Not feeling super optimistic on chances to *5 characters

Junkhead

I realise I stepped up a little late into the meta, and along with it, my desire to actually train up characters to the best they can be. As such, it's relatively recent as to when I actually started actually getting concerned about using Feathers to promote them. I didn't really farm all that much back then, and the bestI've gotten was just over 10k back then. As of now, I've managed to promote two characters to *5, and now I'm looking into the next. So apparently promoting characters only for their skills is very much a thing.

Are we basically talking about once a month, realistically? You're garanteed at least 10k if you do your best in the Arena (Offense).

5 star promoting twice a month has been the minimum for me the last few months, and we're only getting more feathers each month. The arena alone nets you 4K a week assuming ~Tier 15 and no defense wins. Tempest Trial and Voting Gauntlet seem to both be a monthly affair too and that's about another 15K if you're averagely diligent with both, maybe more when you tally up these daily quests they tied to this TT, 3150 I think. Infernal GHBs exist twice a month, that's 4000. Chain Challenges dumped a ton of feathers on us, 4800 from Normal, 9600 from Hard. And Hero merit rewards, which you can grind easily through chain challenge. 2000 from potentially every character you own.

I think my next 5 star promotion is number 9 or 10, I lost count. But I'm still trying to fill holes in my roster. I've considered promoting characters just for 5 star weapons and skills, but there's always something out there I seem to get more use out of through roster diversity.

I've promoted 8 units to 5* thus far, would have been able to do more but SI happened and I ended up doing a lot of 3-4* promotions.

I haven't promoted any 5*s for SI though, since I had other characters I wanted to promote, though now that everyone currently available that I wanted to 5* has already been promoted, I might start doing SI promotions, for skills like L&D 3.

27 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

I realise I stepped up a little late into the meta, and along with it, my desire to actually train up characters to the best they can be. As such, it's relatively recent as to when I actually started actually getting concerned about using Feathers to promote them. I didn't really farm all that much back then, and the bestI've gotten was just over 10k back then. As of now, I've managed to promote two characters to *5, and now I'm looking into the next. So apparently promoting characters only for their skills is very much a thing.

Are we basically talking about once a month, realistically? You're garanteed at least 10k if you do your best in the Arena (Offense).

Tier 19 should be easily reachable with a free pony team consisting of Camus, Cecilia, Ursula, and Xander, so that is 2,000 based on just your tier per week. Defense will net you 900 per week and scoring above 4,001 will give you another 2,500. That is a total of 5,400 Feathers a week, or 21,600 Feathers per month.

—  —  —  —  —  —  —

This month's Tempest Trials gives you 3,500 Feathers.

Voting Gauntlet will give you 1,500 Feathers for choosing the team that wins all three rounds, 2,000 Feathers for ranking poorly or doing nothing for all three rounds, and another 1,000 Feathers for ranking poorly or doing nothing overall. That is a total of 4,500 Feathers if you pick the right team and do nothing. If you do something and rank in the top 99,999 players per round and overall, you will get at least another 900 Feathers, for a total of at least 5,400.

Daily Login bonuses gives 200 Feathers per week, or 800 Feathers per month.

Grand Hero Battle will give 2,000 Feathers for Infernal mode, and a total of 4,000 Feathers per month

This month's monthly quest gives 1,300 Feathers if I did my math right.

All this should net you at least 15,000 Feathers a month.

—  —  —  —  —  —  —

Tempest Trials Quest and the Arena Quests will net you at least another several thousand Feathers. 40,000 Feathers worth of income per month is pretty reasonably achievable. With the amount of free Orbs they give out, It is possible to promote a unit to 5* and give it a decent build every month.

I've done a total of 8 5-star promotions (this total includes the Askr Trio and the 1 Draug I made 5-star for the sake of Brave Sword+ SI) and I've been playing since release. Currently, I have 13K feathers and will be getting another 10K feathers once Tempest Trials end and I remain in the top 1K in ranking. I've gotten a total of 22500 feathers from Hero Merit and have yet to touch any of the Chain Challenges.

And I've got quite a laundry list of what I want to do with my feathers...

• Get Nino to 5* for Gronnblade+ inheritance
  • Get Cecilia to 5*
  • Get Eirika to 5*
  • More 5* SI-shenanigans...
Edited by Roflolxp54

I just blew my only 20k on 5*'ing Gaggles only to sacrifice him.

If that doesn't say "I somewhat appreciate you", I don't know what does.

I'M SO SORRY GAGGLES

I think I've promoted 9 units to 5* now (playing since launch), could have been more, but I also promoted a lot of units to 4*.

I tend to get over 20k feathers a month from the arena alone (top 3 tiers, always a defence win) and in between the voting gauntlet, TT, quests and HM, 2 promotions a month is pretty doable. Even if you do worse in the arena and the voting gauntlets, 3 promotions in 2 months should be pretty doable by now (and it gets easier to get more after you do more promotions of course).

Wow I'm seeing everyone saying that they have promoted lots of units to 5* and I'm here thinking what the hell until i realise I have just been sitting on the feathers to promote 4 more units but because they are a rare resource I must horde them in case some time in the unspecified future i need 80k feathers for whatever reason

Promoted a couple to 4*  early on, wasn't doing so hot on the feather gathering early on either.

Currently leaving it to just 5* promotion, I've done the Askran trio, Xander, Camus and Michalis. I've also got enough to promote 2 more, much as I'm trying to keep enough for an emergency promotion (unlikely as it is).

Cecilia (inheriting Gronnraven+ on Robin)
Sharena
Odin (inheriting Blarblade+ on Linde)
Nino
Hinata (inheriting Ruby Sword+ on Olivia)
Anna

Could've sworn I did more than that... anyway, I think I intend for my next promotion to be Tiki (inheriting Lightning Breath+ on Fae). Then probably Alfie. After that... I kinda want to continue the pattern, but I don't know whether to give Ogma's sword to Hana or Alfie (favouritism versus pragmatism). There's also things like getting that Camus...

I felt like using feathers to 5* people would be really sparse, and earlier on it was. But luckily they've really been amping up how many feathers we can get monthly between Tempest, more quests, more other events, and even the normal/hard Chain Challenge modes too.

I only wish I wasn't blowing way more feathers on promoting from 3*>4* and 4*>5* for skills than actually adding new usable 5* units to my barracks. I almost always pull good fodder units like Odin, Jagen, Gunter, Fredrick, Hana, etc at 3* instead of 4, meaning 2k more feathers down the drain.

The only units I've ever promoted to 5* and kept to use are Tharja, Xander and Camus. Everything else has been skill fodder for weapons, LaD3, etc.

Probably gonna promote a Nino to keep real soon though, since I actually got a 3* +spd -res one.

Units I've promoted to 5 star are Frederick (<3), Sharena, both Robins, Marth (but then I pulled a 5 star Marth that was better and now he's merged into the Marth I pulled. xP), and Nino. Off the top of my head, anyway. So 6 upgrades.

Frederick was my very first 5 star period because back then my luck in pulls was shitty. Didn't pull a 5 star until April.

There aren't really anymore upgrades I really want to do other than Michalis at the moment though, so my next couple of upgrades at least will be more Fredericks for merging. Hee hee.

Edited by Anacybele

Feathers really haven't been an issue for me at all. I didn't start using them to promote characters to 5 stars until after Michalis's GHB came around.  I mostly used them to promote my characters to 4 stars. But now I'm sitting on 81k feathers, and I just recently did a promotion too. Since the start of the game, I've been able to promote:
Xander
Camus
Ursula
Odin (to give Ursula blade tome)
Nino
Cecila
Michalis
Lucius

Next I'm probably going to promote Palla and Cherche. Niles, Laslow, Hana, Matthew, Abel, Effie, Eliwood, Zephiel, and Lloyd are also on the list of potential promotes. 

Like plenty of people said, being able to promote/build at least one character a month is definitely doable.

I have been rather lazy in terms of promoting so I am sitting on almost 80k in feathers right now, but part of that is me making sure I have everyone I could possibly want to promote at level 40 4*.  I do have a list of priority though, Camus and Xander are at the top along with Navarre and Klein.  

I've promoted:

• M!Corrin 
  • Felicia
  • Xander
  • Eirika
  • F!Corrin

And I'm very close to 20k feathers again, It's much easier now to get feathers so promoting a character a month is quite easy. So some people next on my list to promote are:

• Effie
  • Camus
  • Klein
  • Athena
  • Reinhardt
  • Peri

I never trust my luck with pulls; when I do get another 5 star it's one I already have. Not the same feeling of excitement as getting someone new; I was more excited for that Peri than I was for my second Ephraim.

I feel like I'm pretty bad at managing my feathers but playing since launch I've managed to promote eight 5* with a ninth coming probably next week. Roughly in order I have promoted;

• Narcian 
  • Michalis
  • Nino
  • Xander
  • Jeorge
  • Cecilia (gronnraven+ for Soren)
  • Hana (LaD3 for Soren)
  • Boey

Next promotion will be a second Nino, so I can give Soren Gronnblade+. I've got a whole list going of characters I'm going to eventually promote. After this Nino will be Camus and then Ursula. I've got 11k feathers right now and it is a struggle to not just promote a bunch or 3* for SI purposes. In general though it seems like I'm able to promote two 5*'s per month between the arena, voting gauntlet, and TT. 

Promotions to 5*:

• Olivia x2 (merged them)
  • Palla (for SI)
  • Cecilia
  • Michalis
  • Camus
  • Gordin

I also have a looooong list of level 40 4*s to promote, and that's not even taking into account skill inheritance promotions.

I was the WORST when I started playing as I wasn't considering skills, just who I had and relative strength of 4* to 5*. What I did, was train all of the 1*s to 2*s and all of the 2*s to 3*s...yeah...a lot of wasted feathers. Since I stopped I have been able to (in less than a month) take Camus and Xander from 4* to 5* and am on my way to having a third person, that I will soon need to choose. I think your goal of two a month is pretty feasible.

14 hours ago, XRay said:

Tier 19 should be easily reachable with a free pony team consisting of Camus, Cecilia, Ursula, and Xander, so that is 2,000 based on just your tier per week. Defense will net you 900 per week and scoring above 4,001 will give you another 2,500. That is a total of 5,400 Feathers a week, or 21,600 Feathers per month.

The issue here is that the statement assumes that the player stays in tier 19, which is impossible if the player is active in Arena - players in tier 19 and have played in the Arena while in the tier can only move up to tier 20 or drop down to tier 18, with the latter possibility being much more likely for many players. The player cannot stay in tier 19 while already in tier 19 unless the player doesn't participate in Arena at all during the week (which is not productive for the sake of feather income).

This makes it so that a tier 18-19 player (able to promote to tier 19, then drop down to tier 18, and repeat) earns 5400 feathers every other week and 5200 feathers in between so the monthly total is actually 21200 feathers.

Edited by Roflolxp54

8 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

The issue here is that the statement assumes that the player stays in tier 19, which is impossible if the player is active in Arena - players in tier 19 and have played in the Arena while in the tier can only move up to tier 20 or drop down to tier 18, with the latter possibility being much more likely for many players. The player cannot stay in tier 19 while already in tier 19 unless the player doesn't participate in Arena at all during the week (which is not productive for the sake of feather income).

This makes it so that a tier 18-19 player (able to promote to tier 19, then drop down to tier 18, and repeat) earns 5400 feathers every other week and 5200 feathers in between so the monthly total is actually 21200 feathers.

Yeah. I forgot about that.

It would be cool if we could extract 5* skills from 4*s with a decreased feather cost.  Like if I wanted to get Cecilia's Gronnraven+, I could spend 5-10k feathers on it when sacrificing Cecilia.  Reasoning is because 90% of the time I 5* units, it's to inherit skills and it takes away from actually 5*ing units you're going to use.  By making it easier to inherit, the units you 5* to keep would seem more expensive than 5*ing for SI and you would more often have feathers left over to 5* units you're going to keep.

But this is not the case :(

Edited by Lushen

I've promoted 10 units to 5* so far and should be good to promote my 11th after TT ends. I haven't used many feathers to promote 3*->4* except in some rare instances when I really needed the SI.

So far I've promoted:

• Reinhardt
  • Tharja
  • Nino x 3
  • Camilla (so many regrets on this one....it was my first promotion when I didn't know any better)
  • Sharena
  • Alfonse
  • Anna
  • Xander

The problem is that I still need a boatload of feathers just to promote my high priority list. Cecilia needs to be promoted, She also needs Gronnblade. Camus needs promotion, Nino needs more merges for arena, Cordelia needs to be 5* and the list goes on.....

I've been doing about 3 5* promotions per month lately, might be able to hit 4 per month soon. I've been using them entirely to expand my 5* roster rather than getting merges or skill inheritance, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll feel like doing that for, since my 5* roster is getting large enough that it's hard for characters to feel like meaningful additions to it.