Let's Talk Amiibo

Ronnie

So at first I did everything in my being to avoid buying Amiibo because the last thing I needed was wasting more money on figures to put on display. To this day I still hold true to that statement since I only have 2 Amiibo so far. Wolf Link which came with my Twilight Princess HD copy and the Ocarina of Time Link which I actively pre-ordered/bought because I LOVE Link's OoT design (plus whenever I get BotW I can get the costume).

Now the only thing I'm really after is Fire Emblem Amiibo because let's face it, it's probably the most cost effective FE figures I'll ever have a chance of owning. I think I'll only stick with Amiibo that actually captivate me rather than buying for the sake of collecting.

Your thoughts and experiences with Amiibo?

I have a whole bunch of them. I'm definitely thinking about selling a few though. There are some in my collection that I don't really want anymore.

I have like 30 of the Smash characters. Including my most beloved ones, Ike and Luigi. <3

I also still have the ones I was super lucky to get my hands on as early as I did. Technically, Ike was one of those. I got an initial preorder, but then it was delayed because my store didn't get enough of him to fill the orders. >.>

Marth I also got very lucky to get because it involved paying close attention to Amazon restocks.

Robin because I just preordered him on Best Buy like it was nothing, only to find out later he sold out extremely fast too and didn't get a restock for ages.

I had to pull some strings to get Mii Swordfighter. Because he only came in a three pack with the other Miis and I didn't want the others. I wasn't going to pay for Amiibo that I didn't at all want. So I got some help with this one (because otherwise I was going to be forced to pay an inflated price)

And lastly, the biggest one, Gold Mario. I was glued to Walmart's website for weeks. Then randomly, holy shit, he went into my cart! Then HOLY SHIT, THE ORDER WENT THROUGH! And later, yay, it wasn't canceled! Gold Mario was the rarest and is still the rarest because he was limited edition and Walmart only. And only fairly recently did I hear that he returned to shelves. But I'm pretty sure it was just in small quantities.

I have a few of the Mario series Amiibo including Luigi, Daisy, Boo, Rosalina, and Toad in addition to Gold and Silver Mario. I also have both 8-bit Marios and the 8-bit Link as well as Toon Link and Toon Zelda (I don't like The Wind Waker, but I do like those guys). And of course, Wolf Link who came with TP HD. Oh yeah, I can't forget two of the BotW Amiibo that I bought with the game and my Switch. I picked horseback Link and Zelda. I decided bow Link would wait until later and I wasn't interested in the others.

And now I've been waiting to get my hands on Skyward Sword Link. He's my favorite Link other than OoT Adult Link who I already have as well. But the problem is, SS Link was apparently Amazon only and sold out before I knew he was even released. -_-

Edited by Anacybele

I got Megaman because…well, honestly just because he's awesome and to try and show Capcom that Megaman still sells well and they should get to work bringing him back to the screen. I also got Zelda, initially because she's pretty but later finding out it wasn't a bad buy thanks to Hyrule Warriors. I got Mewtwo because it was a DLC character as an Amiibo plus Mewtwo is cool.

Now the FE Amiibo.

I pre-ordered Roy because he's Our Boi™, and because I assumed that Nintendo would of course make the logical decision of updating Fates and other FE-Amiibo-supporting games to now support him to get people to buy more of both the Amiibo and Fates. Needless to say, I'm kind of pissed off at them about the fact that my Roy is still just sitting on my shelf gathering dust waiting for a game that actually uses him for something useful. I managed to get Lucina because we happened to go to a Best Buy right when they restocked her, I guess, and I walked over to the Amiibo thinking I'd just look at all the Pikachu and holy (censored), there was a whole rack full of Lucinas plus a couple Pit, though I didn't pick him up. A friend and I split the cost for a pre-order for Alm and Celica, with me taking Celica and him claiming Alm, and they're the only Amiibo I've found worth using in Echoes as Units plus there's the special dungeons, so they're worth the $20ish they want you to drop on the pair.

Basically, none of the Smash Amiibo are really worth it for Smash - the fact that they can keep learning and changing after Level 50 is good, but it also means that if I allow any of my younger cousins to so much as look at them I have to make Megaman relearn how to use Up Special to recover and make Mewtwo relearn shorthops, which is of course super frustrating, then there's the fact that you can never really beat them in a fair-and-square match unless you chose to not give them any equipment whatsoever, which a lot of people I know argue was the whole point of them in the first place. Outside of Smash, though, Amiibo aren't too bad - I can play Mario as a character I actually want to play as instead of that dork thanks to Mario Maker, use Lucina in Fates or Code Name: STEAM, get a bunch of extra items and Rupees in Hyrule Warriors, etc. Waiting on a Pokemon game with Amiibo support still, though, and constantly looking for Marth.

I treat amiibo just like usual gaming merch.  Even though it has some functionality depending on certain games, they're just merch of some of my favorite characters.  I got all of the Smash Bros. Fire Emblem characters and I bought a random Ryu amiibo because why not?

When I was in Japan I saw some Monster Hunter Stories amiibos that I thought about buying, but didn't because I have no idea why considering I had leftover yen.  But all in all, they're just merch to me like almost any other figurine.

I have three! As soon as Amiibo were announced I knew this would be the most inexpensive and easy way to obtain a Mega Man figurine. I got Falco with my copy of Starfox Zero as pre-order bonus. And i got Little Mac as a birthday gift since I'm a big fan of Punch Out. I'm not big on figurines in general, but Amiibo are cheap and look cool together. I never picked any fire emblem figurines, as most of their functionality is in 3DS games, and I lack a NFC reader or New 3DS model. I'd like to pick up Roy sometime though. A lot of my old friends from competitive Smash tend to associate Roy with me after maining him in Melee and Project M, and I love his Smash 4 design.

Edited by Gustavos

I started off not caring much for the amiibo since at the time [2014] I didn't have a Wii U, and the NFC Adapter for 3DS wouldn't be out for another year (which I still think was really stupid to deprive old 3DS users of amiibo support for so long. I bet there's still people that think they have to have a New 3DS just to use amiibo on it). Then I decided it would be nice to have one or two Fire Emblem amiibo just to have some sort of FE merchandise.

I got a Wii U and Smash 4 in summer of 2015 (pretty late, I know, but I don't care) and then I received an Ike amiibo for my birthday. Granted, given the choice among the base roster at the time, I would have preferred Marth. But nonetheless I was overjoyed. Then unexpectedly, I received 5 amiibo for Christmas that year. All common ones though: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Link, and Zelda. Nice to have some common ones alongside my rare Ike. I didn't expect to get any more amiibo--especially Fire Emblem ones--after this, but the following years things started kicking into gear.

[2016] I've been on the lookout for a Roy amiibo since it came out in March. Sadly I had no luck and I didn't get any amiibo until my birthday, when I received a Captain Falcon amiibo as well as an NFC Adapter for 3DS. Awesome. On a sort of unrelated note, that summer I went to an anime convention. Knowing that Fire Emblem had greatly grown in popularity since the last convention I went to, I'd hoped to perhaps find some non-amiibo Fire Emblem merchandise. I got me a Marth nendoroid figurine for $40, plus some Fire Emblem pins. Makes me feel better about not finding a Marth amiibo.

[2017] My Wii U library was, and kind of still is, on the small side. So a few months ago, in the hopes of hitting two birds with one stone and finding a Roy amiibo I went and got a few more games [Super Mario Maker and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE). There were several uncommon amiibo at the Gamestop I went to that day. There was Megaman, Sonic, Ness, 30th Anniverary 8-bit Link, Gold Mario(!), and more. Of course what caught my eye were two Robins, so I got one. It worked out even better because I got Codename: S.T.E.A.M. used for a mere $8! I kid you not. I've gone to Gamestop a few times since then, and the crazy thing is I always see at least one or two Robin amiibo every time I've gone since buying my own. Oh, but of course it gets better. When they revealed the Alm and Celica amiibo in the Fire Emblem direct in January, I was ecstatic. Not only for the amiibo themselves, but also that it was possibly the start of a Fire Emblem line of amiibo, which has since come true. I bought Echoes on launch day, which I rarely ever do for a game and never for a system. I searched a few stores for the Alm and Celica amiibo, but unfortunately Gamestop still had them on preorder-only, and I couldn't find them elsewhere. I did, however, find 4 or so Lucina amiibo at Best Buy (seems to be a trend now), so of course I got one. 3 of 4 FE Smash amiibo ain't half-bad. And then...about a month later my sister says she saw the Alm and Celica figures one day. The next day I check Gamestop online and it said it was in stock at one of our nearest stores. So I went, and asked for them at the front desk since they weren't on the racks. They checked storage in the back, and sure enough they came back with one in hand. Dunno if it was their last one, but whatever, I finally got Alm and Celica! And ironically they're my only non-Smash amiibo. I am definitely getting Chrom and Tiki in the coming months. Still on the lookout for Marth and Roy. Don't care as much about Corrin, but I may pick him/her up when they come out in a few days.

TL;DR-- In order of obtainment I have Ike, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Link, Zelda, Captain Falcon, Robin, Lucina, Alm & Celica, and Male Corrin. Someday I'll find my buds Marth and Roy...

UPDATE: Got Male Corrin yesterday.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

8 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

I am definitely getting Chrom and Tiki in the coming months. Still on the lookout for Marth and Roy. Don't care as much about Corrin, but I may pick him/her up when they come out in a few days.

Thank you for reminding me there's a FE amiibo series. I forgot that little tidbit from the direct! Chrom is as good as mine.

Edited by Ronnie

Unless they make Frederick and Ryoma Amiibo, I don't care about the new FE ones. I don't like Chrom or Tiki (though I do prefer younger Tiki over the adult one). And while don't dislike Alm or Celica, I don't care enough about them to get theirs either.

I'm all about the figurines - it was a dream of mine to collect them ever since the trophies in Melee - especially Roy.

I've got a ton of these things, and right now I'm trying to hunt down a Corrin P2 and a Majora's Mask Link. Curse exclusivity.

I'm sitting on an extra unopened Roy right now, if anyone is interested.

10 hours ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I'm all about the figurines - it was a dream of mine to collect them ever since the trophies in Melee - especially Roy.

I've got a ton of these things, and right now I'm trying to hunt down a Corrin P2 and a Majora's Mask Link. Curse exclusivity.

I'm sitting on an extra unopened Roy right now, if anyone is interested.

Ooooh..... I'll gladly take it. No charge?

25 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Ooooh..... I'll gladly take it. No charge?

If only it was simple, I'm not dying to be rid of him that bad, lol. If I could cover the standard price + shipping, I'd be happy with that. I'm not a reseller and I'm not in the game to scalp anybody.

Good to know. I think I'll have to walk away, though. If I weren't still living with my parents and were more familiar with how to do long-distance transactions, I'd be much more willing. Probably wouldn't be a big deal; I'm an adult, after all. But as much as I want that Roy, I can continue to wait and hope for another restock. I'm sure someone else in this thread will be more willing to buy your extra Roy from you. All the same, I thank you for the offer.

At first I was just going to get the FE guys but I quickly started getting the smash ones.  I've pretty much set up my mind that I'll get the smash amiibo and I'm done I've almost got a complete set any way with a splatoon boy and toad since those were gifts.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the whole Amiibo gimmick. I like collectable figurines/statues so this was right up my alley, and considering the Fire Emblem ones which has so little merchandise in the West, it was perfect. I have grabbed most of them so far, but am missing Marth, Robin, and F!Corrin. I think F!Corrin is going to be a while with the scalpers that took Amazon by storm, I really dont care about Marth enough to own his, and Robin is pretty low on my list as well. If I find him somewhere, I will probably grab him, but not going to go out of my way. Same with Tiki when she releases.

I think they are a really nice gimmick over all. The fact that they are rather well made collectibles with functionality in various Nintendo games was a great idea. I love the fact that I can actually use them, and that they dont just sit there and collect dust most of the time. And the fact that Fates allowed you to actually use the characters was great.

Outside of FE ones, there hasnt been a franchise I really care enough about to buy. I may consider picking up some Zelda ones when I get BoTW, but outside of that. the FE amiibo, and the Cloud Amiibo nothing else has really grabbed my attention.

So far though I own Ike, Lucina, Alm, Celica, and Corrin.

Only amiibo I own is Wolf Link as it came with Twilight Princess HD. I'm not much of a collector for figurines. I will admit I was tempted for some of the Legend of Zelda amiibo in regard to the costumes for BotW, but then I looked at the prices and noped out of there.

I got in on the amiibo train pretty late, I joined with wave 6 I think? Anyways I originally was only going for smash characters I liked/played, then it turned into me wanting to get the entire smash roster (only missing Bowser Junior, Wario, Donkey Kong, Shiek, Little Mac, Villager, Meta Knight, King Dedede, the mii's, Palutena, Rosalina, Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, Both Bayonetta's, and Cloud player 2) then I got Shovel Knight, the 8-bit mario's, all the original splatoon amiibo, all 4 of the Kirby series amiibo, the Mario Party Rosalina, Wolf Link, all 4 of the original Zelda anniversary series, the Bobokoblin, Alm and Celica, and I got Chrom/Tiki pre-ordered. Besides the smash ones, the only ones I'm missing are the new splatoon series, the rest of the breath of the wild series, and the second wave of the zelda anniversary. Plus I still want Gold Mega-Man despite me sucking at his games.

Funny enough my first three amiibo were characters I rarely play in smash, with Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mewtwo being my first three. Then I got a lot of some rare-ish ones due to restocks (Marth, Fox, Shulk, Ike, Captain Falcon, Greninja) So I basically go into gamestops nowadays looking for any pre-owned amiibo that I'm missing, the ones I use the most are of course the fire emblem ones, but I use all of the ones I have when I decide I need rupees in Breath of the Wild (so much food items, then cook them and sell for profit).

I have  the Yoshi's Wooly World Amibo, the 8 bit Mario, and the Mario maker (blue overall) amibo. I'm pretty sour on the concept tbh. My niece seems entertained though. These count as generic amibo's for most games, and I don't really like the negligible effect it has in some of them (Botw and MK come to mind)

I do like the look of yoshi a lot for a figurine, but I mean I would rather have a Folkmanis hand puppet or a Rosie B Simpler  Marionette. Generally don't like toys unless you can make them dance/talk. especially if I'm paying 19 to 39 dollars anyway.

I have a japanese robin, if thats worth anything :/

But I also have all of the FE cast except for Roy and Lucina ( because who needs dumb ol' clones?)

I got the female Kamui/Corrin amiibo from Amazon.  I'll find out if they ship me the right one it was specifically the listing for the Player 2 variant and had pictures of the female one for the normal price straight from Amazon as the seller so I'm hopeful.

6 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

I got the female Kamui/Corrin amiibo from Amazon.  I'll find out if they ship me the right one it was specifically the listing for the Player 2 variant and had pictures of the female one for the normal price straight from Amazon as the seller so I'm hopeful.

Yeah, same here. I couldn't pass it up once I discovered it was free shipping with a free Prime trial.

Mine has yet to ship. Which is funny, because it arrives tomorrow. Even funnier since it's two- day shipping and I ordered it on Friday at one in the morning.

Edit: Wow...now it's telling me it's delayed until Monday...

Double Edit: Corrin was caught in a weird transition, but she arrived Sunday. A friend of mine bought me Majora Link, too!

Edited by Dai