Return of the Emblem Chapter Fifteen: Alliance

Phoenix

"I am staying behind because... because I don't belong here anymore. Staying here would just... make me a burden on other people. So I'm going to go back to Ursium. Back to Weylands, maybe be a courier for one or something like that. Just... something where I can stay away from the battles and from the places where I may get someone killed because they're worried about me..." She stared at the ground, listening to herself. She was such a coward... "A--anyways, I just... wanted to find the captain to see if I could stay on the ship with her so that I could go back..." They're going to hate me now too... Just like Haruhi and Thales probably...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eva had started speaking in Neviskotian, which was probably a good thing given how angry she had been. It seemed like she was going to keep talking with Angelica, so hopefully the mage would be able to calm her down. Good... I should have been more careful with my words... Of course she would be upset hearing all of that. Any woman would, no? Except maybe those who were born here... And even we have problems with it...

No, this wouldn't do. She was getting too caught up in her own head. Haruhi needed her, so she should go talk to her. Turning around, she smiled at the younger girl. <"Yes, I think that Eva needs some time to think about things, but please. Let me meet your friend. What is her name?">

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"<Don't make me reach too deep into my bag of tricks so soon or you might regret it~> Either way, I'm not versed enough in Kigen's history to try and say how things ended up this way... I think it has something to do with the basis of their culture... they look at their Emperor and some ancient dragons in the place of the Gods that are worshiped in Ursium and Neviskotia, so they don't have any female figures in places of importance in their culture... no humanoid ones, anyway." Angelica replied, first in Neviskotian, and then in common when it came to less intimate matters. It seemed Hoshi was talking to Haruhi and her friend, so she might not get confirmation on the matter directly, but there was always a chance.

"<Rin. I made it a point to get Haruhi out of this country like she wanted, and then only two weeks later, she comes back after working herself nearly to death to leave, all because she found a teacher. Needless to say, I'm curious.>" Rin replied in a serious tone, looking Hoshi over like a hawk as the shaman turned to them, before her expression grew less serious and harsh as she shook her head.

"<But I don't think you should be so quick to call them crazy, Haruhi. They're just doing things the way they did them at home... places that aren't here. Places where women are free to be people, instead of just possessions of their husbands and brothers. Places you could be, right now.>"

<"And if there hadn't been a battle destroying the port town when she showed up, I would have sent her on her way, perhaps with a few directions on a friend to talk to."> Hoshi was slightly annoyed that the woman seemed to be implying it was her fault that Haruhi was back here. <"I was worried that if she left, she would die. I fled this country too. I... I am not happy about being back. But it is what I needed to do... There is danger coming and... and we had to warn people. I volunteered to return because I know this place. Otherwise I would not be here either.">

She huffed slightly, still offended, but nodded at the next words Rin said, even if the end had a bit of a jab, though it was unclear if it was directed at Haruhi or herself. <"It is not what I knew when I first escaped, but it is as Rin said. It is... more common in the outside world. Or... at least more openly common. I suppose that... that someone would be able to have such a relationship here if they, uhm, kept it quiet. But please Rin. Do not be harsh to Haruhi. She did... did not want to come back here. I, uhm, it's my fault. But only because I didn't want her to die..."> There was too much similarity to my past in her story to let her die....

"<Don't joke. At least not in the open. Don't want some randomly worldly Kigenese person to throw a fit just because they can catch Neviskotian... However it came about, as long as no one tries to talk to me about it, I should... I should be fine. Fine enough to not start a fight. But I'll keep to 'Skotian as long as it isn't going to be bugging anyone.>" She shook her head, looking back over at Amon and Daichi, wondering how that talk was going. "<We're stuck around here until Amon sorts everyone out, at least. I mean, we could just go off anyway, but I'd rather not bother him... Is he alright? He, uh... I'm not great at reading people, but he seems like he's got a stick up his butt. Something happen I'm not aware of?>"

"<She's-->" talking faster than Haruhi could, and introducing herself with... A few cutting remarks, either for her or Hoshi. "<Keep acting like that and you won't be able to make any friends at all. And they're still crazy. Coming here like that, being so brazen about it... She's more lucky than she deserves, running into an odd Hikibain like that.>"

She let Hoshi talk, not wanting to interrupt or correct anything. It was pretty accurate, anyway. "<Yes, that... That did happen. There was a big... And terrifying battle, at port. I could have tried to run, and get away from it all, but if I'd gotten caught by a stray wyvern, or hit with some magic... It was safest to stay on that boat. Besides! They aren't staying here, they just have something to do. And they'll be leaving when they're done... R-Right, Hoshi?>" She didn't really want to be wrong about that...

"<Something happened... I can't really explain it... Emblem shenanigans enough of an explanation for now?>" Angelica replied, smirking a bit at Eva's blunt reply.

"<Not too long ago you would have turned red as a tomato. You learned quick.>"

"<Well, if that's the case, things make a bit more sense. You could have said the port was under siege when you got there... and what do you mean, danger?>" Rin inquired, listening to their explanation of the events between the two, and wondering what it all meant.

"<Anyway, what Haruhi wanted to tell you is that, if she's gonna be back here, I'm gonna be watching over her again. She's too naive to leave to her own devices anyway. Whatever arrangements you need to make so that won't be a problem.>"

The news that Mr. Kazemi was both an emperor-designated 'demon' slayer- demon being their name for the Fallen- and the father of Norbert was both surprising and lucky, at least in Pete's eyes. As long as the pegasus rider didn't mess things up too badly, the group could easily gain the Kigenese support needed to deal with the gate through the Hikibain's connections.

Now, as for the meeting, the armored man did not have any suggestions since he didn't know the port, but, all the same, was ready to suggest they meet somewhere around Weyland Enterprises' headquarters, if Amon didn't have an answer ready. For now, however, he continued to keep an eye out for any unwelcome visitors.

Nadya

"I think things will work out just fine. Guess I'll let ya get back to whatever it was ya were doin'," Nadya said to him. She did want to ask him if there was any way to make Ra go away, but this didn't seem like the right time and place to be bringing up stuff about spirits.

Liam

"You should not feel ashamed of wanting to avoid violence. It took me years of mental training to get to the point where I could tolerate being in a combat situation- and that makes me no better or worse than any other avian. We all help each other in our own way," Liam explained to Lumi. 

Okay

What he was doing ... right. Shadrak glanced back over at Nena, who seemed to have just finished her awkward pacing. It looked like Nong's people were planning to help Nena with the large chest, again. What was even in that thing? Nena couldn't have brought her personal belongings to Kigen. "Okay, then. I think I'll see what she's planning to do with that thing," Shadrak said, indicating Nena and the chest her helpers were beginning to lift.

"We"

"Hey, Nena," Shadrak waved once he was closer, "What's with that chest? Did you buy a bunch of things from Nong or something?"

To deceive your enemies, you must first deceive your allies ... or something like that, Nena mused. "It's some old junk I'm selling for wardrobe money, courtesy of Nong," she explained, some notable disinterest in her tone. "I kind of need Greta's wagon to carry it for now, but it should be fine."

Shadrak looked doubtful, and rightly so. The wagon was nearly full already. "Wait a second, Greta's wagon?" Shadrak cocked an eyebrow. "We've got places to go. You know that, right? Even if we had the room for something that huge, which we don't mind you, we're not going to be in Arugai for long."

Nena shrugged. "First off, when you say 'we', you should be picturing me along with everyone else. After all, Greta did hire me."

"O- ... oh, right. Still, though. There's probably not enough room for that thing in the wagon, so what are we going to do about that?"

Nena sighed, clearly getting impatient. She was more in the loop than Shadrak was, so she didn't appreciate him getting into logistics and assuming she hadn't already considered the problem. "... second, Greta's getting a new wagon while we're in Arugai, so even if there isn't room just yet, there will be. Third and most important, Greta agreed to sell Lexi's junk so this is literally just one more box on a huge pile of crap we're selling off," Nena explained, wincing slightly afterward and imagining what that might have sounded like to poor Canaan. He probably knew she was just pretending the chest was nothing but junk, but this was a tough act to sell with that image in her head. "Anyway, it's about time I talk to her about this."

Have to Go

While Liam shared his own experience with the fear of battle and having ultimately overcome it, Joanna took a moment to consider Lumi's situation. Of particular interest was the pegasus rider's stated alternative to remaining with the group. Admittedly, Joanna didn't find the courier option very compelling, not when there was a siege gate in Ursium that also needed destroying, and Weyland would likely commit most of his people to that in some form or another. If Lumi was going to perform that type of job, would it be unreasonable to do so for the group, rather than going back to Ursium? Nowhere was really safe at this point, so the only tangible benefit Joanna could think of right away was not having anyone she knew worrying after her.

Joanna couldn't say anything just yet. She could hear Ra's voice in her head, reminding her of his plan to rid the group of its weaknesses. Besides fearing this was the sort of situation in which Ra would treat Lumi harshly, Joanna wondered if it was in anyone's best interest to stop the would be courier, at all. At the very least, Lumi didn't seem like she was dead set on leaving. She was definitely handling the preparations responsibly, however. Joanna supposed it wouldn't be a bad idea to offer some input of her own while they looked for Lexi and the customs officials.

"While I agree with Liam completely here, I am wondering why you think you would get someone killed. Weren't you taking shelter on this ship during the battle? I don't think things were any worse because of that ..." Glen and others had done the same, and Glen in particular was the least capable of the group as far as combat was concerned. He didn't have much choice but to lie low whenever the fighting started.

Someplace

Amon wasn't quite sure on a meeting location. He'd never been to this particular port town before, so his only frames of reference were this particular area on the docks, and Weyland Enterprises. There was no point putting off any of this information if they were going to hold the meeting right in this area, anyway. There was also what Hoshi had said, or rather, the way in which she'd said it; she hadn't been ready to reveal the group's ties to Weyland, and that might be for the best. Keeping that information within the group for the time being did leave Amon without any clear suggestions, however ... "I don't have anywhere specific in mind, other than a place where we can all speak freely."

Edited by Phoenix

"Where will you be staying?" Daichi asked. That was a good place to start, he figured, for trying to decide on a meeting spot. They were travelers planning on going deeper into Kigen, whatever their motives, so they were going to have to find a place to stay at some point. And, both given the size of the group and the fact that they had just come into port, they were likely to stay in Arugai for a little while, if only to resupply before heading out again. Given the time of day, and those assumed needs, Daichi estimated that this group wouldn't be leaving until the following day, at the earliest.

Edited by Mercakete

"It's... it's not just that I was hiding. I.." Lumi could feel tears start to well up in her eyes again, and she let out a frustrated groan. "Ugh, why can't I just talk about all of this like a normal person..." Taking a deep breath, she angrily wiped her eyes and continued, "I froze... I had been helping before that, trying to save people when that magic happened. And I was frozen. Useless. I was lucky this time. I could escape down below deck. Next time we might be in the middle of a plain and someone is going to have to try and get me out of there and be distracted and..." She trailed off with a small shake of her head.

"So it's not that I want to avoid violence exactly... I was fine with the smaller fights we had before. It was the scale and... And that I couldn't sleep at night without nightmares. I still can't... And I was asking Pete if things would get better and he told me no and then... said I should leave the group. Because it would be safer for me. And... I think so that he wouldn't have to worry about me in the middle of a battle. Which makes sense, you know?" She certainly didn't want to be making people distracted while fighting. She didn't want to be the reason someone got hurt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<"Exactly. We won't be staying here. I would never... This is not a place I would stay for a long time, do not worry."> She smiled at Haruhi, trying to help her be convinced that things were going to be ok. They would get why they were here sorted and then go back to Ursium. Everything would work out well.

Hoshi folded her arms, staring at the other woman. <"... Hmmph. You are very presumptuous to just invite yourself along with a group that you have no idea about."> Rin was starting to annoy her, but on the other hand, having someone else who really understood Kigenese culture couldn't hurt. And it's not like fewer people was better. Sighing, she unfolded her arms, and nodded. <"Very well, but I will warn you. This isn't some picnic. We... we are going to the Emperor to try and convince him of a threat. I will explain more, but this is not a safe journey you have invited yourself along to. Hopefully that is alright with you.">

Edited by scorri

Liam

Lumi's tale reminded Liam of his conversation with Norbert several days before and how dismissive the pegasus rider was of all that had happened. Maybe some humans are different... "All that death and destruction in that battle was...horrifying. It is not a weakness to have empathy for the suffering of others," he stressed.

"If you wish to stay, I would be willing to teach you some meditation techniques so that you can maintain your focus in the battles to come. If you wish to leave, that is fine as well. Just make sure the choice is yours and not Pete or whoever else's."

Liability

Again, Joanna found herself agreeing with Liam but still feeling something was off about Lumi's perspective. It likely had a lot to do with the avian's own history of guilt at having to be protected ... and Joanna would typically go out of her way to involve herself in the violence in order to put a stop to it, no matter the scale. That had been demonstrated once again during the massacre at Urquium. In light of her own dangerous tendencies, Glen's questionable place in the group, and the circumstances surrounding that battle, Joanna felt that Lumi had fallen into the deep end, and now even the shallows looked dark and ominous. It might have helped if either side had been clearer on what constituted things 'getting better,' but the damage was already done.

"There are some battles," Joanna began, thinking to situations like Urquium, "that I would recommend just about everyone stay out of. There are some things even we can't handle on our own. That's why we need the Kigenese to help us." She thought of the siege gate itself, and the likely horrors guarding it. Maybe they could deal with some of it, but if these defenses were established with the Kigenese army in mind, their group didn't stand a chance as it was. "It's difficult to say whether you would be a risk in practice, but I don't know how we're going to organize ourselves when it's time to deal with the gate, either."

The Magic Words

And now he seemed to be cornered, or fairly close. Amon grimaced faintly at the question. "Well, we've got several places to visit while we're in town," he began, thinking of Greta's wagon errand, as well as all the things she would be trying to sell off for Lexi. Even though it was their ultimate destination in Arugai, Weyland Enterprises was also a good place to check in and maybe send a message back to the Professor himself. It still might be best not to reveal anything that wasn't necessary, but Daichi already knew they had a specific place in mind, so being vague at this point would only reveal his intentions. That meant Amon's only chance of keeping that under wraps was changing the subject, somehow.

One idea quickly came to mind: asking Daichi for his recommendations. Even if the Hikibain suggested the very place they were staying, Amon could point out that it wouldn't suffice for a private meeting, without getting into details. It was better than nothing, so Amon decided to go for it. "We'll be staying at Weyland Enterprises. I can't think of a better place for a private meeting than there, come to think of it."

Amon glanced away from Daichi in utter shock. Did he actually just say that?! How?! Why?! Both the how and the why turned out to be incredibly obvious. It's Ra, again ... The glowing bastard was controlling his speech now, too? He'd even hidden himself behind Amon's own choice of words. Even now, Amon's face didn't reflect his shock, but a look of careful consideration. This emblem situation couldn't possibly get any worse, it seemed.

"<I'd rather you say more than Emblem shenanigans, if I'm being honest. I feel the most left out when those meetings come around... It'd be great if I actually knew what was going on beyond 'the gold thing did another funny'... And sh-shush. You know I didn't mean leash like that.>" Eva sighed, hoping that they got moving soon, giving Amon's conversation an eye. Were things going well? She couldn't really tell.

"<I am not naive! You take that back. I was taking care of myself just fine alone. Maybe you should be shunned from the group, if you're gonna be like that... Sheesh.>" At least Hoshi was easing her worries. Not staying in Kigen, good. This place was... Undesirable. "<Yeah, this isn't... We're not here on vacation. It's about... The Fallen.>" She kept her voice low, looking over at the Hikibain. "<Bad stuff. Probably even scare you...>"

So, the one Hoshi worked for was Professor Seth Weyland. That certainly explained her use of that specific word, "headquarters." Perhaps the message to the emperor came from the Ursian inventor. He didn't hold enough sway in Kigen to be listened to directly, so finding someone who could get a message directly to Emperor Yamato certainly made sense, coming from him. Daichi didn't know much about the man, but he certainly could afford to send mercenaries, and probably had respect among Ursian merchants. Yes, this all made perfect sense, now...except for the obvious missing piece: whatever this message was, specifically. But that, too, would come in time. That very day, in fact, if this meeting occurred as planned.

Daichi couldn't help but immediately think of his own investigation, too, upon hearing the locale's name. Thus far, he'd felt rather shut out from that particular company. Perhaps he could make some headway now, being invited in. It was worth looking into, at least. But again, not at this very moment.

On a more personal note, Daichi was glad to know where not only to find this surprising and interesting group would be staying, but to know where his son would be staying as well. He was planning to visit there in order to meet with Amon again, of course, and he did want to speak with Hoshi again. However, the potential conversation that made him look forward to it the most was meeting again with Norbert.

"I will meet you there later today, then. Be sure to let the" Receptionist. What was the word in Common for that, again? Well, best find a substitute word...or at least a word that included the receptionist. "workers there know to expect me."

Here, Daichi gave a bit of a sheepish smile. "I hope you do not mind, but I will be bringing at least one man with me, as well. Because I am the only Hikibain in the area, I need to be able to send and receive messages in case something comes up suddenly that I need to take care of." His expression relaxing again, Daichi clarified, "He does not need to be in the meeting with us, however. He just needs to be nearby."

"<It's... complicated. I'll tell you later on when we've gotten past all of this border control stuff, and can relax for a little bit... to be honest, I still haven't completely wrapped my own head around it quite yet. Needless to say it's been bad news so far.>" Angelica replied, shaking her head in disdain. Ra's own arrangement with Amon was bad enough, but Angelica still had no idea what she would come to expect from the golden spectre yet.

"<The Emperor huh? Well aren't you all special... as long as I don't need to go meet the guy, then that's fine.>" Rin replied, chuckling a bit at the constant assurances of danger, and worries of the Fallen.

"<I've dealt with more than a few of the winged bastards in my day. Haruhi should know better than anyone that anything she's ready to try and fight won't be much of a problem for me... and until you prove to me you're not the same naive girl I escorted here, you're just going to have to accept it, Haru-run. I look forward to you proving me wrong, though.>" Rin continued, patting Haruhi a few times on the head in an affectionate, if slightly patronizing manner.

Eva sighed. "<I hope you tell me later... I'll pressure Amon if you don't, but he seems stressed out enough as it is. I don't want to have to add that to his plate... It's always something with the Emblem, isn't it?>" Eva sighed again, less heavily. "<It really is... Oh well. Nothing we haven't dealt with before. I'm sure we'll be fine. And if we aren't, we weren't meant to be, right? Something like that... Ahhh, okay. I feel... A bit better. But you'd better tell me about this stuff... Whether it's with a leash or not.>" With that said, Eva kept idly watching Amon's talk, wondering how that was going.

"<Don't... Ugh.>" Even calling her Haru-run, and in front of Hoshi. All of her credibility was probably destroyed right there, if she even had any. "<Let's just... Get to wherever we're going to be staying, and see about getting settled into port, before we go over anymore.>" Haruhi stuffed her hands into her overshirt pockets, shrinking just a bit.

Relief

"Right," Amon nodded, surprised to have actually said what he meant that time. Daichi quickly noted that he would need an assistant on hand, though not necessarily in the meeting. Staying in relatively easy contact was a good idea, even though the meeting probably wouldn't last very long. Not having that assistant at the meeting made Amon wonder which people from his own group should be present. Some would likely pass regardless of whether they should be their or not, but there was still the chance Daichi might get the details from too many people at once, so it was something to think about ... among other potential problems.

"That's fine," Amon nodded again, glad to be in full control, again, "We're not trying to get in your way or cause any problems, it's just not something to get into out in the open."

"I understand," Daichi replied with a nod. He'd been in this business long enough -- and, in fact, had even simply lived long enough -- to understand that it was better to keep some things secret, even if only for a limited time.

"Hoshi-san can direct you to Weyland's building, I hope," Daichi added, briefly looking over at the conversing woman. He returned his gaze to Amon. "If I see my son, I will direct him to you there. Is there anything else you wanted to say before I leave?"

Good

It was good to know that if the Norbert search party--assuming such a party could be formed--came up short, the pegasus rider would likely still find them again, with Daichi's help. "Thanks, and no, I think that's all for now. If anything else comes up, I'll let you know at Weyland's."

Daichi nodded in response to Amon. "I will see you later, then."

The Hikiba member then turned to his men. <"We are leaving now. Let's go.">

He was moving past them and deeper into Arugai, even as the men responded with the expected <"Yes, sir!"> They followed after him once he'd taken the lead.

"<Later, yeah. And don't stress the leash, I'm not really in the mood to follow up on anything.>" Angelica replied in a bit of a sour fashion, shaking her head. More thinking about this whole mess... just what she needed.

"<Still embarrassed about that? I think it's cute... well, lead on, Ms. Teacher.>" Rin replied with a smirk at Haruhi's shrinking act.

Edited by Ether

<"You. Killed Fallen. I'll believe that when I see it."> Hoshi couldn't quite bring herself to believe that this random woman was at the same level as one of the Hikibani but it wasn't worth pushing. The only thing that mattered was she wasn't put off by the idea of fighting the Fallen and that Haruhi didn't seem too upset at the thought of her joining. Still, the way she was treating Haruhi was starting to annoy Hoshi. <"I will request that if you are to join our group, you will treat my student with respect. She is trying hard and has learned a lot of how little she has been taught. So be nice to her, or stay out of our group.">

Hoshi had to catch her breath a little after that. She wasn't quite sure where all of that had come from, only knowing that for whatever reason, seeing Rin needle her student was enough to stir something inside her she didn't know existed. Maybe it came from how she had been treated when she was younger or maybe it was just a protective instinct of her student. Either way, it was slightly scary and certainly tiring. Turning her back on Rin, she walked back to Amon, noting that his company was gone. "Is everything settled then? If so, I can lead you to Weyland's headquarters. I generally know where it is at least." She actually had never been there, but she knew the basic idea of where it was from the information Weyland had given her and surely they would be able to figure out the rest from there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's... It's not for Pete exactly. I mean... it's because of him, but not for him. I don't think.... I..." Lumi trailed off, confused once again, unsure of what the best way to handle this was. Or even if there was a good way. She wanted to help, right? But then again, what if she froze up again. But Liam thought he could help with that. Of course, Pete and the others would still worry about her... "I... should still talk to the captain. Find out if stay is even an option..." Maybe by the time they found her, some of this would start to fit together a bit more neatly...

Nadya

Nadya decided to lead Luca over to where Greta was to check on things- she seemed to be talking with Jam. Jam knows Greta from before she met us, right? Maybe she wants to help too.

"Hey y'all. Need any help from me? Not sure how much use I'll be tryin' to convince armies to help us, but I figured I should try and do somethin'," Nadya offered.

Liam

"Take your time. From the sound of things, the two of us will be here for a while if you wish to speak more," Liam said to Lumi.

Edited by -Cynthia-

The rest of the conversation had gone smoothly once Amon spoke up. Somehow Thales didn't expect him to be so forward with the information on where they would stay, but Amon was more than willing to part with for the Hikibain's sake. That made Thales feel better about intruding and affirming they'd came from Urquium, even if but a gesture. "See you, Kazemi-san..." Well, that was a hopeful start to their arrival in Kigen. What a nice fellow.

With the kigenese men retreating and his curiosity sated, Thales drifted away from Amon and Pete quickly --he had no mind to speak with the armored man, for sure--, and his concerns were now with regards to Haruhi and the new girl, having set out to figure their situation.

"<Haruhi...>" He interrupted with a mild tone, "<Have a destination. Amon done speaking, said we would be at...> Weyland Enterprises." Given names, always a hassle. "<Hikibain will go later, but... now know where will stay.>" In retrospect, Hoshi probably knew that as well.

Edited by Xinnidy

"<That kind of teasing doesn't really suit you,>" Eva replied, leaving it at that, as Hoshi walked past. Were they good to go, then? Seemed like talks were finishing, Daichi was walking off. She almost waved at him, wondering if it was appropriate, finally deciding against it.

"Tch..." Until she proved herself... Well. She'd just have to study extra hard with Hoshi's teachings and Shadrak's notes. Still, this whole talk had put her in a mood, and having come back to Kigen... Rin kept mentioning it, like Haruhi didn't know how bad it was. Of course she knew. That's why she left in the first place... <I'm not stupid. I just know a good opportunity when I see one... Don't hold that over me.>

Thales coming back over didn't really make things much better. "<Yes, si-- U-Uhm, I... I mean... Thales.>" The automatic response to his information made her shrink further, biting her lip. "<W-We should go, then...>"