Predict Smash 5's roster

Ronnie

When Smash Bros. 5 for Switch becomes a thing, we can expect to see some more newcomers. Make some predictions to who'll be in the roster. Hell, even make predictions like Link getting his BotW outfit and finally ditching the TP clothes.

I predict Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be in alongside Shulk. I'll also predict a starter Pokémon or Ultra Beast from Sun and Ultra Sun.

But BotW Link has a whole buttload of outfits. lol And he doesn't get the classic green clothes without pulling a lot of strings either, so I'd rather just stick with TP Link or throw in SS Link for now.

I think the roster will be who we have now plus Inklings, maybe the next FE lord in place of Lucina or Roy (I'm sorry, but Sakurai would have to cut one of the FE characters for this. There would be far too many complaints of too many FE characters otherwise, and since Lucina is super cloney and was a last minute decision and Roy was just DLC who doesn't really bring anything new to the table, they have the highest chance of being cut, imo), and maybe Spring Man or Ribbon Girl from Arms. Oh, and the return of the Ice Climbers.

Dixie Kong seems like a good candidate for a newcomer too.

Edited by Anacybele

I agree with maybe having Links champion outfit as a costume, though I think sticking with TP Link will be fine, Rex maybe though I'd personally like Pyra more but very unlikely, make Lucina a Marth alt and put in either Anna or the new lord from FE Switch (I would say take out Corrin but people would hate me) I'd definitely want Ribbon Girl/ Spring Man in the game, Inklings should be a definite, Now personal picks: Impa, Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Fossil Fighter. I say no more Pokemon as gen 7 really didn't leave an impact on me, and definitely no more Mario unless they through in toad, waluigi, or daisy. Besides these guys, the people I wanted in smash 4 through the dlc contest most of them the time has passed (Sceptile, Gallade, Steve from Minecraft, Lana) though Dixie Kong is likely with a new DK game possibly in the future. Besides these few, the only characters smash is missing is 3rd party characters, and two of the main ones I'd love to see is Reiji Arisu and Xiamou, then maybe through in Haken Browning to represent SRW.

I've always liked Link's tp outfit the best and it fits his moveset very well so there's no need to change that. Since this thread is talking about predicting who will get in and not who I'd like in, these are the most logical choices to be added. The inklings are the obvious first choice to be added since Splatoon's been so successful. I don't think anyone from arms will be getting in, though- unless the game makes a ton of money in the next couple months. A Metroid villain would be nice to finally get, and I think that the main villain from the new prime game would be the logical choice to add. I'm honestly not sure what route Nintendo will go with Fire Emblem characters- if we get a new lord in FE Switch then there's a good chance that they'll be added, but who to drop from Fire Emblem's current roster in smash is a difficult question. It's unlikely that Lucina will be taken away just because of how popular of a character she is (same goes for robin), and Ike and Marth are series staples. Not to say that Roy and Corrin aren't popular characters- they have to be to make it into smash after all- but they're the most likely to go since they were only dlc additions in the first place. They'll probably return as dlc again. We'll probably get another addition to the roster from the Mario universe as usual. As for any other additions to the roster, it all depends on which franchises get attention from Nintendo and the fans in the coming years. We might get Wolf back as dlc, we'll probably get another Pokemon, and there will probably be a new character added form an older franchise- it could be anyone but I'm excited to see who they go with. The only other thing to tackle is third party characters. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another non-nintendo character added, and I'm really hoping for Snake to come back. That's about it.

My prediction depends on what "Smash 5" is going to be. It could be an enhanced Smash 4 port that keeps the gameplay the same but applies what is effectively a really big patch, or it can be a totally new game like each one to this point has been.

If the latter, I have no idea. There's way too much content to keep everyone around and add more, so there would likely need to be a lot of cuts.

If the former, everyone should stick around since they'd just be ported over instead of built from scratch. Removing them might actually be more work in such a situation than just keeping them in. As for newcomers, Inkling is basically a shoo-in, Ice Climbers and Wolf seem like safe enough returnees, but as for who else...Hard to say. I could see an Arms character getting in (most likely Spring Man, but hopefully Ribbon Girl). I want to say a DK newcomer has a good chance but I said that for Smash 4 and it didn't happen (I hope for Dixie, but it could also be K. Rool). I don't think we'd get another FE character unless the protagonist of FE Switch actually doesn't use a sword, and I really doubt we'd see any of Alm, Celica, Sharena, or Alfonse (or Liana or Rowan for that matter). There will be a new Pokemon since there always is, but who kind of depends on when the next gen launches: will it be in time to get a gen 8 Pokemon, or will we get a gen 7? If we do get a gen 7, I could see Decidueye. I do not think Ridley or another Xenoblade character will get in.

Note: This list will only contain potential newcomers. While it's unlikely, i'm going with the assumption that no one from the previous game is cut (because tbh, they can only go up from there)

I predict

• The entire Fire Emblem cast whoever the new FE Lord is.
  • Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Maybe Elma from Xenoblade X as well. Xenoblade is slowly gaining popularity after all.
  • Inklings from Splatoon. That's a really obvious choice.
  • Isaac from Golden Sun. He'll be pulling a Little Mac, going from Assist to Playable Character.
  • *Insert Gen 7 or eventually Gen 8 Pokemon here*
  • A character from ARMS.
  • One or both of the new characters from StarFox 2, to celebrate that game finally releasing.
  • Takamaru. He'll also pull a Little Mac.

And now for my personal picks

• Gunvolt. The Azure Striker Gunvolt series is my favorite Indie series (and by extension, Inti Creates is my favorite Indie developer). Gunvolt can really bring something new to the table with his Flashfield and tagging ability. The way it works is, the darts he shoots from his gun will stick to the target, allowing for Gunvolt to follow up with his Flashfield attack, which also works as a shield against explosives. He's also got some neat Skills, such as Astrasphere, Luxcalibur, Voltaic Chains, and Grand Strizer. He would also have his Prevasion, but that would be to be nerfed for game balance (Prevasion lets him negate all damage provided he has enough EP, and in his games, he can recharge his EP whenever he wants, and there's no limit to how often he can do it). His Final Smash would be Joule powering him up with Anthem. 
  • Azura. She's the best Fates girl, so she has to be in. Ok, in all seriousness, she'd be really nice being a Lance-Wielder who can also manipulate water. Her Final Smash would be summoning a massive tidal wave because Smash Bros.
  • Zoroark. My favorite Pokemon, i was really upset when he was just a Pokeball item. Sakurai, please make him an actual character.
  • Skull Kid. Majora's Mask being my 2nd favorite Zelda behind Breath of the Wild, i was also upset when Skull Kid turned out to be an Assist. I would rather have him be an actual character with him bringing down the Moon as his Final Smash.
  • Professor Layton. While he's a good fencer, i mainly want him to be there as a joke character, kinda like Phoenix Wright in Marvel vs Capcom.
1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

(I'm sorry, but Sakurai would have to cut one of the FE characters for this. There would be far too many complaints of too many FE characters otherwise, and since Lucina is super cloney and was a last minute decision and Roy was just DLC who doesn't really bring anything new to the table, they have the highest chance of being cut, imo)

Damn the complaints honestly. Though i wouldn't want Roy cut, as i'd be pretty upset if they brought him back as DLC just to cut him again.

1 hour ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Rex maybe though I'd personally like Pyra more but very unlikely,

Seeing as how Pyra is Rex's Blade, if Rex makes it into Smash, so will Pyra. She'd be involved in his moveset, that's for sure.

58 minutes ago, Eliza said:

who to drop from Fire Emblem's current roster in smash is a difficult question. It's unlikely that Lucina will be taken away just because of how popular of a character she is (same goes for robin), and Ike and Marth are series staples. Not to say that Roy and Corrin aren't popular characters- they have to be to make it into smash after all- but they're the most likely to go since they were only dlc additions in the first place. They'll probably return as dlc again.

I know i said this before, but it will really rub me the wrong way if they take out Roy (and Corrin) just to add them back in as DLC. Especially Roy, because that'd mean he's DLC twice. If anything, i see Lucina being cut because at least Roy and Corrin are distinct enough. Also

58 minutes ago, Eliza said:

Not to say that Roy and Corrin aren't popular characters- they have to be to make it into smash after all-

Nobody has to be popular to be in Smash. It helps their chances, yes, but it's not a guarantee. Look at Shulk. People barely knew who he was prior to Smash 4. But now, he's achieved meme status and Xenoblade will have three games by the end of the year. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Dixie Kong and K.Rool are very popular, but neither are in Smash.

Edited by Armagon

They'll probably add an inkling character finally, plus an ARMS rep. For the inkling, I envisioned ranged attacks simply dealing minor damage and cutting the movement stats of the victim for a short duration, but not dealing knockback on their own. Have the melee attacks be a mix of wimpy kicks, squid tackles, maybe some of the close range weapons like roller or paint brush. For ARMS, I hope they avoid doing Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, and instead put in Helix. He's very visually distinct for the ARMS and Smash rosters, he's got the low stance crawl, he can stretch up high for anti-air variations on moves, and is known to use the three most bizzarre arms in the game. If it was just ribbon girl, she's only known for three midair jumps. Okay, but a lot of smash characters have multiple jumps.

I predict more full-on skins for characters, as a way of getting more characters into the game without giving them individual mechanics and balancing. Mii fighters have skins, Alph is a skin, and Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario were skins before they thought clone character would be more interesting. Include some voice packs to complete the image, have the announcer say their name, maybe even make the skins in the game by default unlockable. Smash 4 was extremely light on unlockable content, and I'd rather something like full character rosters or custom moves be fully available from the start instead of character skins. They could even sell additional skins as DLC, a la mii costumes.

I don't think fans of Lucina would mind her being a skin of Marth. Same with Roy, though I'll admit the updates to Roy in Smash 4 were pretty major, they only made them to justify charging full price for what would otherwise have been a skin. Mega Man needs a Proto Man skin. Bowser needs a Dry Bowser skin. Sonic has some furry friends that should work as skins. Please more fans without putting in the work of making entirely new, justifiably different characters.

Edited by Gustavos

Just now, Armagon said:

Damn the complaints honestly. Though i wouldn't want Roy cut, as i'd be pretty upset if they brought him back as DLC just to cut him again.

I'd agree, damn the complaints, but they just get so freaking annoying...

Just now, Anacybele said:

I'd agree, damn the complaints, but they just get so freaking annoying...

Welcome to Smash, where people complain about literally everything. ZeRo won another tourney? Complain. Salem won two majors with Bayonetta? Complain. A person's most wanted character wasn't added in? Complain. *Insert character here* is considered bottom/low/mid/high/top-tier? Complain.

Just now, Armagon said:

Welcome to Smash, where people complain about literally everything. ZeRo won another tourney? Complain. Salem won two majors with Bayonetta? Complain. A person's most wanted character wasn't added in? Complain. *Insert character here* is considered bottom/low/mid/high/top-tier? Complain.

Yeah, but some complaints are a lot more common than others. I saw the FE complaint way too much.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Mmm, or join an actual Smash community where we talk about the game as it is and make the whiners feel like they don't belong. The only drama there is who's making waves at regionals.

11 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

I don't think fans of Lucina would mind her being a skin of Marth.

This, i see happening. Along with Dark Pit. Dr.Mario will remain his own character because Melee veteran status.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but some complaints are a lot more common than others. I saw the FE complaint way too much.

I saw the "too much swords" complaint way too much. Which is dumb, because swordies take up the least amount of slots in Smash 4. Also, what am i saying? There are no slots. Never say "x character stole y's spot" because no character has a reserved spot unless it's the Original 12 (the original 12 characters from Smash 64).

1 minute ago, Gustavos said:

Mmm, or join an actual Smash community where we talk about the game as it is and make the whiners feel like they don't belong. The only drama there is who's making waves at regionals.

I mean, yeah, i wasn't trying to make the Smash community look bad. There are good people there. But like, don't go on Twitter whenever Salem or ZeRo win a tourney now. Unless you're looking for the salt, in which case, always go on Twitter.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

unless it's the Original 12 (the original 12 characters from Smash 64).

They did almost cut Jiggs didn't they? Though they did back down from it.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  •  
  • Isaac from Golden Sun. He'll be pulling a Little Mac, going from Assist to Playable Character.

Mac at least had the Wii Punch Out game kinda going for him when Smash 4 came out, Issac doesn't have even that. And he isn't from the NES/G&W era either- so he doesn't fit the profile for a "Retroite" char exactly either. Though throw in AW's Andy (summoning AW units with every attack) and Nintendo could try carving a new non-NES Retroite niche out.

I wouldn't mind a Zhou Yu (with Yukimura Sanada as an alternate skin) as a little Ninty gift for KT's work with HW and FEW- the two are the pretty boy mascots for DW/SW, and they share a unique to Smash weapon type (Spear/Halberd). Add a Cao Cao/Nobunaga Oda Assist Trophy for more of both DW and SW coverage.

I think the Zelda series could use a "revolving flavor character of the month" so we can get the first expansion to the LoZ roster since Melee, or just give us Impa to complete the eternally reoccurring characters. 

Bandana Dee (well Waddle Dee is what they're called in the games- but calling them Bandana Dee distinguishes them from the generic ones) would offer a cute Kirby expansion with a spear as a weapon, thinking on uniqueness.

I would've liked a Codename Steam character (Henry Fleming would be the mascot choice- but nothing says he can't borrow things like the Lion Launcher and Penguin Lobber), but of course that game sold so bad, my new copy of the game was cheaper than buying it used.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

They did almost cut Jiggs didn't they? Though they did back down from it.

I don't know about Puff, but what i do know was that Ness was going to be cut in Melee and replaced with Lucas. But Mother 3 got delayed, so Ness stayed.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Mac at least had the Wii Punch Out game kinda going for him when Smash 4 came out, Issac doesn't have even that.

True but Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was on the DS and that was released a year after Punch Out Wii. Granted, i've heard Isaac doesn't really appear much in Golden Sun but hey, at least it's something.

An ideal list of FE characters in Smash 5 would be Marth, Roy, Ike and Robin. Robin's there for moveset variety. Link might stay in his classic green outfit. For Pokémon, I think Gen VII Pokémon will be added. We could have Andy from Advance Wars and/or Isaac from Golden Sun. Maybe some other third party characters too. A more-fitting Final Fantasy character would be way better than the most iconic. Maybe Cecil or Terra can replace Cloud.

I'm optimistic about the third party characters being back in but I wouldn't be surprised if Cloud gets the axe as Square Enix can be touchy with their licensing.  I suspect Bayonetta, Sonic, Pac Man, and MegaMan will stay though.

To be honest I'm not sure what more there is to add...off the top of my head here's who I can come up with I'm kinda scratching the bottom of the barrel though:

Isaac from Golden Sun

Ghirahim from LoZ SS as an additional villain beside Gannon

Samurai Goroh from F-zero or Black Shadow as the Villain from the series

Midna from LoZ TP (both adult and imp forms think down b transformation)

Krystal from Starfox (with the staff)

Inkling Boy and Girl (alts from Splatoon new IP).

Arms Character? (don't know how this would work tbh)

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

I saw the "too much swords" complaint way too much. Which is dumb, because swordies take up the least amount of slots in Smash 4. Also, what am i saying? There are no slots. Never say "x character stole y's spot" because no character has a reserved spot unless it's the Original 12 (the original 12 characters from Smash 64).

I've seen that one quite a bit too, but the most common one for Smash 4 was still about too many FE characters. Mainly because FE was the only franchise to get more than one newcomer other than Mario (Rosalina and Bowser Jr... It's Mario though, so nobody would complain as much about that one).

Inklings and Spring Man are assuredly going to be added. Being internally developed characters from breakout games, the only thing stopping them would be if someone at NCL wants them to be excluded. 

I'm going to assume that this will not be an enhanced port, and will be built from the ground up.

• A new Pokémon and Inkling which are pretty much guaranteed. A Rhythm Heaven character is also likely (being that the Chorus Kids were probably planned for Wii U/3DS). We don't know how popular ARMS will be in the future so it's too early to say on that front.
  • A new FE character could be added, but whether or not they're unique enough is the main factor.
  • No new characters from a "dead"/dormant series (veterans excepted, as are "retro" characters) or series without many plausible options (Yoshi), so newcomers from Earthbound, F-Zero, Golden Sun, etc. are unlikely. Characters that are not recent (for games with revolvings casts, like FE and Xenoblade) are also unlikely.
  • Probably no Japan exclusive characters, as Marth, Roy, and Lucas were all special exceptions (Also, Takamaru technically isn't Japan only anymore since his game was released internationally on the Virtual Console).
  • Series that could conceivably get new characters (aside from the above): Mario, Zelda, DK, and Kirby, depending on if Sakurai thinks that he could get something out of them. Star Fox could get Wolf back at most.
  • As for the veterans and cuts...
Spoiler
  • Everyone who made the jump from Melee to Brawl, and Brawl to Wii U/3DS, is probably safe. Jigglypuff was almost cut three times now, but she's also easily added so she's probably safe too.
  • Villager is from Animal Crossing, one of Nintendo's biggest series, definitely safe.
  • Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are both popular characters from a popular series, so they're both relatively safe. Jr. is probably less safe on account of being somewhat less popular and barely making it into Smash 4 to begin with.
  • Greninja was highly promoted in the anime and during Gen VI in general and is still quite popular, so probably safe. Is in a very similar position to how Lucario was during Smash 4's prerelease.
  • Robin and Corrin are unusual in that having one of them is very likely, but having both is less so. Awakening and Fates are both popular games and they're both unique so they both have qualifications, but Robin is slightly more likely since their game is the one that made Fire Emblem popular.
  • Kid Icarus hasn't gotten anything since Uprising, but it's still popular enough to warrant having two characters, so Palutena is safe.
  • Likewise, Punch-Out!! hasn't received anything since the Wii game, but it and Little Mac are still well known popular enough to be safe.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles is still going strong, and while it may not get any new characters, Shulk will stay due to being the first protagonist (like Marth).
  • Duck Hunt is a video game icon for better or worse and being old doesn't matter since they're already retro, so probably safe.
  • Of Smash 4's newcomers, Wii Fit Trainer is probably in the greatest danger, being that the Wii series seems to be over and that she was added partially for the novelty of being unexpected.
  • The third party characters are all popular and have valid reasons to stay, so mostly it depends on the whims of their respective companies.
  • The clones are special in that they're "extras" added at the end of development, so we can't really predict anything for them. Dark Pit and Lucina could be decloned too (and IS will push for the latter, most likely), but again it's hard to tell.
  • Aside from the above, Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy, being that they didn't make it into Smash 4's base game to begin with, could be cut again.
  • Also, the Ice Climbers could return if the console can handle them.
  • Note that this is all based on the amount of development time, so "unsafe" characters can stay and even "safe" characters can still be cut!

But most important is the climate of Nintendo and the gaming industry when development begins, as Brawl and Wii U/3DS had their rosters formed as soon as development began. As such, we can't get a concrete idea of how the roster will come together until it's announced.

49 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

• Series that could conceivably get new characters (aside from the above): Mario, Zelda, DK, and Kirby, depending on if Sakurai thinks that he could get something out of them. Star Fox could get Wolf back at most.

Why the confidence in Star Fox? There are currently no known plans for the series moving forward. The last Starfox game was very poorly received with some of the lowest critic scores we've seen on a first party nintendo title. The only new star fox game between brawl and Smash 4 was a 3DS remake, and it can be said that Star Fox Zero is just a remake of the same game. If we're surprised with a new game between now and Smash 5, then maybe it will have another a star fox rep, but that's the only scenario I can see where it's not just Fox and Falco.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that since this nerd is speculated to be an antagonist of Metroid Prime 4, I think he's the most likely pick for a third Metroid rep if they're looking to do one. But since we know next to nothing concrete about MP4 at the moment we can't put him in the safe or unsafe camp. Just put a pin on this guy for the day we know more.