Signs that you're getting old: Companies pander to your nostalgia

Slumber

I should have seen this coming when I grew up in 90s in the midst of a bunch of 70s nostalgia(That '70s Show, the Brady Bunch movie, Addam's Family movies, etc), and the 00s were full of 80s nostalgia(Bayformers, GI Joe, butt rock and hair metal being used everywhere, etc)... and now I'm REALLY starting to notice the 90s nostalgia coming in full force.

I know it started earlier than this year, but it's hitting the hardest this year, I'm noticing. The Power Rangers movie was one thing. But now Nickelodeon is coming out with new Rocko's Modern Life and Hey Arnold! movies, and it really hit me. Those shows I watched all the time when I was a kid are 20 years old now(Older than 20 for Rocko). I have disposable income, and people my age are having kids. Companies are trying to get people my age to pay for and watch stuff so that they can potentially expose a new audience to things I used to like.

I'm getting gray hairs.

Time's a bitch.

I think I've had gray hairs since I was 16.

Given these trends, I'm going to be really afraid when they start trying to pander to 2000s nostalgia in the 2020s.

...If the 2000s had anything at all to be nostalgic about, that is.

I'm hitting the 30s soon and I still watch some classic cartoons from my childhood like Darkwing Duck, Hey Arnold or some very old Looney Tunes cartoons as anime replacement.
And I'm fairly sure it won't change in the next years... and decades.
Nostalgia still will be nostalgia and never ever forgetten. 
If I should have kids (which might be rather unlikely, but still) I'd introduce them into all the classic stuff.

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I think I've had gray hairs since I was 16.

Given these trends, I'm going to be really afraid when they start trying to pander to 2000s nostalgia in the 2020s.

...If the 2000s had anything at all to be nostalgic about, that is.

I've actually been getting gray hairs since the end of the 00s. Seems like I get a new one every month. BUT, still.

I was still a kid for most of the 00s, but my recollection of new things I was super nostalgic for end with Digimon(I was super into a bunch of late 90s/early 00s Toonami anime, but most of that shit was all 10+ years old by the time it got to us). I mean... Spongebob came out in the 00s, right? But that's a media train that has never stopped.

Other than that, yeah, I'm drawing a blank on 00s things.

4 minutes ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

I'm hitting the 30s soon and I still watch some classic cartoons from my childhood like Darkwing Duck, Hey Arnold or some very old Looney Tunes cartoons as anime replacement.
And I'm fairly sure it won't change in the next years... and decades.
Nostalgia still will be nostalgia and never ever forgetten. 
If I should have kids (which might be rather unlikely, but still) I'd introduce them into all the classic stuff.

I'm still mid-20s, so I've got a few years, but I feel the same way on kids. The only reason I'd ever want kids is so I'd have a proper excuse to sit around and watch cartoons from my childhood.

So I guess if I was doing my duty as a proper patriotic American citizen and having kids, the marketing ploy of "Let's release a Hey Arnold! conclusion in 2017, and all the kids who grew up in the 90s will eat it up and show it to their kids!" would have totally worked.

Edited by Slumber

Yeah, as someone who went for the Virtual Console for Pokemon Blue and was promptly reminded why I was so happy to move on to Sapphire ten or so years ago, I feel ya. Frankly, I'll still show my future kids stuff, but in a different manner than the game companies planned - I've kept my GameBoy Color from when I was little and have been keeping it in good condition. The first video game my future children will be allowed to play will be Mickey's Speedway USA, on a non-rechargable system without a backlight or shoulder buttons. I don't intend to let them learn who Mario even is for some time - we'll see how well that works out...

Hahaha, reminds me how Nickelodeon is doing just that over here, with TV announcements to vote online over which 4 old shows to bring back. And deliberately with the whole "20 years ago", even.

Man... haha...

I'll also add that now they're selling collector's editions of SNES or something again, just to add to the 90s feel.

Also there was a character in Scream Queens 2 years ago that dressed like she came straight from the 90s.

Oh, and the fucking Crash Bandicoot remakes being possibly the strictest remakes of all time.

And selling a boatload.

Edited by Slumber