Strongest Country?

Køkø

Which villainous country is the strongest?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Here

• Dolhr
    • Rigel
    • Archanea (Hardin's Reign)
    • Grandbell
    • Bern
    • Etruria
    • Grado
    • Begnion
    • Valm
    • Nohr

Poll time! So here's the question, which of the most powerful countries in their respective games would come out on top? Please leave a reason for the way you feel. I'm leaning towards Grandbell, with the Holy Weapons and whatnot. Is it fair to count the Loptyr cult and the Deadlords as part their army? I'm not sure. I haven't played Conquest and Birthright on Normal yet but judging by Hard mode, Nohr and Hoshido might be tied for 1st place here. Though Begnion has an actual God on their side... Let me know what you think, I'm bored.

By the way, are Nohr and Hoshido meant to be equals? The conflict is pretty one sided.....

Edited by Køkø

Grandbell, even though they ultimately fell to Seliph and friends, pretty much wound up with influence over almost the whole continent during FE4, from what I remember.

So them, I guess.

On 2017-07-25 at 10:03 AM, Glaceon Sage said:

Grandbell, even though they ultimately fell to Seliph and friends, pretty much wound up with influence over almost the whole continent during FE4, from what I remember.

So them, I guess.

Celice and friends were like 75% Grandbellian anyway. It was more of a reclamation type of thing. Though with respect to Alvis' Empire I agree - they held quite a clutch on pretty much the entire continent for such a long time.

I'd say the only empire/country even comparable is Valm - but Grandbell wins out for me.

Edited by Umbran Darros
hdu make me use the new names when i quoted you without thinking tbh

I'm leaning towards Begnion, actually. Grandbell won by assassinating Sigurd and steamrolling from there. Begnion were doing just fine on brute force alone, using other countries as pawns for no real reason other than 'we can, and they're there'.

I can only go with what I know.  I'm gonna say either Begnion or Valm.  Valm has massive amounts of knights and is known for...well being an empire.  Begnion is a large nation with the aforementioned god, holy relic weapons, and mostly competent generals leading their massive armies with enough to pretty much go toe to toe with all of the Laguz at once and outright beat them in alot of instances. 

Begnion, for longevity.  Grandbell had a larger sway, but it only lasted a bit over a decade, whereas Begnion did so for centuries.

Loptyr Empire if we're counting them even if it precedes FE4. Controlled the entirety of Jugdral under complete tyranny and oppression for two hundred years.

Edited by Tryhard

Its either Granbell or Begnion.

Begnion is enormous, has large political sway over its neighboring nations and both RD and the Tellius histories show that you pretty need all the other countries to band together in order to fight Begnion.

Grandbell ends up ruling the entire continent and they got seven legendary weapons in a setting where those weapons are even more legendary than usual. 

4 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Valm has massive amounts of knights and is known for...well being an empire.

I don't think Valm ranks pretty highly myself. The place seems very unstable. The moment Walhart seems weak lots of those knights will start to turn on him. Its probably got more to do with Awakening rushing through its story but Chrom and Co also didn't really needed to do that much to bring Valm down. Just 6 chapters I believe.

Valm is weak. It's united through Walhart and Walhart only - one of the strongest humans in the series, sure, but he's still only one man. It's rotten on the inside. 

Had the Valmese Empire stuck around for longer and Walhart weeded out dissent and created a more stable empire with fewer internal revolts, it would've been able to rank very highly though.

I'd say Begnion is the strongest country, myself. It was the dominant force on the continent for pretty much the entire history of Tellius.

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

Valm is weak. It's united through Walhart and Walhart only - one of the strongest humans in the series, sure, but he's still only one man. It's rotten on the inside. 

Had the Valmese Empire stuck around for longer and Walhart weeded out dissent and created a more stable empire with fewer internal revolts, it would've been able to rank very highly though.

I'd say Begnion is the strongest country, myself. It was the dominant force on the continent for pretty much the entire history of Tellius.

I have a suspicion that Walhart was deliberately based on Alexander the great. As such I don't think Walhart would ever managed to create an empire that could last without him.

He also has no wife(unless its Robin) and thus no heir. With his death the empire would likely go to the strongest...which would likely mean a civil war to decide just who the strongest is.

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

I have a suspicion that Walhart was deliberately based on Alexander the great. As such I don't think Walhart would ever managed to create an empire that could last without him.

He also has no wife(unless its Robin) and thus no heir. With his death the empire would likely go to the strongest...which would likely mean a civil war to decide just who the strongest is.

I'd say we don't have enough info to go on. Walhart was a dreamer and wanted to create everlasting peace no matter the cost; I think it's safe to say he had some kind of plans for the future, though died before he could realize them.

Never was Archanea under Marth mentioned. He and his descendants held down an entire continent for 1000 years, before Grima breached his prison in Thabes and managed to get 1/3 of the entire continent under his sway, and another split into two halves and became proud warrior dudes. I could also probably put the Kingdom of Valentia on there as well, at least until Grima's Escape. Of the ones listed I rank them as follows: Grannvale is the most encompasing, Bern has the most longevity, and Begnion had the most staying power. The others have pretty big weaknesses: Rigel could've easily erupted into civil war, Archanea and Dolhr were only able to rise because of Gharnef, Etruria would've collapsed into civil war if Elfin didn't have Roy behind him, Grado is a generation away from falling into the ocean, Valm is run by a one man army with no heir, and nobody talks about Fates' plot, thereby eliminating any clout Nohr could've had as an evil empire on its own merits.

Nohr. If you play Conquest, then you actually help them succeed in bringing the entire world under their tyrannical grasp. I can hear Corrin laughing evilly at our stupidity even now.

I'm saying Begnion, reason being they have General Zelgius leading their army (plus a god as said) but the main reason is the fact the other countries kinda suck. Though Begnions corrupt political structure could also apply to why their military is messed up with different allegiances.

Dolhr: Literally let the prince who was 14 and only had like 3-4 knights with him escape the country along with kidnapping his older sister instead of just killing them all in a surprise attack during the night as they were literally traitors inside the castle.

Rigel: Not so bad a country, but still lost to some villagers and basically got pushed out of the country they were invading by a few knights, one of royal blood who didn't know so, and quite literally a bunch of normal civilians

Archanaea: Also not a bad one but basically let the fire emblem be delivered to Marth immediately when the game begans so he knows shit is happening plus not killing him when all they had to do was accept Marth's invitation to talk or whatever, then isolate him from his army and kill him, then Medeus is free.

(Doesn't know anything about the Genealogy/Thracia countries so is skipping them)

Bern: Killed Hector, yet let an underleveled Roy somehow get all the way to the binding blade because they trust Narcian too much

(Doesn't recall Etruria so skipping that)

Grado: Invaded a kingdom yeah but then let the princess escape and let's not forget the prince behind enemy lines who is soloing entire castles with him and 3 other men.

Valm: Invasion attempt failed and were pushed back by an lower manned army plus lost valuable allies by letting a general march into a volcano. Then they didn't even think to use the Valentian Falchion at all whatsoever (speaking of which where is it?)

Nohr: As far as I know did nothing really bad except murder dancers (and the opera house in birthright, technically Hoshido attacked first and Nohr defended) and depending on the pathway, either invaded or got invaded due to Corrin.

4 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Loptyr Empire if we're counting them even if it precedes FE4. Controlled the entirety of Jugdral under complete tyranny and oppression for two hundred years.

Not to mention that after their comeback, which lasted another 15 years, every other territory(Not just the major kingdoms) was a military powerhouse ruled by superhumans who had dragon blood flowing through their veins. Damn near every territory on the continent besides Isaach and Silesse(And Manster after Leif's liberation) were under Loptyr/Grandbell's control by the end of FE4. And 4 of these kingdoms/dukedoms stand near head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to military strength(Thracia, Freege, Dozel and Velthomer), and those are the four most loyal kingdoms to Grandbell/Loptyr empire.

Good question. Firstly, Grado, Etruria, and Bern, while strong, aren't quite on par with the other nations for various reasons, most notably none of them managed to take control over the entire continent. Sure, being able to control a continent isn't exactly the definition of "strong" but it is a few points against them. Plus, they all seem to just be... nations. While they have exceptional sway over their continent, they've mostly just held the same territory for the past 800-1000 years or so, without much aim at conquest.

Dolhr and Grandbell are up there, but from what I understand, they seemed to have more a strong influence than actually being strong. I haven't played Jugdral, but from what I remember from Shadow Dragon, most of Dolhr's reign was won over with manipulation or hostage taking. For example, if Macedon was under a different ruler than Michaelis, they probably wouldn't have been swayed by Garnef, and by extension, wouldn't be allied with Dolhr and the empire would be far weaker.

I don't know enough about Archenea under Hardin and Begnion, so I can't make a proper opinion about them.

Nohr is strong, but its strength is understandably dependent of the route you pick. In Birthright, it's fairly weak, or at least average, I believe. It is stronger in Conquest, but far more tyrannical. And like the song predicts, "The black pillar cracks beneath its weight."

That leaves Valm and Rigel. I was initially going to vote for Valm, but like many here have said, Valm's strength comes only from Walhart. Sure he conquered the entire continent, but once he's dead, Valm will decent into anarchy as the various officials and generals compete for emperor. As such, I voted for Rigel. Yes, it fell to a bunch of villagers from peace loving Zofia, but, from my understanding of Gaiden's story, could it be argued that Emperor Rudolf intended for Rigel to fall so easily?

10 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

As such, I voted for Rigel. Yes, it fell to a bunch of villagers from peace loving Zofia, but, from my understanding of Gaiden's story, could it be argued that Emperor Rudolf intended for Rigel to fall so easily?

We'll never know, the game practically went against its own established worldbuilding. Based on what we know, Zofia was a broken mess of a country due to Rudolf, with droughts, famine, rampant bandit problems and a civil war, yet it still managed to beat back Rigel. Even if Rudolf discreetly helped out as much as he could - which we have no proof of - it doesn't change the fact that Rigel is probably the most pathetic villain country in the series in terms of the threat it poses.

I said Begnion.

They are a massive country with a massive army and major political influence over the other countries of Tellius. Also, a combined force of the other countries, including some of their own, were needed to take them out which is defiantly a testament to their strength as a country.

Grandbell and Thracia are close seconds and thirds (And BTW, where Thracia at on the list?).

13 minutes ago, Thane said:

We'll never know, the game practically went against its own established worldbuilding. Based on what we know, Zofia was a broken mess of a country due to Rudolf, with droughts, famine, rampant bandit problems and a civil war, yet it still managed to beat back Rigel. Even if Rudolf discreetly helped out as much as he could - which we have no proof of - it doesn't change the fact that Rigel is probably the most pathetic villain country in the series in terms of the threat it poses.

Fair enough. However, there still remains the possibility that Rudolf intentionally weakened Rigel (i.e. sent his best generals away during the Deliverance's invasion, etc.) in order for Alm to more easily win. Admittedly, I have not yet finished Echoes, so I'm not certain what all awaits me in Rigel Castle, and so anything that is found out there might change my opinion.

And of course, my belief of Rigel being the strongest is likely because I don't know enough about Begnion and Grandbell to make an accurate opinion.

1 minute ago, Rex Glacies said:

Fair enough. However, there still remains the possibility that Rudolf intentionally weakened Rigel (i.e. sent his best generals away during the Deliverance's invasion, etc.) in order for Alm to more easily win.

Yes, that's a possibility, but we can't confirm it. Hell we're even shown the contrary when both Jedah and Berkut get to go through with their plans for defending Rigel's borders.

However, even if Rudolf intentionally weakened Rigel, that doesn't change the fact that Zofia is probably one of the most weakened countries in the entire series when the game begins. Also, unlike in other games, Zofia pushes into Rigel immediately without needing allies - it's like if an even weaker Crimea managed to push back Daein without allies. 

Rigel is at the very bottom of this list based on what we see in game.

1 hour ago, Rex Glacies said:

Dolhr and Grandbell are up there, but from what I understand, they seemed to have more a strong influence than actually being strong. I haven't played Jugdral

For Grandbell, that definitely could be said for the end of FE4, but I wouldn't say they weren't strong then either. Regardless, the entire impetus for the story in Jugdral is that unchecked without the player characters influence, Grandbell would turn into Loptyr Empire Two: Electric Boogaloo, in which was ruled by a lineage of bishops called Galle, each possessed by Loptyr, who established the Empire, shortly after enacting "The Great Purge", killing over 100,000, which I can't imagine is an insignificant amount of the population of Jugdral, the Sorrow of Miletos, which sacrificed children to Loptyr and was the inspiration for later children hunts, and the Massacre of Edda, which killed more than 10,000 in the short span of each other in the iron-fisted rule of the entire continent (with a massive landmass like Jugdral) for two hundred years. Resistance was so futile that it relied on twelve crusaders and the intervention of what was called a miracle, the Miracle of Darna and the blessing of the dragon clans.

Hence why I would say the "old" Loptyr Empire, since they actually achieved total dominance unlike pretty much all other options. And Grandbell was trying to recreate that.

Edited by Tryhard

5 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

"Never was Archanea under Marth mentioned."

Let me clarify that this list compares the most powerful countries during the events of each game. Since Marth rules Archanea after FE3, I didn't put it on the list. Maybe I'll make a different poll in the future.

3 hours ago, Refa said:

Thracia isn't even on the list SMH.

ALL GLORY TO THRACIA

See first and last sentence of the above. I like Thracia too, so no hate. :P:

3 hours ago, Azz said:

"And BTW, where Thracia at on the list?"

See above.

Edited by Køkø