Every website should have a dark theme

Ronnie

5972a0b5ea7ba_Screenshot2017-07-2120_47_05.thumb.png.22899b7cd74f9128191a386eafccd658.png

Seriously Youtube is one of the last few websites I frequent that still kept its godawful white theme. I'm so glad they're offering a dark theme. So much easier on the eyes and it looks sleek too.

I'm pretty sure it was Michael Jackson who said "If you're gonna be my browser it don't matter if you're black or white" 

Dark themes don't really matter much to me, but I will have to say that looking at the bright white probably has a more harsh effect on your eyes if you spend a lot of time looking at YouTube all day. I don't watch YouTube much at all anymore so that's probably another reason why I don't care too much though

Well yknow what, though? Every website should also have a light theme.
I can't tell you how many sites there are that don't for some arbitrary reason, and I simply cannot use them, because they hurt my eyes far more than light themes do.

There's actually reasoning to this. People operating in low lighting conditions should use dark themes, but people operating in well-lit conditions have no need for them and need the standard bright theme. Otherwise, you end up with too much lighting contrast between the ambient and what you're looking at.
While I understand the use of dark themes at night, if you need them during the day you should really look into improving your room's lighting. Poor lighting is bad for your health in an incredible myriad of ways. Do not be dark brooding edgelord sitting in darkness, it bad for you.

6 hours ago, Ritisa said:

Do not be dark brooding edgelord sitting in darkness, it bad for you.

It's not my fault! The darkness is the one pulling me awaaaaay!

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'm so glad they're offering a dark theme. So much easier on the eyes and it looks sleek too.

I vaguely remember them doing something like this some years ago. There would be something like a light switch above a video, and by turning it off, you instantly got night theme on.

I don't know why they later removed it though, but I'm glad it's back....will there be more themes added in the future though?

Also, RIP old layout of Youtube. You might be missed.

8 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I vaguely remember them doing something like this some years ago. There would be something like a light switch above a video, and by turning it off, you instantly got night theme on.

I don't know why they later removed it though, but I'm glad it's back....will there be more themes added in the future though?

I totally remember that! It was for a short while years ago. I don't know if it was for some special occasion like Earth Day but it was definitely short lived.

I feel like software such as f.lux is better than dark themes for your eyes - primarily I use dark theme for the aesthetic. Though I do agree the white is very powerful in a dark room.

its an add on in firefox or chrome

.....i have had this conversation multiple times today through completely different platforms to completely different people

how strange