Return of the Emblem Chapter Fifteen: Alliance

Phoenix

Angelica wasn't sure who was more dense... Eva, or Norbert's apparent father. He had mistaken Eva's mention of them being partners as a business affair, but due to saying that in Kigenese to Angelica specifically, Eva had gone and added even more fuel to the ever-growing pile of tinder... how to diffuse this...?

"Thank you, Kazemi-san, and Eva, I know you're excited that us being business partners isn't a problem, even thought women being partners and running a business together is frowned upon and sometimes illegal in Kigen, but you shouldn't be forward. Expressing your excitement like that to another woman in Kigen is very bad, some people are very against it, and if the wrong person saw it, could get us executed or arrested. We should be glad Kazemi-san is so understanding, a lot of Kigenese officials wouldn't be so kind." Angelica replied in common to both Eva and Daichi, slowly and pointedly for Eva's sake, returning the rider's elbow-jabs at opportune moments to hopefully get her point across. 

Slow as ever, Rin evaded Haruhi's punch with little effort, sighing as the girl gave a bit of a fit. Seemed she had given her a fright... again. Though her chance to rib the mage was short lived, as a man came running after her, and the pair seemed to get into a bit of a scuffle... what was going on.

"<I do know Haruhi, yes. But I don't know you... what does a foreign man want with her?>"

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was this business partners thing she was going on about? Arrested, executed? What? "Angelica, that's ridiculous. We're lovers, not business partners... Executed, seriously? That's way too extreme for something like that." She definitely had to just be way too overly worried at this point. Daichi would totally tell her, what a silly thing to say. Geez...

Well, that was surprising. The woman seemed to scare Haruhi's lights out, which made Thales eye her suspiciously. "<Oi, what is-- What? 'Sob story'?>" Whatever that was, it seemed Haruhi wanted to send him back to Lumi, like he wasn't supposed to come here after her. "<She wants to leave, will not force her. Said wanted to talk to her... then you ran off. On own.>" He stressed, trying to point out how much of a weird move it was, if Kigen was as dangerous to her as she feared. "<Not make stupid move then blame me for worry.>" Honestly, this girl...

And who was that other girl to be wanting to ask the questions here? She didn't seem a friend of Haruhi... was she? "<Worry she run off to danger. Know Haruhi.>"  Was all Thales offered, "<What your name? How do know her?>"

Edited by Xinnidy

<What odd sayings northerners have.> Daichi thought, when Eva mentioned kissing Angelica. Though it made him a little uncomfortable, it was just a saying, so anyone who understood it, hopefully, would know what she meant. That was what he thought, at least, until Angelica alluded that it was actually a way to express excitement in the north...or maybe just in Neviskotia. She wasn't speaking quickly, but the long sentences were a tiny bit hard to track. He was pretty sure he understood what she meant, though. But...executed? Or arrested? What kind of wild rumors were running around in the north? Daichi grimaced. <Our reputation is worse than I thought...> A kiss was hardly a handshake, and he'd personally only reserve his lips for his wife, and maybe his children's cheeks or the tops of their heads, but...

And then all the confusion was cleared up. Daichi stared blankly at the women for a moment, though he didn't give any other tells. Or at least, not ones his men could pick up on. Perhaps, in Neviskotia, such romances were socially acceptable. In Kigen, they were never seen in public, and highly associated with presumed noble scandals, or commoners who spent too much time at home. Obviously, Eva didn't fit that bill, and Angelica was trying to protect her. However, no one was executed for it, to his knowledge, and the closest anyone's come to arresting someone for expressing affection of any sort is if the offenders were being excessively intimate about it. Oh boy, where to begin...?

Expression contorting in discomfort, Daichi attempted to clear things up with these foreigners. "Eba-san, you really should keep your love private. Miss Angelica is right that such romantic interest is not...er, <socially acceptable."> He glanced at Angelica for help with the translation before continuing on. "However, no one will be arrested or killed for it. But even between a man and a woman, public expressions of love should be kept private. In Kigen, such things are...not for everyone to see."

A quick kiss shared between a couple in public, while no one is looking, was bold, even among youths. And holding hands, while understandable if at least one of those involved was a small child, was a somewhat stunning expression of romantic interest if performed by teenagers, and older. Daichi, himself, tended to express his feelings much more freely than the average Kigenese man, but even he felt embarrassed thinking about such public displays of affection.

Edited by Mercakete

((just wanna say merc that daichi is pretty great, keep up the good work))

"Oh... I-I see. Huh. I didn't expect such a level of reservation... Even holding hands, eh?" It was nice to know that it was unacceptable for everyone, not just her situation, but it was still quite the odd thing. Even holding hands... The thought had Eva temporarily stunned. They'd get weird looks for holding hands? That's crazy... Like, not in an insulting way, just... It's almost impressive. Wow. She smiled a bit, totally amused by the thought, before jabbing Angelica with another elbow. "See! I told you. You were being entirely melodramatic."

"But... I guess I do have a lot to learn about Kigen before we set off proper. I should speak with Hoshi about customs and acceptable behaviour. I'm lucky to have run into someone as understanding as you, Mr. Kazemi!" If she'd run face first into a less accepting guard, things would've gotten pretty out of hand, huh...? Well, it was good luck, then. Probably the best luck she'd had in a while.

"<You're the one who was putting the moves on her. And now you're running after me, instead. Slick talker, huh... H-He's my... Friend, Rin.>" She almost didn't say friend, considering how stupid she thought he was being. "<You're the one making the stupid move, idiot... What's she going to think, now? How dumb are you? It's obvious that she wanted someone to help her. And I'm not the right one for it, right now...>"

"Socially acceptable." Angelica translated, Eva at least finally seeming to understand what she had been trying to say, though only after their Kigenese official had deciphered it first and explained it to her in simpler terms... how disastrous that could have been. His insistence that the potential punishment wasn't quite so severe told Angelica enough about this Daichi Kazemi... he was soft, and had never been exposed to the dark underbelly of Kigen's long-standing traditions. She supposed it was better for everyone that was the case, but they had certainly gotten lucky.

"Let's just say I have reason to be wary. You certainly were lucky it was Kazemi-san that you talked to, today... and it won't be just Hoshi you're talking to, Eva." Angelica replied with a bit of a grimace, though it was notably softer than her earlier expression... they had certainly dodged a bullet with that one...

"<Friend, huh? Well Mr. Friend, all you need to know is that I'm Haruhi's... guardian, I suppose. Unofficially, of course. I expected that duty to be done with after she got on the boat, but if she's back, then I'll be making sure that she remains safe.>" Rin replied, looking over Thales with a watchful eye. It was rather blatantly obvious that she intended to keep the petite mage safe from him, among other things.

"<What would tell Lumi? Ask to stay? No, she want space, now. Not push to stay from me. Push us away. Let breathe.>" Thales insisted, stubborn and confident Lumi would doubtful be convinced by him. At best, she would stay just for his sake, which didn't feel right. "<Not idiot. Not make miracle. No forcing Lumi.>" He shook his head. "<Did not tell me, before. So...>" She probably didn't want to make the decision harder... not that he agreed with it. It was frustrating enough to deal with the fact Lumi was going to leave suddenly and only told him now, Thales didn't need Haruhi berating him as well...

Meanwhile, there was this girl casting a doubtful eye at him, great. "<Guardian? What? And let her on boat alone?>" Sure... sure thing, he didn't need that right now, and an audible sigh made it very clear. "<Whatever say. Haruhi with us now.>" As long as she had no ideas to take the girl away...

Edited by Xinnidy

"<Rin, stop it... I... I met a woman on the boat I snuck onto. She said that she'd teach me how to use my magic properly. So... I joined their group. That's why I'm back in Kigen. They have business here.>" She stood up properly, wiping her eyes on her sleeve. "<She put me on the boat so I could get out of Kigen, Thales. That's all... She's just being confrontational because you're... Well, you're a man. It's difficult for most people, here, to deal with them... But Rin, trust me he's not a problem... He's pretty nice, all things considered.>"

"<if you say so, Thales... Lumi... Can make her own choices.>" She still felt like Thales was making the wrong choice, but maybe his infatuation with the girl had just been passing. It wasn't really her place to say any further...

"<Fine. If you say he is alright, then I will trust you. As for why, it is as Haruhi said. I protected her until she could get out of Kigen, as she wished. It was understood from the beginning that I would not be leaving with her, and she would be responsible for herself once she had left.>" Rin added, thinking back on what the other two had said now that she had less reason to be quite so guarded.

"<Who is this Lumi? Sounds like a woman, but not Kigenese. Striking out on her own in this country is very dangerous, especially if she is not aware of how men operate in Kigen.>"

So he was a threat because he was a man? That's stupid, he wasn't even Kigenese. "<Alright, I understand.>" Thales huffed, but there was nothing else that was really adequate to say with his grasp of Kigenese. "<Just remember follow us when leave, then.>" Haruhi wasn't technically alone now, which made his concerns a bit pointless, but it's not like Thales had a crystal ball here and could predict the random stranger or her trustworthiness.

"<Lumi from Ursium. Not stay in Kigen, might go back.>" Thales explained, drily. The more he thought back to it the more sour he'd feel. "<She free to make choice, not tied to man. Not that bad there.>" They certainly made it sound like men were awful here. Not that it made him sympathetic if they started doubting him.

Haruhi sighed. This was turning into a bit of a big mess, and scene, right on the docks. She was supposed to be alone, pitying herself, but Thales had run after her, and Rin... Yeah. With a few careful steps over to Thales, she shook her head. "<Sorry. For running... I... Said some things I shouldn't have. Not that I didn't have reason for them, but... Still.>" She'd probably hurt Lumi, if Thales had bothered to translate any of what she said. She grit her teeth. And all because of her own feelings towards herself. "<Emotions are stupid...>" she mumbled, looking over at Rin.

"<So... Does that mean you're going to start following me again? Not that I mind, but... You should get that squared away with this group's leader. I don't think they'd appreciate getting followed by what's practically a shadow, without any prior arrangements...>"

Making Due

"He's gonna need some work, all the same," Greta groaned. Sighing, and glancing at her wagon that most certainly needed moving, she said, "Well, I'm gonna get my wagon and merch off the ship. If ya catch Shadrak before I do, let'em know he's my cousin. I guess let the others know, too." Was she going to have to shelf her accent to sell that one? No, probably not. It was fine even if people were a little suspicious, so long as they weren't inclined to do anything about it. Greta would definitely make this work.

Strength

"Trust me, Liam," Joanna insisted, shaking her head, "It won't be necessary."

Looking to Pete next, she said, "I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we're not nearly as vulnerable as we might seem." Maybe coming away from that incredible battle in Urquium had left them in an even worse state than she imagined. Perhaps it was more than that. Maybe the constant threat of attack, fleeing from the wrathites, and nearly always being on the defensive, had left the group with primarily defensive preferences. Or ... perhaps Joanna herself was beginning to see things much differently. She was getting hints of that same divinely inspired positivity from Ra, which to her was welcome, despite his oppressively neutral handling of most people.

Fearing that she was the one looking at things differently, she quickly revised. "Just ... remember, our mindset and morale are important. These aren't tactics that are going to help us for very long. We have to face the fallen, directly. Nothing the Ursians or Neviskotians could possibly have in mind even compares to what the fallen might have in store for anyone approaching the siege gate."

Amon winced, somewhat beginning to see where Joanna was coming from. It sounded like she wasn't happy being overly cautious with a comparatively microscopic group while a massive, much more dangerous one was preparing to strike, especially when they had to confront that group directly and--fate willing, defeat them before an endless army appeared to reinforce them. Looking at it that way, he could vaguely see where she was coming from, though it did surprise Amon that Joanna seemed so willing to risk a small skirmish over a subtle lie. Or perhaps she was picturing the withholding of information from these people differently than he was. Joanna had mentioned the group's mindset and morale, as well, but Amon was having a bit of trouble with that one. No doubt Ra had perfect clarity there, somehow ...

Smuggling

Nong sighed, having finished yet another farewell. Four of his men were carrying the chest containing Canaan and his camouflage across the deck and toward the boarding ramp. There was a good chance he'd never see his friend, again. He'd been prepared for that eventuality ... but to think he'd be seeing the demon off in Kigen of all places. Of all the places in Sardius to be letting him go. It didn't feel right, but Nena assured him she would look after Canaan. Thus far, she'd proven competent, managing to convince the inspectors that what they saw on the surface of the chest, was all their was. That cleared them to move the chest onto land for loading into the wagon. Despite how well things had gone, anything could still happen, and Nong was just as worried about Nena since the consequences of aiding a demon were so gruesome. There were some places where she might be burned up right along with him, dead or alive. He didn't want that for her, or anyone, really.

Nena, not having any things of her own to carry--she'd have to convince Greta to give her an advance so she could remedy her wardrobe situation--followed after the chest bearers as they carried Canaan's dark, clanky sanctuary down from the Emi Maru and onto the pier. The small group of locals there were decently armed, probably officers. Nena decided to stop Nong's men a little before they ran into that group. There was no point in having them carry the chest any further until the wagon was off the Darklighter Idolus anyway. "We'll just wait here. Take five, guys," she waved teasingly.

While they took a moment to rest, Nena began to casually walk around the pier, using any instant she was facing the group of officers to look them over without risking eye contact. It wasn't her most convincing routine, but given some of the exaggerated steps and turns, it likely wasn't meant to be especially convincing. As long as she looked extremely bored and not suspicious, that would do. She made sure to keep her eyes off the chest for the most part, treating it like the uninteresting box of junk it was meant to be.

Coming Through

Greta had to steer, herself, but the wagon came down from the boarding ramps of the Darklighter Idolus safely. The pier was narrow enough to have her worried going into this, but after the initial turn, she drove it up onto real ground, stopping only after she'd cleared the path along the pier completely. "Alright, I can just leave'er parked here for a bit while Lexi and I figure out the rest of that stuff." With that, Greta hopped down from the wagon and headed up to the horses to make sure they were okay.

Shadrak made it down the loading ramp with a scowl on his face. Why did he need to be Greta's cousin, exactly? The kigenese loved their family ties, yes, but there was nothing wrong with a man having an assistant that wasn't a relative. Did they look related? He sure didn't think so. There had to be a better way to go about this. On his way toward Arugai proper, Shadrak noticed a strange sight coming into view. Not the small group of men on the docks, but rather some of the sailors from the Emi Maru, and ... Nena. She was strolling around in random circles like she was waiting for someone to come scoop her up. It was kind of cute, but a little confusing. What was almost as confusing was the chest the sailors had brought off the ship. It was considerably larger than any he'd seen. The druid couldn't help but wonder what was inside it. Since he'd had his attention on the scene for this long, already, he decided to head over and investigate ...

((Thank you. :) I'm glad you like him.))

Daichi nodded in confirmation when Eva asked if even holding hands would be considered unseemly. Then, she talked about needing to learn more about the culture before going too much further into the country. He nodded at that, too. It was a responsible step to take if you didn't already understand some of the culture. Northern countries were extremely different from Kigen, while the southerners were a mystery not often pondered. Social norms would be extremely different, and remaining ignorant would only make one's stay frustrating at best.

When Eva happily expressed how glad she was that it was Daichi she had run into, the man smiled in return. It was good to see her so happy, and he was glad he was able to help. Angelica then mentioned how she had her reasons for thinking people acted that way in Kigen. It was a little unfair to hold such a negative stereotype against the Kigenese military officers, but he didn't want to broach that subject again. He'd already said his piece, and if she wasn't going to believe him, then saying it again wouldn't help anything. Perhaps she had a negative experience, once, or someone she knew did. Hopefully, she would be convinced by her own, new experiences, provided things went along as they usually did in Kigen. Angelica also agreed that Eva was lucky to run into him, instead of talking with someone less understanding. He had to agree, there, and appreciated the indirect compliment.

A lull fell in the conversation, and Daichi took inventory of the goings-on of the two ships. Some men and a woman were loitering around the Emi Maru, a wagon had been moved from the Darklighter Idolus, and a man was just coming off of the ship. He smiled in satisfaction at the sight of the group getting ready to move. There was a little bit of excitement, there, but it was also tranquil. Just the everyday goings-on of the port town, peacefully proceeding as it always did. People were happy, making lives for themselves. Nature was thriving... The only thing ruining the scene, really, was the canonfire in the distance, and the ships both creating and beyond the blockade. Ah, but such was life as well. He knew that well enough, having been in the emperor's service for so long. He gave the distant ships a sorry smile. They probably wished they were somewhere else, too.

"I know that, but that doesn't mean we have to treat them the same way. There's no need to alienate them while there's a chance that they can be helpful," Pete said, irritated now. He had more to say with regards to morale and how that ship sailed, but by that point Greta's wagon had been off-loaded. "I'll leave it at that for now, since we're almost ready to go. Let's start with getting off this boat, for now."

"<That depends on what you plan to do, I guess. You're sure that trying to learn from some mage is the best for you? You could have found a teacher outside of Kigen.>" Rin replied apprehensively to begin with. Haruhi's actions just didn't make much sense...

"<Well...>" It wasn't like what Haruhi had said was the best idea, Thales knew, but could he chastize her for it. "<Careful, her emotions not easy to deal. Want support... but Lumi leaving.>" Another wince, ugh, why did things have to be that way. I want to see her one last time before she leaves for good, at least... She was set, and proved their relationship wasn't worth staying for... which he couldn't blame on her. Staying in a dangerous situation with a guy that you just met just because he is cute wasn't an idea he'd be fine pushing. "<Not... know what to say to Lumi.>" He was feeling down, now, dang. I don't want to get her killed because she chose to stay either... what a situation.

"<Why not ask mage?>" He turned to Rin, wanting to brush off that tinge of sadness. "<Her name Hoshi, can talk with Haruhi... Kigenese.>" That'd probably be the best person to update this 'guardian' on the group's mission, anyways.

"<I don't know what to say either... Nothing I have towards her situation would help. It's just... Pointless venting.>" Not giving context on that, Haruhi looked over at Rin, giving her a small scowl. "<I got really lucky. I have no money to my name, and this woman is Kigenese. That she offered to help teach me at all is incredibly generous of her... I know it means coming back here, but as long as I'm in a big group, things should be okay.>" Hopefully.

"<Besides... Thales will keep me safe. He likes getting teased, and I'm the best at teasing him.>"

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

It was brief, but Rin wiped the beginnings of a tear from her eye, wrapping an arm around Haruhi's shoulders and rustling her hair with a wide smile.

"<My little Haruhi is becoming a man-eater and she's only been out of Kigen for two weeks... ahh, they grow up so fast.>" Rin teased, putting on the perfect visage of a proud parent.

"<Wh... O-Oi! Shut up! Don't even try to say that again! I'll kill you! I am not... You...!>" Haruhi flushed red, squirming to get away from the older girl's arm. "<Don't even joke about that, he knows Kigenese enough to understand us!>" Things were NOT like that... He just reacted well, to small teases. And he put up with them... That's all it was! Besides, he liked girls like Lumi. Actually cute ones... The baggage was probably the only thing they had in common.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Liam

Liam raised an eyebrow at Joanna. He didn't disagree with what she was saying, but she sounded more like a member of Cloud Legion that the girl he knew back in Aria. Maybe her time with the humans has changed her- though I didn't notice this as much at first.

Nadya

Nadya, with Luca in tow, caught up to Shadrak exiting the loading dock and staring at Nena. She coughed into her hand slightly to get his attention before speaking. "Thanks for agreein' to help out Greta. I know playin' merchant may not be your idea of a good time, but the supplies will really be a big help."

Thales could only agree with Haruhi's notion. Trying to argue with Lumi or ask her to stay would be too selfish a request for him, especially when he was so young to the group. "<I hope she will be okay...>" He worried, but it wouldn't really change much. Best to let it stew and simmer down after a while...

Meanwhile, the girls certainly knew how to change the subject. "<What is 'man-eater'?>" That term was gibberish to him, not in Common but in Kigenese. Thales sighed at their antics. "<What part of trying to ride me is tease? Or the surprise cheek kiss? Think I forget that?>" Really, what was up with Haruhi trying to use him like a toy at times? She didn't bother him, but if she got that willing to take advantage of him, maybe Thales would need to be more stern. "Honestly... Kigenese girls..." He'd say more, but being though of as some protection was a bit refreshing. Thales was reliable, he'd take that.

"<It seems that way to me, even if you protest.>" Rin replied with a grin, giggling at Haruhi's flailing for a moment until the boy chimed in again, citing a few examples of Haruhi's teasing... which didn't seem all that off.

"<Nothing, nothing. Sounds like regular teasing to me, what's got you so riled up?>"

"... What." What was up with these girls? It was getting to Thales as much as he tried to handwave it. "<People not going be fine with kiss out nowhere. Or try ride around town. Not do that if they not know you, is bad.>" Thales grumped, frowning at the girls. "<Need to smooth, know they okay with it. Not be a pain.>" He tried to defend his view, likely in vain against these two, but Thales felt they wouldn't get it otherwise.

"<Man-eater is nothing you need to worry about.>" When Thales went on describing her actions, a worried look turned to Rin, but as she reacted like Haruhi's actions had been bog standard, that worry faded. <She'll tease me about it later...> "<Yes, you're right. They won't. That's why it was on the boat... When we're in town, I know to behave myself. I was... I was just having some fun since you were putting up with me...>" She flushed the lightest shade of red, looking back at the boat. "<Should we go back, then? Or are we good to start exploring the town...?>"

How Do

Shadrak stopped in his tracks when Nadya spoke to him, reminding the druid about his agreement to play the role of Greta's relative and merchant. The former still felt like an unnecessary precaution, but maybe some good would come of it. "Pete probably would have been a better choice for a cousin or whatever, but it's fine. I'll figure out a way to be a convincing merchant."

What Do

Joanna was certain the Ursians, Neviskotians, or both, could be plenty helpful without having much knowledge about the group, so long as they could control themselves. If they couldn't at least do that, there wasn't much hope for gaining their cooperation long term, anyway. Supposing it would be better to finish the discussion in a more secure location before making a decision, Joanna shelved that point of disagreement for the moment. "Once we leave, where are we going to go, exactly? We shouldn't just wait by the docks, and we also shouldn't try to meet either of our pursuers until we've agreed on how to approach them."

"If we can help it," Amon noted with a grimace, "If they come to us first, I don't think sending them away until we're ready to talk will be easy." At least in Amon's mind, they'd be expecting some trickery: 'Meet us in this neutral location,' would sound to them like, 'Give us some time to quietly slip away, again.'

"If that's true," Joanna sighed, "maybe Liam and I should wait here a while. At least until there's somewhere for us to lay low. I wouldn't want one wrathite to turn everything upside down just because we were there."

Edited by Phoenix