Celebrity Worship

Ronnie

You know what really grinds my gears? Celebrity worshiping. I will never understand why some people are so fixated on knowing every detail about a celebrity such as their personal life or their body. It's part of the reason why I refuse to purchase celebrity magazines or click on celebrity-related articles because I do not care about who someone broke up with, or if they gained/lost weight, or about their twitter beef with some other celebrity. Has anyone ever looked up a reason why some people care so much about celebrities to the extent of treating them like some higher beings? It's rather frustrating browsing the internet (like facebook for example) and seeing hundreds of links about the daily occurrences of celebrities like who cares?

I never understood this either. Celebrities are people with feelings too, they have just as much a right to privacy and a good life along with their career that made them famous.

Being a fan that likes their work and would have concern for their well-being is one thing, but yeah, who fucking cares about what they do otherwise? I don't even care if they have babies.

Which brings me to another thing I hate: that their children are automatically famous because they were born to celebrities. Fame and celebrity status is something you should be earning, not be granted just because you popped out of a famous woman's vagina. Getting so much attention right away can overwhelm a child and make their life hard too, or turn them into spoiled brats who take their fame for granted.

Edited by Anacybele

Okay but a lot of celebrities also do great or horrible things that are entirely worth our attention. Celebrities have a large audience of people because it's the nature of their work, and should be using that power responsibly. Granted some things are silly such as "x gained/lost weight" or "y went out wearing those clothes?" but that's mostly tabloid material. Plus I don't think a lot of people genuinely worship celebrities? Most people have celebrities they like or even love but few adults are truly that obsessive (some kids and teens are but let kids be kids.)

It's not just all shit that's on the daily either. There are plenty of celebrities who push for good, pro-charity, pro-LGBT+, pro-feminist agendas which are fantastic, and that should be celebrated. And there are also celebrities who are total shitbags and are homophobic or misogynistic and that should be condemned. And certainly celebrity status also brings some things to light that otherwise would never have occurred. If celebrity news and celebrity status were not a thing, we'd never know about ordeals such as the one with Dr. Luke and Kesha, or Johnny Depp and Amber Heard, to name two examples.

I really don't think celebrity status is a bad thing, and it definitely should not be a "Who cares?" type of deal universally. Tabloid crap? Certainly. But this isn't an umbrella issue.

2 hours ago, Dollie said:

i would take 25 to life for beyonce if she said she didnt want jay z anymore so im guilty of such

What's really weird is that I don't know in what way that's supposed to go. I could see it being either person, regardless of how (though I think I can guess the how at least).

On topic, celebrity worship doesn't fit my area. A couple of big names live around or come to the area I come from now and again, it's not that big a deal. I'd overreact, but I'm pretty poor at being Irish in general, it shouldn't surprise me. 

I can be a bit overzealous about someone's work, but usually I wouldn't be at them about it if I was near them. Usually.

I know people like celebrities or follow them on social media or whatever, but I've never heard of anyone "worshiping" a celebrity. I know that not everyone cares about every little detail of the life of a celebrity, but there are some people who do care about that, for whatever reason, and would like to know the little details about celebrities. If you personally don't care, that's great. Just don't pay attention or click on the links leading to celebrity news.

And another thing, I've never heard of fame ruining a child's life. I've heard of childhood stars growing up to be not well, but I've never of a child suffering for simply being the child of somebody famous.

16 hours ago, Carter said:

I've heard of childhood stars growing up to be not well,

This is my point. I've heard of many child stars not having good lives. And children born to celebrities still are somehow famous without even doing anything to be famous to begin with.

I can't think of a single child of a celebrity that's famous barring people who have actually done stuff (Jaden Smith, Miley Cyrus, etc). Sure they have a leg up on life, but that's just kind of the way life kind of is.

25 minutes ago, Darros said:

I can't think of a single child of a celebrity that's famous barring people who have actually done stuff (Jaden Smith, Miley Cyrus, etc). Sure they have a leg up on life, but that's just kind of the way life kind of is.

does Asahd count

1 hour ago, unique said:

does Asahd count

I'm going to go with a solid "Wait and see when he's older". He's still pretty little, so it's more like DJ Khaled is showing off his son right now. Which is completely normal for parents to do.