Would you like to see an older character as the protagonist?

On 7/18/2017 at 11:58 AM, Anacybele said:

That's not my point. Every lord except Sigurd and RD Ike is a teenager or looks like one. I want more Sigurds and RD Ikes in this sense. We'd get a better variety of lord character designs this way.

Regardless, your opinion on wanting visually-older lords does not mean Micaiah does not count as an older lord, at least in terms of expectations of her mentality.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far we can even consider Micaiah a protagonist is also pretty up in the air. I mean Radiant Dawn is very non traditional in how its lords are presented. Micaiah is only around for half the game and even then she's superseded by Ike (and Yune) when both are around at the same time. If you want to get really technical about it, Tibran leads the Hawk army in Part 4 so he's the oldest lord we've ever had. And given he's a laguz he's probably like eighty or a hundred and something. Visually he looks to be like late thirties/early forties anyway (albeit a well toned forty year old). Then again this is Japan so perhaps he's meant to look like he's 26 XD

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Regardless, your opinion on wanting visually-older lords does not mean Micaiah does not count as an older lord, at least in terms of expectations of her mentality.

I never said it didn't?

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I never said it didn't?

On 7/17/2017 at 8:24 PM, Anacybele said:

Micaiah is technically the oldest, but she still looks like a teenager, so she kinda doesn't count. I'd like a lord in their 20s that actually looks to be in their 20s. We have enough teenager lords and teenager-looking lords.

You did say it. And I disagree; appearance should not allow one to not count as a grown-up lord. She counts more than "kinda".

23 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

You did say it. And I disagree; appearance should not allow one to not count as a grown-up lord. She counts more than "kinda".

I mean that she still counts as an older lord. She doesn't count as the kind I'm looking for more of.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

I mean that she still counts as an older lord. She doesn't count as the kind I'm looking for more of though.

Yeah, you probably shouldn't have ended it at just "she kinda doesn't count" and should have added "for me". Your wording gave a different impression than you intended.

6 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Yeah, you probably shouldn't have ended it at just "she kinda doesn't count" and should have added "for me". Your wording gave a different impression than you intended.

Well, I still said "kinda" rather than "doesn't count period."

This is something I'd quite like to see. I'd like to see a main character, maybe in their 30s or so, that already has seen a few battles and has some experience in commanding an army. This could set up some cool rivalries - maybe someone that has already battled against the MC or worked with each other in some way.

I'd love an older protagonist and I mean much older, someone who is either a king or queen and more wiser to the politics and world they live in. There's vast opportunities for story telling and even from a gameplay perspective to really change things up. I feel like Fates really wanted to have that actions = consequences type story but didn't have the characters/world or whatever to really see it through in a satisfying way. That could be switched around with a cast of b/older character who know that you can't "knock everyone out in a village using swords, magic and pointy arrows to show them the meaning of peace."  But it is a Japanese series, and those story-writers do love a good coming of age story. I mean how else could we have the "boo-hoo-parent(s)-dead-into-naive-but-determined-youth-shows-sad-world-happiness" plot line?

Edited by Niallghas

It wouldn't be a bad idea. Sigurd and Hector are older lords and they're a couple of the most beloved lords in the franchise. In general, I think they tend to go with younger to show the theme of gaining maturity. But I wouldn't mind a different inner character arc.

2 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

It wouldn't be a bad idea. Sigurd and Hector are older lords and they're a couple of the most beloved lords in the franchise. In general, I think they tend to go with younger to show the theme of gaining maturity. But I wouldn't mind a different inner character arc.

Hector's about in his late 10s, based off a support conversation with Eliwood where they were apparently kids 10 years before Blazing Blade. Lilina also says in Heroes that she'd be able to meet her father when he was around her age.

Yup, Hector looks too grown up for his age. :P

20 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Hector's about in his late 10s, based off a support conversation with Eliwood where they were apparently kids 10 years before Blazing Blade. Lilina also says in Heroes that she'd be able to meet her father when he was around her age.

Yup, Hector looks too grown up for his age. :P

Wait what? He looks so grown though.

Well, being like Hector is never a bad thing. So maybe I should change my point- Everyone loves Sigurd, so being relatable isn't a big deal. If he's gonna be a young'un. Make him a badass like Hector.

17 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Wait what? He looks so grown though.

Well, being like Hector is never a bad thing. So maybe I should change my point- Everyone loves Sigurd, so being relatable isn't a big deal. If he's gonna be a young'un. Make him a badass like Hector.

Does he though? I wouldn't peg Hector as being any older than 20 in his main portrait in Blazing Blade.

On 2017-07-22 at 8:32 AM, Dandy Druid said:

It wouldn't be a bad idea. Sigurd and Hector are older lords and they're a couple of the most beloved lords in the franchise.

Do you mean in Binding Blade, where he is unplayable? Because in Blazing Blade, he and Eliwood are both 17. Micaiah (27?) and Sigurd (mid-twenties) are the oldest lords, followed by post timeskip Chrom at 21.

Sure, though I wouldnt go older than 40 though, since 50 or older is when age starts to become a detriment, at least for Medieval days.

I think this idea would work especially well if it was a sequel. So for example, we have the typical Fire Emblem game with a lord in their mid 20s, and by the end of it they become king. Then we get a sequel some time in the future where we get them again as a main lord, and they are around their late 30s to early 40s. That would be a fun concept imo.

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

Does he though? I wouldn't peg Hector as being any older than 20 in his main portrait in Blazing Blade.

Compared to other lords, he looks older IMO. But that could be because I'm associating his bulkiness with age, since most of the bulkier guys in this franchise tend to be older. i.e. Hawkeye, Ogma, Benny, Frederick, etc.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

Do you mean in Binding Blade, where he is unplayable? Because in Blazing Blade, he and Eliwood are both 17. Micaiah (27?) and Sigurd (mid-twenties) are the oldest lords, followed by post timeskip Chrom at 21.

I originally meant Blazing, and @NoirCore corrected me.

I intentionally left out Micaiah partly because I forgot about her. Thinking about it, she has mixed reviews. She isn't as loved as Sigurd, so we're 50/50 on older lords being loved. My point is now moot. 

Be pretty hilarious and awesome at the same time if they make a protagonist also be a Jagen. It would probably have to involve a time-skip since forcing players to bring in a gimped unit for the entirety of the game would suck and having them be a really good Oifey would also not be great when you'd have a powerful unit who starts out powerful.

Anyway, I'm thinking of something like Marcus from Blazing Sword to Binding Blade. So, young or middle-aged in first half of the game and middle-aged to old in the second half. Gameplay-wise, probably decent in the first half, but returns with the exact same stats before the time-skip, but with lowered growth rates or they're forced to promote and they only have 5 levels left before capping. Story-wise, it could be a lord finishing off a bloody war only for another war or something more happening 10 to 30 years after. At this point, they're old, they're battered, but they're still going to fight or at least try to in some way.

Might need a second lord appearing in the second half to be involved for this since there could be a problem like this lord going down in history as the absolute worst as a unit. Hmm, instead of the second lord being their child, maybe they could be from an enemy faction who is forced into a bitter alliance.

The hilarity is that because the developers would probably not spoil anything about the lord getting older or rather, weaker, it'll end up like, "Hey, remember that badass we marketed to you guys? Yeah, they become the worst unit in your army. Have fun! :p"

Edited by Kaden

1 hour ago, Kaden said:

Be pretty hilarious and awesome at the same time if they make a protagonist also be a Jagen. It would probably have to involve a time-skip since forcing players to bring in a gimped unit for the entirety of the game would suck and having them be a really good Oifey would also not be great when you'd have a powerful unit who starts out powerful.

Anyway, I'm thinking of something like Marcus from Blazing Sword to Binding Blade. So, young or middle-aged in first half of the game and middle-aged to old in the second half. Gameplay-wise, probably decent in the first half, but returns with the exact same stats before the time-skip, but with lowered growth rates or they're forced to promote and they only have 5 levels left before capping. Story-wise, it could be a lord finishing off a bloody war only for another war or something more happening 10 to 30 years after. At this point, they're old, they're battered, but they're still going to fight or at least try to in some way.

Might need a second lord appearing in the second half to be involved for this since there could be a problem like this lord going down in history as the absolute worst as a unit. Hmm, instead of the second lord being their child, maybe they could be from an enemy faction who is forced into a bitter alliance.

The hilarity is that because the developers would probably not spoil anything about the lord getting older or rather, weaker, it'll end up like, "Hey, remember that badass we marketed to you guys? Yeah, they become the worst unit in your army. Have fun! :p"

Haha. What if they had negative growth rates? Like there was a chance they could go down in a stat with each level up post promotion. Not sure how you could encourage the player to still use them but it would accurately portray advanced age (even if it would suck for gameplay).

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Haha. What if they had negative growth rates? Like there was a chance they could go down in a stat with each level up post promotion. Not sure how you could encourage the player to still use them but it would accurately portray advanced age (even if it would suck for gameplay).

Or they show them promoting where all their stats drop by 5 or something. Look, I grew older! And weaker... *wheezes*

Cue the enemy units showing up looking stronger and healthier than ever. :p

Edited by Kaden

• 1 month later...

I think it would be interesting, it would give a new outlook on the series. Maybe the lord could start out young, and then there's a time skip when they're older... something like that.

expanding on the post above, i would like to see an old lord who isn't really a lord.

lives pleasant peasant days on the farm, fought for lords they don't care for, and carries scars from wars past they'd not remember

a "time to shake the rust off my sword" story

• 2 weeks later...

I think having an older character as a protagonist would be cool. Controling someone with more wisdom and experience would be a nice change of pace. Hell, one of my characters is just that, a 25 year old man going to war. I have nothing against the teenage protagonists we have now, but having someone older take charge for a change would be nice. The only cases of this I can of in the series are Chrom (post timeskip) and Sigurd.

Yeah, definetly. Personally want to see Roy in another game, but unless Nintendo remakes Binding Blade at the same time, I doubt this will happen.

I think Chrom and the rest of the Awakening cast could star in another game. Personally felt that there was a lot of missed development, and a sequel could allow for much more diversified map objectives. With how the story was presented, however, I think its unlikely that awakening will get a sequel.