BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle!?

MediocreLee

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was planning on getting this prior as it had caught my eye and I'd figured I'd get into Blazblue (another fighting game for me to try to get good at besides Smash, Street Fighter, and DOA) but due to overall lack of familiarity with the roster (mostly know some of the Persona and RWBY characters) I was keeping an eye on it. Now I'm wondering if I regret putting it on my most anticipated titles of 2018 due to this. I'm sorry half the roster as dlc? Also  the unbalanced representation erks me (is a big support of series getting proper representation, so doesn't mind 6 FE reps in smash but still says they shouldn't have more reps than Zelda). Honestly I'm heavily considering passing on this game now.

10 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

So I was planning on getting this prior as it had caught my eye and I'd figured I'd get into Blazblue (another fighting game for me to try to get good at besides Smash, Street Fighter, and DOA) but due to overall lack of familiarity with the roster (mostly know some of the Persona and RWBY characters) I was keeping an eye on it. Now I'm wondering if I regret putting it on my most anticipated titles of 2018 due to this. I'm sorry half the roster as dlc? Also  the unbalanced representation erks me (is a big support of series getting proper representation, so doesn't mind 6 FE reps in smash but still says they shouldn't have more reps than Zelda). Honestly I'm heavily considering passing on this game now.

The game was never going to have equal representation-- though I wasn't expecting it to be quite as lopsided, it was always clear that BlazBlue (the game that's in the title) would get the most and RWBY would get the least.

At this point, all we can do is wait for them to confirm Western pricing; if it does translate into $40 for the base game and $30 or less for the season pass, a lot of the complaints will subside.

54 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The game was never going to have equal representation-- though I wasn't expecting it to be quite as lopsided, it was always clear that BlazBlue (the game that's in the title) would get the most and RWBY would get the least.

At this point, all we can do is wait for them to confirm Western pricing; if it does translate into $40 for the base game and $30 or less for the season pass, a lot of the complaints will subside.

I never expected equal representation but fair representation. Meaning at least have the main characters present to accurately depict their series. I guess that is true that Blazblue itself would have the most but only having 2 RWBY reps in the game in the base roster seems wrong.

Actually that's a good point, waiting on pricing may be best here. I was honestly expecting it to be a full $60 game and then about another $40 for the rest of the roster but if it is that price then that's a bit more reasonable.

20 characters is already a pretty beefy roster for a 2D anime fighter and is on par or more than you would typically see in a full release. 40 characters is absolutely gargantuan. People see dlc and automatically assume predatory practice but I don't think this is the case here. 

What I don't understand is why does it cost them extra money to dump already made sprites?

It's about as lazy as Capcom vs SNK 2 or Marvel vs Capcom 2 where they just dumped their old sprites like it was MUGEN.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Seemingly in response to all the negative reactions surrounding only half of RWBY's title in the base game, Blake and Yang will now be released for free.

The strangest and most perplexing thing about this is why ArcSys initially only included half the RWBY team in the base game while selling the other half as DLC. Did ArcSys seriously expect people to buy the initial game and then fork over some cash to buy the rest of the team?

This is a good start. Still need to confirm Western pricing, but a good start nonetheless.

10 hours ago, BZL8 said:

The strangest and most perplexing thing about this is why ArcSys initially only included half the RWBY team in the base game while selling the other half as DLC. Did ArcSys seriously expect people to buy the initial game and then fork over some cash to buy the rest of the team?

If it's $40 base + $20 season pass, then yes. The strategy was to get the game out there at a cheaper price point and then people could pick and choose who they wanted from the DLC. The game's promotion and PR as a whole didn't do this any favors; this could've been presented far better than it has been.

12 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Seemingly in response to all the negative reactions surrounding only half of RWBY's title in the base game, Blake and Yang will now be released for free.

I don't think this development is going to redeem the game for not making decisions like that a long time ago, but it's definitely going to help the situation. I can't say how other people will react, but I know I'm putting this game back on my radar. However I'll still most likely put it on the backlog of game I want to get in favor of other stuff like Soulcaliber 6. 

4 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Oh look the first DLC characters, woo.

These characters are will apparently be included in the first print edition.

The stream also confirmed a digital deluxe addition that includes the season pass (which is confirmed at 2400 yen, with individual packs at 600 yen) for 7800 yen. Which is the MSRP for FighterZ over there.

So it's really looking like $40 base game, $25 season pass or $5 for 3 characters with the option to get everything at $60.

Official dub confirmation definitely has me interested; it was one of the first concessions people had made with the game. However, pricing ended up being a bit more than I expected.

...I've got Prime, which brings the base game down to $40.

F*ck it.

While it's a bit above normal retail price, I'll be picking this up. I'm not bothered by several characters being DLC when the total cost is only $10 dollars more than the $60 standard of console games and all things considered, paying $20 dollars up front for 18 characters when other fighting games charge the same price for their season pass with less than half of the amount of characters doesn't sound like a bad thing. Though I do think some of the backlash Arc System Works received was fair; announcing DLC plans without presenting clear prices wasn't a smart decision on their part, but I can't say I'm terribly disappointed the final result even if the ride getting here was a bit bumpy.

Above all, I love Arc System Works and their fighting games; I'll gladly support the company.

46 minutes ago, Chconroy said:

While it's a bit above normal retail price, I'll be picking this up. I'm not bothered by several characters being DLC when the total cost is only $10 dollars more than the $60 standard of console games and all things considered, paying $20 dollars up front for 18 characters when other fighting games charge the same price for their season pass with less than half of the amount of characters doesn't sound like a bad thing. Though I do think some of the backlash Arc System Works received was fair; announcing DLC plans without presenting clear prices wasn't a smart decision on their part, but I can't say I'm terribly disappointed the final result even if the ride getting here was a bit bumpy.

Above all, I love Arc System Works and their fighting games; I'll gladly support the company.

It could have been much much worse yeah.

To be fair, if they were a little more clever with the marketing, the reaction wouldn’t be so bad, especially with Blake and Yang being DLC. If they did something like announcing 4/5 characters from each franchise before announcing C reaction wouldn’t be so bad. And I’m very suprised they still haven’t announced Tsubaki and Hakumen.

15 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Orie and Kanji, both expected, but fun picks. Especially Kanji he's so exciting to play~

Also I just rescued Kanji in P4 yesterday, lol

I just love how Kanji is walking into a fight against a girl with a scythe that's also a sniper rifle with a folding chair as his main weapon.

Orie reminds me of a Melty Blood character, but I can't remember who.

On 2/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, Chconroy said:

I just love how Kanji is walking into a fight against a girl with a scythe that's also a sniper rifle with a folding chair as his main weapon.

Orie reminds me of a Melty Blood character, but I can't remember who.

He has so much MAN that he doesn't need to bother. Just something to smack em is plenty.

Could it be Akiha Tohno, with the headband and all?