FE playable charaters that you like/hate that everyone else likes/hates

Characters that I like but others don't: Raven, Camilla, Lillina, Jesse, Alec, Geese...that's all I can think of now.

Characters that I don't like but others do: Almost the entire cast of FE6 except Rutger, Lillina, Dieck, Ogier, Milady, Percival, Alan, Lance and Geese and I guess Fir counts due to her design being good.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading more of this thread reminded me of some additional ones, so...

More characters I like that most people don't seem to:

• Ricken, Hayato, and their general type of character. A lot of people seem to find them really annoying, but I... honestly don't? They're nowhere near my favorite characters or anything, but I don't remotely hold any animosity towards them.
  • A lot of people seem to not really care about Wrys, but I like him. He seems like just a chill, kindhearted old guy who just wants to help others, and I can definitely respect that.
  • Eliwood is admittedly not exceptional as a character or a unit, but I think he definitely gets more crap than he deserves. Part of it definitely comes from people deriding male characters for showing vulnerability or expressing negative emotions in non-destructive ways, which is a trend I honestly really despise, so I'm at least partly inclined to push back against the hate for him just for that alone. Aside from that, he's just generally a decent human being and a sweet guy who I've never found anything to dislike about. He's not one of my favorite characters in the series, but I do still like him and think that he doesn't deserve the hate he gets.
  • Arthur (FE14) is almost never really talked about, but he's honestly one of my favorite characters in Fates. They could really easily have made him the sort of gag character who acts like a hotshot hero but is really a selfish coward when things get right down to it, and I'm very glad they didn't. Even though he's definitely a more comedic instance of it, I have a lot of respect for characters (and people!) who always strive to be a force for good, even in the face of adversity. For this, Arthur has my respect and support.
  • I can relate to Takumi's deep-seated insecurities and dislike of Corrin, plus I really like his design.
  • Dunno if this counts but I'm very much on Team "Faye Was Definitely Kinda Lackluster and a Missed Opportunity but Honestly Not That Bad".
  • Roger is another character who I honestly... really just don't hear about at all as opposed to actually hearing negative things about him, but he's always my Knight of choice in the Archanea Fire Emblem games. Far as I can tell, he comes perfectly usable and is very good at what Knights are supposed to do. He also has incredible Luck growth, for some reason. I don't know how much that actually helps him, but it's a thing. Shame what FE12 did with his character, though.
  • Both Panne and Yarne seem to get panned (teehee) a lot for their aversion to humans and extreme timidity, respectively. I don't mind either of them. I think that, after the literal genocide of her species at the hands of humans, Panne is more than justified in being wary of them, even if, yes, Not All Humans are horrifically racist against Taguel. As far as Yarne goes, I honestly think him being the last of his species/among the last two or three of them is only really part of why he's so skittish and anxious. Consider the sort of world he grew up in; it's a wonder more of the kids don't have similar neuroses, honestly.

Another character I don't like so much that a lot of people seem to like:

• Nah is a big one. So many of her supports are just her being a domineering, overcontrolling jerk to the person she's supporting with, sometimes even to the point of threatening them with death if they don't obey her. Okay, maybe that last one was just Inigo, but still. It's probably partially because this is a trait I find to be really, really insufferable in real life, but Nah is one of the few Fire Emblem characters I can say I actually do dislike to some degree because of it.
Edited by Topaz Light

@SatsumaFSoysoy Oh, that's absolutely the case. I'm just stating that, while I acknowledge people largely don't really have a whole lot of direct control over what they end up liking and disliking, I find that to be a really shoddy reason for disliking a character. Seeing people hate on characters for that reason kinda makes me gravitate towards them more because of my own extreme distaste towards that basis for dislike.

Edited by Topaz Light

Off the top of my head, I like Virion, Tharja, RD Ike, Micaiah, Ilyana, probably some others. Can't say I hate anyone, let alone anyone popular, but Lyn is probably the top of my zero hype list.

There be a lot of characters who I felt ambivalent about initially that I've decided I do enjoy after all. Is it from headcanon bullshit? Sway from opinion pieces online? Pulling them in Heroes? Maybe some of those, but I figure it's just a matter of focusing on the good parts over the bad. There's always a good part if you're willing to look.

Hmm... Usually I'm unable to like character are unpopular, but I think I can try it.

Characters that I dislike that everyone else like:

Cordelia: Personally I have weird relation ship with her, I like her gameplay-wise, but if she wasn't so good, I would never use her because I find something about her personality... really dumb.

RD!Ike: He bothers me for reasons I think I don't need to explain.

Characters that I like that everyone else would dislike:

Micaiah is a special case, she is actually in a mid road; but I love her.

Edited by Troykv

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

@Rafiel's AriaYou dislike Frederick simply because of one part of one conversation? That's a little silly. I mean, you can dislike him, but I'd figure that one would dislike him for more than just that. I found that bit hilarious despite also being inappropriate, but yeah. :P

I know you like Frederick, so I won't try to argue too much. But that interaction was the first support I got with him. I'm all for being loyal and taking your job seriously. In that way, I'm kind of like him. I always have to be busy (or else I'm miserable being bored), and I want to do everything possible to help out my superiors even if it's something that's "below my station." But Frederick has no boundaries. There's a huge difference between being helpful and being kind of insensitive. 

He has a lot of good qualities, but Chrom isn't the only one he accidentally hurts. He does the same thing to Olivia as well. Sometimes he doesn't seem to understand how his actions have consequences, how his "helping" could really hurt someone's reputation. It's a big part of his personality that I can't ignore. Chrom and Olivia are both good people, so they can forgive him. I can't. It's fine if you find it funny; I'm sure plenty of people do, but from personal experience, when you're on the receiving end, it's not.

I don't any particularly strong dislikes besides Azama, which I've seen as more 50/50, but I do have a unit who I'm not really sure if they're disliked a lot but I'll mention anyways; Sumia.

7 hours ago, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

i hate, but people like:

Ninian- Honestly, I didn't even hate Ninian when I first started playing FE7. She had a cute design, and I like the shy female type. However, I started to notice something. She doesn't do anything productive until nearing the end of the game besides dancing for Eliwood with power that she borrowed from Nils, and stopping the dragons. 

AND stopping the dragons? Hey, I know this is a no judgements thread, but stopping the dragons is the literal goal of the main characters in FE7. They don't even detour with other subplots like the Bern succession crisis or Eliwood wanting to kill Nergal for revenge. She does twice the work your army does in the finale, and you're listing off characters that don't come close to that.

I dislike that people like:

Lute - she's a gag character with no funny or insightful supports. And I feel like everybody that overstates her usefulness as a unit is blissfully unaware of how amazing bishops are in the game.

I like that people don't 

Every potential bishop in Sacred Stones - They've all got great availability and the slayer skill + staff utility is amazing for the final chapters and post game. Nobody matches up to Bishop Tier.

Clive - He's not a good unit, but at least he admits his weakness as a leader. Even more powerful is the scene you get when you don't save Mathilda. The emotions he expresses in that scene and the Act 3 finale sort of make more sense in this alternate scenario. I also wish the Deliverance DLC was in the main game as it expresses why he turned over leadership to Alm so easily.

I don't hold a lot of strong opinions on controversial characters. I'm okay with Faye, I dislike Tharja as much as the writers intended me to dislike her, and Camilla is just a non entity when I think of Fates.

16 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Lute - she's a gag character with no funny or insightful supports. And I feel like everybody that overstates her usefulness as a unit is blissfully unaware of how amazing bishops are in the game.

Eh, I don't think she's particularly overrated or underrated as a unit. She has very good growths, and enemies in SS are quite weak, so she has a very easy time outpacing them despite her bases. And unlike Bishops, she has access to a horse with Mage Knight (we all know about GBA and horses). And as a Mage Knight, increased Con with Excalibur (a broken tome lmao) means her late game is quite on par with the Bishops you get.

Characters I like but I think are reasonably disliked - 

Micaiah - I think she actually has a interesting personality and I like magic users anyway.

Sain - His flattery and womanising is just kind of funny more than leching I think. 

Eliwood - Pathetic character really but I kind of like the fact that everyone else is tough and he's sort of not...

Ninian - Same reason as Eliwood, which is why they always end up together when I play.

Characters that I dislike more than others -

Camilla - Nothing else to say that already hasn't been said

Lucina - I liked her character in story, but her supports are so... uhh... boring.

Genny - Sorry but 'I'm ready to roll' is one of the most irritating lines in SoV. I've never really been one for cute characters anyway.

Azura - Her art makes her look like she's really vacant, and that irritating strand in front of her face, like why? I also don't really like how cold blooded she is about everything.

Edited by Natalie

Characters I like that others don't or otherwise have reservations about:

Azelle: I don't think people exactly hate Azelle but I do think I'm one of the rare people who has strong positive feelings towards him. Azelle seems rather overlooked.

Camilla: I think Camilla does enough to ensure her player pandering isn't that grating, most significantly by making it clear she does it to anyone she loves. Someone else here said it best: Tharja is just a creepy stalker but there's more to Camilla then that. 

Azura: I'd say she's a good character. Her interactions with other characters, specifically how they so clearly change depending on how comfortable Azura is with the one she speaks to make me think she really is a good character. Now the way the story threats the poor girl isn't good but I tend to view that as an entirely separate matter. 

Celica: Some people hold Celica's chapter 4 actions against her but I don't particularly feel like doing so. It was quite grating for her to whine how no one could possibly understand her but there's enough good stuff for the balance to remain on the positive end of the spectrum. She's a nice girl who does the regal princess act very well while still getting enough conversations where she lets her hair down. I'm also a big fan of her design.

M Morgan: The poor boy is generally regard as Minor Morgan, the one who's not female Morgan and who lags behind compared to her. I think the difference in their personality gives Morgan enough to hold his own against, if not surpass his female counterpart. I think he deserves to be regarded as a great character in his own right. 

People others like that I do not: 

Zephiel: I just don't respect his reasons for being a villain. Sure, his father didn't like him and wanted to murder him but the rest of Bern all seemed to be in love with the guy, even after he's gone nuts they remain devoted to him. All in all he just strikes me as a drama queen. 

Shinon: I don't mind a character being flawed but ending up so flawed that you're a terrible person is just a bit too much. A racist, a drunk, a jerk and to some extend even a traitor. I don't think being a decent human being to one kid and to the one man that cans stomach him is quite enough to redeem Shinon's many bad traits. 

Draug: Sorry but....who ARE you?. I played to both Shadow dragon and new Mystery and still can't name a character trait of Draug, other then that he wears armor. 

Hana: Her support with Corrin makes her come off as a scumbag so that's how I'm going to see her as. 

Odin: His gimmick really overstayed its welcome and considering Owain didn't have the growth his two partners has this really reflects badly on him. Some supports also made Odin quite predictable, by the books and boring which probably wasn't intended. 

5 hours ago, Topaz Light said:

Panne is more than justified in being wary of them, even if, yes, Not All Humans are horrifically racist against Taguel

I think its not as much as case of not all humans being horrifically racist but that no human on screen is racist at all. With dragons there seems to be a market for them as slaves, if Nowi's words and Nah's Yarne support are anything to go by but nothing with the Taguel. Panne says they were all wiped out and then the whole thing gets dropped without a single character ever being negative about the Taguel again. 

Like: I wouldn't say I "like" Camilla -- she's still not a great character by any stretch of the imagination. But I'd give her benefit of the doubt in regards to the fact that the reason why she's appears as awful as she does is because her character just does not work with her design. At all. She's meant to be a overly caring mother archetype, which is kinda fine by itself... but design/age-wise it almost comes across as sexual in nature and that really doesn't do her overall character many favors at all. By itself, her character could have been okay (if toned down a bit) if her design was completely different, like an older/reserved type. I mean, design isn't even bad either -- it would just work well if her character was more suited towards it.

Like as a unit: Dorcas. Even without Lyn Mode he can be a solid contributor in HHM. Still an average unit overall by all means -- but since early game HHM is much harder than what comes later, he can certainly have some value. Community generally thinks he's awful from what I've seen (growths are valued higher than they should be).

Dislike: Lucina. She's so bland. It would help if her design wasn't just a gender-swapped Marth -- but a lot of people seem to dig that for whatever reason. I mean, her character isn't bad... just wholly uninteresting. 

Dislike as a unit: Edward. A good contender for the most overrated unit in FE. People seem to love this guy and will completely go out of their way to defend the fact that he's a good unit. He's okay at best, by sheer effort of keeping him relevant. On Hard mode, he doesn't even fare well against axe users, and gains zero benefit by losing WTD against lances. And by virtue of earth affinity being as broken as it is, the other swordmaster just happens to be the better unit no matter what (let alone everything else about them). "Potential" doesn't even matter in this game either since everyone can cap-ram their stats with little effort. I'd even go as far to say he's 'bad' in HM, while many would disagree because it's "worth training him" or something.

Edward isn't overrated but rather underrated imo because people don't see his potential.

Funnily he's not really worse in HM in combat for most part of part 1. Axes would 2RKO him in NM and HM. The only exception is 1-1 where he can survive two axes in NM.
(he could do it in HM if he procs +2 HP and +2 def in 1-P which is unlikely to get though) 
Therefore he does better against lance users who won't 2RKO him for most part of part 1 except for steel lance soliders. However this can be fixed later on due supports and leveling.
His major problem is his speed. He needs speed in each chapter to double constantly which isn't easy to obtain because his speed growth is only 60%. He's a 1/3 chance to double most enemies in 1-1.

Zihark is an other type of myrm than Edward is. He has bases which Edward will reach easily, however 2-3 maps later after Zihark joined. Therefore his growths are inferior to Edward. Zihark has the bases to take two hits till 1-8. But already in 1-F he starts to struggle. Two steel axes kill him.
Edward is the better offensive unit with wrath + range swords while Zihark a better dodgetank thanks to earth.
In the long run Edward's growths usually outshine Zihark's.

All in all both are great for the DB in their own way. They're just different to use.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Zephiel: I just don't respect his reasons for being a villain. Sure, his father didn't like him and wanted to murder him but the rest of Bern all seemed to be in love with the guy, even after he's gone nuts they remain devoted to him. All in all he just strikes me as a drama queen. 

You know what's really odd? That no one..not even the slightest person(well ok Guinivere comes to mind) was aware of what his real intentions were which is what puzzles me. It could have helped the story in some form.

10 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

He's smart and lazy, but that's it. Because he's lazy, he doesn't do anything interesting. He doesn't even say anything interesting. He's just bland to me, personality wise.

Gameplay wise, His start is so terrible that it takes too much work than its worth to get him caught up, especially when you can have a Villager Archer long before you get him.

I just want to say, I just finished a blitzkrieg hard/classic, and Python was my #3 guy behind Gray/Saber. This was even with me pumping almost every shrine in to the vaunted archer!Kliff. All it takes is for your villager to have some crappy level ups, and Python's first 1-2 to be decent. By the time I had access to the killer bow, Python was better in just about everything but luck/res, and this was with me babying the other archer.

This was a blitzkrieg with no grinding, and I tried to play as efficiently as possible (ended 360 turns). Python has the growths to get him caught up and a class with great staying power. I also happen to love his personality as well - he's pragmatic & cynical.

So I guess Python is definitely on my "Like side"

Another guy I really like is Arran. No, not RD Aran, MotE Arran. I don't know if he's so much disliked as he is just forgotten, but he's my favorite Jeigan.

As for dislike, well, that probably goes to Ike/Lucina, but that's more for the fact I can't go anywhere without seeing them than it speaks against the characters themselves.

16 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I just want to say, I just finished a blitzkrieg hard/classic, and Python was my #3 guy behind Gray/Saber. This was even with me pumping almost every shrine in to the vaunted archer!Kliff. All it takes is for your villager to have some crappy level ups, and Python's first 1-2 to be decent. By the time I had access to the killer bow, Python was better in just about everything but luck/res, and this was with me babying the other archer.

This was a blitzkrieg with no grinding, and I tried to play as efficiently as possible (ended 360 turns). Python has the growths to get him caught up and a class with great staying power. I also happen to love his personality as well - he's pragmatic & cynical.

So I guess Python is definitely on my "Like side"

I ended with 368 on my Hard/Classic Blitzkrieg, but I had no Archer on Alm side at all (if I did I could have gone down to the 350s for sure). I didn't make Kliff into an Archer and tried to bank on Python, but not only was getting EXP for him rather difficult, his first two levels were garbage (I reset twice for him with no dice and couldn't be assed to do it more since I had good levels for everyone else). Those are basically his problems: when playing fast(er), Archers lose many sources of EXP because they can't ORKO well early game, and Python's first one or two levels need to be god levels for him to even have a chance. Granted, with enough work, he can still just be carried by Killer Bow + promotion into Sniper, but if he doesn't get those early god levels the work isn't worth it imo.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I ended with 368 on my Hard/Classic Blitzkrieg, but I had no Archer on Alm side at all (if I did I could have gone down to the 350s for sure). I didn't make Kliff into an Archer and tried to bank on Python, but not only was getting EXP for him rather difficult, his first two levels were garbage (I reset twice for him with no dice and couldn't be assed to do it more since I had good levels for everyone else). Those are basically his problems: when playing fast(er), Archers lose many sources of EXP because they can't ORKO well early game, and Python's first one or two levels need to be god levels for him to even have a chance. Granted, with enough work, he can still just be carried by Killer Bow + promotion into Sniper, but if he doesn't get those early god levels the work isn't worth it imo.

Yeah, if I did it again I would have made 2 mercenaries instead of 1, and kliff mage.

I think my first two level ups were just +str and +spd, and that was enough with the iron/steel bow to get him rolling. I'm not sure he needs god level ups, but he does need those two. Everything else comes later. Like I said, I put almost no work in to him, and he ended up pretty darn well, haha.

That fortress right before Rudolf must have been fun without an archer - I remember warping gray to one half and then letting python take care of the other half.

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Yeah, if I did it again I would have made 2 mercenaries instead of 1, and kliff mage.

I think my first two level ups were just +str and +spd, and that was enough with the iron/steel bow to get him rolling. I'm not sure he needs god level ups, but he does need those two. Everything else comes later. Like I said, I put almost no work in to him, and he ended up pretty darn well, haha.

That fortress right before Rudolf must have been fun without an archer - I remember warping gray to one half and then letting python take care of the other half.

I did Merc Gray, Mage Tobin and Cav Kliff. Cav Kliff wasn't always that useful unfortunately.

The levels my Python got were like... HP... and Def or something. UGH.

Last Bastion was definitely a map that hurt with no Archer. Fear Mountain is probably the biggest offender though.

I actually went and dug up some Python supports and stuff, and I think 8-4 made his lines a lot wittier for the localization. JP!Python is a lot more boring.

7 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I did Merc Gray, Mage Tobin and Cav Kliff. Cav Kliff wasn't always that useful unfortunately.

The levels my Python got were like... HP... and Def or something. UGH.

Last Bastion was definitely a map that hurt with no Archer. Fear Mountain is probably the biggest offender though.

I actually went and dug up some Python supports and stuff, and I think 8-4 made his lines a lot wittier for the localization. JP!Python is a lot more boring.

Merc gray was #2, right behind blessed sword Saber. Zweihander really was the gamewinner so many times. Mage Tobin was the biggest disappointment, and archer kliff got beat to the job (which is a shame, because I wanted that high res on my mage slayer). I didn't even take Faye.

Fun fact: Python had the highest def without items/shrines on Alm's side, at 13.

Fear mountain was a shitshow even with an archer (I think it sucked up 13 turns). I remember baiting the dreads and then warping Gray in to OHKO Nuibooba and then finishing the rest off. Having a shit Alm was what really hurt my turn count, especially in the treasure vault - it was so bad I wasn't even sure I was going to be able to finish the game.

Huh - I have no experience w/ Japanese Python, just his English one. It's a shame the deliverance DLC was, well, DLC, because he was a character that really benefits from it. I think anyone who knocks Python (or Clive or Lukas) should really check that out.

To stay mildly on topic, I'm a huge Clive fan as well... shame no one else seems to be!

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

8 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

O boy, another hate thread about hating fictional things what fun

You know, you do have a point. I mostly play games for gameplay, but when it comes to stuff like this it's kind of almost pointless....

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And honestly, I like some of his flattery! I wouldn't mind being compared to a pretty flower! ^^

That kind of gets diluted since he says something nice to anything that even remotely resembles a woman lol How can one feel special if everyone gets the same treatment?

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

People others like that I do not: 

Zephiel: I just don't respect his reasons for being a villain. Sure, his father didn't like him and wanted to murder him but the rest of Bern all seemed to be in love with the guy, even after he's gone nuts they remain devoted to him. All in all he just strikes me as a drama queen

Wait, people like Zephiel? I mean, i like him (mostly because of his battle theme and animations), but i thought the general opinion on him was meh. Then again, i thought everyone loved Ike before seeing a good amount of people hate on him, so i guess i should never assume anything.

But yeah, i agree that Zephiel's reasons for being a villain are dumb. What i would've done is have Jahn influence the whole thing, convincing Zephiel that Bern needs to rule Elibe, as well as convincing him to unseal Idoun.

Hate, but others like: 

IKE.  This guy should not have been a protagonist in FE10.  All he does is draw focus to his side of the laguz/Begnion war despite him not doing anything interesting and therefore choking Micaiah out of screentime.  The entirety of Part III should have been written from Micaiah's standpoint, rather than focusing on Gary Ike as much as it did.  If there is anything I hate in fiction, is taking an old protagonist who already got his development, and a new one who obviously hasn't, then giving most of the focus to the former.  And that is exactly what FE10 Part III does, and it's especially grating since I really like Micaiah and find Ike boring to watch.

The rest are more divisive than overall hated/liked so.  I guess Tharja and Camilla fall into the don't like but they have a lot of fans category, but on Serenes (which admittedly is not an accurate representation of the whole fandom) at least they're divisive.