Is the act 6 optional or needed to beat the game?

3 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

It's basically the equivalent of Kanto in Pokémon Gold/Silver. In other words, an extra chapter in the story that takes place after the main campaign, and harder enemies too. The credits roll after Act 5.

Oh good. That's what worried me a bit since I heard that act 6 is so damn hard.

Plot-wise, it might not be canonical given you still have the Falchion. But the stuff you find out in Thabes is in all likelihood canon- though Alm and Celica in the actual canon don't visit Thabes and do things there is all.

I do sort of like the addition of Furia Harbor, it's proof of civilized human settlement north of Khadein. And the final Archanea Seaway battle was fun, if I had completed it faster I could have possibly avoided the reinforcements.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Plot-wise, it might not be canonical given you still have the Falchion. But the stuff you find out in Thabes is in all likelihood canon- though Alm and Celica in the actual canon don't visit Thabes and do things there is all.

I do sort of like the addition of Furia Harbor, it's proof of civilized human settlement north of Khadein. And the final Archanea Seaway battle was fun, if I had completed it faster I could have possibly avoided the reinforcements.

Clearly your fun is my hair-ripping agony.  Trying to clear past those three Dagons takes away so much effort from the remainder of the force, and by the time that's done in some 3-4 turns, I've lost at least two of my horsey-archers, one of my priestesses, everyone else is too far hurt and I can't keep up with the healers to keep everyone alive and am so thoroughly surrounded that I get whittled away after another two turns-

F*** ME I HATE THAT MAP IT'S SO UNFAIR!

Edited by Selena4Lyfe