FE playable charaters that you like/hate that everyone else likes/hates

Don't worry, Ana- I don't have a strong understanding of the character, but from what I have, I know where you're coming from- Frederick is a representation of our condition that's more realistic and less annoying than the more famous representatives of it (such as Big Bang Theory's Sheldon).

And as for Harvey (tag didn't work), I think I vaguely recall someone mentioning Garon or some villain somewhere in there, so it didn't occur to me we were meant to be discussing playables. Ah well, with Heroes, we can certainly get that cast to open up (with Reinhardt's popularity, I'm sure they're probably going to wind up getting Ishtar some spotlight).

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Book Bro said:

So, I know a lot of people have moved on from SoV but some of us are still playing it. Given that it's only a few months old things like these should still be spoiler tagged.

Ah sorry about that. Just fixed it!

Characters that I like but others dislike:

Clive: While he is very far from a good unit, I personally enjoyed him as a character. While many in-game characters adore him as a fantastic knight of Zofia, Clive admits he is no perfect leader and knight. I also like how he is willing to give common folk a chance within the Deliverance as demonstrated with Forsyth, Python, and Alm + his villager friends, and while he still believes in a clear distinction between nobles and commoners, he admits he can't fully relate to commoners and is thus prone to getting his view mixed up. Just the way Clive admits his flaws makes him feel pretty human IMO.

Python: Python had the best dialogue in the game IMO. Almost anything he said made me smile or even laugh at times. Yes, that includes those times when he is sarcastic or snarky. I also love the dynamic he has with Forsyth. The two have contrasting personalities (Python is very laid-back while Forsyth is an energetic go-getter), but they mesh together really well. It was great to see Python becoming a more fleshed out character thanks to those DLC support conversations expanding on his worldview on different matters. I'll even admit I do relate to Python's laziness to some extent (there are times when I want to live my life at my own pace and not worry about something important in the future unless it's forced upon me just like how Python tends to behave). I also found Python to be one of my better units despite what others says. Perhaps it's because I was RNG blessed and he carried an Iron Bow for most of my playthrough until he promoted, but he never really held me down in my battle.

Hinoka: I too admit that Hinoka really suffers from how forgotten she was in the story, but I did enjoy what we learn of her through supports. Her struggles into becoming the pegasus knight she is now made her sympathetic in my eyes. I can relate to the whole "impatience-on-not-getting-results-right-away" mentality Hinoka had while training to become a pegasus warrior. I'm also one of those people that finds it sweet that Hinoka became a Pegasus Knight just to bring back Corrin. Her devotion to Corrin meant she doesn't care for her younger siblings as much as she should, which is a flaw, but I liked how she admitted that flaw of hers in her supports with Azura. In all honesty, I enjoyed almost all of her supports except for the one with Saizo (that one I agree was pretty bad). 

Vaike: I notice that a lot of fans hate him because of his massive ego, and while I can see why this is an issue for many, I still enjoyed Vaike a lot. I found the way he calls himself "Teach" to be rather funny. His energetic attitude, his sweet backstory, and the way he bonds with Chrom are other aspects to him that I like. Vaike also made a decent Berserker in one of my Awakening playthroughs.

Characters that I dislike but others like:

Kaze: I found him bland character-wise. There were very few supports of his that I enjoyed. The rest just made me feel bored toward him. His reasoning for siding with Corrin in Conquest was also really stupid.

Keaton: It seems that a lot fans adore him character-wise because of how he behaves like a dog and talks about his garbage-obsession. As for me? I am not a fan of that gimmick. I didn't find it funny, and the fact almost all the majority of Keaton's supports revolve around his dog-behavior and/or his trash talk made him a boring character in my eyes. At least Keaton is a fantastic unit though: really high Strength and Defense stats (as well as passable Resistance if equipped with a Beastrune), along with good Speed, made him my best tank in my Conquest playthrough.

Velouria: What I said about Keaton applies to Velouria as well since her character isn't any different from her father.

Elise: The more I think about her nowadays, the more she annoys me. She acts like generic lollibait most of the time, and her stupidity in Conquest Chapter 8 angered me. I do enjoy her in Birthright though, because that route made her feel more like a genuine character by toning down those lolli-traits that Conquest likes to emphasize.

Camilla: Her obsession over Corrin creeps me out. The way how she's treated as the fan service character doesn't sit well with me either.

Characters that I don't like as much as others do.

Leo: He has some awesome moments in the story (i.e. his dialogue right before the battle in BR Chapter 18 and the way he executes Iago in BR/CQ), but other times, I found Leo rather... meh. Some of his supports were interesting, but the others didn't catch my attention that much. I also hated how he treats Forrest in that one Paralogue. Seriously, the way how Leo bashes his son and calls him a "disgrace" was a sickening sight, and what made it worse is that Leo's actions ultimately led to bandits capturing Forrest. I am glad that their Leo's relationship with his best improves for the better in their supports though. Unit-wise, I never found Leo that great or useful, and the Brynhildr wasn't really that good compared to the other royal weapons (at least the tome looks cool). In all, I don't hate Leo, nor do I genuinely dislike him. I just don't like Leo as much as the majority of fans do. I'm indifferent to him at best.

I might add some more characters to either list later should they come to my mind.

Edited by Erureido

8 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Takumi: I hate Takumi. To me, he is like a poor mans Shinon, and I hated Shinon too. Overly antagonistic Archer that is just an asshole. Though I will give Takumi credit for having far more redeeming qualities. It wasnt even conquest that made me hate him. It was kind of made to make you not like him there, it was everything else. Him being just completely antagonistic to Corrin from the start for one.

I think you need to step in Takumi's shoes for a bit. Takumi is a teenager whose only knowledge or experience with Nohrians is that they murdered his father and continue to send monsters across the border. Even his subordinate fiercely hates Nohrians because her parents were killed by them. In short, he's been conditioned to think Nohrians can't be trusted and are malicious.

Next, some kid who is allegedly your sibling who has spent most of his life living in Nohr shows up. Takumi is slow to trust people and he never met Corrin, having only the word of Hinoka/Ryoma/Mikoto to go off of. To add onto this, Takumi has a lot of insecurities and this new kid shows up who people are treating him like a rockstar. Takumi makes some abrasive comments but it's not hard to understand why, given the above. 

Now, this guy that Takumi doesn't trust delivers a sword that is used to blow up the plaza, killing countless people including his mother. The player knows Corrin is innocent but to Takumi, it looks like another act of Nohrian treachery. Getting mad that your mom was murdered and pointing that rage at the first person who seems responsible seems like a human response to me. To top it all off, Takumi's suspicions are proven right if the player picks Conquest.

Thank you to whoever brought up Maribelle for reminding me that she is also one of my favorite Awakening characters, too! Sure, she does have some moments of classism, but she's always a well-meaning individual, I feel. Besides, Fernand retroactively makes Maribelle look like a saint in regards to the whole classism thing

I don't know how people actually feel about her but Meg is extremely adorable and I'm gonna baby and favoritism her up to endgame viability when I inevitably play through Radiant Dawn. Fiona, too, since she's got the coolest design of any Cavalier or Cavalier-adjacent unit in the series, IMO.

I like, but everyone hates:

Kris: Sure, complain all you want about everyone kissing his butt and stealing Jagen's lines, but Robin and Corrin are also treated as perfect characters, especially Corrin. Kris, however, trained to become strong and was just another regular class-using soldier, unlike Robin and Corn Man who have their own exclusive classes. I also like the fact that he focuses more on protecting Marth than having a romantic relationship with someone, thus preventing Waifu Emblem before it was invented.

Faye: Yeah, she's obsessed with Alm, but I like her. I can't bring myself to hate her.

I hate but everyone likes:

Nino: From a gameplay standpoint only. I like her character though. People say she's way better than Erk and Pent but the truth is she's less practical. By the time you recruit her, there are only a few chapters remaining in the game, even lesser in Eliwood mode. Also, I like Erk better in both personality and character.

Cordelia: Overrated to me. I benched her as soon as I got her.

Nowi: "Hey Stahl, want to start a relationship?" "I don't want to go to jail!"

Tharja: Creepy yandere stalker. I dislike creeps, I despise yanderes, and I hate stalkers. Also, she's Lusamine-levels of child abusive.

Edited by Purple Mage

6 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I think you need to step in Takumi's shoes for a bit. Takumi is a teenager whose only knowledge or experience with Nohrians is that they murdered his father and continue to send monsters across the border. Even his subordinate fiercely hates Nohrians because her parents were killed by them. In short, he's been conditioned to think Nohrians can't be trusted and are malicious.

Next, some kid who is allegedly your sibling who has spent most of his life living in Nohr shows up. Takumi is slow to trust people and he never met Corrin, having only the word of Hinoka/Ryoma/Mikoto to go off of. To add onto this, Takumi has a lot of insecurities and this new kid shows up who people are treating him like a rockstar. Takumi makes some abrasive comments but it's not hard to understand why, given the above. 

Now, this guy that Takumi doesn't trust delivers a sword that is used to blow up the plaza, killing countless people including his mother. The player knows Corrin is innocent but to Takumi, it looks like another act of Nohrian treachery. Getting mad that your mom was murdered and pointing that rage at the first person who seems responsible seems like a human response to me. To top it all off, Takumi's suspicions are proven right if the player picks Conquest.

I completely get it, sure. Never said I didn't. Hell, his hatred of Corrin after Chapter 6 when you choose Nohr is completely justified, and watching your mother die is probably quite traumatic, especially for someone like him. His issues with Corrin make sense with those context, but I do think he was a little too aggressive at first. There is a difference between being abbrasive and having some trust issues with someone, and being a complete dick to them. Takumi was the latter. So I completely understand the character, and get why people like him. Especially since he is arguably one of the best written characters of Fates.

Still doesn't mean I have to like his spoiled little royal ass.

I really cannot explain why I have such an irrational hatred for this character, but it really does reach just below Joffrey Baratheon/Ramsey Bolton levels of hatred. (Game of Thrones if you don't know)

But in a way that's almost a complement, because the thing with those characters is a love to hate them. It's the same with Takumi, I don't know what it is with him, but I just love to hate him. I love to be able to whip his ass in Conquest. I love to fight him in Heroes, and I cannot wait to fight him in Warriors. I really cannot explain it. But that is the way it is for me. I will say Conquest did cause that a bit. While his anger was understandable, he was just such a little cocky, smug little bastard. I hate cocky and smug characters. So that definitely didn't help. 

So it's not anything about needing to understand the character. I already do. It still doesn't change the fact he is a character I love to hate on and use as a punching bag. 

Edited by Tolvir

20 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

So it's not anything about needing to understand the character. I already do. It still doesn't change the fact he is a character I love to hate on and use as a punching bag. 

No bully! This is a pineapple safezone!

Well, I doubt I will convince you otherwise but I think the fact that Takumi mellows out in Birthright and Revelation (I think even Azura comments that Takumi was never cruel to her before) is proof enough that he's just slow to adapt to new people but isn't a bad guy at heart. Conquest is especially bad towards Takumi because it continues to frame him as the bad guy for hating Corrin, even though Corrin betrayed his family and homeland. It seems the emotional manipulation the writers pulled was quite effective (even I thought Takumi was annoying in that route).

btw should Camilla and Tharja be placed in the "I hate but others like" category?

Because it seems like almost everyone here hates.

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

No bully! This is a pineapple safezone!

Well, I doubt I will convince you otherwise but I think the fact that Takumi mellows out in Birthright and Revelation (I think even Azura comments that Takumi was never cruel to her before) is proof enough that he's just slow to adapt to new people but isn't a bad guy at heart. Conquest is especially bad towards Takumi because it continues to frame him as the bad guy for hating Corrin, even though Corrin betrayed his family and homeland. It seems the emotional manipulation the writers pulled was quite effective (even I thought Takumi was annoying in that route).

Definitely, he does mellow out a bit in Rev and Birthright. He is slow to adapt and has issues with any kind of change. I do think he is a bit spoiled in a way, like a mama's boy type kid. Its one of those impressions I got from playing all 3 routes and reading his supports, he seems like that one that was possibly coddled too long by mom types. 

It's just his status as love to hate due to Conquest has stuck with him, probably due to it being the first route I went through. First impressions and all. I think I need to rephrase my opinions of him. It's not that I hate the character and thing he was terrible. Quite the opposite, he was a great character. He is just one I love to hate. I just posted it here because I might be the only person I know of that thinks of him this way. Most either like him or just absolutely hate him and wish he would just go away. 

A character I hate that everyone round here seems to like is Ike. Yep, that Ike, I gave my reasoning in my analysis of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn's story.

Another character that everyone round here seems to give glowing praise to that I find to be the most grating annoyance in the entire series is Owain/Odin. His over the top mannerisms aren't endearing to me, no matter what his reasoning is, he seems to be an annoyance and in my opinion should be the character in the entire series that should stay as far as possible for a battlefield.

A character that I like that so many people in the fandom seem to hate? Faye. She's just someone with an unrequited crush on Alm. Guess who else has an unrequited crush on someone else but is liked? Leon. Both of Leon's supports are Valbar centric. The man focuses on Valbar as pretty much his entire world and just like Faye, accepts that he's not going to be able to marry his lover. So why does Faye get hated? Why is she considered a Yandere? I don't know, because all I see is a girl who can't get someone that's their crush out of their head, which would be pretty difficult considering said crush went off to become king. You generally do not forget who your king is.

On 2017-07-23 at 4:14 AM, Armagon said:
  • Faye. People hate Faye because her thing is that she's madly in love with Alm and......that's it. 

That is a grievous misinterpretation of people's arguments, and I believe you know that, seeing how often you defend Shadows of Valentia from any and all criticism. 

The problem most people have with Faye isn't that she's in love with Alm. The problem is that she's a new addition to the cast in love with someone we know will get another girl and there was already a second girl who pined for him in the beginning. In addition to that, Faye remains static, undeveloped, uninteresting and generally acts in a way that doesn't sit well with people, culminating in an epilogue that left a bad taste in many people's mouths. All this contributes to feeling that she was an unnecessary addition to the remake.

You're free to like Faye as much as you want, but you should know better than to deliberately misconstrue other people's opinions.

36 minutes ago, Thran Starcrod said:

A character that I like that so many people in the fandom seem to hate? Faye. She's just someone with an unrequited crush on Alm. Guess who else has an unrequited crush on someone else but is liked? Leon. Both of Leon's supports are Valbar centric. The man focuses on Valbar as pretty much his entire world and just like Faye, accepts that he's not going to be able to marry his lover. So why does Faye get hated? Why is she considered a Yandere? I don't know, because all I see is a girl who can't get someone that's their crush out of their head, which would be pretty difficult considering said crush went off to become king. You generally do not forget who your king is.

Because Leon respects Valbar's boundaries. He brings it up, talks about it, and then moves on. In addition to that, there is more focus on Leon's other traits and even a little bit about his past. Had they bothered to focus more on Faye's longing for a simple, peaceful life and other sides of her character, people's opinion of her would've been drastically different, I'm sure. Instead, we end up with her epilogue, showing that Faye remains the same as when the game began, with us barely knowing a thing about her.

The tone of their supports are also like night and day. Where Faye says she'll go slay people in Alm's name with a smile on her lips, and freaking out over him having eaten her leftover bread, Leon discusses Valbar's past and is impressed that he's got the strength to keep on fighting the good fight. Which conversation do you think feels the most natural?

I should also point out that Leon is considered a lot more funny, which always helps. Even completely removing Valbar and Alm from the picture, Leon has lines that make him stick out in a positive way. Faye would be left essentially only with Silque's support, which many consider to be the worst in the game.

2 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Because it seems like almost everyone here hates.

That's the problem with the premise of this thread. Sure, Camilla and Tharja are popular in general, but if you make a thread like this on Serenes, where they most certainly are not, then you're all but creating an echo chamber where people spout the same opinions over and over again. 

Edited by Thane

>looks at thread title

>looks at Thane's signature

That reminds me, aren't there a lot of people who complain about every game having dragons or dragon gods in them? I'm actually fine with that. What's everyone else's problem with it?

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

That is a grievous misinterpretation of people's arguments, and I believe you know that, seeing as how often you defend Shadows of Valentia from any and all criticism. 

The problem most people have with Faye isn't that she's in love with Alm. The problem is that she's a new addition to the cast in love with someone we know will get another girl and there was already a second girl who pined for him in the beginning. In addition to that, Faye remains static, undeveloped, uninteresting and generally acts in a way that doesn't sit well with people, culminating in an epilogue that left a bad taste in many people's mouths. All this contributes to feeling that she was an unnecessary addition to the remake.

You're free to like Faye as much as you want, but you should know better than to deliberately misconstrue other people's opinions.

What i said was the basic gist. I've seen plenty of people hate Faye because her entire character revolves around Alm. I'm not entirely wrong here.

29 minutes ago, Thran Starcrod said:

I wouldn't really compare Faye to Leon. If anything, i'd compare Faye to Marisha, but i don't know what the general opinion on Marisha is.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What i said was the basic gist. I've seen plenty of people hate Faye because her entire character revolves around Alm. I'm not entirely wrong here.

So rather than addressing proper arguments, you misconstrue them because they give you the quick version of the issues they have with Faye?

19 minutes ago, Thane said:

So rather than addressing proper arguments, you misconstrue them because they give you the quick version of the issues they have with Faye?

I'm not misconstruing anything though. I'm just going off of what i have seen people say about Faye. If anything, blame them for giving me the "quick version". Besides, that's what the Faye issues basically boil down to anyway. So again, i'm not wrong. Heck, i even addressed some things too

On 7/22/2017 at 10:14 PM, Armagon said:

While her obsession with Alm can lead her to be rude with other people, she's capable of recognizing that, and apologizing.

On 7/22/2017 at 10:14 PM, Armagon said:

When Alm rejects her, she takes it reasonably. Heck, she knew from the start that she and Alm just wouldn't work out. The only remotely obsessional thing about Faye is that she said she would kill in Alm's name but it's implied that's an effect that the war had on her. Faye's also good friends with the rest of the Ram Villagers, Celica, and eventually Silque, something that a lot of people just seem to miss (probably because Echoes is questionably missing some Supports. Like, remind me again why Faye is the only Ram Villager who can Support with Alm).

Honestly Thane, i feel like you antagonize me too much (i don't know if that's the right word to use but whatever). You're literally the only person who ever calls me out whenever i defend some part of Echoes, and it's usually brought up as if it were a bad thing. It always boils down too "there are people who don't like this or that part of the game so you shouldn't argue or try to convince them to change their mind." But that's how arguments work. You try to get the other person to see your point of view (which is admittedly something that never happens 99% of the time on the Internet). If people have issues with Faye or some other part of Echoes, fine. Whatever. That doesn't mean i have to agree with them. That doesn't mean i can't argue my point of view.

Maybe i'm misinterpreting this whole thing but this is how i feel.

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm not misconstruing anything though. I'm just going off of what i have seen people say about Faye. If anything, blame them for giving me the "quick version". Besides, that's what the Faye issues basically boil down to anyway. So again, i'm not wrong. Heck, i even addressed some things too

Faye. People hate Faye because her thing is that she's madly in love with Alm and......that's it.

I'm not going to blame others for how you construct your arguments or that you willfully ignore theirs. 

Honestly Thane, i feel like you antagonize me too much

But that's how arguments work.

It might be because of how you keep expressing yourself. You try telling me how arguments work, but you don't even take other points of view into consideration yourself, as shown above. You've spent so much time defending Faye here that you should know better by now, and when I confront you about it, you say "well, I'm not technically wrong".

If I come across as too harsh, I do apologize, but can you seriously tell me I don't have a point here?

1 hour ago, Gruntagen said:

That reminds me, aren't there a lot of people who complain about every game having dragons or dragon gods in them? I'm actually fine with that. What's everyone else's problem with it?

Because, in essence, it feels like they've just remade the first plot a dozen times now with too few variations. Evil dragons also feel like an excuse for the heroes to band together, rather than making it feel like an organic, natural effort from the protagonists' side. I believe one of the reasons why Path of Radiance is often so praised for its story is that not only didn't it do too many things wrong, but it also offered something the series hadn't really had up to that point.

I consider "wanting to destroy the world" to be the laziest excuse for a villain possible, and practically everyone guilty of having that as a final goal ends up being less interesting as a result, since there's nothing to really connect to. This can be subverted, of course, and it can be done to varying degrees of success, but more often than not, it's just plain boring.

As always, Yugioh Abridged has a scene for this:

Spoiler

Edited by Thane

Oh another character that I really like that everyone seems to hate is Awakening!Tiki. Imagine you spend a lot of time asleep, and you have to come to terms with the fact that all of your friends die. While you keep going, everyone you ever cared about, all of your friends, all of the people you fall in love with grow old and die. You'd be a little distant as well. But as seen with Male Robin, she admits that the memories she forms with said people make her very long life worth living. It happens during her confession, but still.

1 minute ago, Gruntagen said:

....Alright then?

If you're going to cite sources that people will probably yell at you for using, I might as well bring up the Plinkett Reviews saying how people want "the same shit they got last time" and use that as my counter-argument. Or something, I don't know, I have the intellectual maturity of an edgy 14-year-old and I'm so terrified of doing new things that my iPhone has a tab of both Yu Yu Hakusho's anime and manga on it that I haven't touched for two whole weeks.

What?

I HAVE AUTISM AND I AM STUPID AND I AM GOING OFF TOPIC BECAUSE I HAVE AUTISM AND AM STUPID.

THERE IS NO POINT TO THIS CONVERSATION, I'M JUST BEING REALLY FUCKING AUTISTIC. NOW ALLOW ME TO JUST DELETE EVERY SINGLE COMMENT I'VE MADE.

MIGHT AS WELL TRY BEING ON-TOPIC BY STATING THAT I HATE CORDELIA BECAUSE SHE SEEMS LIKE WAIFUBAIT

PLEASE HELP ME

Edited by Gruntagen

@NekoKnight, @Tolvir: I'm always happy to see when someone is aware that there is a difference between "character I don't like" and "badly written character". My prime example for a character that I consider to be well-written and that I still can't stand is unfortunately not a FE guy (it's Squall from FF8), but I think Tolvir's opinion of Shinon is about the same as my own.

Other than that, I neither hate nor love Ike. I think he's a pretty good stand-in character for the player in PoR, but less than ideally handled in RD, All in all, I think he's OK, nothing more, but nothing less.