Lord Class in DnD 5e, your thoughts and how to roleplay?

Protato

There's a homebrew Lord class in DnD 5e that I'm willing to try out, but I'd like help with things like balancing and how to roleplay them.  The character's name is Albrecht, a minor nobleman who has a brother of the Bard class, Erik (I'm playing him at present).  I'm not playing them in the same game necessarily, but I'm thinking the two of them could somehow be tied together in terms of character and motivation.  Basically, Alberecht is the responsible one, and Erik's the one that prefers to go and have fun.  Maybe the two could reflect on the absence of the other and grow from it?

K, haven't read the subclasses and multiclassing yet but I'll update with that later. First things first, make sure your DM is okay with homebrewed class as they tend to be OP as heck or weak as heck. Most the of the stuff here is pretty balanced actually except for a few things. Sol is way to over powered. In 5th ed there's a lot of value to be had in healing, even the simplest healing spell is 1st spell. So I'd tone that down to at least 1/4, rather than a half. And bond points are granted way to frequently. At 1st level you'll have a minimum of 6 bond points, assuming a normal sized party. By the time you get to level 14 you'll be able to spam either until the cows come home. Work with your DM to get that to a reasonable amount. Great Aether is also pretty broken, but I'd just adjust that so that it uses most if not all of your bond points. Last but not least is I'd take the hit die down to 1d8. 

As for the roleplaying side of this you need to consider how each character would be affected by the absence of their brother. How would the wild brother react? Would he go crazier? How would older bro do? Would he tend to be authoritative where he had no right? These are your characters so no one knows them better than you. 

I'll try to get back with you about the subclasses by the end of the day. 

Edit: Got a free moment so decided to go over the subclasses and this is what I found. Guardian of the Knight Lord feels weird to me but I don't know how to fix it. I believe there is a Protection fighting style that you and your DM can work out something with. Dual attack should not be able to use bond points to take away disadvantage but rather there should be no disadvantage in the first place and you must spend a point to dual strike and deal half damage. Just how I would do it. Okay on to blade lord, Once again supreme speed feels weird, the movement thing is fine but maybe you should change the mirror image thing a bit. Dragon Lord is great actually. The Prerequisites and Proficiencies of the multiclassing is fine but the Class options section is kinda garbage. Ask your DM how they want to handle that but I'd build something new from the ground up. Godspeed friend! 

Edited by Shogus00
update

It's a tabletop game. Having a Lord-type character kiiinda defeats the purpose of playin' those kinda games, right?

5 hours ago, ScarletFlame said:

It's a tabletop game. Having a Lord-type character kiiinda defeats the purpose of playin' those kinda games, right?

I suppose it could, but then again if the DM allows it it goes!  Incidentally, I played as this class the other day.

Albrecht started as a level 5 Knight Lord (but I accidentally gave him Find Steed early, but eh the DM said sure as long as I don't get a Feat or anything at level 7) with a Rapier, Morningstar, Dagger, and a Shortbow.  Worth noting is that the Rapier has the name Solarian, and is the counterpart to his brother's sword Lunarian.  I want the two swords to have some sort of latent abilities a la the Yato, but I'll have to work that out with the DM.

Bond Points are just being handled as 2 per level to spend, rather than a minimum total.

Roleplaying-wise, Albrecht insulted a major NPC Tiefling to show how he was raised mostly around humans, and unlike his kid brother, hasn't become accustomed to the world at large yet.  Speaking of his brother Erik, Albrecht is looking for him, but is always a step behind.  I decided a good flaw is that Albrecht is maybe a built jealous of his brother's magical abilities and having more worldly experience in spite of being both younger and less responsible. 

As for the events of the last game, he pulled a Kobold Druid with dragon-transforming powers (also homebrew) out of a magic bag, and almost died fighting two Flameskulls in his first serious combat encounter!  Still it was a lot of fun.  Said encounter ended on a cliffhanger, so I'm curious as to how the next session might go!

Edited by Protato