Addiction to one game in a series

Ronnie

Have you ever been addicted to a particular game in a series that you keep replaying it and end up neglecting or outright not finishing another game from that series? Say you're addicted to Uncharted 2 so you end up never touching Uncharted 3 for example.

For me I was addicted to Pokémon Sapphire as a kid and it took me years to finish FireRed lol. Same with Fire Emblem Awakening, played that game to hell and back and I still haven't beat Conquest or Sacred Stones.

Edited by Ronnie

Well, I've finished Lufia 1 a multiple times, but I can't get myself to finish the other ones in the series. 

It also kind of works opposite for me:

Final Fantasy 6 is one of my favourite games, but I just never could complete it because...I just never really wanted to. I was too attached to the characters that I didn't want the story to end, and constantly felt like as if I was missing something.

However, I've beaten Final Fantasy 4 and 5, without having those kind of feelings.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

24 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Well, I've finished Lufia 1 a multiple times, but I can't get myself to finish the other ones in the series. 

You refuse to play Lufia 2 [SNES]? YOU MADMAN!?!

The other Lufias though are pretty awful...all three of them.

I could arguably say the same about Shining Force 2...I love it to bits, and dislike most of the others. I never get around to playing Shining Force CD, and I'm kinda tired of SF1, but not sure if that counts.  Shining Soul got old fast and Shining Force EXO was stupid hack n slash that just isn't Shining Force.

Edited by Elieson

1 minute ago, Elieson said:

You refuse to play Lufia 2 [SNES]? YOU MADMAN!?!

Well, I don't really hate it, but I just don't like the main character Maxis and his:

Spoiler

future wife Selan. Especially when he friendzoned Tia.

Just now, Flee Fleet! said:

Well, I don't really hate it, but I just don't like the main character Maxis and his:

Hide contents

future wife Selan. Especially when he friendzoned Tia.

Maxim's really bland but the supporting cast is alright.  Just do what I do, and play the game for the Ancient Cave. I speedrun it professionally (lol like anyone can professionally do anything with that much rng)

Spoiler

and Dekar, because he's the true Hero of the story

V also shamelessly self-advertising the struggle V

Spoiler

08647eb70a.png

Breath of the Wild, since it came I've only tried to touch one other Zelda game, which was Skyward Sword, and noticing the improvements in graphics between the two (as I thought they had a similar art style) and relearning the control scheme just made me go back to Breath of the Wild more

Another example of this would be Project X Zone 2, since I've gotten it it's become my 3rd favorite game, it's at the point where I'm at the last chapter before endgame of my 3rd playthrough, and I still have a ways to go in Project X Zone 1, not to mention a Super Robot Wars game that continues the story of the main protagonists of the Namco x Capcom series (later evolved into Project X Zone) plus the lore of said game actually explains how crossovers happen between different worlds. (So based off this knowledge, Fire Emblem is linked to Freaking God Eater among other series)

I did that with Conquest to the point that I still haven't completed Birthright and I had the game since launch.

I also still haven't finished Pokemon Black, even though I've competed B2 over five times.

58 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Maxim's really bland but the supporting cast is alright.  Just do what I do, and play the game for the Ancient Cave. I speedrun it professionally (lol like anyone can professionally do anything with that much rng)

Reveal hidden contents

and Dekar, because he's the true Hero of the story

V also shamelessly self-advertising the struggle V

Reveal hidden contents

08647eb70a.png

I actually like Guy and Arty, so yeah. I forgot how the Ancient Cave was like. I read that there was like a 100 floors in it. There's actually a whole different mode for it right?

Spoiler

Dekar's pretty alright, but I hated his design in Ruins of Lore (which has really bad portraits of the characters anyways).

Does that ranking exist in game, or is that like something separate?

1 hour ago, Elieson said:

The other Lufias though are pretty awful...all three of them.

I actually really liked Lufia 3 but... It is not a game I would recommend. It needed actual dungeons to be a pretty cool GBC RPG. Not that randomly generated crap that is as random as like five patterns... God. I cannot forgive the dungeon "design" :/

How was the Lufia 2 remake?

Edited by MadJak91

for L2: There's a %Complete counter after the Credits roll, plus death counts and game time counters (for the game itself + the ancient cave)

it's a 100floor cave with enemies and chests that are randomized in appropriate intervals (so you're not fighting fricken Daegon on floor 2, but you're not getting Super Sword on floor 2 either). After completing the game, you can go right into it and pick whoever you want in (always got Maxim though) so rushing through with parties of your choice is actually really fun since you can beat it in various ways, and still keep your BlueChest stuff if you want it. No cheating with a Gades Blade upfront :P

4 minutes ago, MadJak91 said:

How was the Lufia 2 remake?

Nah, they didn't remake Lufia 2. That was just a bad dream that collectively touched the conscious of humans globally, simultaneously, in ways that can't be untouched.

Pokemon White. I managed to beat the game in 3 days and even after that I still played until I had the post game done, which took another 2 days. Also both Poke Parks. God they were fun.

I haven't actually experienced any game addictions since those games.

Fallout New Vegas is a game that I get cravings to replay several times a year. It's my weakness even though I've already seen most of what there is to see. Then Fallout 4 came out and I had to push myself over the course of a month to finish it, and trying not to play New Vegas instead.

Edited by Gustavos

I became basically obsessed with the original Castlevania a few years back after buying it on 3DS Virtual Console. It got to the point where I would play through it at least twice every day, one day I even looped through the game so many times that I maxed out the stage counter at 99. Even now it's still one of my go to games when I'm bored and I don't know what to play.

Rome total war. For some reasons the others games like Shogun 2 and Napoleon just did't do it for me, but Rome Total war is still a game I pick up from time to time. Either i'm more used to that game or its slightly more simple then the games that came after it.

Edited by Sasori

4 hours ago, The Baroness of Blainswal said:

I became basically obsessed with the original Castlevania a few years back after buying it on 3DS Virtual Console. It got to the point where I would play through it at least twice every day, one day I even looped through the game so many times that I maxed out the stage counter at 99. Even now it's still one of my go to games when I'm bored and I don't know what to play.

What is so addicting about that old game? (Haven't played it)

I used to be that way with Awakening, but fortunately I was able to get myself to play other games in the series. I can't say it has happened with any other franchise; most of the time if I get into a singular game I'll look to find other games in the series.

Roller Coaster Tycoon -  I was addicted to the first game and even played through all of the corkscrew follies scenarios (not so for loopy landscapes).... but with RC2, while it's probbably a good game, I think I quit right after doing intermediate levels, and for RC3 I only ever played the first two levels.

Worms- I had a friend try to push Worms 3D on me, and later after I started hanging out with retrogamers, the amiga etc versions were recomended (at some point I think I owned the DS and Wii version as well), but frankly, I played Armagedonn first, and no game in the series was ever worth bothering with afterward.

Metroid Prime- I've never actually played Echoes or Corruption all the way through although I've owned them both.

Ape Escape- I think I've played more Ape Escape: Pumped and Primed than anyone else in the world. I know it's a spin-off but I loved it to pieces. The only main game I ever played was 3, and even then I only did the bare minimum, for some reason never going for the time trials and alternative monkeys for 100%. Even more strange I've never owned Ape Escape 1 and 2. gives me something to do for backlog 2018

Grand Theft Auto - I originally purchased San Andreas entirely on the basis that it was the only PS2 GTA that mentioned the 2P mode on the box. I've thought about Vice and 3 sometimes (but never GTA 1-2, despite how highly Richie praises them) and I believe I played GTA 5 during some free weekend trial promotion. I don't see myself ever purchasing another GTA due to time-sink reasons, even though my time with San Andreas was overwhelmingly positive.

Burnout- I've been tempted by paradise box and takedown many times, but honestly after selling my copy of B1,  to this day tthe only Burnout game I ever put serious time into or got 100% in was Burnout 2. 

Maximo- Played original game and loved it. I hear good things about Army of Zin but I never really "got it". I rented it twice, first time quitting before the first boss and second time quitting after the second boss- always seemed flat and disapointing to me compared to original.

Jak and Dakter- I love the first one, I did play Jak 3 to 100% but it was at gunpoint and I refused to purchase the second game after finding out that it would be more like Jak 3 than Jak 1. 

Kirby- My first kirby game was Kirby 64. I did play the DS version of Superstar to 100% and Canvas Curse to 100%, but I find that whenever kirby comes to my mind, I always have bad things to say about it. I do consider playing the NES games, because I consider that to be where the series is probbably is at its strongest, but my negative association with 64 and Superstar have prevented me from ever doing so. Seeing  Epic Yarn,  Return to Dreamland and Ropopon in magazines, etc, was enough to safely warn me that I would not like them and hence I never purchased another Kirby game. Today the only Kirby game I can stand is Canvas Curse.

Mario and Luigi - Played through Superstar Saga, owned Partners in Time but abandoned it at some point before fininshing story. Never bought later games in series (paper jam, inside story, etc). They look like fun games and hopefully don't have the difficulty spikes / inflating enemy health that the first two games have. 

Majesty: Fantasy Kingdom Sim- one of my most played games of all time but for years I refused to play Majesty 2 and even when I did buy it at a yardsale I didn't really play it (as anyone who plays Maj2 without monster kingdom can attest). In fact I like Majesty 1 so much to this day that I still haven't played Dungeon Keeper (and refunded Evil Genius without getting to the second island). It kind of just looms over this whole subgenre imo.

Twisted Metal - The first twisted metal I played was Black-  and immediately I felt it was the best one. My first "car combat" games were the vigilante 8 series, but I did eventually generate an interest in PS1 classics, but frankly, I didn't find even TM 2 and Head On to have aged as well as vig 8, SF 2064, Battletanx, etc. as I felt the game play was inferior to so I didn't play through them with more than 1 charather apiece before returning the games.. I find MOST of the modern Twisted Metals to look good in principle, but due to no longer having the couch co-op partners I used too and a distrust of online, I've never even purchased any of them.

5 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Fallout New Vegas is a game that I get cravings to replay several times a year. It's my weakness even though I've already seen most of what there is to see. Then Fallout 4 came out and I had to push myself over the course of a month to finish it, and trying not to play New Vegas instead.

Oh man, I've beaten NV several times (one time even aiding Ceaser with a female character that had positive karma), but only have beaten 4 once.  I mean, the gunplay is tremendously better in 4 and the characters don't look like buttered potatoes in vanilla, but NV is still my favorite.  And while I'm talking about Bethesda games, I actually still like Oblivion more than Skyrim even though the game really shows its age these days.  Probably just nostalgia... though the Shivering Isles are always fun to return to.

Anyway, for the most part I have a lazer focus on any new game I grab and neglect to play any others for the most part.  I've told this story before, but when I first picked up Awakening, I simply couldn't put it down.  Breath of the Wild was another game I did this with up until I beat ol' Calamity 'Nando.  And I know Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear Online 2 (MGS4's multiplayer) were games I clocked hundreds of hours into.

What's really indicative of my obsession with a game is me going back to them.  These days I'm not going back to games as often as I used to since I have a disposable income and there are enough good games out there that I'm always busy recreationally.  Right now I'm trying to beat Revelation using strictly my favorite characters with limited grinding.  I also plan to some day go back to Valkyria Chronicles with the Gallian Crossfire mod, but it's difficult to go back to that game because of the heartaches I'd have to relive.  Otherwise, I'll say MGS3, Fallout New Vegas, Resident Evil Outbreak, Mass Effect 2, DBZ Budokai Tenkiachi 3... and there are others that I loved but are only really good for one or two playthroughs.

Edited by Ertrick36

2 hours ago, Zera said:

What is so addicting about that old game? (Haven't played it)

For my first few playthroughs it was because it is a game I consider it to be hard but fair. I would repeatedly die against a certain boss or obstacle but would always try again because I felt like I might be able to beat it next time. After awhile though, I could just breeze through the entire thing relatively quickly given how familiar I had become with it, even reaching the point where I could beat it on one life. There was something immensely satisfying about this for me as I had never really reached that point with a game, so I would just keep on playing Castlevania and enjoyed myself every time. I can't say for sure if anyone else would have this sort of reaction to this game, but it's what happened with me.

32 minutes ago, Thane said:

Dragon Age: Origins is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd hesitate to even call the other two games in the series average.

Heh, I was actually just about to say I recently started playing Dragon Age: Inquisition!

I'm really new to the series though and I don't know anything at all about the other two games, so maybe that'll change when I finish up with this one. I'm having a lot of fun, but I'm afraid playing the most recent one first will turn me away from the older games. Unfortunately, it happened with Fire Emblem after playing Awakening and Fates.

Just now, Carter said:

Heh, I was actually just about to say I recently started playing Dragon Age: Inquisition!

I'm really new to the series though and I don't know anything at all about the other two games, so maybe that'll change when I finish up with this one. I'm having a lot of fun, but I'm afraid playing the most recent one first will turn me away from the older games. Unfortunately, it happened with Fire Emblem after playing Awakening and Fates.

Dragon Age: Origins plays a lot differently from Inquisition, so there's always that. The biggest difference is in the quality of the cast and the writing, but since you just started playing Inquisition, I won't say more. 

I really do recommend playing through Origins first though.