First preview of Bond Conversations

VincentASM

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

Tiki did say he was more like Anri than Marth, so I guess it fits. But, wow, that Chrom smirk.

Didn't she say that he was more like an ancestor 1000 years before Marth (possibly hinting at Sigurd)?

Edited by Sartek

Here's a rough translation (the official one will probably be better, I'm not very good at putting these sentences into English):

Chrom: You really helped out earlier. When it comes to fighting no matter how hard I try not to, I always end up rushing ahead. On the other hand, you are always looking out for your comrades.

Marth: I just can't let the people I fight with end up as victims. You for sure are always heroic on the battlefield aren't you. You are just like the founder of Altea, King Anri. 

Chrom: King Anri...?

Edited by Torii

19 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

So they know about Marth but not about Anri?

I feel like it's a situation of 'King Anri? That guy? I'm like him?'

But I guess we'll have to wait 'til the full convo is released.

I was going to say, that's extremely short. I seriously hope there's more to that conversation.

It's odd to hear a character's voice and not see their lips move though. I really wish they would move their lips. That kind of bugs me that they don't.

As for not knowing about Anri, that could've been information lost to history. Remember, there's a LOT of time between Chrom and Marth's times alone. And this is a medieval based game, where documentation isn't as advanced or thorough as ours.

Edited by Anacybele

33 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

As for not knowing about Anri, that could've been information lost to history. Remember, there's a LOT of time between Chrom and Marth's times alone. And this is a medieval based game, where documentation isn't as advanced or thorough as ours.

I was thinking that if they had information about Marth, they would have about Anri too, as he was who originally defeated Medeus, but yes, seeing how little Lucina knew about Marth it's possible that their knowledge about him comes from oral tradition and legends more than documents, so it makes sense that everyone remembers the one who really killed Medeus.

That, or possibly I'm thinking too hard about it.

9 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

I was thinking that if they had information about Marth, they would have about Anri too, as he was who originally defeated Medeus, but yes, seeing how little Lucina knew about Marth it's possible that their knowledge about him comes from oral tradition and legends more than documents, so it makes sense that everyone remembers the one who really killed Medeus.

Yeah, Lucina definitely did not have an accurate depiction of Marth in her head, so there definitely may not be many, if any, documents on Marth. I imagine some books mention him, but they wouldn't be official documentation or anything, just stories based on legend.

I've started translating a little of the dialogue (using Google Translate and an online Japanese keyboard. I'm trying to learn some Japanese myself too, so this is practice). And so far it's looking like what Torii came up with (not the exact wording, but I'm not finished yet), so I'd say that one is accurate so far.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, Lucina definitely did not have an accurate depiction of Marth in her head, so there definitely may not be many, if any, documents on Marth. I imagine some books mention him, but they wouldn't be official documentation or anything, just stories based on legend.

I've started translating a little of the dialogue (using Google Translate and a Japanese keyboard. I'm trying to learn some Japanese myself too, so this is practice). And so far it's looking like what Torii came up with (not the exact wording, but I'm not finished yet), so I'd say that one is accurate so far.

From the conversation it sounded like Chrom had no idea who Anri was, but that could very well just be my take on it. 

As for translating, yeah Google Translate might help a bit, maybe it will make it sound more natural. I lived in Japan for middle school when my dad got transferred for work so I understand most of what people say, it's just so hard for me to put it into English if that makes sense haha.

Just now, Torii said:

From the conversation it sounded like Chrom had no idea who Anri was, but that could very well just be my take on it. 

As for translating, yeah Google Translate might help a bit, maybe it will make it sound more natural. I lived in Japan for middle school when my dad got transferred for work so I understand most of what people say, it's just so hard for me to put it into English if that makes sense haha.

I learned some French, but I can only understand other languages I learn in writing. xP I can't understand other people speaking to save my life. They speak too fast for me to figure out what they're saying!

Google Translate isn't the best, actually, but it's all I got. I've put some Japanese text in there before (from copying and pasting) and it ended up looking wonky. I could still get the gist of what it meant, but it looked jumbled up. lol Still, it helps enough.

But man, if some of this came in French, I'd be able to translate much faster. :P Even some words I know I didn't learn in school, I could figure out, maybe because I got used to how French generally is.

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I thought he lived a good while before Marth. Like he was Marth's Marth.

Anri is only ~110 years before Marth.

Edited by Sartek

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Anyone else think it'd be cool if Anri was actually playable as DLC?

Heroes of yore in video games exist for no reason other than to build things up for the present day and giving a bit of world building. Showing them off is always the exception.

Not to mention Anri used the Falchion and also had blue hair- do we need another one of them? I'd rather they make him a "costume" thrown over Marth's gameplay "skeleton" the way Alph is on Olimar in Smash 4.

...Yeah, see, what I got of Chrom's first line after finishing it didn't make much sense. xP

"The extent was aided. I certainly have to fight as long as I am a fight.
In exchange, Mars always keeps track of his friends.
"

I think the only things that are honestly accurate here are the mention of fighting and Marth's name of Mars. I've always known that Mars = Marth.

There WAS one symbol I had a lot of trouble finding on the Japanese keyboard I was using and I'm still not sure if I got the right one, but besides that, I know I got the correct ones. It also doesn't help that the keyboard listed many of the same symbols several times with different western letter equivalents. So that probably threw things off too.

So thanks, Google Translate, you're a BIG help... >.>

But what I have learned now is which symbols are kanji, which are katakana, and which are hiragana. I can pretty much tell which is which at this point. I've also noticed that character names are just about always written in katakana. Probably because many are not actually Japanese names and are more foreign, which is what katakana is for.

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, Sbuscoz said:

I'd see why future generations would prefer to focus on Marth. Sure, Anri beat Medeus but then went to rule his tiny island kingdom and died. Marth beat Medeus twice and then went on to rule the continent. Perhaps that just caused Marth to completely eclipse his ancestor. 

59 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Heroes of yore in video games exist for no reason other than to build things up for the present day and giving a bit of world building. Showing them off is always the exception.

Not to mention Anri used the Falchion and also had blue hair- do we need another one of them? I'd rather they make him a "costume" thrown over Marth's gameplay "skeleton" the way Alph is on Olimar in Smash 4.

Well, I kind of want a game starring him so I at least want him to make some sort of appearance in either this or Heroes. 

As for the Falchion, that's why he'd probably need to be DLC.

It's not particularly ridiculous that a distant descendant might be familiar with Marth but not Anri.

Like, I imagine most people today are familiar with Alexander the Great, but I doubt a whole lot of people are familiar with his father Philip II in comparison. Philip's accomplishments are actually pretty impressive as well, but his son just outshines him so much that even they largely end up as a footnote. Or as backstory, if you will.

47 minutes ago, Iridium said:

It's not particularly ridiculous that a distant descendant might be familiar with Marth but not Anri.

Like, I imagine most people today are familiar with Alexander the Great, but I doubt a whole lot of people are familiar with his father Philip II in comparison. Philip's accomplishments are actually pretty impressive as well, but his son just outshines him so much that even they largely end up as a footnote. Or as backstory, if you will.

I recall when I took Greek history and actually learned about Philip II I was rather surprised more people didn't talk about him. Dude had the deck stacked against him and he pushed through it. Making the Macedonian Phalanx, and beating Athens alliance etc. 

Speaking of the support itself, its nice to hear Anri referred to.

I do hope Chrom knows who Anri is but was just surprised to hear himself being compared to that guy, or that he has a good reason for not knowing about him. I mean, if he's the founder of Altea, then one would hope he would've at least heard about him, being a descendant and all. 

Anyway, I sort of expected us to get more than that, and I had hoped it'd be more about Chrom being a descendant of Marth. This seems a tad too similar to an "our bonds are awesome!" kind of conversation. Oh well, we shall see.

17 minutes ago, Thane said:

I do hope Chrom knows who Anri is but was just surprised to hear himself being compared to that guy, or that he has a good reason for not knowing about him. I mean, if he's the founder of Altea, then one would hope he would've at least heard about him, being a descendant and all. 

Anyway, I sort of expected us to get more than that, and I had hoped it'd be more about Chrom being a descendant of Marth. This seems a tad too similar to an "our bonds are awesome!" kind of conversation. Oh well, we shall see.

Alternatively, he may just have tanked history.

At least this may make Marth explain who Anri is to introduce him to players who don't know about him.