Recommendations for a Printer?

Flying Shogi

So our HP Officejet J4580 is acting up and it's not printing black so we might have to replace it. We've had it for a long time now so we might just get a new one if can't be fixed. Ideally, we would like a printer of a similar size(on the smaller side if possible) that can copy and scan. It'd be great if can print wirelessly too but that's not necessary. Main point is that we want it to last. We also don't print often so we're not too worried about ink consumption but I'm not going to say no to it if it's a built-in function.There are a lot of options on Amazon but I don't know much about printers so if anyone has suggestions, do let me know. 

I had an HP for about 5 years before it gave out and to be honest I abused the hell out of it.  I think it was an older OfficeJet than the one you said.  I'm currently using a cheap Epson one now I got at Best Buy for about 60-75 dollars.

Can your Epson scan documents as well? Been looking at this one as it can copy, scan, fax and it can print wirelessly and it only goes for $45.5

I do have to say that $45 is quite cheap for a printer. Do they usually go that cheap? Its reviews are quite varied.

This one looks pretty good and it seems like it's easy to set up but this is the first time I've seen a 4 slot ink cartridge printer and honestly it makes me a little nervous but I'll figure it out. 

Edited by tobuShogi

On 7/26/2017 at 0:31 AM, tobuShogi said:

Can your Epson scan documents as well? Been looking at this one as it can copy, scan, fax and it can print wirelessly and it only goes for $45.5

I do have to say that $45 is quite cheap for a printer. Do they usually go that cheap? Its reviews are quite varied.

This one looks pretty good and it seems like it's easy to set up but this is the first time I've seen a 4 slot ink cartridge printer and honestly it makes me a little nervous but I'll figure it out. 

Yeah it does all of that just fine.  Although if I had one complaint its that sometimes I have to hold down the flap on whatever I'm scanning for it to fully come through but thats because the flap is pretty light and thin.  Print quality is just fine as well works reliably does what I need to. 

As for the first printer that does seem a bit cheap...mine was around $75 iirc.  One of the first negative reviews I saw said it overheats might be best to avoid.  Between those two I would go for the HP one. 

This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-XP-640-Expression-Premium-Wireless/dp/B01J7H8HP6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Edited by LordOTaco

I have never owned a printer that worked when I wanted it to.  Printers suck.  These tips might be more important than the printer itself.  

http://machmachines.com/10-printer-maintenance-tips/

Most specifically, use a printer regularly.  It's better to waste paper and ink than it is to let your printer dry up or collect dust. 

If it's a wifi printer, only buy big brands because not all of them will be compatible with your router.

Edited by Lushen

We decided to go with a HP Envy 4520. It scans, copies, and is able to to fax as well. The Wifi set up was decently easy so I'm satisfied. I think we got lucky since we got it for $100 for a printer with such functionality. 

@Lushen Thank you for the printer tips. I think the reason why our old one stopped printing black because we rarely print. This printer have monthly calendar templates so that give me an excuse to print something to keep it running. 

Edited by tobuShogi