English Half-Card Proxies

AsheoftheEmblem

Introduction

Hello All!

I have undertaken a project to create half-card English proxies for each set of Fire Emblem Cipher.  The purpose behind the project is to increase the accessibility for newcomers into the game.  It is recommended to double-sleeve all cards using the proxies:  sleeving the card in a perfect fit sleeve, and then the proxy and card into a sleeve with a non-transparent back (like KMC Matte Sleeves).

Early 'Proof of Concept' Photos

EDIT:  Summary on recent work.

The following changes are included in the second run:

• Characters with more than 2 skills will now have their absent skills included.
  • Characters with more than 1 support skill will now have their absent skills included.
  • To reduce the quantity of ink, actual card backgrounds were substituted for the solid black background.
  • Skills are now surround by their own background (similar to the cipher cards).
  • To save space, the bottom half off the proxy was condensed.
  • Skills with leading icons now have the icons present.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Starter Decks

Starter Deck 1 - War of Darkness

Starter Deck 2 - Awakening

Starter Deck 3 - White Night

• Full PDF (unavailable)
  • Singles (complete set, rev. 2)

Starter Deck 4 - Black Night

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Starter Deck 5 - Path of Radiance

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Starter Deck 6 - Illusory Revelations

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Starter Deck 7 - Binding Blade

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Starter Deck 8 - Genealogy of the Holy War

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Starter Deck 9 - Land of the Gods

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Booster Sets

Booster Set 1: Warblade of Heroes

• Full PDF (unavailable)
  • Singles (complete set, rev. 2)

Booster Set 2: Soulful Flames of Light and Dark

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Booster Set 3: Twin Swords of Hope

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Booster Set 4: Illusory Revelations

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Booster Set 5: Overcoming Rivalry

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Booster Set 6: Storm of the Knights' Shadows

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Booster Set 7: Rise to Honor

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Booster Set 8: Life and Death: Beyond Fate

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Booster Set 9: Thunderous Earth

• Full PDF (unavailable)

Help Contribute

Any feedback regarding the proxies is welcome!  If you would like to collaborate, feel free to PM me.

Known Issues

• Some text bleeds into the lower half of the proxy.
  • Quotes may not be visible or readable on some proxies.

Current Phase

Revision:  Complete

2nd Complete Set:  Complete

Refactor:  Underway

2nd Revision:  Incomplete

3rd Complete Set:  Incomplete

Online PDF Builder:  Incomplete

Edited by AsheoftheEmblem

7 minutes ago, colorninja said:

This is a great effort and I'm glad you're working on it! Any reason you're making them in such a low resolution, though? 

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree, the low resolution may be problem.  The 'Bond' icon, especially, is difficult to decipher (between 1, 2, or 3).  Once I finish the first booster set (by tomorrow), I'll look at revising my methodology to allow for a higher resolution (and update my current sets accordingly).

I was considering making a redux for the translation of the cipher cards once all 4 currently canon Japan games (4, 5, 6, and 12) were all redone to have improved consistency with english localizations and whenever the Hasha manga also got updated (An example; "Marth: Prince of the Alliance" should ACTUALLY be "Marth: Prince of the League" since the Archanea Alliance was localized as the Archanean League, but that's just the top of my head example)

In the meanwhile, this is most definitely a good effort for the current translation work and I am very excited to see it happening while the games and hasha get sorted out (currently focusing on contributing to the FE12 fan translation). Keep up the good work, and hopefully someday soon I'll be able to put in some effort of my own 

16 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

I was considering making a redux for the translation of the cipher cards once all 4 currently canon Japan games (4, 5, 6, and 12) were all redone to have improved consistency with english localizations and whenever the Hasha manga also got updated (An example; "Marth: Prince of the Alliance" should ACTUALLY be "Marth: Prince of the League" since the Archanea Alliance was localized as the Archanean League, but that's just the top of my head example)

In the meanwhile, this is most definitely a good effort for the current translation work and I am very excited to see it happening while the games and hasha get sorted out (currently focusing on contributing to the FE12 fan translation). Keep up the good work, and hopefully someday soon I'll be able to put in some effort of my own 

Thank you!  I am hoping to have the first run of all sets done by the end of the month.  Or at least, over 50% of them.

If you do happen to update certain translations, please let me know.  I'll update the proxies accordingly.

Edited by AsheoftheEmblem

I'm excitedly following your progress! I'm not sure the card image backgrounds are doing much for you and I think the reworked configuration at the bottom may be sacrificing some of the legibility, especially from across the table, that the first run had, especially without a color indicator. Saving ink is a real thing, though, so keeping black text on white at the top does probably make sense.

You're making progress on getting all the information on there! Quotes... probably are ambitious, given their length and how much space you need to get the same rules text in English.

On 7/29/2017 at 5:27 PM, colorninja said:

I'm excitedly following your progress! I'm not sure the card image backgrounds are doing much for you and I think the reworked configuration at the bottom may be sacrificing some of the legibility, especially from across the table, that the first run had, especially without a color indicator. Saving ink is a real thing, though, so keeping black text on white at the top does probably make sense.

You're making progress on getting all the information on there! Quotes... probably are ambitious, given their length and how much space you need to get the same rules text in English.

Thanks again for feedback!   It is very helpful.

I have received similar comments regarding the bottom portion of the proxy; it would benefit players to have some sort of color contrast.  

I am currently working on a design that is similar in style to the cipher cards, while providing the real estate needed for text.  Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished an initial check for Booster Box 5. Only found a few errors:

Missing - Sophia, Prophet of the Hidden Village
Labeled as PR05-008PR on the wiki

Extra - Caeda, Mystical Pegasus Knight
Labeled incorrectly on the wiki as B05-006HN, when it should be B04-006HN

Incorrect - Lilina, Lady of Ostia
Her first support skill has the name and support type of her second support skill, while her second support skill itself is missing entirely.

Incorrect - Roy, Young Lord of Pherae
Same as Lilina.

Other than that, the set is really nice. Thanks again for all your hard work! I'll try to let you know should I find anything else. Good luck.

Edited by CipheringEmblems

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...