FE playable charaters that you like/hate that everyone else likes/hates

On 9/24/2017 at 11:40 PM, NekoKnight said:

Fair enough, I'm not going to insist that you like her. If you think her flaws outweigh her positives, that's your opinion, but if you want to say that she's a weak leader (by her choices or personality), especially relative to every leader besides Caineghis, Tibarn and RD!Ike, that's objectively false.

But she's a weak leader compared to all the others except Pelleas and Skrimir. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

It depends on your definition of weakness. Is weakness about personal strength or their effectiveness? I'd say she is wise beyond her years (though she isn't completely above it), speaks with conviction and fights against oppression even though it only makes more enemies for herself. Yes, she gets captured by the corrupt senators, but there is only so much a person can do. Sanaki is also like 13-15 years old.

21 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

It depends on your definition of weakness. Is weakness about personal strength or their effectiveness? I'd say she is wise beyond her years (though she isn't completely above it), speaks with conviction and fights against oppression even though it only makes more enemies for herself. Yes, she gets captured by the corrupt senators, but there is only so much a person can do. Sanaki is also like 13-15 years old.

10 in PoR, 13 in RD.

12 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I'm not sure how Sanaki comes across as a weak leader. That she's such a nuisance to the Senators that they have to overthrow Sanaki seems to suggests she's a very strong leader. The Senators wanted her as their puppet but Lekain voices displeasure about her not being one. 

Throughout the games she's shown as very active in rooting out corruption. She may hire Ike to do the heavy lifting but Oliver falls because of her investigation and  Ike follows the plan she laid out. Sanaki also has Tormod go check on things in Daien and had the matter completely resolved until Jarod snapped .

Lekain's little speech indicates that Sanaki successfully kept the Senate in check for years despite being child. Even when she loses her country she arranges an army and conspires with Neasalla to take it all back. 

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm not sure how Sanaki comes across as a weak leader. That she's such a nuisance to the Senators that they have to overthrow Sanaki seems to suggests she's a very strong leader. The Senators wanted her as their puppet but Lekain voices displeasure about her not being one. 

Throughout the games she's shown as very active in rooting out corruption. She may hire Ike to do the heavy lifting but Oliver falls because of her investigation and  Ike follows the plan she laid out. Sanaki also has Tormod go check on things in Daien and had the matter completely resolved until Jarod snapped .

Lekain's little speech indicates that Sanaki successfully kept the Senate in check for years despite being child. Even when she loses her country she arranges an army and conspires with Neasalla to take it all back. 

I do believe she's a strong leader but she's still a kid so I find it unrealistic to claim she's a better leader than 20+ Elincia or Micaiah especially when those two have had the opportunity to show more leadership than Sanaki. 

Also, she seems indecisive and more easily swayed by emotions compared to the other two ladies. For example, she was tired of fighting so she let the Daein army retreat even though they could have probably finished them off right then and there. Also, she doesn't attack Sephiran despite him wanting the extermination of the human race just because he's  a "father-figure". Kurthnaga, despite being a pacifist, is able to fight his real father, for the greater good, despite his father being a lot more morally upright compared to Sanaki's "step-father". 

Then there is the fact that Micaiah is portrayed to be a much better leader. Why else would Sanaki offer to hand over the country? Not to mention that Micaiah, not Sanaki,  leads the army in part 4,  despite Sanaki having a much better relationship with the rest of the army which hints that Micaiah is a better leader. 

Edited by Icelerate

I like but people hate:

Lucius. Why does everyone hate this guy? His story is interesting, and he's a solid unit, at least for me. also...he's hot

Ricken. Everyone hates him but they never really say why.

Nino. Great story, and in my opinion very worth it to train.

I hate but people like:

Serra. God damn it, I hate everything about Serra.

Lucina. Great first impression, but then left me out to dry. SO MUCH LOST POTENTIAL...

Tharja. Camilla gets a pass because we know a little bit about her actions (Not saying I like her, but still). Tharja has basically no explanation for why she's so edgy. Or stalks us. (Rhajat also gets a pass because if she just had a LITTLE more depth, she could be solid. Tharja missed the mark by a lot though.)

All the Fates Royals, actually. Excluding Leo. And Support!Xander. (and I just explained why I don't despise Camilla)

59 minutes ago, Viridianveil said:

I like but people hate:

Lucius. Why does everyone hate this guy? His story is interesting, and he's a solid unit, at least for me. also...he's hot

Ricken. Everyone hates him but they never really say why.

Nino. Great story, and in my opinion very worth it to train.

I hate but people like:

Serra. God damn it, I hate everything about Serra.

Lucina. Great first impression, but then left me out to dry. SO MUCH LOST POTENTIAL...

Tharja. Camilla gets a pass because we know a little bit about her actions (Not saying I like her, but still). Tharja has basically no explanation for why she's so edgy. Or stalks us. (Rhajat also gets a pass because if she just had a LITTLE more depth, she could be solid. Tharja missed the mark by a lot though.)

All the Fates Royals, actually. Excluding Leo. And Support!Xander. (and I just explained why I don't despise Camilla)

• I like Lucius as well, but perhaps they hate him simply in comparison to Pent as a general magic user.
  • I don't remember how well Ricken performs as a unit, so I'm going to assume it's because some people might find his personality irritating.
  • People like Serra?

4 hours ago, Viridianveil said:

I like but people hate:

Lucius. Why does everyone hate this guy? His story is interesting, and he's a solid unit, at least for me.

Wait, what??? People hate Lucius???

I don’t really hate any character but here’s some that I have some issues with I guess

I hate but people like:

Azama is the only fictional character ever that has been able to annoy me. I’m not sure what it is about him maybe it’s the way he phrases things plus his smarmy attitude idk

Ninian is just really boring. She never really does anything, always somber, and I also dislike the way the game pushes for her to end up with Eliwood but it feels like a really half-assed romance plot and instead just leaves us with assorted scenes of Eliwood holding Ninian

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Wait, what??? People hate Lucius???

I second this. I’ve never heard of Lucius being hated.

I hate Soren. He's a total edgelord and there's pretty much nothing interesting about it and the game tries to shove him in your face the whole game. He's nothing special as a unit either in either of the games he appears in and in my experience he's always outclassed by Ilyana/Tormod. Tharja is a thot and Henry is better in every way. If Tharja weren't a dark mage or if the nosferatu tome weren't in Awakening she would be garbage. Camilla/Leo/Xander aren't that great of units especially as it gets later into the game where they just fall off because they get doubled by everything and don't even do enough damage to make up for it outside of maybe Xander who's basically carried by his good weapon and defense stat. Nephenee is pretty overrated. She was okay in PoR and RD but that's all. In RD there's no reason to ever use her over Aran unless it's because you just like her as a character. Gatrie really isn't much better than Brom. I love Makalov. Bryton isn't that good and is pretty much useless after his recruitment chapter without scroll abuse. Black Knight is a shit villain. Shiva is overrated and outclassed by Mareeta. Eyrios is just as good as Olwen. Oboro is a terrible unit. Stahl is way better than Sully. Lucina is a bland character. Hinoka is no better than Subaki. Azama so heavily outclasses Sakura to the point that there's no reason to ever use her and Azama is one of the best units in Birthright. Saizo is pretty mediocre. Felicia is hot garbage unless class changed to Valkyrie. Benny is potentially the best unit in Conquest and outclasses Effie. Odin is better than Nyx. Shiro is the best child unit in Fates. Silque is bad in SoV outside of the minion spawning spell. Atlas is one of the better units in SoV if made into an archer. Shin is hands down the best unit in FE6. Rutger is not that good. Astore is the best of the thieves in FE6. There's no reason to use Lute when Saleh is in the game because Saleh so heavily outclasses her. Seth is overrated. Forde is the worst cavalier in FE8. Vanessa is bad. Marisa is bad. Knoll and Ewan are both pretty good. All the pegasus knights in FE7 are trash. Legault is better than Matthew. Rebecca isn't that bad. Lowen is pretty good. Raven is good but he's not one of the best units in FE7 like so many people like to say. Saul is the best healer in FE6.

9 hours ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

I hate Soren. He's a total edgelord and there's pretty much nothing interesting about it and the game tries to shove him in your face the whole game. He's nothing special as a unit either in either of the games he appears in and in my experience he's always outclassed by Ilyana/Tormod. Tharja is a thot and Henry is better in every way. If Tharja weren't a dark mage or if the nosferatu tome weren't in Awakening she would be garbage. Camilla/Leo/Xander aren't that great of units especially as it gets later into the game where they just fall off because they get doubled by everything and don't even do enough damage to make up for it outside of maybe Xander who's basically carried by his good weapon and defense stat. Nephenee is pretty overrated. She was okay in PoR and RD but that's all. In RD there's no reason to ever use her over Aran unless it's because you just like her as a character. Gatrie really isn't much better than Brom. I love Makalov. Bryton isn't that good and is pretty much useless after his recruitment chapter without scroll abuse. Black Knight is a shit villain. Shiva is overrated and outclassed by Mareeta. Eyrios is just as good as Olwen. Oboro is a terrible unit. Stahl is way better than Sully. Lucina is a bland character. Hinoka is no better than Subaki. Azama so heavily outclasses Sakura to the point that there's no reason to ever use her and Azama is one of the best units in Birthright. Saizo is pretty mediocre. Felicia is hot garbage unless class changed to Valkyrie. Benny is potentially the best unit in Conquest and outclasses Effie. Odin is better than Nyx. Shiro is the best child unit in Fates. Silque is bad in SoV outside of the minion spawning spell. Atlas is one of the better units in SoV if made into an archer. Shin is hands down the best unit in FE6. Rutger is not that good. Astore is the best of the thieves in FE6. There's no reason to use Lute when Saleh is in the game because Saleh so heavily outclasses her. Seth is overrated. Forde is the worst cavalier in FE8. Vanessa is bad. Marisa is bad. Knoll and Ewan are both pretty good. All the pegasus knights in FE7 are trash. Legault is better than Matthew. Rebecca isn't that bad. Lowen is pretty good. Raven is good but he's not one of the best units in FE7 like so many people like to say. Saul is the best healer in FE6.

I do agree with some of this, but on the other hand, you posted a hell of a lot that I have to call BS on... For one, Nephenee and Aran are both in separate teams until part 4 (though I do believe Aran does more for his group than Nephenee does in hers before then). Also, I fail to see how Azama "so heavily outclasses Sakura to the point where there's no reason to use her" when he doesn't have a personal skill that makes him a must-use like she does. And how is Hinoka no better than Subaki??? And I find it hilarious how you say that Saleh outclasses Lute to the point where there's no reason to use her, yet you turn around and sing the praises of Ewan, who - guess what - is also outclassed by Saleh.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

10 hours ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

I hate Soren. He's a total edgelord and there's pretty much nothing interesting about it and the game tries to shove him in your face the whole game.

No offence but your username is edgelordweeaboo so you criticizing Soren for being an edgelord is odd. 

Also, I fail to see how Azama "so heavily outclasses Sakura to the point where there's no reason to use her" when he doesn't have a personal skill that makes him a must-use like she does.

I imagine he must be thinking about survivability.  Azama stands out as one of the few tanky units in a cast that's mostly reliant on evasion in a game that nerfed evasion.

(I'm mostly thinking about Birthright and not Fates as a whole.)

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

3 hours ago, Icelerate said:

No offence but your username is edgelordweeaboo so you criticizing Soren for being an edgelord is odd. 

origin of the name was i made an osu account and didn't know what to name myself and decided to play osu you have to be an edgelord weeaboo chimp and i like metal music and anime to some extent so i named myself edgelordweeb and it stuck, now i name myself that for everything 

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I do agree with some of this, but on the other hand, you posted a hell of a lot that I have to call BS on... For one, Nephenee and Aran are both in separate teams until part 4 (though I do believe Aran does more for his group than Nephenee does in hers before then). Also, I fail to see how Azama "so heavily outclasses Sakura to the point where there's no reason to use her" when he doesn't have a personal skill that makes him a must-use like she does. And how is Hinoka no better than Subaki??? And I find it hilarious how you say that Saleh outclasses Lute to the point where there's no reason to use her, yet you turn around and sing the praises of Ewan, who - guess what - is also outclassed by Saleh.

Probably should have clarified there's no reason to use nephenee past the part she first appears in. Azama is way tankier than Sakura, he has way better offense and fills a much more unique role in Birthright/Revelation. Sakura is just another mage in a game with other better mages. Orochi fills the same role as her as a slow magic user and Hayato is just a really good unit and way better than Sakura. Hinoka is no better than Subaki because Subaki is way tankier while having about the same strength stat and his speed not being that far behind. Ewan can become a Druid/Summoner so he fills a different role from Lute/Saleh.

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I imagine he must be thinking about survivability.  Azama stands out as one of the few tanky units in a cast that's mostly reliant on evasion in a game that nerfed evasion.

(I'm mostly thinking about Birthright and not Fates as a whole.)

I am thinking of survivability and combat ability too. Azama is really good in every stat and he fills a unique role. The only other unit that fills a somewhat similar role is Oboro and Oboro is a terrible unit and doesn't fill the healing role at the same time.

1 hour ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

Probably should have clarified there's no reason to use nephenee past the part she first appears in. Azama is way tankier than Sakura, he has way better offense and fills a much more unique role in Birthright/Revelation. Sakura is just another mage in a game with other better mages. Orochi fills the same role as her as a slow magic user and Hayato is just a really good unit and way better than Sakura. Hinoka is no better than Subaki because Subaki is way tankier while having about the same strength stat and his speed not being that far behind. Ewan can become a Druid/Summoner so he fills a different role from Lute/Saleh.

Unique doesn't always equal useful, to be frank. Also, Sakura's so-called "competition" is laughable at best - Orochi's slow as molasses, and Hayato's underleveled (in Birthright, at least) - and I much prefer Priestess for her anyhow. And I'd say Azama straight up loses out in Revelation on account of coming underleveled and late. As for Subaki, I'm hesitant to say he even gives Hinoka competition on account of him having poor growths everywhere but Skill, Defence and HP. FYI, 6 speed - the difference between Subaki's base and Hinoka's base - isn't a miniscule gap. WRT Ewan, I don't really see much reason to invest in him when I get a good summoner free of charge pretty much later on.

1 hour ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

I am thinking of survivability and combat ability too. Azama is really good in every stat and he fills a unique role. The only other unit that fills a somewhat similar role is Oboro and Oboro is a terrible unit and doesn't fill the healing role at the same time.

On what grounds is Oboro terrible???

As for some other stuff you said:

-I don't really care about who's better between Odin and Nyx since they're both bad

-I don't really see how the FE7 pegs are bad when their competition is an underleveled wyvern who's not that great and a late joiner

-I agree that Marisa's not good

Unique doesn't always equal useful, to be frank. Also, Sakura's so-called "competition" is laughable at best - Orochi's slow as molasses, and Hayato's underleveled (in Birthright, at least) - and I much prefer Priestess for her anyhow. And I'd say Azama straight up loses out in Revelation on account of coming underleveled and late. As for Subaki, I'm hesitant to say he even gives Hinoka competition on account of him having poor growths everywhere but Skill, Defence and HP. FYI, 6 speed - the difference between Subaki's base and Hinoka's base - isn't a miniscule gap. WRT Ewan, I don't really see much reason to invest in him when I get a good summoner free of charge pretty much later on.

On what grounds is Oboro terrible???

As for some other stuff you said:

-I don't really care about who's better between Odin and Nyx since they're both bad

-I don't really see how the FE7 pegs are bad when their competition is an underleveled wyvern who's not that great and a late joiner

-I agree that Marisa's not good

The unique role Azama fills is really important because no one else can tank like him in Birthright outside of Silas. I don't think he outclasses Sakura as hard in Revelation but in Revelation a ton of other units outclass her instead. His role isn't nearly as important in Revelation either because there are other tanks in Revelation. Hayato joins underleveled but he's really easy to train if you wait on parlogue 1 and then just feed him kills on that chapter. Hayato is also really fucking good when trained. Orochi is super slow but can serve as a magic nuke. Sakura doesn't have enough magic to nuke and doesn't have enough speed to double and isn't tanky enough to tank hits. She doesn't have high enough strength to be good as a priestess without the shining bow either and if you're just gonna use the shining bow there's no reason for her to not just become an Onmyoji. Oboro is too slow to double and gets doubled by a decent amount of units too and doesn't have the strength to hit hard enough to make up for it and isn't even tanky enough to fill the tanky spear user role like Azama. In comparison Azama is fast, tanky, and hits hard. in FE7 it's not a competition between any of the fliers because they all suck including Heath. 

44 minutes ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

The unique role Azama fills is really important because no one else can tank like him in Birthright outside of Silas. I don't think he outclasses Sakura as hard in Revelation but in Revelation a ton of other units outclass her instead. His role isn't nearly as important in Revelation either because there are other tanks in Revelation. Hayato joins underleveled but he's really easy to train if you wait on parlogue 1 and then just feed him kills on that chapter. Hayato is also really fucking good when trained. Orochi is super slow but can serve as a magic nuke. Sakura doesn't have enough magic to nuke and doesn't have enough speed to double and isn't tanky enough to tank hits. She doesn't have high enough strength to be good as a priestess without the shining bow either and if you're just gonna use the shining bow there's no reason for her to not just become an Onmyoji. Oboro is too slow to double and gets doubled by a decent amount of units too and doesn't have the strength to hit hard enough to make up for it and isn't even tanky enough to fill the tanky spear user role like Azama. In comparison Azama is fast, tanky, and hits hard. in FE7 it's not a competition between any of the fliers because they all suck including Heath. 

HA HA HA.... no. I don't really see how any of the other mages outclass Sakura when they're problematic across the board (the only Fates mages I can call anywhere near good are a royal and a child unit). And I see you have no answer to Sakura having a great personal skill, which does me a world of good - that alone is reason enough for me to consider her an auto-deploy, as I see it. So have you been trying to channel your personal experience into these arguments? Because that's a big no-no.

12 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

HA HA HA.... no. I don't really see how any of the other mages outclass Sakura when they're problematic across the board (the only Fates mages I can call anywhere near good are a royal and a child unit). And I see you have no answer to Sakura having a great personal skill, which does me a world of good - that alone is reason enough for me to consider her an auto-deploy, as I see it. So have you been trying to channel your personal experience into these arguments? Because that's a big no-no.

her skill isn't that broken to where she's an auto deploy every map for it bro. orochi has an 80% magic growth which generally makes her an effective magic nuke. hayato has basically the same growths as sakura but he can be used as a mage from the moment you get him. azama already functions as a staff user for the early game who can become a very important tank unit later on in a game with almost no tanky units

48 minutes ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

her skill isn't that broken to where she's an auto deploy every map for it bro. orochi has an 80% magic growth which generally makes her an effective magic nuke. hayato has basically the same growths as sakura but he can be used as a mage from the moment you get him. azama already functions as a staff user for the early game who can become a very important tank unit later on in a game with almost no tanky units

It might not be that broken, but it does me much more good than Orochi's one attack against literally everything that isn't wielding weapons that make them easier to double ever will (seriously, she's so slow she can't even double freaking ARMORS without them using javelins or the like... that's the epitome of sad. It also disqualifies her from being called a magic nuke, by my standards). And you want to know why? It's because, as you yourself stated, almost no units in Birthright are tanky. And Hayato starts at level 1... I'm not seeing what about him makes him better. And Azama's pretty much redundant when I already have two other staffers by the time he joins (even though admittedly, he can be a pretty durable unit with investment).

12 hours ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

Uh, going by growths Oboro beats Azama as a physical tank (50% to 40% Def growth and a better base). Her speed growth is slightly less (55% to 60%), but with a base of 12 I don't see how she could be too slow to double most Nohrian units unless she got majorly stat-screwed. Her strength growth is the same as Azama's (55%) and her base is better, not to mention she starts with C-rank in naginata while Azama has to start with E-rank junk once he finally gets around to promoting, so she's going to be better at killing for pretty much the whole game. Her personal is better (Divine Retribution is almost useless, especially once Azama promotes, while Nohr Enmity is almost always active), Spear Fighter's tree's skills are better than Monk's, and Spear Master gets some handy bonuses.

Orochi is much too slow to even function as a nuke. By the time she reaches level 20 her average Speed is a whopping 11.5, which is garbage. At 20/20 it's 17.2+promotion bonus, which is still atrocious. Much better to double an enemy with somewhat weaker hits given how most Nohrian units have poor Res. Orochi's also absurdly fragile even by Birthright standards thanks to her terrible HP, Luck, and Defense. She can be outright one-shot by Mokushujin ninjas, and any physical unit that can double her (read: most of them) can easily ORKO her, which is only made easier by her horrid Avoid.

41 minutes ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

-2 damage to all units within 2 spaces of Sakura is huge, especially in the early game when that's somewhere around 15-20% of the total damage an average enemy will do. Azama's skill on the other hand is essentially irrelevant even before promotion and becomes completely pointless afterwards, because there's no reason you'd unequip his weapon. Using him as a tank also leads to the problem of somebody else having to heal him when he's one of the people who's supposed to be healing. Your regular mages have more important things to do, and Azama generally can't heal himself, so then who does it? Most likely Sakura.

As for Hayato, I do use him because I think Orochi is trash, but he really isn't that great. He starts off way under-leveled in Birthright and his magic growth is pretty bad, especially since scrolls/tomes are weak in Fates.

10 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

It might not be that broken, but it does me much more good than Orochi's one attack against literally everything that isn't wielding weapons that make them easier to double ever will (seriously, she's so slow she can't even double freaking ARMORS without them using javelins or the like... that's the epitome of sad. It also disqualifies her from being called a magic nuke, by my standards). And you want to know why? It's because, as you yourself stated, almost no units in Birthright are tanky. And Hayato starts at level 1... I'm not seeing what about him makes him better. And Azama's pretty much redundant when I already have two other staffers by the time he joins (even though admittedly, he can be a pretty durable unit with investment).

bro you just said what makes him better than other staff users you have another staff user but you don't have any tanky units really outside of oboro and azama doubles as a staff user and tank and he can also do good damage too