Potential Tempest Bonus Units?

Zeo

So... the trials have resulted in many units that people love to use being maxed out on HM/SP. While some are mainstays like Nino, others you likely wouldn't use again.

I for example really want to sac this +SPD/-ATK Cain that I have, and I want to sac my Jagen once he maxes HM, but then I think about how hard it would have been without the Faye I had sitting in my barracks that I've wanted to get rid of for the longest and now I'm thinking twice. I also thought about giving my +DEF/-RES Athena (maxed HM) to my new +SPD/-RES Ogma for Wo Dao+, but then I thought what if there is a "New Mystery" Trial with her as a 40% Bonus unit? It's the same for Fates as I don't have Ryoma, pretty much a guaranteed bonus unit, but Takumi, Kagero and Sakura, at least one of which will be one if it's Birthright Fates.

So who are some units you think will become bonus units in future trials, and who are you second-guessing as SI fodder now that there's the possibility that they'll be someone you have to lug around for exclusive monthly rewards? I for one have no idea who will be on the "Mystery" trial. But I DO know that Marth is pretty much guaranteed, so I'll just be sitting here with my +SPD/RES or +ATK/-DEF Marth waiting to *5 him when it comes along so I can safely sac Caeda/Cain/Jagen/Abel or the like from that world.

Conversely I have no Hector, Lyn, Eliwood or Karel, so unless Matthew or Nino are bonus units I'm going to be royally screwed for an Elibe trial.

These trials have really made me re-think of how I look at units. Everyone will be regretting those Firs they sent home when a FE6 trial pops up and Fir's suddenly a 40% bonus unit. I have a Neutral *4 Fir waiting right here in my barracks in anticipation.

Edited by Zeo

I am only keeping units I like/use even if I think they might be bonus units later on.  I ended up with a great 5* Mae during the last tempest trial so sometimes I luck out. I am just going to keep decent units from each world and hope that they are tempest bonus units, because my barracks are getting full and there are only so many units that I want to train.  If I don't have any bonus units I will do a pull for them, but I bet I will have at lest one since I have units from every world in game and they seem to be going with units most people have at least one of.

For the eventual Archanea TT, I'm inclined to say that Young!Tiki has a pretty high chance of being one of the 40% bonus units alongside Marth. She is pretty popular and was on one of the first two banners, after all. What do you mean that I'm only saying this because I have a +Atk Young!Tiki who is raring to rack up Hero Merits, huh?

I also wouldn't sleep on Ninian's chances of being the fourth 40% bonus unit for an FE7 trial, the first three being the three lords of course. Too bad mine has long since maxed out on merits but it would make sense for her to fill that last spot, being a plot-crucial character and all.

honestly, I just hope whatever bonus units that appear in the 20% ones are easier to obtain... it seems so backwards to have to do summons with orbs just to get units that are 4 stars or higher and have them only be 20% I get echo units were new but some of them could of been 3 stars so people wouldnt have to resort to one of the 3 main units if they wanted to.

I always keep at least one of every unit, and only use them for skill fodder if I have a back-up available.  Even then, I think long and hard about using a unit for SI if they're my only back-up, since I might need them for another unit later.

I only started really sending units home much once I started hitting the cap on my barracks size.

3 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

I am only keeping units I like/use even if I think they might be bonus units later on.  I ended up with a great 5* Mae during the last tempest trial so sometimes I luck out. I am just going to keep decent units from each world and hope that they are tempest bonus units, because my barracks are getting full and there are only so many units that I want to train.  If I don't have any bonus units I will do a pull for them, but I bet I will have at lest one since I have units from every world in game and they seem to be going with units most people have at least one of.

21 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I always keep at least one of every unit, and only use them for skill fodder if I have a back-up available.  Even then, I think long and hard about using a unit for SI if they're my only back-up, since I might need them for another unit later.

I only started really sending units home much once I started hitting the cap on my barracks size.

I highly recommend spending orbs on expanding your Barracks. 1 Orb for 5 spaces is dirt cheap. Investing 1 Orb to protect an investment costing 20-25 Orbs saves Orbs in the long run since you do not need to use more Orbs to summon skill fodder. Without that 1 Orb investment, you are essentially trading 20-25 Orbs for 1,500 Feathers (usually much less) which is a huge ripoff in my opinion.

I threw away countless Barsts, Selenas, and Shanas before they expanded the Barracks recently. I had a shortage of Desperation and Reposition for a while because Special, A Passive, Quick Riposte, and Breaker fodder already took up a huge amount of space.

Edited by XRay

I already expanded my barracks to maximum and I am running low on space, plus I keep getting the same units over and over when I pull so I have started to just keep and use who I like.

Just now, EricaofRenais said:

I already expanded my barracks to maximum and I am running low on space, plus I keep getting the same units over and over when I pull so I have started to just keep and use who I like.

All 1,000 spaces?

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

I highly recommend spending orbs on expanding your Barracks. 1 Orb for 5 spaces is dirt cheap. Investing 1 Orb to protect an investment costing 20-25 Orbs saves Orbs in the long run since you do not need to use more Orbs to summon skill fodder. Without that 1 Orb investment, you are essentially trading 20-25 Orbs for 1,500 Feathers (usually much less) which is a huge ripoff in my opinion.

I threw away countless Barsts, Selenas, and Shanas before they expanded the Barracks recently. I had a shortage of Desperation and Reposition for a while because Special, A Passive, Quick Riposte, and Breaker fodder already took up a huge amount of space.

I had mine up to 500, now it's up to 540.  I like to keep lots of back-ups.

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

All 1,000 spaces?

Sorry I mixed up the castle and the barracks.  Now that I know I can expand it more I will be keeping my units again.

18 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I had mine up to 500, now it's up to 540.  I like to keep lots of back-ups.

Ah I see. The only units I have sent home recently are 3* healers, Bartre, and Beruka since they have no skills I need and I got most of their ideal natures. I sent home a few Gordins as well since I already gave all my good archers the normal Brave Bow already. I kept everyone else though.

Edited by XRay

As a F2P player, I haven't had a huge issue with space in the barracks. Many characters are ground up for SI and there are a fair chunk of characters with bad SI (I'm talking Defiant Res tier bad) that I can send home.

Concerning the OP, I always keep at least one of each character I get unless they have high demand skills (respect to the fallen Hinatas and Adult Tikis who made this army possible). It's not going to be easy to predict what will be bonus units. You might as well cover all your bases.

I think I'm the same as the majority here. I try to keep at least one of every unit even if I really, really, REALLY want to use them for SI fodder. I don't want to regret not having someone later. Plus I like collecting. My goal is to get at least one copy of each character eventually. As of right now, I'm missing 18 (excluding seasonal units). And 5 of those are the brand new units. I'd do more pulls, but I considered myself lucky to get my Leons. I'll wait until they inevitable get more banners to pull.

As for predictions...for an Archanea Tempest, Marth's a given. I'd probably put Merric, Caeda, and Jagen in there too perhaps. I feel like Ogma would have a pretty good chance of being a bonus unit as well. For old Elibe, I feel like Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, and Ninian would be pretty logical choices. If IS is nice, they might let Nino be at least a 20% bonus unit. For baby Elibe, Roy and Lilina make sense. Perhaps Cecilia... I'm not sure about a 4th. I'm having a brain fart. They could probably do two Fates Tempests with the royals plus Corrins.  I don't think we have enough characters from the other games to get a Tempest theme quite yet. Tellius MIGHT have enough, but I feel like IS should give us one more banner before they get a Tempest.

I just keep one of every unit, personally, but then, I like to collect.

The obvious ones that shouldn't be are the GHB units. I don't think they appear in TT at all, even as units you go against.

I'm worried about the next Echoes one, though. I was only able to pull one unit, so I'm really hopeful he's a 40% one. It's not through lack of trying!

Just like many others, I always keep one of each unit. I like collecting (not that I'll get evryone as a F2P) and you never know when you'll need someone for quests or other stuff.

With my current roster, I'm pretty sure I'll have a 40% unit for anything other then another Echoes TT, but you never know for sure who they'll pick.

I'd advice people to always keep at least one copy of main characters for this. 20% aren't to big a deal, as you'll always have the Askr trio if all else fails.

8 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I don't use a unit for fodder until I have three copies: one to keep and one set aside in case it turns out someone else needs the fodder urgently at a later date.

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Same but i also started expending my barrack recently.

I used to be on the "Completionist" mindset" but as of late I find myself keeping my barracks numbers low. I recently purged (sent home) a lot of units from my roster, sending perhaps 40-60 heroes home out of the 190 or so I had.

The reason for this is because realistically, I will never be able to put the time and effort on raising all of these units. I can always pull these units again later down the line making saving for SI (outside a few exceptions) mostly irrelevant. Why should I wait around for an uncertain period of time to obtain a hero who wants the skills when I can make use of the "retired feathers" now?

Essentially, I now play heroes for "super optimization," only using characters with useful natures or those I highly favor. Even though I like most of the characters in Fire Emblem, there is no way for me to properly build them all with the time and budget I have. Using Healers as an example, I am narrowing mine down to just Azama and Clarine (with Elise if I can ever pull one), even though I would also love to have Sakura, Genny, Lissa, and Priscilla around. Azama serves as my "tanky infantry healer," Clarine is my general "mounted healer," while Elise is planned to be a "Combat Healer" with Wrathful Staff.
As for potential Tempest bonus units, I just work with what I have these days. I find Tempest to be particularly draining despite the amazing rewards, so I just play it casually instead of grinding up points to obtain a shiny seal.

I'm mainly a collector so I want to get at least one of each unit anyway before inherit skill fodder. Also you never know how the metagame may change, so some useless skill fodder might be more useful later. That said I do find myself needing to expand my barracks more and more, even if I try to spend my units through skill inheritance. (Some though, like my multiple Arthurs I keep for later in case a GHB needs a Lancebreaker for a unit or I pull a unit that wants lancebreaker as a B skill)

As for Tempest Trial possible bonus units, it would be good to keep a 'lord' character for whenever their world is featured. I actually recently pulled a -Spd Roy and a +Def/-HP Lilina in the same session (a first for both characters in my main account), but I'll keep them both since I won't be sure which works better for a TT team in the future.

On 2017-07-24 at 4:14 AM, Cute Chao said:

I just keep one of every unit, personally, but then, I like to collect.

The obvious ones that shouldn't be are the GHB units. I don't think they appear in TT at all, even as units you go against.

I'm worried about the next Echoes one, though. I was only able to pull one unit, so I'm really hopeful he's a 40% one. It's not through lack of trying!

Wasnt female robin in the first tempest bonus unit tho? so im sure GHBs can be useable.

15 minutes ago, Thany said:

Wasnt female robin in the first tempest bonus unit tho? so im sure GHBs can be useable.

Yeah, she was (Male Robin was 40%) and back before we even knew the theme of the next Tempest it was thought they'd choose one with a GHB already.

As such, I kind of suspect that Berkut will be in the next Echoes one (assuming it is Echoes and also that Clive isn't a GHB).

We still need more to see if there's any real pattern beyond a lord in 40% (I dont ever see them deviating from this) and an askr in 20%, but I think if the game focused on the tempest has a GHB and/or a free daily unit, there's no reason not to include it. So FE6 Tempest could probably get Zephiel & Sophia, for example.

9 hours ago, Thany said:

Oh, whoops. Then no one can be assumed xD

I was only thinking of the 40 percent ones that needed to be pullable. I forgot 20 percent ones were there ><

I wish it was more like the first one where the 20% bonus units was characters you could've gotten for free. Lissa was daily rotation, Robin F was a GHB, Masked Marth from TT and Alfonse you start out with.

only had Sharena in my main account for the Echoes one so if they went mote the Awakening TT it would be great

1 hour ago, mcsilas said:

I wish it was more like the first one where the 20% bonus units was characters you could've gotten for free. Lissa was daily rotation, Robin F was a GHB, Masked Marth from TT and Alfonse you start out with.

only had Sharena in my main account for the Echoes one so if they went mote the Awakening TT it would be great

Whether they make all the 20% bonus units free or not doesn't really matter to much to me, since I'm pretty sure they will always include someone from the Askr trio. As long as you have one 20% bonus unit, more at best means it's easier to get more HM while also gaining points.

1 hour ago, Bartozio said:

Whether they make all the 20% bonus units free or not doesn't really matter to much to me, since I'm pretty sure they will always include someone from the Askr trio. As long as you have one 20% bonus unit, more at best means it's easier to get more HM while also gaining points.

But id also like the ability to have more variety to choose characters for as bonus units, those main lords arnt as strong as my other units can be, and my units dont work to well with only them. plus, it feels weird to have to do a draw to get a random hard unit for only 20% points when they make a banner just for 40%.