Would you like to see an older character as the protagonist?

52 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

I think having an older character as a protagonist would be cool. Controling someone with more wisdom and experience would be a nice change of pace. Hell, one of my characters is just that, a 25 year old man going to war. I have nothing against the teenage protagonists we have now, but having someone older take charge for a change would be nice. The only cases of this I can of in the series are Chrom (post timeskip) and Sigurd.

Makes me feel old, and slightly jaded with media, to hear people talking about how 25 is an older character.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Makes me feel old, and slightly jaded with media, to hear people talking about how 25 is an older character.

To be fair, the reason people are saying 25 is an older character is because, of all the Fire Emblem protagonists, only Sigurd was around that age (Micaiah doesn't count because she physically is around 16). Most of them are 16-17; the only other ones in their twenties are Ike in RD (exactly 20), and Chrom in the second part of Awakening (21 I think). 

21 hours ago, Vespinae said:

Jagen spinoff pls

I'd buy it.

On 9/2/2017 at 4:43 PM, buttmuncher.ops said:

expanding on the post above, i would like to see an old lord who isn't really a lord.

lives pleasant peasant days on the farm, fought for lords they don't care for, and carries scars from wars past they'd not remember

a "time to shake the rust off my sword" story

I never even thought of that. That'd definitely make for an interesting game/story.

Anyways, glad to see people are still taking interest in this idea, haha. It does make me excited to see what the new FE will have in store for us. Fingers crossed that it'll be good!

16 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

To be fair, the reason people are saying 25 is an older character is because, of all the Fire Emblem protagonists, only Sigurd was around that age (Micaiah doesn't count because she physically is around 16). Most of them are 16-17; the only other ones in their twenties are Ike in RD (exactly 20), and Chrom in the second part of Awakening (21 I think). 

More Japanese media as a whole than just Fire Emblem.

On 17/07/2017 at 3:42 PM, Res said:

I'm not sure of FE demographics but as a general rule, as 80s and 90s kids grow older, the average age of a gamer is getting older. It probably depends on what communities you hang out on - I'm mostly surrounded by FE fans in their late 20s and 30s in other groups.

I'd like an older protagonist, wouldn't have to be too much older, but a non-teen would be nice.

I suggest the new main lord to be on his 18s or 20s then, since then they'd be old but not old enough to be considered a "mature" adult, and young but not young enough to be considered a teen.

18s is good because it counts as a coming of age, where both the teen and adult demographics can correlate with. The character is technically an adult, but is still learning how to deal with his responsibilities (as a teen in an adult's shoes would), which is something that even older adults struggle with.

Edited by Rapier

I think the oldest we have are Sigurd(early to late 20s) and Hardin(28-30) who acted as co-lord in the Satellaview's second Episode. Oh and Tibarn, who is 30(Laguz years), was a temporary lord in a map of Radiant Dawn.

I agree with the topic, though perhaps they could test the waters by having the older protagonists be a choice of two lords? Its not my first pick to be clear, but in case IS is worried. 

Edited by Emperor Hardin

17 hours ago, Rapier said:

I suggest the new main lord to be on his 18s or 20s then, since then they'd be old but not old enough to be considered a "mature" adult, and young but not young enough to be considered a teen.

My original thought was that they would be older than that seeing as we already have existing lords around those ages in the series. I feel like if they were at least 25+ (around there) then that would give different and more story options to work with.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:08 AM, Jotari said:

Ah, I apologize if you feel that way. Although when I say "older" I more mean older than what we currently have in stock. Don't worry, 25 is plenty young, haha.

16 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I agree with the topic, though perhaps they could test the waters by having the older protagonists be a choice of two lords? Its not my first pick to be clear, but in case IS is worried.

I assume you mean you'd choose to play as either an older or a younger lord? Either way that could be a good idea.

I wouldn't mind an older protagonist. But I would think it would be somewhat odd if they start the game at lvl. 1.

There are ways that it could be explained, though. One way I can think of off the top of my head is that the protagonist was never formally trained in combat before being thrust into a leadership role abruptly, or it could be that they were trained in a more support-oriented role. If either were to be the case, I would want characters to show skepticism, annoyance or anger towards the protagonist and their ability to lead.

I also demand this protagonist have an eye-patch, a beard and a steed of some kind. Preferably a wyvern or a black horse.

29 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

I just think it would be odd.

I can't name too many games outside of Pokemon where the first playable characters don't start at lvl. 1.

They could just be an aged warrior just coming back onto the field. Rusty, but powerful. He would be a little bit of a Jager, but not enough to where he's completely useless by endgame. 

Edited by ElectiveToast

7 hours ago, SuperIb said:

I assume you mean you'd choose to play as either an older or a younger lord? Either way that could be a good idea.

Yeah, I mean a dual lords situation like in Sacred Stones, neither would overshadow the other.

So on a similar subject, anyone want more old ladies? Niime was pretty cool.

7 hours ago, SuperIb said:

Ah, I apologize if you feel that way. Although when I say "older" I more mean older than what we currently have in stock. Don't worry, 25 is plenty young, haha.

While Fire Emblem protagonists are almost always in their teens, unlike some JRPG, they don't treat people in their 20s and 30s as old, which is nice as thats a very silly JRPG cliche. The closest example I can think of that is some lines from Gregor in Awakening.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

4 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

Didn't one of SoV mercenaries (Kamil maybe?)  found own country? That would make him  Lord and ideal  older protagonist. 

Yeah, I believe Jesse founds his own mercenary country. Not sure how he would work as a Lord though.

I forget if I or someone mentioned this already, but a female woman protagonist similar in looks/personality to the likes of Cecilia or Titania would be cool. An experienced grown woman being the main hero sounds pretty rad.

On 9/14/2017 at 7:44 PM, saisymbolic said:

But I would think it would be somewhat odd if they start the game at lvl. 1.

I mean, to be fair they've had plenty older characters start in base-classes at low levels before, but I get what you mean lol.

On 9/14/2017 at 7:44 PM, saisymbolic said:

I also demand this protagonist have an eye-patch, a beard and a steed of some kind. Preferably a wyvern or a black horse.

Hmmmm, what KIND of beard? Also if the lord is female will they still have said beard? ;O

14 hours ago, SuperIb said:

Hmmmm, what KIND of beard? Also if the lord is female will they still have said beard? ;O

An awesome beard.

I mean

I mean

Anyone should be allowed to have awesome beards. It's a mark of being badass and awesomeness.

7 hours ago, Gaia093 said:

It's not gonna happen, but yeah, I'd probably love that.

Awww, that's pessimistic. I wouldn't exactly discount the idea ever happening by any means. :p

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Who knows? Maybe the FE game for the Switch will star an older protagonist. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS.

• 3 weeks later...

Age is less an issue to me than maturity. I would like the lord of the next game to be someone like Xander, serious, mature, with the weight of leadership on his shoulders rather than yet again having another newbie lord. Heck, I'll take Ephiram the genius one man army over yet another Roy.

On 10/14/2017 at 6:35 AM, wissenschaft said:

Age is less an issue to me than maturity. I would like the lord of the next game to be someone like Xander, serious, mature, with the weight of leadership on his shoulders rather than yet again having another newbie lord. Heck, I'll take Ephiram the genius one man army over yet another Roy.

Aside from his age, what was immature about Roy? Always seemed very respectful and wise beyond his years to me. Even the harsh reality vs his naive ideals is something he's fully aware of.