Return of the Emblem Chapter Fifteen: Alliance

Phoenix

It's a date!

Spoiler

That was a great use of his time. Thales' decision to join Amon's weirdly stitched together group had been marked with ridiculous events and a lot of haste to get then out of there safe... in the end, Thales was short most of his belongings save  what he carried with him, and that lent itself for a pretty uncomfortable boat ride. With the chance to stockpile at Kigen, Thales was making full use of his coin and what he'd received from the group to get that semblance of decency back. Snagging Haruhi to play translator was a great idea.

Now Thales was carrying a couple of heavy bags around the town, with Haruhi in tow. The girl seemed mostly disinterested, though he hoped his next destination would be more interesting for them both. "<Ne, Haruhi.>" He spoke up, looking at his shopping partner. "<Almost over, just want clothes now.>" They were fairly close to a clothes store, Thales didn't need to know written Kigenese to tell from the assorted mannequins. "<Don't want something for yourself while here? You know... is good to change once in a while.>" He wasn't going to push that on her, but in his mind it would be good if she cared for herself some more. No matter what, in they went!

---

What was with this guy? Buying all this stuff, carrying it around like some tourist... He was a tourist though, wasn't he? Haruhi had to remind herself for a second, that he was entirely new here. It was a boring town anyway... Nothing like any actual tourist spots, just a port for in and outgoing commerce. She rolled her eyes-- not before taking a quick glance around to make sure no one saw her. Didn't want to see bored with her 'man', after all.

"<I'm fine with no clothes. You can go ahead and pick up whatever it is that you're interested in. Shopping for clothes isn't a part of my interests.>" He was so pushy about this, wasn't he? Why? Why did it matter to him? She sighed quietly, trying to look presentable.

---

Mm, that was less than excitable... Haruhi really wasn't into it, which was unfortunate. "<Shame, bet you could look cute.>" Really, though, that was a bit of missed potential, Haruhi seemed so reserved in these matters... she could totally use the self-esteem of taking care of her appearance, and she'd look good to boot! Alas...

Now now, it was the finale of his mundane shopping spree, and then he'd probably stop bothering Haruhi for the day. He was really abusing her willingness. "<Nn, does it get much cold here in Kigen?>" That'd be important so he could get himself the right clothes, Thales could get away from wearing traditional clothes by virtue of being a foreigner, but he couldn't exactly escape bad weather. Ah, this shirt looks good~ Already he was assessing the items on sale.

---

"<Enough,>" she nearly snapped at him, trying to keep it quiet. He was here to shop for himself, not her. Clothes could be damned, her would get washed when they got dirty and she'd replace them if they tore. That was all she needed. She sighed... Why was he so insistent, anyway? Shaking her head, she followed after him.

"<It gets cold here in the winter months... We should be fine as we are, for now. It wouldn't hurt to get yourself something comfortable to wear, I suppose. Don't ask me if I need anything. My scarf is plenty warm when it gets cold, and my clothes are baggy enough. If i need to, I can just fill parts up with straw. It's warm.>"

---

Hoo, that was a change of tone. No matter how he tackled the topic, Thales would be getting shut down. "Mm..." Trying to argue further would be foolish, he shouldn't even be invested to begin with, but here Thales was. Truth be told, his curiosity increased as Haruhi adamantly refused the subject  Why was she so opposed to it? Not needing it didn't mean you had to deprive yourself from the wonderful world of options and new self-images.

"<Scarf makes sense. Think I can handle the cold, Ursium can get pretty bad sometimes.>" Not as bad as Neviskotia and wherever the avians lived, though. Sounds like Thales would appreciate thicker clothes too, if need be. He could use a jacket... some spare pants for the occasion it got too cold... and a new leather belt, sturdier, yes, that'd be grand. "<Hmm, they don't have a lot of options for men here, ah well." Not a lot of places did, to be honest, he'd need to go to a bigger city to have a chance to indulge his vanity. For now, functional would do, plus that shirt with nice details. One nice addition.

"<... Hey, Haruhi.>" Thales turned around, his shifty glance was trying to be more cautious --he didn't want to set the girl off too hard. "<How long have you been trying to leave Kigen?>" It seemed like a pretty sour spot for the girl, Thales had to admit it made him pretty curious. "<Left home some years ago, but... first time outside Ursium.>" He was making a pile of the clothes that caught his interest... "<Uh, where... where is the dressing room?>"

---

Just what was the boy planning? Things seemed innocent... so far. Rin couldn't hear what they were saying from where she was watching, but body language seemed to dictate that Thales was trying to get Haruhi to do... something. Something she was opposed to... inching a bit closer, hoping not to be discovered quite yet, Rin hoped to at least get within earshot... just what was that boy planning?

---

Not men like you, anyway... Haruhi almost laughed, but she did smile... Hopefully he didn't ask why, it would be pretty rude to actually say to him. His next question, though away from clothes, was oddly personal. What was he up to? "<For several years... Ever since... I have my reasons. Probably four or so years now. I learned magic and I tried to leave... It was harder than I'd expected, so when I ran into Rin, it was a God send. She might seem overprotective, but she's just trying to keep the worst of kigen away from me.>"

"<Why do you ask? The dressing room is at the back, by the way.>"

---

"<Ho? Four years? Mm...>" What a coincidence, "<Just wanted to know. You are... careful.>" That was the best way he could put it with his Kigenese. "<All this time we were out, you were looking to others, try to keep to self.>" It was crystal clear she hated the place, Thales had an idea from what she thought of the place, but it was another thing to see her discomfort in person. "<I find strange. You ask Hoshi for help with magic only, not money to help self. To live by self is hard, should not be scared to ask some more now that are in the group. Will leave Kigen, but not very soon.>"  Sure, it was Kigen, but acting reserved and wanting to leave soon would only do her harm in the long run. Haruhi didn't need to subsist of one change of clothes or one old magic tome until then.

"<At least could learn magic. Still... don't get that, myself, but am sure it helped you.>" If he had a coin for every bullshit he saw a mage pull, Thales wouldn't need to steal for three seasons... mages weren't all that common in his previous lifestyle, but they sure were valuable allies. "<Well! On the back, alright. Thank you~>" With a brief lilt, the boy made his way to one of the dressing rooms, quick to get there but definitely not quick to leave. A byproduct of his normal outfit being vainly complex.

"Hmm, these are okay..." Muffled Common escaped the room, definitely not as excited as when Thales had entered the store. It seems things weren't up to his taste, but he had a necessity of owning different enough clothes to fulfill. "Ah! Better than expected..." It seemed the mildly narcissistic boy was happy with something, after all.

Thales left the room, and seemed pretty content with the shirt he was wearing. It was much easier to breathe through than his tunic, sleeveless and a bit low cut, but with a few streak of silver that gave it a finer look. It seemed a bit short on Thales, not quite reaching his pants and leaving some skin showing, or was that intended? "<Can wear this one on hot days, good.>" Nonetheless, the boy was perfectly casual as he walked ofer to Haruhi, carrying the rest of his clothes under his arm. "<Am happy with these. You think this look good?>" No matter her answer, he seemed pretty satisfied. "<Since you are not wanting anything, this should be done. I will go pay for them quick>"

---

"<It's not good to owe people things... Hoshi offering to teach me magic is already something that I am worried over... But if I get to learn properly, I don't mind owing her things.>" There wasn't much that Haruhi could do in return, but Hoshi had seemed excited just to have a student at all. It was a bit weird, thinking about it... Still, owing someone like this and getting proper dark mastery out of the deal... It was worth it, netirely.

"<I've never been one to rely on others so I don't really want to start. Rin showing back up is... Troubling. A bit... I just hope that she doesn't try to do everything for me once again.>" Rin had been a bit like an overbearing mother. It was appreciated at the time, but in a group like this now, those actions had lost their place. Haruhi could use more friends, thinking about it... Just bothering Shadrak and Thales wasn't exactly fair to the both of them.

Thales came back out after some mumbling, wearing something... well, it looked alright. "<Sure. If you're done, then, we can go.>" She was interested in a few items... But she wasn't going to tell him that.

---

"<Mmhm, well, not ask to rely on others all the time, but can't do all by self, right?>" Better to start a foot ahead and give it all back quicker, but maybe the two of them just had different priorities. Thales never did feel too guilty over owing people. Well, as long as it wasn't harming them, anyways... "<Rin really cares about you, hm?>" But they weren't childhood friends, according to what Thales had heard so far. "<Heheh, overbearing, hm? Maybe she wants you all for herself.>" He joked, having no idea whether that could be true. It was an amusing thought, nonetheless.

Well, that was enough of that. "<Yup, am done.>" It was time to pay, fair enough, but before that! "<Haruhi, here, take this.>" Grabbing something from his pile of clothes quickly, Thales opened the palm of his hand to reveal a simple, cute hairpin. "<Have to repay you somehow, would be lost without help, but was not too fun for you, was it?>" He smirked, "<Keep saying no to clothes, but at least can have this.>" She couldn't talk about how much she didn't like owing people and then let him owe her like that, right?

---

"<Please don't joke about that... I have no interest in women, and...>" She narrowed her eyes some, tyring not to say this too poorly, but there was no way around it. "<The thought of two women being together just rubs me the wrong way. It's just, not... Natural. Men and women are meant to be together, not two of the same.>" She shook her head, that wasn't why they were here. Trying to shrug it off, she went to follow Thales, but he seemed to have something for her...

"<But I said I don't...>" Well... He made a decent point. She'd helped him, and after what she'd just said, it would be silly to let him be the same. It was just a hair clip, anyway. Almost cute. She could probably wear it. "<Th-Thank you.>"

---

"<I-I see...>" Whoa, these were some Hot Takes for Haruhi to drop all of a sudden. It certainly blindsided Thales, who held back and bit his inner cheek for a moment of centering. Guess I'd better not tell her about my late boyfriend. Maybe he could ease her... no, it was way too sudden a topic shift, and depending on things it could be pointless at best and harmful at worst. Cuuuuuuut. "<We-well! Am sure she is good friend, overbearing mother. Maybe see you like little sister.>" Nice save there Thales.

Anyways, onto actually good things! She had accepted a thing! Finally! Thales was starting to think he'd need a dark magic ritual to actually get her proud ass to accept anything, but her reaction to the hairpin was absolutely adorable, in sharp contrast to every other moment during his shopping. Thales couldn't help but smile. "<Hah~ least can do, either hairpin or pastry.>" Just taking Haruhi along for a boring shopping spree on her end felt bad, it was good that he found a compromise. "<Think will bring attention to your cute face.>" She was a woman with plenty of potential, at least Thales thought so, it was a shame she was so shy and self-conscious as well. Thales winked at Haruhi quickly, before turning to the store owner and completing his transaction.

---

What was with him all of a sudden? Haruhi regretted accepting his gift, though the comments did make her blush, just a bit. "<I'm not really all that cute...>" And the wink! What the hell? She felt herself becoming redder, trying to hide her face as they went towards the counter. She didn't make eye contact with the shopkeep, this was Thales' business. Just, what was he trying to accomplish? Maybe it was just how he always was... It was probably that. He was just trying to be smooth, like he'd been with Lumi, earlier. Of course.

Taking a deep breath, Haruhi managed to calm herself down, before realizing, "<Wait, did you pay for this clip yet...?>"

---

Finally having closed in on the pair, Rin could hear what they were discussing rather clearly... and it seemed to be her. Had that also been the case when Haruhi had been disdainful earlier? She could only hope not... overbearing huh... Rin supposed she might come off that way. Opting to observe for a bit longer, but with a bit of a pit growing in her stomach, perhaps it was time to loosen her protection of Haruhi... somewhat.

---

Ah~ That had been worth it for her reaction alone. Haruhi couldn't hide her blushing face completely, and Thales couldn't help but smirk as he caught it. "<But you are acting cute now~>" It was best not to prod it too hard, with how reactive she could be, but there was no denying that Thales was a bit happy with it all. A bit too much, as Haruhi called out a small goof as he'd been finishing his transaction.

"<Ah! Oh, I did no-- That one, too.>" Thales tried to cover his mistake, pointing to the hairpin. Thankfully, that was quickly resolved, the shopkeeper seemed to get the gist of what he was trying to say, and simply adjusted his change. Phew, that would've been embarrassing, after coming all this way. "<Sorry, about that.>" He tried to smile it off, but the goof was done. No big harm, anyways. Now it was just about adding the purchases to his bags and leave. "<Ne, you sure not want to buy anything for self, Haruhi?>" He asked again, but quickly expanded before she groaned at him again that day. "<Not just clothes, we will leave and might fight. Don't know what mages need... new tome?>" He really didn't know how that worked.

---

"<Stop it, already.>" She couldn't get too loud right in front of the shopkeep, being kept hostage by the situation, forced to hear all of these little quips. Why did he have to do this? She sighed as he paid for his things... She took back the hairpin once it had been properly exchanged, and made for the door, arms folded. He still did look fairly silly with all those bags...

"<I didn't have anything else in mind. My tomes are still fine... And I'm not lacking in whatever else I could use... Maybe some... N-No, never mind. What did you need next?>" He'd jump on that... He definitely would, but it wasn't a silly request, she guessed... One sigh later, "<Alright, I wouldn't mind something nice to eat. It's been a while since I've had more than just bread.>"

---

It seemed Haruhi just wouldn't warm up to the compliments or teases that easily, ah well. If only it was so easy to get a good blush out of her... but Thales shouldn't be too forceful about it. A weak smirk and a nod was all he replied with. Let the ice queen have her natural habitat for a while.

...Or not. As Haruhi had let a train of thought escape, and, after a sigh, actually owed up to something. "<...Eh?>" Oh my word! It felt like an achievement all on its own, she was actually asking for something instead of making this an awkward, self-indulgent trip. Hooray, a moment of normalcy! "<Sure! We will get something. Should have said earlier, Haruhi!>" His smirk was a bit less mischievous, more grateful and genuine, as he took the lead, grabbing Haruhi's hand. "<So, hm... anything you prefer?>" Haruhi did ask, so she must have had something in mind. "There is a bakery close, if you want pastry... maybe cake? Or, before that was stand... selling, uh, curry? Is that good?>" He wasn't a connoisseur on foreign cuisine, if he was being blunt.

---

"<Wh-- h-hey, don't...>" This was his job, though... To play 'boyfriend', and make it seem natural. Though... "<Uh, w-we really shouldn't be holding hands. Public affection is... Not really appreciated in Kigen. I know you're excited and all, but...>" Hopefully he understood. As for what food. "<Curry is fine. I don't really mind anything, I just... Want something warm and filling. If you can help me get that.>" It didn't feel quite right to be asking him for things, but food was food... And he seemed really happy about it.

---

"<...Wha? Holding hands!?>" Thales couldn't handle the absurdity, raising his voice as Haruhi started to protest, and worse, explain that holding hands was an intimate thing. "Merz... <Kigen is dumb. What is so wrong with hands? Friends hold hands.>" Maybe that was the kind of logic that made Haruhi act so backwards at times. Nonetheless, Thales complied, letting out an exasperated sigh. "<Need to go other places, when we leave Kigen.>" The looming threats made it more of an 'if' than a 'when', but Thales wasn't going to get hung up on that. Not today. "<Will feel much better.>"

Well, that was enough of roasting a country he had no knowledge of. Thales led the way regardless, to the curry shop it was! Maybe the food would blow him away. "<Curry for two, please!>" He entered unceremoniously, dropping his bags by the chair he quickly chose. "<Whew, quite a bunch... needed to stock, very much. Thanks, Haruhi. Are a lifesaver.>" Thales motioned for her to sit by the table, content that he would no longer be out of his element, though some could argue he wasn't in the first place. Nonetheless... it had been worth it in his mind.

---

"<That's just how Kigen is... If you're so upset with the country, you could've stayed behind. You got on the boat just the same as I did...>" It made sense to her, as well. Why would anyone else want to see them holding hands? Things like that were better left in private. It just made sense... What was Thales' deal? Were things different across the water? She could only assume as much.

Sitting down across from him, she figured it would be worth mentioning, but he went into a little thank you speech before she could. "<Well... You're welcome. I hope you got everything you were looking for. As for etiquette around here... Affection is just better kept private. That is how the culture is. Your personal affairs remain at home. They are not against anything behind closed doors, so... Do not think that of the country.>"

---

"<Oh, come on. Need to be here. Sorry if find it dumb.>" Whether it made sense to Haruhi or not, it still seemed way exaggerated for Kigen to be bothered by a couple holding hands. It wasn't even a couple thing at times, but Thales digressed. "<Not like I will keep doing it, even if do not get it.>" Maybe that'd calm Haruhi's worries, considering how she reacted to Thales' outburst.

"<Yes... not like people push their aff... affairs, on other, back in Ursium. Never thought holding hands was that hard to ignore... but okay.>" It didn't really bode well that they were impartial towards anything behind the scenes but wanted a couple to act absolutely proper outside. Pent-up and prude-ish men weren't really nice to deal with. It was best to cut off this line of thought early if Thales did want to keep a good image of the place. "<...Hey, Haruhi, when you... leave Kigen, what do you want to do?>"

---

"<Stop fussing about it already.>" He was getting so hung up on it like it was a big deal, they weren't even dating! Gods... "<When I leave... I want to make enough money to help my family. Come back... And take care of them. Strict as they were, they loved me. My father may have been upset with me for leaving home, instead of marrying into a good family, but... If I come back and show them both that I have the ability to provide the same as he used to, then...>" She seemed a bit scared, like she knew the outcome would be unfortunate, yet she went forward anyway. "<Then i hope it will make him understand my decision.>"

---

I'm not fussing about it, you're fussing about it! Thales at least agreed that continuing that train of thought wouldn't do any good. It's not like it was the end of the world...

The curry had reached their table, Thales offered a quick smile to the bartender before they'd left, and took a good look at his plate. That was the first time he would eat curry at all. Hopefully it tasted good! Now, aside from that, there was a rather heavy backstory being dumped on him. "<Ho, you want to help them, huh? That is no... that is noble.>" Thales could only tangentially relate. His father was easy to set off and his mother passed away. "<I did not leave home on good term... made a mistake, big one. At least now am better, but... this year is mess.>" It really was, with the bandit group done for... "<Am thanking that found you guys in Urquium... hope you can get your father to see.>" It really had been the best scenario for him back then.

---

"<My father will probably not want to see me... But that's okay. As long as I can help them along, that's enough for me.>" Noble... Maybe. Her motivations were rather selfish. She didn't want to be married off like some prize cow, but she didn't want to leave her family stranded, especially after her father's injury. <I wonder if they're still doing okay...>

Poking at the curry, Haruhi was almost apprehensive about eating it, but... "Mmmm! <This is great!>" The first bite changed her mind. Curry was good no matter what. Just the right about of spice, some rice, a bit of meat in the mix... Her stomach was almost growling at the thought of getting a full plate of something so warm and filling. Even if this was Kigen... "<Thanks, Thales~>" It was enough to brighten her up just a bit.

---

"<I see...>" Thales could feel that one. He was pretty sure he crossed a bridge with his father something fierce. Unlike Haruhi, he chose to run away and not look back. "<My father... he probably hates me. Would not want to see me, or want help.>" Thales did mess up something fierce, but in the end, he was being forced into a life he had little preparation for. Would things be better if he suppressed himself? "<Hope... your family accept help, when you get there.>" Thinking back on it, his father's life was probably miserable now, with a late wife and a son that ran off to who knows where after murder. That horrible feeling sank in again. Ugh... there went his appetite.

At least, Haruhi was really enjoying her meal. That was reassuring, a pretty smile did help lift the mood. "<Heheh... no, thank you, Haruhi.>" He returned the smile, a bit weaker than her own, and poked at his own food... yeah, he could go for a bite now. "M-mmm... <Different... not bad.>" So that was curry, huh? An exquisite use of spices... a nice change from Ursium.

---

"<What'd you do to your family?>" She'd shared, why not him? Well, she hadn't exactly shared, but it was obvious she'd run away. Had Thales run away too? Maybe that made them more kindred then she'd expected. He didn't seem to be head over heels with the curry, though... His loss. She'd eat his portion if he couldn't manage it. This was warm comfort food, she could go through three bowls, if it wouldn't make her look like a massive pig.

---

"<Family... father, um...>" That was going to be complicated... not only due to the language barrier but thanks to how... convoluted it was to explain the story. "<Mother... ill, very ill. I... was sent to s-soldier training? Yes. In...> Ursentium, <big city.>" She wouldn't know by name, the onus was on Thales to describe it. "<Father really wanted to. My father... old soldier, bit important.>" Not the most, as sergeants used to not be. "<But, was, 11 year old then. Too young. Spent 4 years, almost finished... made big mistake. Angry, held weapon to superior once... hurt him.>" Thales stopped himself there, he didn't need to explicit it, that was enough. "<Threw all away... once realized that, I wanted to run. Father would hate me. Mother... was dead already>" A hand subconsciously reached for his own pendant. "<Did not know what... what would do. Was hard to start, all by self.>" He wasn't alone for all that long either, but that was another story.

---

"<... I see. My father was a soldier too. He made enough to support myself and my mother... But he was injured. Lost his arm.>" Thales had shared his story, and it was surprising to hear that his father was in the same line of work... Was it a popular thing over there, just like here? "<He couldn't work with one arm, so... It was up to me to marry into wealth, and... Well, I'm here now, so... I'm sure he is managing to hold mother up, at least. He did start to work on a farm... Even with one arm, there was plenty he could do.>"

"<And now you're here. So what happened in between?>"

---

"<L-lost his arm? I see.>" That was a grim prospect. Archery was in the family, if his father were to lose one arm, he would have to wonder how his old man would survive. "<No option but to marry... that sound bad too.>" Being put in a situation they didn't want seemed to be a theme, it was kind of surprising how their stories held plenty of common themes. "<My father... old, but not too much. All must do is work.>" There was a real chance they'd cross paths again, thankfully that never happened.

Haruhi became curious about Thale's more recent past.. Now that was a doozy. "<Like you, found people, not all nice people, but helped me.>" No, they were definitely unlike Rin... he sighed. "<Was a gang,>" He spoke in a quiet tone, "<Helped steal, got some to self. All were like this, had all kind of people too. Smart, dumb, old, young... people I did not like and people I liked... liked much.>" For a moment Thales couldn't hide a blush, but quickly shook his head, he digressed. "<Was not very right, but I survived. Felt safe... but would not last forever. One night we got caught leaving one village, soldier ambush.>" He winced, "<Had no chance. Me and a few escaped, did not want to talk to them, just hide. Went to...> Urquium, <met group there. Got on boat... you know rest.>" That... that was way too much to talk about. He was thirsty, but a mouthful of curry would do, all the while avoiding eye contact.

---

"<Left behind a nice girlfriend?>" It was fun listening to his story and poking at it. That blush couldn't have been ignored, and especially with what he'd said... She wanted to know more.

---

Crap. She honed in right on that detail!? "Ah, um..." That was going to be awkward. There was no way he was going to simply brush off that hesitation, now. "<Actually...>" That was a bad idea, that was such a bad idea, but Thales wasn't going to lie about this... but he was going to whisper. "<B-boyfriend...>" Another mouthful of curry, looking away as if nothing had happened.

---

Did... He use the right word? No, he was embarrassed, he had to have, what? Boyfriend? What!? "<Ew.>" What was with these people? First that girl from before, now Thales? "<Sincerely, what is wrong with Ursians? That's just... Not right.>"

---

Ah, there it was, that not all uncommon reaction. At least she didn't explode on him, Thales could roll his eyes as she wondered if all Ursians were like this. "<Not like all Ursian are fine with that.>" No, no. Thales was sure his father would straight up disown him if he piled that on the list and came back home.

"<Does not matter. Not regret it, but he is dead now. Just... like who I do, not care if man or woman, that not matter much, to me... others care, I know.>" He wasn't going to flaunt it, though. Heck, he was keeping his voice low because of where they were. It was dangerous alright. "<Why you find it wrong?>"

---

"<Because it isn't natural... Men and women are supposed to be together. We fit. We have kids. We support each other... You're missing parts if you have the same together, and it's just... Not, right.>" It was what she'd been taught, and with how people were, it did make sense.

---

"<What if you are a woman, try a lot, but never have kids? That mean you should not have somebody? Deserve be alone because gods made you 'broken'? Because nothing 'fit'?>" Hoo boy, that was discourse alright. Far from Thales' strong suit, but he'd heard 'the plumbing doesn't work' enough times that he had kind of a response ready. Kind of. "<It not all about 'fitting', kids are good, but some couples can not have. Support each other not need different parts. We are all different. Even man and man.>" Ugh, was this going to take a while? That'd be really unfortunate. Things were going so good too... Thales sighed again. "<Sorry... if ruined appetite.>" At least she acted grossed out, so that was assumed.

---

"<Well... That's... That's something else entirely. Look, that's just how things are around here, and its what I was taught. If you want to be weird, you can catch a boat back to the other side... Sorry, if I brought up bad memories.>" Getting confronted with the situation was weird... Seeing Thales upset by what she'd said, too... <I'm not wrong... That's just how things are. That's all...> So thats why Thales joked earlier about her and Rin being together. <I mean... I... I dunno, I shouldn't even be thinking about this!>

---

"<Yes. Yes. Will not be weird while am here, mama... not really find anybody that am interested like that, again.>" As much as he joked, he hadn't made a close connection with anyone from the group. He joked and flirted, but that was how he took life at that point. Thales got some cute reactions from Lumi and Haruhi, but it was nothing he saw as serious yet. It just felt good to get that kind of reaction from people, he enjoyed the attention a bit too much, a shame it had to end that way with his boyfriend... "<Is okay, has been... while, now.>" It really had, hadn't it? That was a joyless thought... "<Was more worried that would scare you, with gang thing.>" He certainly wasn't expecting it to turn into Haruhi outing his sexuality.

---

What were those idiots doing, openly discussing something like that in public? At the very least, Rin had grown a bit softer on Thales... the man seemed to have his own hardships to deal with, but both of them were going to get put away, at the rate. Stepping towards the duo, Rin walked up to their table rather casually, pulling a chair to it and sitting next to Haruhi as if it was just a natural thing to do.

"<You two should be careful what you discuss in public.>"

---

Well, that was a surprise and a half. Look at who up and showed so unceremoniously as if she'd been there all along... she totally had been tailing them, huh? "R-Rin..." Thales wasn't quite sure if Rin hated him or what, she certainly seemed overprotective of Haruhi, for what it was worth. "<We were not being very loud... I think.>" He especially wanted to whisper the part where he was in a gang, that'd sound real bad. Maybe he got a bit caught up when Haruhi started going 'eww', though...

"<Were, you following us?>" It wouldn't hurt to be a bit direct now that the cat was out of the bag, though it was mostly curiosity. He had no idea how Rin's mind worked yet.

---

"<Don't be snarky with me. I should turn and walk away, but I'm trying to tolerate your mistakes and keep you from getting yourself killed. There are a lot of people here who would get violent over hearing something like that... Gangs are whatever, they aren't worse than bandits here. Hi, Rin-- RIN!?>" Haruhi slapped a hand over her mouth, surprised to see the woman come seemingly out of nowhere, hoping no one took notice of her surprise.

"<Wh-What are you doing here?>" Was she following them?

---

"<I saw you two out and about so I decided to make sure that you weren't doing anything weird to Haru-run. I'm a bit less worried about that now... but now you've got me worried you'll get her thrown in jail by association.>" Rin replied nonchalantly, keeping her voice low whilst leaning back in her chair.

---

Sigh. Haruhi wasn't reacting at all nicely to a little bit of snark, that was so unfortunate... in retrospect, hearing Haruhi say it out loud, Thales had used poor wording to describe his previous group. It was totally more towards bandits, but he wouldn't be caught dead saying that out loud. That this was somehow better than liking a man was more than irksome to him, though, and now there were TWO girls telling him bow bad it was as opposed to one. Humiliating.

"<I got it, I got it...>" Thales conceded, sounding tired and defeated. He definitely shouldn't have touched the subject, loathe as he did hiding it. "<Sorry, Haruhi. Did not want to put in danger.>" His eyes were closed, best way to go about it was pit some distance --it stung a bit, he wasn't gonna lie--. "<'Haru-run' was just helping me get clothes and supply for self, she didn't want any. Could just ask, Rin...>"

---

"<We were just shopping, nothing else... Why are you here? You aren't following me again, are you?>" Honestly, this girl... Haruhi didn't need babysitting, and Thales wasn't going to do anything to anyone. He was harmless... Was she honestly worried? "<We aren't going to get thrown in jail over this, Gods... We'll get a talking to at best. That's all. Don't be like that.>"

---

"<You can never be too careful. Like I said, I saw you two and just wanted to make sure everything was alright.>" Rin replied, pausing for a moment to try and gather her thoughts.

"<I have to say though, I think you should... try to be more open, Haru-run. You want to leave Kigen to be more free, but you don't want to stop embracing traditional Kigenese ideals. Even if you make it to Ursium... you'll never be happy, if you're constantly clinging to the past.>"

---

"Haaaa?" Haruhi stared at her like she'd just said the most confusing thing ever. "<What, with this? Him? Uh... That's not even ideals, it just makes sense. Don't start with this... No way...>" Thales had joked... But... "<Please tell me you're not like him, too.>"

---

Oh, that topic just took a turn alright. Damn, Thales was planning to poke fun  of Rin's overprotectiveness by bringing it up, but there seemed to be truth in jest. "<Mmhmm~, a 'man-eater' that keeps friend so close... Are pretty greedy, huh, Rin?>" He smiled, making sure to keep his voice low, he'd learned his lesson. "<Hehe~ well, will find people you not like wherever go. Is just part of learn to live in new place, really. Even in Ursium, small village and big city people act different.>"

---

"<Like him in what way?>" Rin replied with a teasing grin adorning her face, before leaning into the table and quieting her voice.

"<I've laid with men before, so I suppose in that way, I am. Don't know if I'm as much of a man-eater as he is, though.>" She noted, before returning back to a normal volume.

"<My point is, Haru-run, that you're thinking very... Kigenese about things. Which is how you were raised, of course... but the reason you want to leave Kigen is to get away from that sort of thinking. People outside of Kigen are not just entirely accepting of everything, but the difference is that...people are allowed to do things that not everyone would consider normal. And it is okay to not prescribe to those things, but other places look down on suppressing things just because they are not what you would consider normal.>" Rin began, rolling her words about in her head a bit as she spoke them.

"<Even if you do not... agree with relationships of that kind, to attack them like most would in Kigen... do you not think that is hurtful to Thales? While he should not speak of them openly here, of course, by reacting as you did, you hurt one of the friends you've made... you don't have very many, yet. Part of trying to leave Kigen is to... temper that part of yourself.>"

---

"<You know exactly what I mean, Rin. You're not hiding anything with that smile.>" Ugh, she was, wasn't she? Haruhi surprised a groan, looking over at the door... The rest of the world was fine with this sort of stuff? Really? She couldn't believe it. Was this love garbage that strong? That it would go against nature? She ended up rolling her eyes, taking an angry bite of her curry.

"<Fine. Sorry.>"

---

"<O-oi... not like all I do is sleep with men...>" Thales whispered. At least he now knew the word he heard at the docks meant exactly what he thought it meant, but the shade was a bit rude! There wasn't much he could do to contest Rin, comparing their 'conquests' would feel pretty damning no matter the results. "<But... yes. Not every place is like Kigen on that, but will find most people think like you, Haruhi. Just not aggressive... like Kigen feels like.>" Or at least the Kigen the girls were talking about. Hopefully it would get Haruhi prepared for any cultural shock, but it really wasn't as big a deal as the conversation made it sound...

It seemed like, despite every good intention beneath their lecturing, Haruhi was still feeling rather upset. "<Is fine, Haruhi. Have dealt with worse, did not hit me over it. Am not... not just all about that, okay? Had fun today.>"

---

"<I'm just trying to say that you should try to work on it, that's all.>" Rin corrected somewhat... Haruhi seemed irritated... was that due to the subject matter, or her own appearance? Biting her lip a bit, Rin reflected somewhat. Would Haruhi be better off left to her own devices? It was difficult to say...

---

"<What if I don't want to work on it? Tch...>" This was getting kinda preachy, and on something she wasn't really comfortable with. With a sigh, she went back to her curry, trying not to get too bothered. "<Anything else you want me to learn, you freaky lesbian?>" She rolled her eyes again, this wasn't going to disappear any time soon, and the way Rin was trying to play things off, ugh.

"<If it's a problem then let's talk about something else. Glad you had fun, Thales.>"

---

"<So is this just going to be a thing, now? I'm just trying to prepare you for life outside of Kigen.>" Rin replied with an exasperated expression, rolling her eyes back at Haruhi.

---

"<H-hey, Haruhi... is Rin not friend?>" Ouch, that wasn't a good reaction at all, it was clear that Haruhi was done with this topic for now. "<Will be in Kigen for some time, do not need to worry now if not feel like...>" They didn't need to put all this pressure onto her immediately, it was best to find a new topic. "<And I know... know is no good here. Will keep quiet, about self, okay? Many rules here... at least food is nice.>" Curry was starting to grow on his, these spices complimented it fine.

---

Haruhi sighed. "<... Yeah. Sorry... What else did you want to do today, Thales?>" Maybe if he had somewhere he wanted to go they could get away from this for now.

---

"<Me? I...>" He felt pretty much done, but maybe suggesting something the three could enjoy would be good... should it exist. "<Mm, had not planned much else in town... No need stock on food, maybe check out a fun place, but doubt town has much. Not really big place, is it? Oh could visit... have hot spring here?>" He'd heard there were some, that sounded like it could be nice... or could it? The more Thales thought about it, the more it hit that it would just be uncomfortable. It was simply bathing in hot water, with a bunch of strange men in public. Men that were probably grossed out by him. Gods forbid it were crowded, too. "<No. Nevermind. Not that, something else.>" The look of contemplation in his face quickly shifted to disturbed.

"<Ah, do they have, um, what is the name... 'bow'... bow maker?>" 'Fletcher' and 'arrow' escaped him, so Thales went for the closest word construction. It was entirely selfish of a stop, unfortunately, but it did have a point, his bow was going to see use eventually. Thales should best not be caught off-guard. "<Have not... not take care since, port town back in Ursium.>" Rin wouldn't know, so just saying the name would be confused  "<Not think have much fun to see here, yes? Not too big place.>"

---

Perhaps it was time to give Haruhi some space, after all. It seemed she was going further and further towards wanting little to do with her upon each meeting, at this point... she might end up getting hurt but... was it her place to worry about that, any more? Perhaps if she wanted to throw her lot in with another group and trust them for her safety, that just meant it was time to move on... maybe.

"<Well, have fun with that then.>" Rin stated bluntly, standing from her chair and pivoting on her heel in a single, fluid motion as she began to walk towards the exit. She had done what she had promised, after all... she had gotten Haruhi out of Kigen... and the girl had chosen to come back.

---

"弓? <Oh, a Fletcher. There's probably one in town... You know how to use a bow? I had no idea, but I guess we haven't had to properly fight yet, so-->" Rin knew how to be dramatic, didn't she? Getting up to leave like that, so suddenly. What was all of that talk for, then? What was the point? Of course, Haruhi wasn't convinced, it would take more than one simple conversation thrown at her from two friends, but they were trying to do something. What was this nonsense, then?

"Oi." Haruhi sprang up, catching Rin by the arm before she could leave. Her expression a mix of confusion and a bit of frustration, she paused to pull the right words out. "<You're... My friend, right? So why are you leaving now? I said I was sorry... So stay with us, please?>" Hopefully this tiny plea would reach.

---

"<Y-yes. That. I do, use a bow.>" That must have been it, another word for Thales to commit to memory. Seemed like Haruhi could continue guiding him for a while... but first, Rin. She looked like she had the joy sapped out of her. It made sense, being called a 'freaky lesbian' just had to suck, and how dismissive Haruhi wanted to be about it.

Thales wasn't exactly close to Rin, but this was an issue that hit very close to home. "<Think Haruhi would like... if could see you, instead of you being sneaky. Can not talk for her... but sure she not meant to tell you to go away. Talk about you like friend. Right, Haruhi?>" It made sense to feel rejected after the way her friend acted, but hopefully Rin would put it past her with some encouragement. "<Would not mind if came along. More company.>"

---

"<I was just... considering my place in things. You don't seem to want me around too much, anymore.>" Rin replied... somewhat surprised by Haruhi's reaction. Perhaps she had given the girl a bit more credit than she actually wanted, as much as she was trying to project that she had grown up on her boat ride.

---

"<Who said I don't want you around? You're one of two friends that I have... I just don't want you to be my mom. I'm in a group that can handle itself now, so... If you could be my friend instead, I'd appreciate it. Really...>" She was... Definitely one of those sorts of people, then. That's all they'd talked about, and she was suddenly trying to leave. Haruhi wanted to bite her lip, but couldn't, it would just make her look anxious. <As long as she doesn't try to push things on me... I guess... I can deal with it.>

---

"<Well, your actions since you've come back, mostly.>" Rin replied with a sigh, turning back around and sitting down at the table once again, gently pulling Haruhi along with her.

"<Ever since I've met you, my main priority has been keeping you safe. It's difficult to simply turn that on it's head so quickly.>"

---

Oh boy... Thales scratched his head. Now the two were into a pretty personal conversation. He got it, things were far more personal with them than with him, so there wasn't much he could add onto the conversation there, this time. He held his arm, staring quietly at his curry. It was a sign what the two had was special though. As an outsider... it was interesting to see.

---

"<Well start turning it. I didn't expect to run into this situation either, but I'm trying to make the best of it... Thales is a pretty okay guy... He's obsessed with me getting new clothes, but otherwise, he's been a good friend these past days. But... He's still having to pretend to be my boyfriend. So... Having someone more normal around would be really nice. I dunno how much you can acclimate to being in a group, but...>" Circles, going in circles.

"<How about we go and see about this bow stuff?>"

---

"<I suppose I can try. Surprised you're so eager to be around, what did you say, a freaky lesbian?>" Rin replied, a sigh escaping her lips before sticking tongue out at Haruhi momentarily, more like darting it out with how quickly it receded back to her mouth.

"<And a fletcher, right? I know one in the area... my preferred guy runs shop further inland, but this guy is a decent re-supplier, at the very least.>" Rin added afterwards... may as well contribute something useful.

---

"<Not obsessed, just suggest. Have more than one change of clothes, is good for you.>" Thales quickly protested when Haruhi made her jab at him, but he wasn't going to question her over the having someone more normal bit. The meaning eluded him a bit... probably had to do with being comfortable around him. Makes sense. "<Group is pretty small for task... can use more people that know Kigen, at least think so. Will not make big deal about 'freaky lesbian'... not that know of.>" Angelica and Eva were a thing, right? Thales wasn't about to put words in Amon's or Hoshi's mouths, but he was pretty sure they wouldn't turn down native help... Ah, he'd need to know her stance on demons, for Canaan's sake. Mm. Let's save that for later.

"<Yes.>" Thales stood up from his seat, finally on call for his next destination. "<We go... er, you take me there, yes. Thank you, Rin. Still not know here very well.>"

---

"<If you aren't, then deny it... Otherwise, just, don't talk to me about it. I need you to be my friend not... Not anything else.>" If she couldn't do that much, then why go through all that effort to keep Haruhi alive and get her here in the first place? Was it not because she cared? The mage could only hope so.

"<Yeah, let's go, then. Get whatever he needs done already.>"

---

"<I suppose the best way to put it is that compared to stuff like personality and how I get along with them, the gender of my partner doesn't matter, so much.>" Rin replied in a more hushed tone, shrugging her shoulders in hopes of finally putting that conversation into the dirt.

"<I suppose if that's it, I can show you to the fletcher. I need to pick up an order anyway.>" Rin added, getting up from her seat as well and beginning to move towards the door.

---

Heh. That wasn't too far away from Thales' own outlook. It was surprising to have quite a few similarities to Rin, perhaps she wouldn't be that much of a stranger to him in due time.

"<Fletcher, yes. No chance to make plenty choice... if you trust him, will do so too.>" Beggars couldn't be choosers.Thales would make do, he mostly just wanted to get a reliable stock for himself again. "<Have admit did not expect you to care for bows too, Rin. Use one for self?>"

---

"<I do, yes. It's never a bad idea to take out an opponent before he realizes you're there.>" Rin replied to Thales... it seemed if Haruhi had anything to say, she was taking a moment to articulate her thoughts... well, no matter. Pausing a moment so Thales could get the rest of his meal for the road, Rin began to lead the way towards the fletchers once the duo seemed ready to follow.

---

"<Yes. Not just that... good bowman do not let enemies close.>" Sometimes the best defense was having to way to be countered, but that was a conversation too needless at the moment, Thales digressed. "<So we are going... not quite finished, will ask to take rest home, do they do that, Haruhi?>" He turned to the girl with a curious look. The customs in Kigen were so weird he wouldn't put it past them to find leftovers to be a great offense at that point. <"Did not pay yet, so... will do that.>"

---

"<Only personality?>" Haruhi didn't have a comeback for that... Weren't those just supposed to be friends, though? You didn't fall in love with your friends, that was... Something different, wasn't it? No, she couldn't be thinking any other way about this, it just didn't make sense... But, what Rin said made sense too... <I give up. It's not worth my time. Just keep it away from me.>

It had only been a few minutes walk to the local fletcher from the restaurant Thales and Haruhi had chosen to eat at, Rin's natural tendency to take shortcuts through various back roads and alleyways had helped in that regard... possibly a bad habit to pass on to Haruhi, but if she was to learn it, she already had by this point. Stepping through the door silently, Rin rapped her knuckles against the counter to announce her presence.

"<Takahashi? It's Shimazu, I'm here for my order. I have an... acquaintance who may want to make a purchase, as well.>" She noted, waiting a moment for the fletcher to come out from the back room, a grizzled older man, greying hair tied back into a top knot and donning a well-kept moustache and beard. Giving Rin a knowing nod as he stepped in, the fletcher's wise eyes scanned across Thales and Haruhi, before presenting Rin with a wrapped package and little fanfare. From the size of it, it had to contain a bow.

"<Of course, Shimazu-san. All as you requested. And what can I get for your... acquaintance?>"

---

That had been a very... weird road to the Fletcher, Thales was wondering if said man ran a somewhat fishy business on the side, but by the time they've reached the store they seemed to be in pretty casual neighborhoods again, at least in his eyes. Maybe it had just been to save time. "<Know area well, huh, Rin?>" Thales spoke under his breath, the group definitely could use more people that knew Kigen like this, but he wasn't going to push any further comments.

"<Ta... Mister Takahashi? Wanted to stock on arrows, like to know what you have.>" Thales would have to brace over his poor Kigenese and get to the point. "<Use bow for very long distance. Not very big, but... tough to pull. Arrow need have bit more weight, but not too much, so can travel far.>" The man would likely know from the first two sentences already, but Thales figured it couldn't hurt to be a bit more clear with his Kigenese.

---

Arrows. How boring. Haruhi rolled her eyes and fished a tome out of her robes, deciding to give some of the lines a look over. Maybe get in a spell or two while they dealt with their arrows. <Personality... Huh...>

---

"<Hmm...> Forgive my assuming, but it seems like you might prefer common to Kigenese. Am I right?" The fletcher noted, before turning around and pulling two distinct types of arrows off of a shelf. Both seemed to have similar shafts and feathering, the main difference being the arrowheads themselves.

"Well, these bodkins here are lightweight and meant for long distance, the longer points are good at penetrating armour. The broadheads are heavier and wider, so they do more damage to a lightly armoured target, but don't fly as far." Takahashi noted, gesturing to each type in turn.

"If you're looking for something custom, I can make it if you get me a design, but it takes time to make 'em, and it'll cost extra."

---

"Oh, Common would be perfect. Thank you." Thank goodness the old man could speak common, that'd make things easier. No longer needing to stretch out his Kigenese to the Gate and back just to buy arrows, Thales could simply focus on getting the best deal. The salesman was quick in showing the types in display, and furthermore hinted that he could design customs. That sounded great, but in hindsight Thales had done quite some purchases since his arrival in Arugai. Hindsight and all that, but it was best to cut his losses.

"Hmm, I usually handle bodkins, these will do... I'm curious about this custom design you're offering, I'll admit. How many do you usually make for a custom order?" He was never that good with money...

---

"Well, that'd depend on the intricacy of the design, as well as how much gold you're willing to part with, and how long you're willing to wait for them to be made. As you'd expect, more arrows costs more gold, but unless you're looking for some sort of rare material, or the supplier is having issues, so long as the gold is right, you can order as many as you want." Takahashi replied, moving to put the broadhead away, since of the default options, Thales seemed more interested in the bodkins.

Meanwhile, Rin had taken to watching Haruhi's antics with her tome whilst Thales did his shopping. She had been awfully quiet ever since they had left the restaurant, and was not withdrawing into her book.

"<Something wrong, Haru-run? You're quiet.>"

---

Oh great, more Common. She rolled her eyes and turned away, conjuring a tiny ball of dark magic, almost a full flux. It was decent practice, and despite the jump she got from Rin's sudden approach, she'd managed to keep the magic formed. A good improvement. "<Don't really have anything to say while you buy bows and arrows. Trying to keep myself entertained...>"

---

"Mmhmm, I see..." Thales clicked his tongue. It was more vague than he wished, but Thales could work with that. "I'll take the bodkins, two pair of dozens should be more than enough for now... "Do you... work with poisons? I might be interested in a small batch of special arrows if it's not a tall task... I'm interested in something that dulls a target's senses." Was he doing something wrong in asking the man? He hoped not. The Kigenese seemed to know their fair bit around exotic poisons. Something that was strong in small doses would be tricky to find, but considering they were going to fight demons... he'd need the strong stuff.

---

"Two dozen bodkins comes out to three silver, twenty-six copper. Now, if you're looking to add more punch..." Takahashi began, reaching under the counter and placing a reasonably sized bottle atop it.

"That makes things a bit more expensive. A bottle like this usually goes for about four gold pieces. It's derived from some native vines, and when it gets into a wound, it induces localized paralysis. If the dose is high enough, it can cause a target to die from suffocation, but it's not practically lethal on it's own, most of the time. Used wisely, this much should last a good, long while. Application is on you though, if you just coat the arrows and quiver them, it won't hold potency for more than a few days left to the air outside of the bottle." He explained, leaning into the counter top.

"<I see, I see... well, if you say so. Though it might be good to pay attention to those sorts of things... never know when it might be useful.>" Rin noted, watching Haruhi's ball of darkness float about in the air, vaguely listening to Thales' interaction with the fletcher.

---

"<I'm not going to ever use a bow... And knowing what Thales does isn't going to help him. I'd rather spend time practicing my magic. It's difficult...>" The sphere grew just a bit, as Haruhi bit her lip. She was just trying to keep it stable, it was great practice for fighting and her stamina.

---

That... that was quite a sum. Holy Mercy. He could've done without that herbal skin moisturizer for this, aaaah, hindsight~ "I see..." The rate of exchange from Ursium to Kigenese coins was a bit kinder overall... but he didn't have all that much left. If he were to go for the poison now he'd certainly have no money left until... whenever he was paid next. Not promising after this advance. I... I don't need to buy anything else until whenever they pay me more, I hope. "I will take a bottle... one and a half dozen arrows, then. If that's okay with you." Hoo boy, no more restaurants for him.

---

"In that case, it'll be four gold, two silver, and thirty-four copper." The fletcher responded, pulling out some more bodkin arrows to complete the set, and fanning them out on the counter top.

"<I suppose I can't blame you, since they're speaking common, but they were actually talking about poison. Knowing how something like that works could be important if you or an ally ends up getting hit by something similar.>" Rin explained, taking care to try not to distract Haruhi from her practice all too much.

---

"<I can't speak common, so what's the point? I don't have a clue what they're going on about.>" Just a tiny but bigger, aaaand... Hold it. There. Proper flux spell. Now she just had to make sure she could keep it like this...

---

"Yeah, that sounds fine." It didn't, it crushed Thales' heart to count the money right then, but he wasn't going to back out now. "Pleasure doing business with you." Now Thales had to be careful with those arrows and the poison... he was a good shot, he wouldn't bring harm to his allies with it, and he could make do with the arrows as long as he picked them off the targets later --provided they would live to see the tale, of course--. Thales was sure to find creative uses for it.

Turning back to the girls, Haruhi seemed on her own world trying to cast a spell for... whatever reason. Thales didn't understand it, but she wouldn't cast something reckless there. His transaction done, the money handed over to the fletcher and his purchases packed and added to his many bags --with care not to break or puncture anything--, Thales walked to meet them again. "<I am done, you two. Thanks for direction, Rin... probably most useful thing did today.>" Now he owed her, a bit.

---

Giving Thales an affirmative nod, Takahashi took the coins offered by the young archer, goods already laid out on the table.

"<Just... something to keep in mind for the future. Maybe you can ask him, about it... still, that thing looks a lot more stable than it did before you left... you really have been practicing, huh?>" Rin noted, as Thales came back over, business seemingly concluded.

"<It's no big deal, really. Like I said, I had something to pick up myself, anyway.>"

---

"<I guess... And of course. This isn't a hobby, I'm very serious about my magic. I even have a few teachers now. So... I would hope it would. I guess if you're noticing, I'm making decent progress.>" Haruhi closed her eyes as Thales came back over, slowly dissipating the magic until it was gone.

"<Okay... Bows dealt with. What now?>"

---

"<What now? Eh...>" Now Thales was pretty sure he had nothing left to buy for himself. "<Done. Got what wanted.>" Thales shrugged, "<Thanks for help, Haruhi. Just need to... carry this to Weyland.>" Haruhi and Rin had been a great help, so far. There wasn't much else Thales could ask for. It was a fun time for him... a shame Haruhi didn't seem all that thrilled.

---

"<That's good... I am glad you were able to find someone to teach you, as much as I wish it didn't involve you having to come back here...>" Rin replied, trailing off for a moment as Thales approached.

"<It is up to you two. I'm pretty much a tagalong, as it were.>"

---

"<Guess we go back to Weyland's then. Glad you got everything you needed sorted out.>" She closed her book and stuffed it back into her clothes, folding her arms. If this was all, then at least they were done. Some of it had been fun... Some.

---

"<Yeah...>" Haruhi seemed just as thrilled as when Thales was dragging her around prior. Ah well, it was fun for him anyways. "<It was fun. With cute girl company, even buy medicine is fun. Thanks, 'Haru-run'~>" With a mischievous, self-satisfied smile, Thales led the way to the exit. Time to get back to their temporary quarters.

---

"<Yeah, yeah-- O-Oi! Who said you could call me that?>" Gods, was this ridiculous nickname going to circulate further? It was bad enough that Rin used it, now Thales? "<My name is Haruhi! Ha, ru, hi! Don't start tossing that nickname around too!>" A groan left her as she followed after him, shaking her head.

---

"<Yeah, only I get to call Haru-run Haru-run~>" Rin echoed... somewhat, sticking her tongue out a bit as she did so.

---

Thales smiled back at both, his move having achieved about what he expected. "<Wha, no fair, Rin! Can not share?>" He bemoaned in mock protest. She'd have the rights for 'Haru-run' all to herself? What a crime! It was easy to roll off the tongue, too. "<Yes, yes, Haruhi. Let we go~>" That had been a fun way to spend the day, at least...

---

"<It's not like I like her calling me it either... She just won't stop no matter what, and I can't stop her. I can stop you!>" Haruhi huffed, shaking her head, the curl of a smile slipping onto her face. At least things would be lively...

---

"<Nope nope. Haru-run privileges are mine only.>" Rin continued in a jovial manner, a smile forming on her own face as Haruhi could no longer hide hers.

"<Good, you're smiling, I was starting to worry you had forgotten how.>"

---

Thales had taken the rest of the early afternoon to groom himself some. By the time he'd left his room, the boy's wandering mind still held too many questions about the group's future. Was everything with the two armies on their tail going to be handled fine? While Weyland seemed influential, the boy wondered how safe they really were. The noises as he made his way around the building only made him more concerned. Thales would need to talk with his contractors... even though he wasn't sure how the group's chain of command worked, again. Damn, slacking off too much. Things weren't just going to be fine if he just put his blind faith on others and went with the flow.

The Rexians should know. They seemed like the most informed anyways. Thales would just need to remember where they were... or not. He could guide himself as he heard some voices, then an employee standing by an open door. Curious. He could ask there, probably. Now, what was the name of the distressed one with a cute face and (no longer, whew) creepy eyes...?

"Is Amon here--" Oh, uh, that was a busy hallway... That Hikibain guy from before was there as well, which probably meant Amon was in the room. Thales' concern started to grow. "...Um, bad timing?" Maybe it was best to turn around and wait for now, Thales didn't want more attention on his end, for sure...

Edited by Xinnidy

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/9/2018 at 3:50 AM, Mercakete said:

"You are on an important mission," Daichi replied, both calmly and seriously. "As one of the Hikiba, it is my duty to escort you to the emperor as quickly as possible. Hindrances to this mission will not be permitted. If this group insists on harassing you, I will speak with them myself." <I thought it was only the Ursian and Neviskotian militaries who can in with those two ships, but perhaps I was mistaken.>

"Sweet, that works out pretty well," Jam commented. This Daichi guy was really helpful. He really needed them to see the emperor. With Amon being all wishy washy on what to do first, it was refreshing to see someone make a decision. As long as no one said anything stupid, this meeting would go off without a hitch.

"And if that doesn't work, we can always drop another magic boat on 'em, right?"

For the Best

Daichi's suggestion of involving himself to save time was sound, given the gravity of their mission. That didn't stop Amon from feeling bad about it, but before he and his guilty conscience could weigh in on the matter, Thales chimed in from just outside, apparently looking for him. Having noticed that there was a serious discussion going on, he quickly quieted down, leaving the floor open for Jamilla.

Unfortunately, she let slip just enough to raise even more questions, and Malik couldn't hide how irritated that made him. Fortunately ... using the broadest possible definition of the word, the Regalia was gone. No amount of interrogation would produce a giant magical ship. But unfortunately, everyone but Daichi knew about it, and they didn't have the time or the privacy to come up with a cover story. Malik remained silent, giving Amon the chance to decide how they would proceed, and waiting to see how much interest, if any, Daichi had in Jamilla's quip.

Having no idea what else to do, Amon tried to push ahead. "I don't like dragging you into this, but if you think if we can avoid a fight that way, then it's probably for the best ..."

At first, the exuberant girl's comment was a little surprising, and at first, Daichi chalked it up to yet another strange, northerner expression. But other memories caused him to formulate another explanation. The reactions of the others seemed to only solidify the theory, outlandish as it was.

Ambassador Ungur had mentioned that the Neviskotian flagship had disappeared, and that the associated navy didn't know where it had gone to. They suspected that the Ursians had a warping device of some sort that they had used to separate the sailors from their ship. Ambassador Ospina had thought that the two unaligned ships -- the ships that the group had taken -- had sunk it. They, or special Ursian forces, anyway. The Ursian ambassador was certain that the Ursian regulars hadn't been behind the ship's disappearance.

All that, coupled with what the girl had said, and in addition to the unease it had stirred... And, perhaps, it wasn't a group of Ursians and Neviskotians that this group under Weyland were fleeing, but the respective navies themselves. Given Weyland's insatiable curiosity, and disregard for law, the Hikibain wouldn't put it past him to steal the Neviskotian flagship for study. <So arrogant...> To brag about such a thing among a man of the law, even if he wasn't a servant to the Neviskotian emperor or the Ursian king... And supposedly, for Professor Weyland to present yet another affront against the law...

Daichi's eyes had turned cautious and cold. They slid to Jamillia, ignoring Amon's response entirely. "What, exactly, do you mean by that?"

He wasn't going to rush to conclusions...but at this point, he also had little patience for more lies. He would not allow himself to be strung along again, or taken advantage of. And he certainly couldn't protect the enemies of Kigen's neighbors without his own country having sanctioned it. <We need to deliver the message to Emperor Yamato...but it does not take this many people to deliver a message. Perhaps I should only escort one, and then return him...but I must give them a chance to explain themselves. Perhaps it really is just a saying after all. I mustn't overreact. And, of course, if it truly is the foreign navies who I am to meet with, then I will find that out when I see them, and I will certainly hear the truth from them. I am certain that we can come to an understanding if that is the case, and come to a mutually beneficial agreement.>

Jam! Jam what are you doing!? Why!? Screaming internally was the best Eva could manage as the girl nearly ruined their arrangements entirely. Was there a cover up for this? Just her having a fantastic imagination? Not knowing what she was talking about? Anything? It didn't feel like there was a way out of this without explaining the situation... Would it make things worse to explain it now, having opted not to mention it this far? Eva didn't know, Malik wasn't saying anything, Amon was trying to ignore it... Would either of them chime in and try to cover things up? Eva didn't have a clue as to what to say to save this, so...

Should I just, say what happened? Will that ruin all of this? "Well..." She wanted to, in part. But, she paused, just a moment, hoping one of Amon or Malik would either take the bullet for her as higher ranking members, or have a brilliant excuse. Preferably the latter.

Oh, this looked like trouble, didn't it? That was a Hikibain... Haruhi tugged on Thales' sleeve quietly, stepping behind him somewhat. "<We should probably take a step away... This smells like the worst kind of trouble.>" Hopefully no one else would hear her whispering into his ear. Getting involved with a Hikibain was the last thing she wanted to do today.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Daichi's eyes shifted from Jamilla to Eva when the woman began to speak. She seemed very uncertain and quite uncomfortable. With the same, frigidly eerie calm to his tone as he'd addressed the dancer with, he asked the wyvern rider, "Hm? Was there something you wanted to say about this, Eba-san?"

Oh gods, the tension in the hallway could be cut with a knife, alright. Thales could definitely hear Amon from inside, so at least that was a correct hunch... but it was pretty useless right then. The Hikibain from the port, Mr. Kazemi, had a noticeable shift in tone. Thales could make out that the man's expression was not as amiable as when they first met from that angle... could he tell Thales was here too? Thales really hoped not. The frigidness in Kazemi's voice certainly hit a note in Thales, body turning stiff as he contemplated the situation. The idea of pissing off a military figure and losing their best bet for the gate mission was... dreadful, to say the least.

I should... I shouldn't stay here, just standing around like that. If he turns around and questions me I'll just seem suspicious. Thales' first worries were whether he'd be put under pressure, and if he'd make the situation worse. Yet... what was he to do? Would it be weird to turn around and leave now? On the other hand, sticking around seemed worse in every way. Thales certainly couldn't answer what Kazemi was looking for, and a wrong word would likely try the Hikibain's patience.

There was a tugging on his sleeve, another person right by his side that nearly scared the lights out of him. Thankfully, Thales withheld a gasp, twitching in surprise and briefly clutching his chest. Exhale. He spoke under his breath, "<Oh, Ha... Haruhi.>" At least it was a friend, and not surprise military wanting to interrogate him. His mind was far too quick to fear the worst. "<Yes, let go... bad time.>" Thales was almost going to take Haruhi by the hand again, but withheld his own quickly. That was a habit he'd need to stop.

Maybe the other maids could tell why the Hikibain had visited them so suddenly. It wasn't supposed to be this soon, was it?

Edited by Xinnidy

From the look Daichi gave Jam, the dancer was starting to believe she had said something she wasn't supposed to. Whatever anger he had was focused on her. She didn't care much for it. Fortunately, Eva spoke up to get his attention. Jam thought it best to shut up before stoking Daichi's ire once more.

Magic

It seemed like things would only get worse without some kind of answer, and with no time to come up with a decent cover story, Amon was about ready to throw up his hands and explain that ridiculous situation with the Basilisk. The trouble was, it wouldn't exactly ring true, them using a magical artifact to steal an entire ship, warping it out of existence, and then just as spectacularly, bringing it right back into the world. It made even less sense that they could do this in spite of the ship's crew. For a moment, Amon was also worried about having to prove that story if Daichi asked them to. The Regalia 'Raquel' had given him was gone ... or rather, Ra had it. Joanna had the emblem, like usual, so all they really had was the story itself, and the tattered remains of their credibility. That, and maybe the very fact that the Ursians and Neviskotians both had chased them all the way down here. Amon had just noticed that Joanna had returned; he had a vague sense of the emblem now that he was actually thinking about the artifact, and it was quite close, likely right inside the building with them. That could be good or bad depending on what Daichi thought of them after all of this.

"Daichi," Amon began cautiously, "the ship she's talking about-" "Is now irrelevant." Amon was cut off by a voice almost indistinguishable from his own. The realization that came with the interruption sent chills down the sancturan's spine. This was not the time or the place for Ra to be butting in. Daichi had enough questions they could barely answer!

At the far end of the meeting table, away from the rest of the group, the golden heralding lights appeared and began to converge. Ra's disembodied voice at first seemed to come from nowhere. "You tried your best," Ra said pityingly, just before he manifested fully, "but now this whole charade ... is pathetic."

When Amon began speaking again, Daichi slid his frosty gaze back to him. When Amon's own voice seemed to come from somewhere else -- and Amon's mouth hadn't moved to make those words -- the Hikibain briefly wondered if, perhaps, wind magic or something was at play. <Are they trying to frighten me with a trick?>

But then came the lights. A man who looked exactly like Amon -- and yet nothing like the average human -- appeared, sitting at the table. And what was that he was talking about? A charade? Daichi was sure he'd heard the term used before... Not that that was the most pressing thing his mind was working on. Rather, it was working to explain this person.

The eyes were certainly reminiscent of the eyes of their hated adversaries, in some ways, and the Fallen were usually the best explanation for strange appearances. Not even counting the lesser demons, some Fallen looked drastically different from their kin, while others had more mundane alterations, such as missing limbs from combat. Light magic was certainly uncommon, but it wasn't impossible for the fell beings to learn, either. And, even outside of the gate situation, they had warping capability. Given their vile tactics, and Professor Weyland's shameless willingness to work with them, seeing one at least partially imitating one of the professor's messengers wasn't an implausible scenario. Even if this man was human, he certainly appeared to have been tampered with by the demons.

And yet, Daichi did not immediately attack. Perhaps this man was one of Amon's kin, and had been hiding to protect himself until now. Perhaps his alterations had been forced upon him, and was now cursed to bear them in secret. It would not be the first time humans had been captured and used for those creatures' vile experiments... This man did not seem ill at ease, though, and so warranted caution. He seemed to prefer talk to combat, at least for now, so there was that. Daichi would learn the nature of this odd being in due time -- he would make certain of it, for the sake of the innocent.

The Hikibain was wary, his green eyes trained on the golden man as his hand inconspicuously hovered near the hilt of his sword. He swiftly but carefully thought out his words as he decided that there was no need to change topics. He would learn as the man spoke, whatever he chose to talk about. Daichi's voice was calm, even though his eyes were intense, as though they could find the answers before his ears could. "Please, explain."

"Perfect, thank you. Follow me then." Angelica noted to the receptionist, before leading the group over to the meeting room from earlier, mid way down the hall it seemed apparent talks were going on... and not at all what she wanted to see. The room seemed tense, it was rather full of people, including, of all possible options, Ra... with Amon here as well. Great...

"Hey guys... bad timing? I had been hoping to borrow Kazemi-san, some of the local guard were giving us some trouble after I went to go get Norbert. They seem to think that because we're not Kigenese, that we're part of the Ursian navy."

Edited by Ether

Because things couldn't get worse. Eva sighed, the sight of this golden menace just bothering her. About to ask where Angelica was, her voice piped up coming down the hall, Eva poking her head out and smiling. That was a bit of reassurance, at least. Still... With Ra here, they weren't getting out of this. Better to be honest out of the gate than to try and extend the lie, right?

"The Neviskotians are after us because Amon used some part of the emblem's power to claim their boat for himself... And that piece of the emblem is now manifest as the golden clod sitting over there, Ra. We were hoping to leave before they could catch up to us, but we were too late for that." And here they could've avoided things if Jam hadn't opened her mouth. Too late... "I'm sure Amon and Ra can give you the specifics if you want them... Better to spill it all now instead of you finding more lies later."

Reasoning

Things only seemed to go from bad to worse, with Angelica arriving--with Joanna somewhere in tow from the feel of things, just in time for news about the emblem to come spilling out. Amon shouldn't have been surprised to see things converge like this; Joanna had the emblem piece, the source of Ra's power, so of course he could manifest here and now. The problem was that with each revelation Daichi was hit with, the nature of their meeting with the Emperor of Kigen would change, and likely for the worst. After all, once the Kigenese understood the potential of the Fire Emblem, they would want to use it to defeat the Fallen ... and fair enough, that was more or less what Amon's group had in mind, but they might also want to keep it when they were finished with the Fallen ... and with Joanna being its guardian, things could get complicated very quickly.

With no place else to start, Amon sighed and looked Daichi straight in the eyes, trying to balance out the shame he felt with a little anger, though it was mostly directed at Ra, and his expression was little more than stern determination. "The Ursians are after us, too. They saw what happened to the Basilisk and which ship was responsible. That's probably why the fleets are all the way down here. Our goal is to stop the fallen, but we can't fight two armies. What I did with the emblem before isn't possible anymore. That power is gone." He glanced over at Ra, who had just risen up with an oddly satisfied grin.

"Anything to add?" Amon scowled.

"The truth," Ra held out both hands to his sides, palms face up, "by mishandling it, you've weakened yourselves and your allies, these skilled men of Kigen. Only the truth can forge an alliance strong enough to win this war. That is why ... this had to come to pass sooner or later."

It almost sounded like Ra had no intention of letting things stay under wraps indefinitely, and that was about enough for Malik. "And when the Emperor-" Malik jutted a finger toward Daichi though he kept his eyes squarely on the golden doppelganger, "finds out about this 'ship stealing' power we supposedly have, you think he's going to just let us keep it all to ourselves? We needed that to stay a secret."

"Given your methods? That may indeed be impossible," Ra shrugged, "and given my plans, it is absolutely impossible. If you cannot even secure yourselves in the company of your allies, then what hope do you have against your enemies?" Ra shot back a glare that dwarfed both sancturans' and said, "Valdimarr also possesses a piece of the emblem. He will not conceal that light from anyone, and he will not hold back that immense light when the time comes. You are all going to fall to his bloodlust if you are not willing to do the same. Every challenge you face is an opportunity to test and refine yourselves, but you avoid conflict as if you have a choice. You fear the intentions of this great empire? Fear failure. Fear the death of your queen, countless innocents dead, and three more mighty nations brought to nothing ... all so that you might avoid a scuffle or two. Open your eyes, raise your heads up, and steel yourselves for war."

Answers were flowing so rapidly that it wound up just being confusing. It didn't help that this was all in Common, either. Daichi could keep up fairly well most of the time, but with everyone speaking like this, it was all just too fast. Besides that, there were these soldiers to consider, and the woman mentioned his son, which pulled his mind off balance enough to make interpreting everything being said even harder. Daichi set about trying to recall and sort out everything. Already, it was proving daunting...

The woman had said that the local guard was giving her and Norbert trouble because of someone's navy or something, Eva suddenly started talking about how her countrymen were chasing their group because Amon had used some sort of picture's ability to mark a boat as his own and...that mark held a manifest, and it had something to do with the glowing man? And then she said "Ra." Was that a word he was unfamiliar with? She'd also said "clod," or something similar. Maybe that meant "person." Or, maybe that was whatever the glowing man was? So, was he not a human or a demon after all? At least what she said next made sense: their group was fleeing the Neviskotians and had hoped to outpace them. Then she mentioned that Amon and Ra could explain things more clearly. So, Ra must have been the name of the glowing man. What was more concerning was that Eva had said "more lies." So, they had been lying to him as well... Was there truly no one who wouldn't take advantage of his trust? At least, from the sound of things, she was resolving to be honest with him...but could he trust any of the others, if they kept willingly lying to him?

And then, Amon had spoken again. As it turned out, this group was, in fact, responsible for the disappearance of the Neviskotian ship, and therefore the reason that the Ursians were here as well. And, from the sound of things, both the northern navies wanted to capture this group...but the main goal of these messengers from Weyland was, in fact, to stop the demons' planned attack. Also, they, perhaps, did not hold the ability to make ships disappear anymore... Indeed, much of what they claimed was confusing. Perhaps they had lost this image that they had used to warp the ship away. Maybe it needed a manifest of what it would be warping, which was why it could be separated from the ship's crew. That would also explain why Eva had mentioned a manifest earlier.

Then, Ra spoke. He was much easier to understand. He was being refreshingly respectful, too. Daichi had frowned some when Malik had spoken initially, but now things made a little more sense. <He must truly think poorly of us if he thinks we would demand an item that they do not possess. There was no reason to be deceitful.> Ra's following statement was a bit hard to grasp, but what followed that was somewhat alarming. So, Ra had plans of his own that didn't coincide with this group's. <Just what is he and what does he intend?> Those sorts of people were dangerous.. He would need to learn just what his intentions were if it was not to protect the human countries from the demons' pending assault. Ra went on, talking about how one of the demon princes had another "piece of the emblem." Perhaps this wasn't just any symbol, but some sort of magical artifact. It could warp items, and from the sound of things, was based in light magic. But he was speaking as though this group still had their own warping device. Or, perhaps, he meant that they should take the demon's artifact to use against him? Ra's final words came without much context for Daichi, but he certainly agreed with the spirit of them. It was why he and many others had chosen to join the Hikiba: the reality was that peace would not come by itself. It was only through their sacrifices that they had any hope of bringing it about for others. Even though few of them would ever see the day the demons fell, perhaps in the future, their countrymen could live without fear of them. And that was enough reason to grow stronger, face whatever hardships that came, and fight on.

All in all, there was still much that Daichi knew had been lost in translation. Further, those guardsmen were likely just as confused as he was, and that was if any of them understood anything being said. In any case, the important things he'd gathered were that the fallen prince had some sort of object he could use to help him, the Ursian and Neviskotian navies were pursuing this group because they had made a Neviskotian flagship disappear but could no longer access that ability, and that, whatever his intentions, Ra was likewise opposed to the demons. Further, it sounded like this group wasn't merely messengers, but fully intended to strike at the Fallen, themselves. It almost sounded like they meant for the Kigenese to help them, not the other way around. That sentiment was mildly amusing, given Kigen's long struggle against their hated foe. On the whole, however, this was...a lot to deal with.

Daichi raised a hand somewhat in a slowing gesture, his brow heavily furrowed by the effort he was putting into understanding everything being said. "Slow down, please... It is...very difficult to understand what is being said."

Not to mention all the topics of discussion to keep track of. Speaking of which, it seemed that the best way to proceed was to first deal with Angelica's issue. So, he gave a shallow, polite bow to those gathered about and told them, "Please, excuse me for a moment. I will return shortly. I have many questions, so take this opportunity to think about what you would like to say."

Then, he stepped out of the room and turned to give the guardsmen an annoyed look. <"I am in the middle of a meeting. What is it that my associates have done that warrants this interruption?">

Edited by Mercakete

Ra made... A lot of good points. At least once that resonated with Eva. All this waiting around and trying to appease, what was it for? Would hiding the truth do them any good? Were the Kigenese that devilish towards the truth? Daichi didn't seem so, but he seemed quite special, compared to a few others she'd seen so far. Still... "Ra's got a point, Amon. We've got him and Joanna's emblem piece, but we're not doing much with them, you know? Not that we should need to rely on it, but... Doing nothing, with that much power right in front of us, while... I guess what sells it for me is he's on the nose with this, Valdy isn't going to care whether or not we're using it, he'll use his, and he'll try to kill us all with it. Why shouldn't we match that gesture?" She shrugged, peeking over Daichi and giving Angelica an excited wave. Interrupting whatever they were in seemed like a bad idea, but she was still happy that she was back.

"What's your deal anyway, Ra? I got the gist of things from Angelica... But hearing the neighs from the horse is better... That's how the saying goes, right?" Probably. "If you're here to test us all then test away. I'm itching to do anything other than stand here."

Concerns

Amon glared at Ra as Daichi went to address the guards that had followed Angelica and company into the building. When Eva put in, he started scratching at his headband, trying to reorganize his thoughts while he still had a moment. "Both of you, this isn't just about avoiding fights. We have to make sure we're still around to fight the fallen wherever we find them. If we get into a battle with the wrong people out here, or just get unlucky, because we just brazenly handle everything the way Ra does, we could get wiped out, or lose too many people to make a difference."

"As you so often do," Ra sighed, "you comprehend so little of this. Raquel herself is committed to aiding you, and I am her ally." Ra made a questioning gesture with his hand. "It is just as she has said. So tell me, how much power, how much force of will stands with you, in spite of your weakness?"

That ... admittedly put Amon on a different line of thinking. Now he was starting to get it. It wasn't so much about brandishing their power, but acknowledging their own strength in every situation, and leveraging it 'as needed.' What constituted a need would always be up for debate, though. And such an approach still wouldn't keep them out of unnecessary fights, but according to Ra, every 'challenge' was a chance to test and refine themselves. He welcomed whatever carnage fell upon them. For Ra, the fallen must be a truly brutal foe to have to face. Anything less than that, must have seemed like a trifle to him. Granted, Amon's own experience with the demons inclined him to not dismiss the threat of a much larger army, with much stronger demons at the front. If anyone in the room would know for certain just how dangerous a demon army was, though ... it would be Daichi ...

Before Amon could address Ra's question, he had to listen to Eva put forth one of her own, and immediately follow it up with a request to 'test away.' That sent a chill up Amon's spine, though he couldn't figure out why, at first.

Ra just smiled at her. "I leave that to my servant to determine. A part of her reward for her work will be to share even more in the molding and fashioning of this gathering. She is watching you, now. Carefully. Have patience. Once her decision is made, it is made ... and we will begin, again~"

Meanwhile, the guards had gotten something of a wake up call when Daichi himself came over to address them. The common speaking guard fell back to his native tongue as he saluted the man. <"There was a disturbance just outside of town, likely light magic."> He wasted no time in gesturing at Angelica and the two avians, but noted a fourth, a pegasus rider that the remaining guards were keeping an eye on. Obviously, the boy couldn't bring the pegasus into the building. <"Others are investigating as we speak. My men and I have our suspicions about these ones here, but we found them only after the lights disappeared."> Trying to take in what he heard from the group itself, he continued, amending his own suspicions as he went. <"The Ursians are up to something, but even if this girl, that boy, and these avians are not loyal to them, they are still a potential threat.">

... that said, Daichi seemed to already have an eye on them. While the guards would have preferred to stick around and figure out the mystery with this lot, as well as the two foreign fleets, it wasn't really their call to make. <"Your orders?">

Eva grimaced, only for a moment. "Can't say I'm used to being watched by a woman other than Angelica... A servant, huh? She golden like you are? Where is goldilocks, then?" Eva took a small glance around the place and shrugged, it was probably more Emblem nonsense. She was 'here', but not actually here. It almost made her roll her eyes. With a sigh, and a small shaking of her head, she finally nodded. "Fine, fine... Guess I can wait a bit longer." Begin again... Had Angelica already gone through whatever she'd signed up for, then? This was weird business.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

<So, my son has finally returned as well.> Daichi thought as the man described Norbert. He knew members of his group had gone to collect him, but until now, none of them had succeeded. If he'd let himself dwell on that issue, Daichi would have been worried for quite some time now. So, it was some relief that the rider had finally returned. What was concerning, however, was that he was under suspicion. Thankfully, Daichi knew enough, at least, to assuage those concerns honestly.

<"Why come to me to report this? Are you not guardsmen assigned to Arugai Minato? You have your own assigned superiors you can report to, and as I have already informed those under my direct command, I have urgent business in Kayoyama to see to. I leave with these travelers as soon as their preparations are complete. You acted in ignorance, so I can forgive you potentially disrupting my mission by waylaying my companions, and will not mention this incident, but now that you know, delay us no further. A bout of light magic is uncommon but not unusual. When mercenaries clash against one another outside a settlement, where they will not disturb the populace, is it worth pursuing? Investigating is wise, but waylaying travelers before a threat is identified, when a threat is likely to not even exist -- particularly in a town where foreigners passing through is common -- is excessive, and turns the hearts of people away from those who protect them. For you protect more than just those who reside here. You protect the travelers and traders who visit Arugai Minato as well,"> Daichi answered, annoyed at first, but coming back to a calm state as he spoke. He never lost his seriousness, however. <"Continue your investigation, but do not cause unrest unduly. You will frighten the people. As for the Ursians, their quarrel is with the Neviskotians, as usual, though they do also hold an interest in these employees of Professor Weyland. Those from Neviskotia do as well. Therefore, you do not need to concern yourself with them. As the northerners' dealings are with each other, and with my associates, the ambassadors and I will be the ones to resolve those disputes, should it come to that. These associates of mine relate directly to my own mission, so I will deal with them and whatever problems arise concerning them. The ambassadors, likewise, will soothe their own people. These are not my orders, but my advice. Of course, you must follow what your commanders tell you to do, but now you are better-informed. Since you have gained this insight, perhaps your commanders could benefit from it as well, so that they can lead you with greater accuracy. We all work together, after all. No one serving to protect Kigen opposes another. The subordinate informs his commander, and the commander makes decisions that benefit the entire people. Likewise, even if distantly, we Hikibain work with you and your commanders, performing actions that assist one another, without being a hindrance which would negatively affect the whole. Therefore, I would never hinder your performance as a guardsman and subordinate, or your superior's role as one who gives you orders. Likewise, I am certain that you and your superiors would never intentionally hinder my own objectives, for we stand and fight as one, towards one goal: the continued prosperity of our people, and the safety of our home. Don't you agree?">

Edited by Mercakete

Discussions

"Yes, just have patience," Ra said again, almost laughing.

Ra had a servant now? Both sancturans had some concerns about that, and both wondered if anyone was missing from the group. Amon quickly noted that Angelica was here and accounted for, so at least Ra hadn't forced or convinced her to assume a role like that. Either that or she was the one he was talking about and she was merely keeping a low profile. That ... kind of made sense, but maybe there was more to it.

"Hey," Malik eyed Angelica and the avians, "Where's Bert? You did find him, right?" Judging by the look on Joanna's face, that was probably around the same time things had gotten complicated. It was probably where the guards came in, too. What was worse, the emblem was now one of the topics they would be discussing with Daichi. Malik wondered if they could explain it to him without revealing that it was actually the golden choker Joanna was wearing. With Jamilla's commentary, likely not, but no one was going to put much effort into pilfering the emblem if they didn't know what it was or where it was, so call it a bit of wishful thinking.

Getting back to Daichi's original question took a moment, but once he got his chance, the common speaking guard explained, <"They claimed to have business with you specifically, otherwise we would have brought them to the barracks for more questioning. We wanted to keep an eye on them in case they were responsible for the incident, and confirm their story."> In other words, they were hedging their bets; if this lot did have business with Daichi, they would be brought straight back to him without any further trouble or delays, and if they were lying, then the guards could simply arrest them on the spot.

When it had come to the light show, they had simply left it to other guards in the area to look into it. By now there was probably a full report ready from one of the other groups, so they might even get the full story once they made it back. Maybe. All in all, they still suspected these people had something to do with that spectacle outside of town, and it was clear now that they did in fact have ties to the Ursians loitering out on the water, but Daichi clearly felt he had the situation well in hand. That made this group his problem, now. Still, the common speaking guard was having a hard time refraining from warning the Hikibain not to trust these foreigners. They 'checked out,' but only in the most shallow sense. And there was something really weird going on in that meeting room ...

As for all working together, the guards present agreed in principle, but their own experience had left them with a less idealistic view of things. The common speaking guard in particular was satisfied as long as he could keep his family fed, and for that, he need only do his job and avoid taking the blame for any major incidents. Having good coworkers was just a bonus ... and sometimes a luxury. It did make sense that a Hikibain would be focused on the bigger picture, though, a more unified Kigen. Protecting a unified nation was preferable to a bunch of provinces and villages held together only by the threat of the demons and overwhelming imperial might. It really did sound nice, but they all knew that by this time tomorrow some high ranking fop would find a way to make their lives even more difficult. General Fukui himself was only a handful of provisions away from turning Arugai into a fortress, and so the sooner the Ursians and Neviskotians left, the better off they would all be.

<"We understand. Thank you for your advice, Sir.">

Oho... watching you carefully... what an apt choice of words. Invisible to those in the room, "Angelica" eyed the occupants as they squirmed underneath Ra's interference with their folly... an inaudible... to anyone but Ra at least, chuckle echoing in her throat as Eva noted it strange to be watched by a woman other than Angelica. Tempting, so tempting, to appear in a flash and give the rider a rude awakening... well, rude for the others, likely plenty enjoyable on her end, so soon as she bore witness to the face administering it. So she wanted to be the next tested, did she? That could be arranged... though the poor dear could seldom handle the original...

'You might not survive me, love~ But you'll go out in a blaze of glory.' The specter mouthed without sound. Perhaps she was biased... almost certainly, but if choice was to be her reward... licking her lips slowly as she leaned in closer to Eva, a grin formed on her incorporeal face, taking in the girl's features for her own. So much better than borrowed memories.

Immediate notes... Ra had revealed the Emblem to Kazemi, which wasn't innately disastrous, even if it potentially removed leverage from them. Returning Eva's wave and walking further down the hallway, passing Kazemi as he went to speak to his men and soon coming to stand at the door, she sighed. Unless Ra was to force her hand, there seemed little reason to elaborate on her own circumstances until Daichi had departed. The question of Norbert however, she could answer fairly well.

"Norbert came back with us. We split up after we arrived, he was taking Rizen to the stables. He should still be somewhere on the compound, there would have been a fuss if he bolted again."

That was about it for Thales, the place was getting awfully busy, and guards were keeping the hallway busy, it was time to bail and keep down. I'll talk with Amon later... It was unfortunate that aside from their main objective he really didn't know what was going on. That undermined his position and ability to... just do things, quite different from how things were with the Wolves. "Haaa... whatever." A sigh escaping, he led the way toward the guest rooms, where the group was staying. It'd at least be quieter there... "<Get a lot of attention from soldiers... need their help, but wonder if will work.>" Thales knew he was biased, he'd need to stop whining and get used to it, eventually. At some point they'll be depending a lot on these guys. "<Honestly, wonder... if I will help at all. Seem like a big thing, maybe I will not matter...>" But still, he didn't want to abandon a group again. There were too many bad memories, and Thales already saw too much to look away. "<What... do you think of all of this, Haruhi?>" She seemed to have a fairly different outlook to his most of the time.

"Oh, Bert's here?" Eva wandered over towards Angelica, after sparing Ra one more curious glance. "I should find the time to talk to him. Talking to his dad really... Well, I owe him an apology, and maybe a bit of understanding." She shrugged and scratched at her hair, wondering what to make of the group of soldiers following after Joanna and the rest of them. "Did you guys get into some trouble, or...?" Angelica probably couldn't talk about it as things were, but Eva couldn't help her curiosity. "It doesn't have to do with captain sparkles over there, does it?"

Haruhi followed after Thales, sparing all the soldiers a passing glance. What a fine mess, but... Well. "<After the nonsense with the ship, are you surprised? I'm shocked it took groups this long to catch up to us and start all this. Just wonder how long it'll take before we can get moving again. Might be a while with how Kigenese soldiers work...>" Haruhi sighed and sat herself down against the guest room's wall, fishing for her book and playing at conjuring a spell again. "<More time to practice... For whatever good it'll do me.>"

Daichi nodded, the situation becoming a little more clear to him. It did make sense, especially given that it was Angelica who had led them there. She'd been among those he'd spoken with the most at the docks, along with Eva. Of course she would have mentioned him by name to get out of trouble. <I'm going to have to ask them some questions. Frightening people with a display of light magic isn't something I can approve of. So little is understood, however... I mustn't assume anything.>

To the guards, he responded, <"I see. You did what you could...but next time you want to meet with a Hikibain, I suggest offering to wait until his meeting is over, even if an escort is provided And, of course, depending on the need of the moment. It is difficult enough to follow a conversation in Common without so many demands on my focus, and some of my fellow Hikibain are not particularly patient. I hope that my advice serves you well. And I will repeat that you do not have to worry about these foreigners. I will handle whatever problems arise involving them personally, even if you find that they were responsible for the earlier incident. Be well, soldiers. You are dismissed.">

"He's around here somewhere. I don't know if he chose to hang around the stables or if he's coming inside on his own." Angelica replied... it seems Daichi was going to handle all of this personally, but it didn't hurt to keep things low key until the other guards were gone.

"Trouble? Nothing especially, just a bit of a scuffle with Norbert... those guys thought we were with the Ursian navy and were pretty on edge over everything." Angelica replied, leaning in closer to Eva before continuing a bit more quietly.

"And of course Ra is involved... you'll learn he seems to always be involved."