Ideal FE Game/Wishlist Thread

Protato

Hello!  Not sure what to call this thread, what to tag it as, or where to put it, but I was thinking, what would everyone's ideal things in an FE be?  Plot, mechanics, units, remakes, that sort of thing. Guess I'll start by posting some ideas that I know won't happen but that I think are neat.

Gameplay-wise, get rid of Con.  It always bugged a bit that most of my army could Rescue units but other ones couldn't.  I suppose it makes sense for a bigger guy to be able to do grab someone else and all that, but it bothered me gameplay wise.  Breakable weapons should stay, but Prf and S rank weapons shouldn't. Additionally, I'd have Bronze weapons and equivalent Tomes that don't break, but they can't critical, can't double, and are overall weaker than Iron weapons, perhaps by combining the worst elements of both Iron and Slim weapons.  Also, I'd introduce throwing knives or similar for Sword users as a ranged option.

I'd keep the Avatar but they wouldn't be the Lord.  Perhaps they could be a childhood friend and retainer of the Lord?  Appearance should have hair, eyes, body type, voice, and skin tone. Class would be either chosen or would be a unique class called Retainer, a diet Lord of sorts.  Much like a Lord, the Avatar would have a Prf weapon, perhaps something a bit better than Steel weapons, but is otherwise mundane.  In terms of story, the Avatar could be the viewpoint character.  Think of it like Mad Max Fury Road.  Furiosa was the protagonist, and Max was the viewpoint character, at least in my opinion.  I'd want to see something like that.

Grinding could be optional.  Maybe at the start of the game, along with difficulty and Casual/Classic selection, the player could choose whether or not they wished to have the option to grind?  I can see why people dislike it, but for me, it helped my forces have a consistent range of levels, and made it so that no one got left behind.  I really dislike the thought of having useless units but I realize that might just be me.

Class Change, I'd make it so that characters can only promote into a given class, perhaps with a few excpetions.  For example, lets say there are three Cavaliers, the red/green one and a blue one.  RC focuses on Strength and becomes a Great Knight, and only a Great Knight, and GC focuses on Speed and becomes a Paladin.  BC has balanced growths and can go either way.

Supports wouldn't be limited to just, say, five conversations, but players can't support everyone with everyone.  Rather, the Lord and Avatar might have a bunch of supports, but most characters would only have a few support partners.  People would get engaged but not marry until after the war.  Maybe include a few gay options.

Skills could stay largely similar to how they are in Fates.  To me, it helps a unit stand out, and skills like Adept and Astra really hammer home how much a unit's grown, or how strong that new prepromote is.

Plotwise, I'm not too sure what I'd wanna see, but maybe a sequel to FE8 could be done?  It's the only game without a sequel on its continent, that always struck me as a bit odd.  While I'm not sure how I'd do it, the earthquake Lyon tried to stop and the cult Riev implied to exist could be important.  Maybe the cult could become this Black Fang-esque group that gets popular support from people who felt the disaster hurt them and the other nations didn't do enough to help?  I dunno, but in broad strokes I think these ideas could be neat.

And now serenesforest members, what stuff do you wanna see implemented in the next FE game?  Or if you could make one/had input in one what would you do?  

Edited by Protato

Well, I'd be pretty much regurgitating the things I said in the FE: Switch section, but whatever:

• I'd like a game with two protagonists that are fighting over a kingdom, and the player gets to choose between the two of them. Each protagonist offers different units, maps, supports, narrative perspectives, items and maybe classes not available in the opposite route, allowing for replayability. The protagonists are opposites in every way - the Boy Lord is a weakling (either because of weak constitution or just being crap at fighting) that serves as either a healer or ranged unit, and he is talented in schmoozing royals and is good in strategizing; the Girl Lord would be a martial prodigy that is good at military tactics but terrible in the royal court. There is no golden route available because not every story has to have a happy ending to be satisfying.
  • I wouldn't particularly mind an Avatar, and the above scenario allows room for one. The Avatar could be a customizable unit that is there mostly for as a narrator, telling an unnamed audience of his adventures in this conflict. They would play a role very similar to Mark, though the reason for why they are in the chosen army slightly differs depending on the chosen route.
  • Limited supports. I know it isn't a guarantee for good writing, but I believe it would help. At the very least, I would like some consideration in what characters would realistically interact with each other. Marriage, I don't mind, but it should be save for epilouges.
  • Speaking of characters, I'd like more unlikable characters. Like, Makalov. I made a post in another thread why I liked him for being unlikable. Essentially, I would like a variety of personalities. Realistically, not everyone is a perfect individual - give us characters with addictions and other issues like maybe being a single parent. I'm not asking for a cast full of drama, but just some nuance.
  • I want mainly want bird shape shifters back, to be honest. I kind of want Herons to make a return but some may not like that. A dude manakete would be a nice addition as well. He doesn't have to be young, either. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a considerably older manakete. Also, a dude refresher unit. Men can be dancers, singers, bards, etc. Like, c'mon.
  • Alternate versions of Mozu, Hinata and Shura being playable characters. Joking. but not really

Here is a theme I would like to see attempted. It does not necessarily have to be done in the same scenario as above. I copy-pasted it from another thread:

"A theme related to the saying "those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it" combined with elements from the idiom "the apple does not fall far from the tree" topped with a bit of "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Basically, a story wherein the main protagonist attempts to break the cycle of presumed injustices caused by their predecessor(s) by doing "what is right" but inadvertently ends up enacting the exact same "wrongdoings" to the people as their predecessor(s), causing hostility, strife and misunderstandings. Rebellion against the main protagonist may or may not happen. The main protagonist learns that placating everyone is literally impossible and trying to do so begets more violence. This scenario demands that the predecessor(s) be properly characterized even if they are not actually physically present throughout the story. "

I might add more ideas when they come to me.

I primarily want a more down-to-earth story with a human villain that makes sense and doesn't go off the deep end, but rather fights for what he believes in just like the protagonists. It would be refreshing if the world wasn't at stake, for example, and that the villain winning wouldn't mean the end of everything, just a difference the main characters are not comfortable with. Something that allows for discussion and debate. In other words, just follow Kreia's quote: "I? You think I seek the death of all living things? There's no victory in such things. When I win I want it to be because I was right, my teachings true."

I'd like for minor choices to affect gameplay and at least dialogue in terms of story. Have us choose which route to take which affects maps/recruits, though it takes us to the same destination all the same. It would allow for replayability, player agency and maybe a split between harder and easier maps. I'd like for there to be different endings though, perhaps even having the final few maps be different based on a choice. 

Of course, There are also many miscellaneous improvements that I'd like to see, like better worldbuilding and the like, but those are a given.

On July 14, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Jotari said:

For old features unlikely to return, I'd like to see Skill Capacity, Weapon Durability, Constitution (with a growth), Biorhythm, Crossbows (but made useful), Radiant Dawn Height Mechanics, Dismounting.

As for new mechanics.

-I'd like keep Shurikens around with their debuff mechanics (though nerf how powerful they can get) and separate them from knives. The gimmick of knives would be that they can't be countered. This would allow your thieves to actual take part in combat without serious risk of them getting killed.

-Turn rally bots into their own specific support class.

-Make the armour status something other than a massive weakness. Maybe a complete immunity to knives and shurikens and reduced damage from Hand Axe/Javelins.

-Reduce critical damage to x2 but add skills and special weapons that increase the power. This would stop enemy criticals from being so devastating while maintaining their use for the actual characters that rely on them.

-Third tier and branching classes combined.

Basically what I said in the switch thread. That last point in particular I'd love to see made real.

For story, there's no real ideal story. There's can't be really. Would like to see a story set on a series of islands though for a new aesthetic taste.

Hm, let's see...

• No avatar, or if they have to be there make it one who doesn't intrude on the plot in any way whatsoever.  
  • A mix of the GBA and FE9 support systems, maybe with the ability to have the range of support growth by being close to each other extended to 2-3.  Basically, have points from both same map deployment, and being near each other often during the maps themselves.
  • Either do Skills like FE10 with a few adjustments (ie locked skills like shove and canto should not take capacity, that was dumb), or be a more back to basics game like FE6/7.
  • Objective variety.  Avoid things like FE6's mono-seize or FE13 only having Rout and Boss. 
  • Interesting maps, avoid open fields like FE13's.
  • If children are there make them make sense (like they did in FE4).
  • If it doesn't make sense for a character to attack a certain other character, prevent them from attacking.  FE10 did this with things like the dragons not attacking Ena and Kurthnaga, and I find it very bizarre that this did not return in FE13 on for things like Yen'fey and Say'ri.
  • Heroes-ish weapon triangle where the magical triangle is laid on top of the physical one, though I would personally prefer if they used the Light/Dark/Anima triangle from the GBA games over the Fire/Wind/Thunder one.   My preference would probably be Light/Swords > Axes/Dark > Anima/Lances > Light/Swords.  
  • On a similar note, make the WT feel as relevant as it does in Fates or Heroes.  
  • And include both physical and magical -reaver weapons.
  • Like with Heroes, prevent use of -breakers when at weapon disadvantage.  For main games where characters can have multiple weapon types, allow it to be equipped but disable it if you're using a weapon with a disadvantage.  So for instance, a cavalier has axebreaker, but it'll only work if he's using a sword and not a lance.
  • Marriage only really happens in character endings, and there are platonic endings too.  Also, no everyone x everyone.  So basically FE7/8's approach to shipping.
  • Make the story not-terrible, and with good characters who are allowed to mess up but don't seem to grasp an idiot ball either.  I really have no true desires other than "please write something that isn't bad and can keep my attention."  
Edited by Glaceon Sage