Fire Emblem Thracia 776 0% growths warpless low turn count playthrough

sine nomine

I did another 0% growths warpless low turn count playthrough of FE5. The tactics are much improved from my previous run and it should be much easier to watch due to less wasted time.

"0% growths" means I play on a ROM edited so characters do not gain stats on level-up (both character and scroll growths set to zero). I like playing 0% growths because it eliminates the randomness that growths cause and improves the game's balance by reducing player strength relative to the enemy; in a normal run, I find that characters become too powerful and diminish the need for tactical maneuvers. Also, movement stars are also not used when they activate.

By "warpless" I mean that I do not use the warp staff (rescue staves and the self-targeting rewarp staff are permitted). I've done runs with the warp staff before and they're plenty of fun, but this warpless route involves a lot of varied and interesting tactics in chapters that the warp staff would trivialize.

"Low turn count" means that I aim to complete chapters as quickly as possible. In Fire Emblem games, there are often boring and time-consuming tactics than lead to victory with little effort, but it is far more fun and entertaining to use complex tactics that lead to a faster completion. Furthermore, the game ranks you based upon the number of turns you take, so a lower turncount can be considered a better result. However, in some cases I will sacrifice speed for reliability. This is a segmented run but in the future I hope to complete a SS rank warpless ironman run; I think it is more fun to consider contingency plans and adapt tactics during a playthrough than it is to map out a singular path through the game and reset until the RNG rolls in your favour.

My idea of a good tactic is as follows: if all goes well a very low turncount will be achieved, if some things go wrong a fairly low turncount will still be achieved, and in the case of extreme bad luck several turns may be lost but a game over would be avoided. However there are several chapters in this playthrough where this ideal is not achieved. One day I will improve upon this run so please suggest any improvements that come to mind.

I do not attempt to recruit all characters in this playthrough.

This run is played on normal mode (without increased exp gain), so EXP distribution must be considered. This does not affect turncounts.

There are several chapters for which I don't have a really good plan and I could really use some suggestions. I probably won't redo this anytime soon but someday I will.

Here is the youtube playlist:

Turncounts:

Chapter 1: 4 turns

Chapter 2: 4 turns

Chapter 2x: 8 turns

Chapter 3: 5 turns

Chapter 4: 11 turns

Chapter 5: 18 turns

Chapter 6: 7 turns

Chapter 7: 7 turns

Chapter 8: 4 turns

Chapter 9: 3 turns

Chapter 10: 12 turns

Chapter 11: 6 turns

Chapter 12: 6 turns

Chapter 12x: 10 turns

Chapter 13: 5 turns

Chapter 14: 10 turns

Chapter 15: 2 turns

Chapter 16b: 4 turns

Chapter 17b: 3 turns

Chapter 18: 6 turns

Chapter 19: 1 turn

Chapter 20: 15 turns

Chapter 21: 5 turns

Chapter 21x: 1 turn

Chapter 22: 3 turns

Chapter 23: 3 turns

Chapter 24: 4 turns

Final Chapter: 4 turns

Total: 171 turns

Edited by sine nomine

3 hours ago, Valkama said:

Was there any reason you needed Shiva? Just kinda skimming through your videos but I remember you can 6 turn chapter 7 if you kill Shiva in 2x.

No, I don't necessarially need to recruit Shiva. However I didn't think my units were strong enough to 6-turn chapter 7 so I opted for a 7-turn tactic and picked up Shiva as a bonus. I didn't think of killing Shiva in chapter 2x, that would certainly make a 6-turn more feasible but I'll have to look into it some more because I don't want to risk death if I can help it.

2 hours ago, Valkama said:

Killing Shiva causes the entire Merc Army to disappear so there is no combat to be had at all. Makes the map kinda boring admittedly since all you do is run to the exit.

Oh. That's lame, but also useful. I think I can work around losing Shiva and his killing edge without losing turns elsewhere, so I'll work this into future playthroughs. Thanks!

• 4 years later...