ???, and ???
  • DLC Character: ???

The game will release May 31 in Japan and June 5 in North America.

Source

Edited by Lightchao42

...Yeah, this really took things from "gotta see more but a hopeful purchase" to "screw this I'm out".

You reveal the full roster of only 20 characters, and then tease another 20 as DLC? And you're not even putting the entirety of team RWBY in there? And announce all this half a year before launch?

What. Are. They. Thinking. They've pretty much burned bridges with every fanbase at this point.

Edited by The DanMan

6 minutes ago, DIO said:

Man...is there even anyone that's still rooting for this, let alone supporting the decision?

They already burned most competitive players due to the simplified controls (though those who've had hands-on seem to be pleased at least). The BlazBlue side takes up half the roster and is missing several fan favorites while every other series' representation is straight-up incomplete. This announcement alone pretty much killed all interest people had in the game.

...How did they fuck up so badly? Even a budget release isn't enough to save it.

Edited by The DanMan

1 minute ago, Hylian Air Force said:

I don't think Roosterteeth will be happy about ASW doing this. Granted, BlazBlue is in the title, but they gave the characters to do this.

It seems like they were last-minute inclusions (or the game was just super rushed in general... seems more likely at this point). If it's already a thing, it means RT signed off on it.

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

(or the game was just super rushed in general... seems more likely at this point)

That's my theory too,  they most likely just wanted to release the game as fast as possible and decided to cut corners. I'm thinking I might wait and see what the DLC has to offer before I buy the game for myself so I can cherry pick the characters I want out of the ones I don't, but hey if the backlash is hard enough maybe they'll make some of the DLC characters free as an apology(most likely it'll be Blake and Yang). I'm pretty disappointed in ArcSys on this one, they're a really great fighting game developer/publisher that's about to get a bad mark on their record. In fact I'm calling it right now, if they don't do something to make it up to the fans with this game it's going to go down in history as the black sheep of Blazblue. Metacritic better quote me on that in their reviews.

On the bright side things could have been worse... Like... Loot boxes worse.

8 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

That's my theory too,  they most likely just wanted to release the game as fast as possible and decided to cut corners. I'm thinking I might wait and see what the DLC has to offer before I buy the game for myself so I can cherry pick the characters I want out of the ones I don't, but hey if the backlash is hard enough maybe they'll make some of the DLC characters free as an apology(most likely it'll be Blake and Yang). I'm pretty disappointed in ArcSys on this one, they're a really great fighting game developer/publisher that's about to get a bad mark on their record. In fact I'm calling it right now, if they don't do something to make it up to the fans with this game it's going to go down in history as the black sheep of Blazblue. Metacritic better quote me on that in their reviews.

On the bright side things could have been worse... Like... Loot boxes worse.

The base game is priced at 5800 yen, which is a pricepoint that generally converts to $40. The LE is 10,500 yen and has some other junk besides the season pass. So it's looking like $40 for the base game and $20-$30 for the season pass, which is a lot better than what people thought. Still, definitely could've been handled a lot better.

10 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The base game is priced at 5800 yen, which is a pricepoint that generally converts to $40. The LE is 10,500 yen and has some other junk besides the season pass. So it's looking like $40 for the base game and $20-$30 for the season pass, which is a lot better than what people thought. Still, definitely could've been handled a lot better.

So in other words, it is a full price game, but you can choose to pay for a stripped down version if you can't afford the whole thing.

8 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

So in other words, it is a full price game, but you can choose to pay for a stripped down version if you can't afford the whole thing.

Basically. Which is weird, as they could release the game with some of the DLC characters at full price, and then nickel and dime the rest... and avoid all this bad publicity + gain more money. It just doesn't make much sense how they're handling it.

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Persona 5 Arena’s chances depended on the this game’s success...but now, chances are slim.

I've seen it said that was a potential mistranslation, and that it could also mean "work can't happen on P5A while BBTAG is in development".

I think if this game is a budget release with the season pass around $19.99 then maybe I'll be a bit more willing to go launch day but... man. How is a game company  in 2018 repeating proven unpopular business models from like, eight years ago? Talk about not learning from the past. Honestly, if we had to wait until the Christmas season to get all forty characters (or perhaps even thirty with ten dlc!) as a part of the base game, I would take that delay.

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Basically. Which is weird, as they could release the game with some of the DLC characters at full price, and then nickel and dime the rest... and avoid all this bad publicity + gain more money. It just doesn't make much sense how they're handling it.

I've seen it said that was a potential mistranslation, and that it could also mean "work can't happen on P5A while BBTAG is in development".

Let’s hope that’s the case. Considering how much of a cash cow Persona 5 is becoming, P5A might happen even if this game is a failure. 

But seriously, it’s amazing how the hype for this game went down in single day. Whose idea was it? There are people that are paid to say this kind of thing is a bad idea. How this was approved?! This is utter stupidity.

And I wonder how Japan is reacting to this.

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Let’s hope that’s the case. Considering how much of a cash cow Persona 5 is becoming, P5A might happen even if this game is a failure. 

But seriously, it’s amazing how the hype for this game went down in single day. Whose idea was it? There are people that are paid to say this kind of thing is a bad idea. How this was approved?! This is utter stupidity.

And I wonder how Japan is reacting to this.

Apparently quite badly as well.

They've got a ways to go to salvage this.

7 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Apparently quite badly as well.

They've got a ways to go to salvage this.

Can it be even be salvaged? The damage was done, even if they suddenly make the entire rooster free. Seriously, it was pure stupidity. They had to know that people would react badly. No one can be that stupid. Was this the idea of the inverstors who know nothing of games? I wonder how many bridges they burned.

Edited by Water Mage

Wow, way to kill hype for your game ASW. If it's gonna be $40 for the base game + $20 for DLC, why not just make it a $60 game? Now most people will just wait it out.

Edited by DragonLord