Return of the Emblem Chapter Fifteen: Alliance

Phoenix

"Heh. Haha! I thought it'd be a lot harder to apologize, you know? I figured we'd already be yelling... This is nice. Er, uh, I don't mean to get serious so suddenly, but, do you mind telling me what battle you were in? You came back with Angelica, and... Well, she said it involved Ra, so... I'm just a bit worried. You're all okay... Right?" Angelica had seemed alright, Bert didn't look worse for wear... The birds were alive. "You all look okay, but, making sure. And... Uh... Ra said I'd be next, but he didn't say when. What... What should I be looking out for? If anything." These tests were probably unique, but maybe there was something they all shared. Maybe.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looked like there was a messenger from one of the two sides looking to speak with the group, and Daichi was in a position to help shoo that messenger away.  Which was fine and all, until Jam revealed to the Hikibain that the group was being chased by both Ursians and Neviskotians. Yet, even then, he was willing to cooperate with the group, by some Mercy. Then, the dancer girl mentioned the Basilisk, and all good faith was blown out of the water. They were about to be exposed, aaaand suddenly, Ra.

Amon explained the situation and Ra criticized him and everyone else for not confessing outright to the events that had led them to this point. As though they should've picked a fight with the Kigenese immediately upon arriving in port. The emblem enigma had a point about not being secure in their allies, but that does not mean that they should actively be looking to fight their way out of any problems, especially when those lives taken could be spent against the enemy.  Yes, they might have to fight them in the end, but violence shouldn't be the first and only solution, every time.

Daichi stepped out of the room for a minute, and Pete used that opportunity to slip inside. Not to say anything, but just to piece together the remainder of what was going on.

Eva evidently agreed with Ra on his stance regarding  this business, and she submitted to be tested by him, whatever that meant. Angelica was a bit wary of it, as she had just been involved with an incident alongside bert. Eva just brushed this off and left to find Bert, however, and the topic moved to finding Greta and leaving Arugai. Ra questioned why they would be leaving that night, which should've brought more alarm than it did- what was he referring to? Was it the demon? Before further elaboration could be had, Daichi returned to the room, and recounted his version of events, which was not that far away from the truth. From there, Ra produced a fancy dagger and claimed it could solve the problem of their pursuers. Which, the Ursian man supposed, it could, except only for one side. The other side would have to be dealt with some other way.

The apparition then conveyed to Daichi that this group would be the one to face Valdimarr, though it was far from ready- an admission that, while it stung to hear, Pete had to admit was true. Ra- and Raquel, allegedly,- were going to take an active hand in strengthening them all- even killing or scaring off their weaker members, if need be. The man did not like the sound of that, but that was something to bring up when they weren't in the middle of an important meeting.

Daichi asked why a group aside from the Hikibain was needed, and Angelica spoke up,  eyes turning golden -emblem shenanigans, and suggested to the Hikibain that if Ra could mold them, they'd be able to take Corvus.

So, where did that leave the armored man? Well, he was going to wait for this meeting, which seemed to be wrapping up, to finish. Then the group was going to have to set a few things straight. Like what the hell were they going to do with the magic dagger, and how they were going to handle the demon in the building.

Norbert's expression started out as friendly as before, but gradually, as Eva spoke, it turned serious. Is this the next trial he was talking about: helping to prepare the others for their own tests? I'm glad I can help, but...I don't really know what I'm doing... And it could be something else, too. Urgh, I wish Ra would just speak plainly... Stupid emblem spirits -- why do they always have to be so cryptic? "You're next, huh? I guess it's nice that he told you..."

He was getting a little ahead of himself, though. Norbert slowly let out a breath as he went back to brushing his pegasus and thinking about what he wanted to say. Then, he answered, "Ra sent Angelica to kill me. She resisted him, and he made a copy of her out of emblem energy to finish the job. That's what he is, too: a man made of emblem energy. But he's also Amon, kind of... It's emblem magic stuff. Anyway, he's not human, and he can't be hurt like one. As far as I can tell, the same goes for the other Angelica...and she's a real pain. Apparently, she knows everything that Angelica knows, but she's crazy and likes to play mind games. At least, I think that's what she was trying to do... And she wasn't just going to kill me, but Rizen, too, but that was because that's what Ra told her to do. The real Angelica developed an emblem ability, and helped me fight them. Towards the end of the fight, I developed an ability, too. Then, they stopped fighting us and...well, talked to us. He wants everyone to get stronger, even if it means nearly killing us in the process. I guess nearly dead is still alive, in the end...and despite his methods, I think that Ra legitimately wants to help us. And, well...I have to admit, his way of going about it works. I'm convinced, now, that we can't beat the Fallen as we are. We need to become stronger...but I still don't know if everyone becoming emblem wielders is the best way to do it. Emblem wielders can't use their powers on each other, and Valdimarr is an emblem wielder, too. And I don't know if this is the safest state to be in, either... When I traveled with Raquel, she became dependent on the emblem energy to live. Angelica and I might be dependent on it now, too, but we don't know for sure. Angelica seems to think that we're not, but how can you tell something like that? There are a lot of things we still don't understand. But I'm certain that we need more than what we have now if we're going to achieve anything. Whether we get that ability from the emblem or from Shadrak's crazy idea of becoming Vasili, we're going to need it for the kind of foes we're going to face. Ra knows this...and he's trying to get us equipped before we get ourselves killed."

All of what Bert put down was incredibly hard to pick up. Eva clammed up pretty hard at the mention of a crazier, stronger, and all knowing Angelica. A very visible shiver ran through her, letting Bert finish before trying to put thoughts to words. "So that's... That's who Ra was talking about. Hah. Well, I'm dead. I told Angelica that she was the toughest thing I'd ever had to face... And now there's a more powerful version of her running around? I couldn't manage more than a draw, the only time we've ever gone toe to toe. Geez, I was all confidence before, but now..." What was she even going to do? Would Eva be able to tell them apart? Was that how this was going to go? She balled up her fists and scowled at the ground, trying to make sense of how this was going to work out. More thinking to do...

"I'm glad Angelica didn't follow through with Ra's orders... And if you think it's worthwhile training, then whatever gets thrown at me, I'll throw back. Can't say I'm not intimidated now, though. Hearing what he had to say on the issues of the fallen, when he was taking a moment to respond to some of Kazemi-san's questions, and even before that, addressing Amon... It really feels like he wants us to win. Just, also feels like it's do or die when it comes to winning. But it's do or die against the Fallen too..." Eva let go of her fists and went about scratching at her hair again, shaking her head. "I'm just gonna call it necessary and stop thinking so hard about it. Whatever comes... I face it as best as I can. That's all there is to it."

Finally she sighed, trying to hold onto what little smile she had left. "Thanks for the information though, Bert. I don't know if we're going to change irreparably from all of this, but that's life, right? You don't know what's coming until it gets there. I, uh... I'm gonna check on Sasha, then, probably do some more thinking. Can't wait until this meeting is over..."

Norbert gave his fellow rider a nod. "Probably a good idea. I have no idea what those two're planning for you. My test was a life or death situation, and...I guess Angelica's was something else. Maybe you should talk to her about what she went through to get her powers. She might be able to help you prepare if your test is anything like hers was. But you also might not have to go through whatever it is alone. If I can help, I will, and I'm sure you have other friends who'll do the same. So, if you can, take advantage of that. Trust me: you'll need every advantage you can get. And the same goes for everyone else, when it's their turns..."

Conversation

Malik missed it, his attention being primarily on Ra, but when Angelica demonstrated the power of the emblem, the familiar glow made the sancturan wonder just what she could do, now. She was clearly a wielder like him, with conscious control over some kind of power. The question now was what sort of power? "Also," Amon chimed in just after Angelica, "they've been planning this for who knows how long. There's no way they haven't taken the Hikibain into account."

"Kazemi," Ra, interjected all of a sudden, "Do you know anything of the archdemons?"

Malik squinted at the golden apparition. They barely knew anything about that ...

Edited by Phoenix

"<Mrr... I hope is going well now. Stuck in Arugai too long sounds horrible. Want do something, not just stay here.>" Thales mumbled, a small whine as he kept walking... why was he walking in circles, sighing, the boy stopped and sat down on the floor. He always got a bit antsy when doing new things, that was going to be his life now by the look of things.

"<Feel like... what you try to learn is complicated. Control is important, huh?>" All the magic mumbo jumbo went over his head easily, and it wasn't made any easier by talking about it in Kigenese, that was sure to leave him with a headache later... "<Nos... fera... hmm, what does that one do?>" Thales at least wasn't unfamiliar with the concept of 'life-draining' magic, but the technical term very much escaped him. "<It sound like Hoshi been helping you a lot... did you have teacher before?>" Thales couldn't imagine picking up magic without some help to begin with.

"Good to know you've got my back, and I'm sure if Angelica's around, she'll step in. I'll see if she can offer anything... Otherwise, it's just waiting. Thanks, Norbert. Uh..." Eva paused once more before walking over to Sasha, not sure if this was her place, but wanting to say something on it, despite mentioning she wouldn't. "Try... To talk to the guy. If you can. He... Really seems to care about you, a great deal. Even if he isn't who he says he is, or you don't get along, giving it a shot... It has to be worth something, right? That's all I wanted to say. If you don't, that's fine too, of course. Just take care of yourself." Giving him a tiny wave, she headed over towards Sasha, the lizard poking his head up as her approach.

"<Hey, big green and stupid. How you holding up?>" Sasha grunted in response, lowering his head, Eva smiling at his apathetic attitude. "<Yeah, yeah... Give me a second, I'll fix you up too, scaly.>" Eva hopped over the gate into the stall, fishing Sasha's scratcher out. His scales could do with some attention.

"<It's incredibly complicated... I didn't have a master before meeting Hoshi, no. I learned all of what I know on my own... With a lot of trial and error. Mostly error...>" The sphere oscillated a moment longer before slowly dissipating, Haruhi breathing a sigh of relief. "<Nosferatu? Hmmm... Do you want the technical explanation, or... I'll give you the simple one and you can ask for the technicalities if you want. Basically...>" Haruhi said, forming her flux again. It wouldn't work for a live demonstration, but for the purposes of motion, it did the job. "<You throw the magic at someone," she said, moving the ball of flux across the room, "make it go into them... Then you suck up their lifeforce, pull it out of them-- typically by force, so it hurts," she added, the ball flying back over much faster, "--and then bring it back to you... And release it gently into your body, so you don't get the same explodey pain sensation.>" Hopefully he got the gist.

Right -- that was how one pronounced that demon prince's name. … It would take practice. Anyway, Angelica certainly was being...blunt. Clearly, she held no value for how much experience Kigen's forces had, and had no confidence in their ability to adapt in combat...which made no sense. None of them would still be alive if they were unable to adapt. It was how many young men lost their lives... The lack of respect for their hardships and ability was grating, but Daichi remained silent towards it. Obviously, familiarity with clod technology would be a factor here, but surely it would be easier and quicker for the more experienced combatants to adapt to the new weaponry with instruction, than for this collection of young and eager fighters to gain the honed ability and experience of the Hikibain against the demons. He would be patient with this presumptuous child, however.

"If 'firsthand' experience is necessary to overcome the Kulad object, then I do not see why we cannot expose the Hikibain to it. If you have experience against it, and overcame it with your own ability, then certainly our experienced warriors can as well. You have a Kulad here, as well, with his own technology. It would be faster to teach those with experience against the demons about this technology than to try to give our amount of experience to all of you," Daichi gently countered Angelica, "But it will be Emperor Yamato who decides how his own soldiers will proceed. I can only suggest strategies, not order them. This is why we must go to Kayoyama as soon as we can." <However... I cannot think of any Hikibain who would not want to go through those gates ourselves to destroy the demons on the other side, even while these children destroy the gates themselves. Our purpose is to protect our people from the demons. This gives us an opportunity we may not get again: to destroy their strong before they can fight, inside of their home.>

Amon, though, did bring up a fair point: one so obvious that it was easy to overlook. Daichi gave a low, thoughtful hum. He replied to him, first. "You are correct. But a known strength is still a strength. We should not avoid combat simply because they expect us. It is our fate to meet the demons in battle, to whatever end. We are not afraid of what will meet us."

Daichi then turned his attention to Ra, "Even if it means facing royal demons such as...Baldimar...or other demons such as Wazawai Oouji. Is that one of the 'archdemons' you refer to: the king worm in the south?"

~~~~~~

Norbert grunted at the advice. It seemed like Eva and Angelica were on the same page...not that Eva really gave him an opportunity to explain how complicated the situation was. It was probably better that way anyway. She certainly had her own troubles to worry about right now, and really, what good would it do anyway? I'm going to have to get to work on that letter as soon as I'm done, here... His stomach wasn't entirely in agreement with the plan, he noticed. Time for a veto. I can eat later.

Haruhi didn't have a master before Hoshi? That was... that just sounded so crazy. Thales just couldn't think of starting up magic like that, without guidance. She had his attention now, furrowing his eyebrows as he watched and listened to the explanation of nosferatu using her flux ball... that's what that was, right? "<I get it. Healing and attacking at same time. That sound helpful, yes. Is safe, though? Heal too much... heard it was bad.>" Thales wondered if there were adverse effects to something so handy, he figured it would be the norm.

"<Is real impressive taught all that to self. Not easy. Am sure.>" Thales couldn't say the same about himself, he would be jealous, if Haruhi's life wasn't just as bad. "<Honestly, never wanted to be fighter. Just learned from father, try to join Ursium army way back but... not good.>" She already knew plenty details of his life... just how conversation worked there. "<Back when was a kid, just wanted to see the theather when it was in town, and play music.>" Thales was allowed to have such a lifestyle thanks to his parent's efforts... and it kinda felt bad thinking how he wasted it all. "<Guess could have done much better, back then...>" Sigh.

"<That's why I need a teacher. To make sure I'm doing these properly, so I don't hurt myself on return. Dark magic is... Dangerous. Probably makes you wonder why I got so into it, but... I did. I needed something strong to back up my wants for work. Found work now, hopefully, so... We'll see where it goes.>" Thales just wanted to be a theater kid, did he? With how he acted, that wasn't surprising... And with him being with who he had, before. Haruhi nearly rolled her eyes, but figured bringing that back up would amount to little. 

"<So do what you want to do now, then. What's stopping you? Money? Time? It's just singing and music, right? It can't cost you that much... I've been making due with the clothes on my back and a single tome. Surely you can do much more with just that.>" She shrugged and let her flux disappear again, yawning. "<Maybe I can sneak in a nap to pass the time until this meeting is over...>"

"<I see...>" Yeah, at this point a teacher was a damn good call, then. Before things got too dangerous. Thales imagined Haruhi's flux errors had the potential to be dangerous enough, let alone this. "<Hope you learn it good, will be helpful. This work is risky, but can make stuff to help self alive.>" Thales definitely did not want to see new friends die horribly.

"<Can not carry piano on back where I go, Haruhi.>" Thales started his answer, already feeling he painted a different picture. "<Has been years since sang, too. Was too young then. Much happened, and now am here.>" Life was a bit of a ride, but most importantly circumstances had led him away from his old hobbies. "<Could try play music again, maybe. Just to show... but has been some time.>" He wasn't very optimistic about it. "<Not like hate bow, anyway. Learned from Father, but has helped me much.>" In both good and bad decisions.

Kulad? What was a... oh. Ra had been called a clod, and with his small struggles with common, Daichi had presumed that was his race, and not just an insult levied at him... well, she wasn't going to be the one to open that can of worms... especially since Kazemi seemed to misinterpret her intentions with her prior statement if his response was anything to go by.

"<Allow me to try again in Kigenese, I believe we misunderstood one another, here. We would love to fight alongside the Hikiba, and none of us would presume to tell the Hikiba not to fight against the Fallen. If Emperor Yamato would allow his forces to fight directly, that would be a great boon, no doubt. But we may very well only have one shot at this... as long and storied as Kigen's history against the Fallen is, would it not be wise to use every tool available, to make sure our best chance succeeds? That is why we cannot back away. We would love your help, and more likely than not, cannot succeed without it, but cannot... will not, sit idly by while someone else takes over in our stead. I meant no disrespect.>" Angelica corrected, hopefully making her intentions more clear, before returning to common. The rest wasn't a personal address, after all, and the others might like to hear it.

"As for whether you might be able to use it... that I cannot say. Ra is likely the only one here who might know."

Indeed, it was refreshing to hear an explanation in his native language again. In all honesty, it was tiring trying to translate so much into something he could understand, himself. He didn't usually have to spend so much time speaking and listening to Common, at least not all at once. Though the subject matter was too important to ignore, so he endured, despite his growing, hidden mental fatigue.

<"Thank you for clarifying yourself in Kigenese; it is much easier to understand,"> Daichi began with a relieved, gentle smile, <"I will continue to do my best to understand everyone in Common, but feel free to re-explain something in Kigenese if you think that I am misunderstanding it. Most of my vocabulary and experience comes from speaking with traders, or on official business, so please forgive my limited ability.">

He took the tip and continued addressing the rest in Common, though it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, his expression becoming significantly less lighthearted. "Ra-san is correct, however. It is honorable for you to want to defend your home and other people, but you must not choose to fight if you do not have the ability to, or if you have a better option. You must be aware of what it will cost before you choose to fight, and then, only if you decide that it is worth losing, should you give it up. This is a decision that everyone must take time to think about seriously, because there are already others who will fight for you. Whateba- -ver you believe, you do have a choice now. Later, you will not. If anyone has a difficult time understanding what he- or she may lose, I can help make that clearer. So can others in the army, but considering what fight you want to...do" probably the best word choice he could apply right now, he figured "it is best to listen to what we Hikibain have to say. If we encounter others, I may ask them to speak with you as well, so long as you have the choice. You should not give up a good life if you are not making a necessary purchase."

Daichi turned his attention to Ra. "This should help you as well. With understanding, they can make better choices, whatever they decide: to fight or to flee. Then, perhaps, they will also see that they are the ones making that choice, and so will accept responsibility for whatever they choose, without complaint. But it is best for everyone if each one makes the choice that will give them the least regrets. That is what you want, too, according to what you have said."

Interesting Header

Ra nodded at Daichi amused, but only by the 'worm' part. It was a good descriptor, but inadvertently downplayed just how dangerous that particular archdemon was. 'King worm' wasn't much better, not until one saw the creature with their own eyes. "The fallen ones refer to that archdemon as Regios the Digger. It is the largest and the oldest of the three. Your people would do well to keep their eyes on that creature. It's actions may show us how long remains until the fallen ones begin their attack."

"Wait wait wait," Malik quickly cut in, "Why don't we find it? If they want to use a monster like that to protect the gate, then it can lead us right to it."

Amon thought the idea was just shy of genius at first blush, though also a bit too obvious, somehow. He kept quiet though, wondering how Ra would handle the idea.

"I'm confident the gate is not being prepared in the south, so the beast won't be leading us anywhere for the time being. Perhaps the north or the east ... or the west if they can manage a foothold in advance. Once Regios moves toward a new region, it will likely mean that we are out of time. Even if we best the archdemon when it arrives at the gate, we could arrive at our destination only to face the full might of the army we are trying to cut off. Best not to be led into destruction by the nose."

Both sancturans sighed at that, not fully agreeing or disagreeing but realizing that it was probably better to find the gate while there weren't any archdemons to worry about.

"Make no mistake," Ra continued, "Regios must be destroyed sooner or later, but unlike the other archdemons, his presence is not so easily concealed. They will be placing and moving him about very carefully."

The exchange between Angelica and Daichi was brief, but left Ra grinning, again. He could address the sharing of Kulad technology, but for the moment it fell outside both his and Raquel's plans. He let the unspoken question fade into the background for the time being, and before long, Daichi was making an important point to the group, letting them know that the choice to face the demons was not to be taken lightly. He stressed that there was nothing wrong with choosing the alternative, a life outside of the coming conflict. It was what people like him fought and died for, so it was only natural that Daichi wanted that for as many as could choose it. Hearing from others like him as they went along would prove interesting if nothing else, and help prepare the group mentally. Ra didn't seem to have an issue with it. "By all means," he said, making an offering gesture with his hand.

Daichi gave Ra a light shake of his head. "If you are asking me to give my warning now, I must clarify that it is not the best time. Not everyone is present. When I give my warning, it would be best if everyone hears it all at once. Then, I can answer any questions they have, as well. If you are simply agreeing, then I thank you for your support."

Then, Daichi gained a curiosity to his expression and very slightly tilted his head as he regarded Ra. "I have never heard of the Kulad before, but you and your technology are important to this issue. Please, tell me about your people. Did you travel to Sardius only recently, or have you been here a long time? How did the demons come to possess your 'regalia' and how do you know so much of them, to even know Wazawai Oouji's true name?"

"<Then get stronger if you can't carry the piano.>" It wasn't a serious suggestion, but it was a funny one. "<Or pick up something you can carry, like a violin, or something. And practice singing... I was a girl in Kigen who couldn't get married off or find proper work, just because I was a girl. So I picked up something that interested me. It was tough, I thought a lot of the time, 'this is a mistake, I should just find some cheap family, sell myself off to their son, help my parents'... But I didn't let those thoughts get the better of me, and now! Now I have a teacher, I'm finally learning things, and I have a group of people I can... I can hopefully learn to trust. The only thing stopping you is you, if you have something you want to do. Don't put things like 'it's been too long' or 'I'm always on the move, can't bring it with me', out there as roadblocks.>"

Haruhi blushed as she finished, realizing if this had been any man other than Thales, she might've been getting a rather stern reply. "<J-Just... If you're doing something and you aren't enjoying it, why are you doing it? Just to live? That's not really living...>"

"<Ah...>" Well, it was interesting to hear Haruhi go on like this, but also a bit awkward. "<I did not mean... Hm.>" The first part of her argument was bizarre, and Thales was about to dismiss it, but Haruhi had started providing more realistic points and experiences... it was interesting to see her side of things, if anything. "<I do enjoy... what did back then, but worry I could do more if just... never done that.>" It was his harsh take on himself, more than anything. "<Am not impressive. Not shake ground with bow, no runes, can not use magic.  Am a disadvantage.... kind of wonder if can even help much. Maybe would not have problem if just focused on being like father from start.>" It didn't matter either way, Thales was there now, pitying himself in front of a girl who seemed disgusted with him more often than not. "Eh..."

"<People not always can do what want... if so, would never need steal.>" That was a dark thought to bring up again, maybe a bit too drastic. "<But have free time, think I could try playing something. Don't think will go some place.>" It wasn't really fair comparing the two things, though. Thales shrugged, it was a bad mindset to keep, really. "<Is good you did not consider selling self. Sound horrible.>"

"<... Sometimes you've got to do bad things to get what you want. I had to steal this tome, after all...>" Haruhi just hoped it wouldn't be recognized at some point, but it had been years ago. If it was something special, they would've went looking for it. It was most likely a basic tome, and she used it for basic purposes. "<I don't know why you're beating yourself up all of a sudden. You haven't even been in a fight with us yes, how can you call yourself useless? I haven't either. My magic might not be able to do anything, but I'll still try... Geez, did the things I said earlier really get to you that much...?>" Their day had been fine aside from that, it was either her comments, or his past getting pulled up that was suddenly starting to eat at him.

"<If they did, just... N-Never mind that I said them. Okay? Everyone's... Everyone's different.>" It was still awkward to say, and she did feel a bit like she was lying, but there was also some comfort to the acceptance of it. Maybe she could get to fully accepting it in time... Even if she didn't get it.

Clod Technology

"You are welcome," Ra said, seemingly leaving it at that. Next was the 'kulad' issue.

"About that," Amon tried to chime in, again, "I'm pretty sure 'clod' is just an insult Eva was using. Actually, there's a lot more to clear up than just that if we're even going to try to start answering your questions." The amount of clarification was a little daunting at a glance, but Amon got started, anyway. "One thing to remember is the emblem--Fire Emblem, specifically. If you're thinking about a legend with the same name, that's the emblem I'm talking about. It was broken into pieces a long time ago and that's why the fallen have one. The Regalia was different, though. It was given to me for ..." Amon had to stop there. He'd been under the impression for a good while that the Regalia was his emblem ability, but the rug got pulled out from under him almost immediately when its true nature was revealed during the battle. Even so, the impression it had left on him was powerful, and even days after Ra's appearance, the Regalia still felt more like a personal ability than Ra did. He eyed the specter expectantly, hoping he would refresh his memory and fill in that part of the explanation.

"For the purpose of finding me," Ra explained, somewhat cryptically. "You are a servant, and a well trained one. Your own desire was hidden beneath all of that and needed to be drawn out."

"That's not going to clear things up for Daichi much but fine," Amon sighed. "Should I keep going or are you confused, again?" he asked Daichi, himself.

Well. That certainly changed things. Most significantly, the explanation he'd provided for himself was soundly crumpled up and tossed aside, leaving Daichi feeling lost and confused once more. As for the beginnings of Amon's explanation, citing the fire emblem, at least it rang a bell. It took some thinking, but he thought he'd heard something at some point about an object called a "fire emblem," though he didn't know anything else about it. Someone probably told him a long time ago, so the details were notably hazy. This "Regalia" was different from it, though, according to Amon. The explanation didn't get much further, but it was a good place to stop and ask for clarity, so Daichi was grateful for it. Honestly, he felt like he was blind in a foreign land, relying on incomplete, vague descriptions to find his way around.

To Amon, he nodded, his brow heavily furrowed in thorough confusion. "What is the 'fire emblem?' I have heard the name, and I know that it is a northerner legend, but that is all that I know about it. And...was not this weapon referred to as the 'emblem' before? Which does Baldima have: a 'Regalia' or an 'emblem?'"

Emgalia

"In short," Amon started, again, "The Regalia was created by the emblem."

"And just for the record," Malik quickly interjected, pointing his thumb over at Ra, "Any time he mentions 'Raquel,' he's talking about the emblem. We don't know what happened with her, but he treats them as one and the same, now."

That was an important point, Amon realized. He nodded once, then continued. "Okay, so to answer your latest question, Valdimarr has a piece of the emblem. We don't know how many there ar-" "Nine parts remain," Ra interrupted. "... okay there are nine, apparently, but they've been scattered for so long that just about anyone could have gotten a hold of one. We don't know ..." He paused, giving Ra a chance to jump in. The apparition said nothing. Okay then ... "... or at least I don't know how Valdimarr got his, but it's not as important as the fact that he has it and knows how to use it."

That just left the first question from this round. Amon actually wanted Ra to take the floor for once. He could at least put it eloquently. But of course, the two just exchange glances, with Ra leaving it to him, this time. Amon sighed and let his head fall for a moment. Why couldn't he be helpful on anyone's terms but his own? "As for the Fire Emblem, it's an artifact ... probably the oldest one there is. The gods used it to create the world and later on it was shattered into pieces." In the original legend, Wrath was the one that shattered the emblem, but according to Lilith, she was the one that did it. Amon believed her, but neither version of that part of the story served the situation, right now, so Amon left the story at that.

"The emblem has a lot of power, even though it's been broken into so many smaller parts," the sancturan concluded, hoping that was a serviceable explanation for now.

Edited by Phoenix

Ah, of course -- he remembered, now. A northern creation myth...though, perhaps not quite as mythological as he'd previously thought, not that it made a lot of sense on its own. Still wearing a perplexed expression, Daichi's eyes remained on Amon. "If your gods found this tool useful, and if it held so much power, why did they destroy it and make its pieces accessible to...people?" He hadn't quite been able to find the word he'd been looking for, and though it was distasteful to the Hikibain to refer to the demons as "people," it was the best fit he could find. Even though they were monsters, after all, they were undoubtedly intelligent and organized. Whatever this thing was that he had, if it could create things, it had more dire implications that most likely would think. "In addition, how do you know that this object is the fire emblem, and not simply a magical item that can create things? I would also like to know who this 'Raquel' is. She sounds...important." And certainly to have found herself in unusual circumstances.

From One, Many

Amon didn't actually have an answer for the first question Daichi asked after resuming his inquiry. Even though Lilith broke the emblem into a bunch of pieces, that didn't go far enough to explain their current situation. Granted, it was enough for Amon to not worry about it too much, since the initial shattering happened about five millennia ago. With such a huge amount of time to move around, what did the exact details matter? As for how they knew it was the emblem ... ... if the shoe fit? They were mainly taking Aisha and Lilith's word for it. Amon had also gotten plenty of information and impressions from Nyx, which made her his primary source at this point. He didn't know of anything else so powerful and so heavily sought after, either.

"I was tasked with guarding a piece of the Fire Emblem by the Goddess of Mercy," Joanna spoke up, her tone unusually resolute, "not something different."

Well, surely the Goddess could tell the difference, Amon thought, slightly amused by the mental image he conjured up. Nyx would remain his primary source in spite of that, though. He'd received his 'experiences' with the emblem from her, after all. "We don't have a clue how the pieces wound up where they did, save for a couple of them. The best I can do is tell you that everyone involved, mortals and immortals, are all treating these things like the genuine Fire Emblem."

"Raquel is fully aware of her own nature, as well," Ra put in, "She was once a merchant's daughter, his assistant. She happened upon one of the fragments in her travels with him. She drew many allies and enemies to her through that one action. Eventually, and through a feat of will I can only aspire to, she joined with it. That is why I do not distinguish them. There is no longer any need for that. They are united in both will and purpose."

Malik's face suddenly went pale, and stole a glance at Joanna, particularly the emblem piece she wore on her neck. What Ra said about the emblem had certain implications for them and their mission. Amon noticed the reaction though, and gave Malik a questioning look. The red haired sancturan shook his head back, not wanting to get into it, right now.

Edited by Phoenix

From the sound of things, there could be no doubt that this item was what they said it was. That had bigger implications than the northerners and southerners probably realized. After all, the people of Kigen, by in large, didn't worship the four deities of the north. Instead, they ignored them, for the most part, and considered them to be both distant and unrelated to modern affairs. Daichi, himself, hadn't given them much thought in his day-to-day life, but he was amicable to the idea of them. This was especially so since his late wife had been quite firm in her beliefs, and especially grateful to the goddess Mercy. So much so that Daichi, himself, held a special reverence for the deity, quite sure of her existence, and even holding his own gratitude toward her. However, being Kigenese, he also felt estranged from the northern gods. The people of Ursium and Neviskotia belonged to them, and they to the northerners. Those who lived further south had their own protectors, and had as much a place to approach the four northern gods as a stranger had to ask someone else for a deeply personal favor. That was the feeling that Daichi had on the issue: it simply would not have been appropriate. The rest of Kigen, however... This was proof that the northern gods existed, and that northern legends could be, at least to an extent, trusted. It was a little mind-boggling, even to someone as accepting of northern ideas as Daichi.

Unfortunately, it seemed that no one could answer his question of why the gods didn't keep this object safe with them, and instead allowed it to fall to the world. That did make sense -- it must have been difficult even for the northerners to understand their deities' motives for things. Or...perhaps they hadn't understood his question? The Avian girl had, apparently, spoke directly to the goddess Mercy. That, itself, was surprising, really. According to what he had been told, only a very special person dedicated to the goddess could hear her, and there was only one person in all of Ursium who held that position. To add to all the surprising revelations was an explanation on Raquel from Ra. The story was succinct, but held all the information Daichi needed for his question on that to be answered...not that he didn't have any more questions. Though, honestly, given all this information that everyone around him seemed to know, it felt like he was being brought into the fold of a cult or a coup.

"You do not know why your gods did not keep this item with them, then...and yet, at least one wants it to be protected," Daichi summarized, half trying to rephrase his earlier question to confirm if they really didn't know or if he just didn't speak correctly. He continued his summary, a little bit. "And this girl is now living within these pieces of the Fire Emblem... No, she has become them. So...we are trying to rescue her from Baldima, in addition to stopping the demons' plans to destroy Ursium, Neviskotia, and Kigen. Is that correct?"

Daichi grimaced a bit and loosed a small, quick sigh before looking to Joanna. "I do not mean to ask so many questions before waiting for answers, but... You spoke directly to the goddess Mercy. Are you the person in Ursium who can speak directly to her? The..." what was that title? "arch...bishop?"

The question attached was obvious: if this was so secret from the Ursian rulers, then why was someone of such importance aware of it, and further, here, instead of with her own entourage of uniformed acolytes or soldiers? Daichi wasn't ready to ask these questions, yet, however. There was still quite a bit to sort through, and those questions might have been invalid, anyway, if his understanding of the situation was wrong.