SoV Mentioned During Nintendo Financial Report

SOURCE: http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-q1-financial-results-fy32018-switch-at-4-7-million-shipped-total/

So during Nintendo's financial report, they highlighted some figures for the Switch and 3DS. Interestingly enough, they decided to mention the following:

"For Nintendo 3DS, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was released in Japan in April and overseas in May and has been a popular title."

Could this be an indication that Shadows of Valentia sold much better than previously expected, or is this just Nintendo PR speak for the 3DS? Perhaps IS will be willing to remake other games in the series if this game was considered "popular" by Nintendo.

Edited by DragonLord

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't shock me.  Sure its a remaster and all but for all intents and purposes to the West its a brand new Fire Emblem and FE is pretty much a heavy hitter IP for Nintendo now up there with Zelda, Mario and Pokemon. 

I'll keep my expectations low and assume it's PR talk.

Wasn't Shadows of Valentia pretty much the only Nintendo-published 3DS title during that quarter? I assume they wanted to remind investors that they are still supporting the 3DS as promised.

5 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I'll keep my expectations low and assume it's PR talk.

Wasn't Shadows of Valentia pretty much the only Nintendo-published 3DS title during that quarter? I assume they wanted to remind investors that they are still supporting the 3DS as promised.

I agree, the lack of solid numbers is odd to say the least. 

They did release Ever Oasis, though, right?

29 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It probably sold as well as most of us expected-- people will still keep trying to spin it to fit their martyr narrative.

Martyr narrative? Martyr to what? "Traditional" anti-post Awakening gameplay, story and characters?

Contrariwise, one could spin a narrative of "its sales were crap we must move on and embrace modern FE!"

As long as Nintendo broke even and made a little profit and will continue to make remakes of the older games, I'm fine.

52 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It probably sold as well as most of us expected-- people will still keep trying to spin it to fit their martyr narrative.

I'am rather curious as to what this narrative is as well.  I know some dislike the story of the 3ds games and casual mode but nothing much more than that.

I've seen a good deal of positive reception of Echoes from fans and considering that it was likely built off of the graphics of Awakening and Fates, they probably didn't need to make as much back.

Hopefully they'll remake other games in this format.

Uhh I made a thread about this before this post happened but oh well....

Yeah, the oddity that sales numbers aren't even shown just proves that this isn't doing as what fans expect it to do....

@VincentASM

Come on man don't be like that...I mean sure its still odd but atleast they mentioned it on a good note right?

Edited by Harvey

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Martyr narrative? Martyr to what? "Traditional" anti-post Awakening gameplay, story and characters?

Contrariwise, one could spin a narrative of "its sales were crap we must move on and embrace modern FE!"

As long as Nintendo broke even and made a little profit and will continue to make remakes of the older games, I'm fine.

49 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

I'am rather curious as to what this narrative is as well.  I know some dislike the story of the 3ds games and casual mode but nothing much more than that.

Even on this very forum people have trotted out "it's a failure, FE's dead for good, boo hoo". It's, of course, more prevalent elsewhere but the same basic "reasoning" applies. 

2 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Wouldn't shock me.  Sure its a remaster and all but for all intents and purposes to the West its a brand new Fire Emblem and FE is pretty much a heavy hitter IP for Nintendo now up there with Zelda, Mario and Pokemon. 

Yeah, this. Nintendo's Big 3 is pretty much the Big 4 now, though FE is still the lesser of them overall, seeing as Mario and Pokemon are tough to match and Zelda is, well, Zelda.

50 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Even on this very forum people have trotted out "it's a failure, FE's dead for good, boo hoo". It's, of course, more prevalent elsewhere but the same basic "reasoning" applies. 

Ooooooh you mean those lol.  I was confused what you meant by martyr.  I equate that more to the elitist vs casual debacles that are often had but for the sake of the thread.  Won't dare go to that place...

Could be true, could just be empty air, them talking up their 3DS support to investors...

But I trust it more than VGChartz, that much I'll say for certain.

49 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Yeah, I've more or less just tuned them out at this point.  It's a bunch of delusion marred further by a sense of elitism and somewhat diluted nostalgia.  I don't have problems with people who don't like the 3DS games and I'm all for constructive criticism, but it gets annoying when these people try to turn every new game into an old vs. new battleground.  It goes beyond criticism; people start projecting their illusion of a perfect world onto the game and get hostile when it doesn't go exactly how they want it to.

33 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Could be true, could just be empty air, them talking up their 3DS support to investors...

But I trust it more than VGChartz, that much I'll say for certain.

Yeah, I've more or less just tuned them out at this point.  It's a bunch of delusion marred further by a sense of elitism and somewhat diluted nostalgia.  I don't have problems with people who don't like the 3DS games and I'm all for constructive criticism, but it gets annoying when these people try to turn every new game into an old vs. new battleground.  It goes beyond criticism; people start projecting their illusion of a perfect world onto the game and get hostile when it doesn't go exactly how they want it to.

I get that. Like Fates isn't perfect and can be improved in some areas, but I don't praise the older games like god.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, this. Nintendo's Big 3 is pretty much the Big 4 now, though FE is still the lesser of them overall, seeing as Mario and Pokemon are tough to match and Zelda is, well, Zelda.

Well it is newly a large IP for Nintendo. It will be hard for it to seem on par considering the years Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon have had as a major IP, but give it time. If Fire Emblem Switch and FE Warriors goes well, it will seem a little more on par. I wouldnt be surprised for Fire Emblem Switch to headline Nintendo's E3 presentation next year alongside Pokemon, since Mario will already be out by then and Zelda BoTW will be dying down in popularity in favor of newer titles.

11 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Well it is newly a large IP for Nintendo. It will be hard for it to seem on par considering the years Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon have had as a major IP, but give it time. If Fire Emblem Switch and FE Warriors goes well, it will seem a little more on par. I wouldnt be surprised for Fire Emblem Switch to headline Nintendo's E3 presentation next year alongside Pokemon, since Mario will already be out by then and Zelda BoTW will be dying down in popularity in favor of newer titles.

Well yeah, of course. :P I'm well aware of all this. Though that's assuming FE Switch doesn't actually come out before E3 or not long after it.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Well yeah, of course. :P I'm well aware of all this. Though that's assuming FE Switch doesn't actually come out before E3 or not long after it.

I think it will be after E3. Before E3 seems a little too soon, I am guessing a late next year release, gives it an appropriate amount of time to be developed and worked on.

Just now, Tolvir said:

I think it will be after E3. Before E3 seems a little too soon, I am guessing a late next year release, gives it an appropriate amount of time to be developed and worked on.

Oh, I do agree, but since nothing is confirmed yet other than 2018, we can't be sure.

@Anacybele Splatoon's stepped up as well and Metroid seems set to come back. You're overselling FE a bit-- yeah, it's a lot more prevalent now but it's not like it's at the heels of Mario/Pokemon/Zelda. 

Just now, The DanMan said:

@Anacybele Splatoon's stepped up as well and Metroid seems set to come back. You're overselling FE a bit-- yeah, it's a lot more prevalent now but it's not like it's at the heels of Mario/Pokemon/Zelda. 

I never said it was equal to those three in terms of sales or popularity. Just that it's being pushed and marketed at just about the same caliber and other franchises aren't on that level.

16 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Splatoon has 2 games I would give that one some time but given another good release to establish itself as a trilogy it'll hopefully be up there since competative shooters are an area Nintendo is sorely lacking (I know Nintendo won't call it a shooter but thats pretty much what it is granted a very unique innovative take).  God I hope Metroid makes a come back Prime 4 needs to sell great, good or breaking even isn't good enough for it. I have no doubt it will do decent given the hype around it and the Switch's growing install base but if it doesn't and only sells to core fans or does similar to the Prime sales that came before it then I don't know  how likely Nintendo will support "core" Metroid releases.

Edited by LordOTaco

31 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Splatoon has 2 games I would give that one some time but given another good release to establish itself as a trilogy it'll hopefully be up there since competative shooters are an area Nintendo is sorely lacking (I know Nintendo won't call it a shooter but thats pretty much what it is granted a very unique innovative take).  God I hope Metroid makes a come back Prime 4 needs to sell great, good or breaking even isn't good enough for it. I have no doubt it will do decent given the hype around it and the Switch's growing install base but if it doesn't and only sells to core fans or does similar to the Prime sales that came before it then I don't know  how likely Nintendo will support "core" Metroid releases.

For how young it is, it's sprung up far more than FE. It didn't have Smash or a broad console install base to coast off of. It was released on Nintendo's second biggest failure and sold over a million copies in a month.

The first Prime sold 2.8 million, putting it just above the original Metroid (around 2.7 million). Metroid was a 1-2 million seller; far from niche, but not quite on same level as a big three. A lot like FE right now... .
I see SR doing about 750k and Prime 4 doing about 1.5 million.

50 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I never said it was equal to those three in terms of sales or popularity. Just that it's being pushed and marketed at just about the same caliber and other franchises aren't on that level.

It's got spin-offs and stuff, but it's still an outlier; listing it as part of a "big 4" for Nintendo is stretching things.

10 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It's got spin-offs and stuff, but it's still an outlier; listing it as part of a "big 4" for Nintendo is stretching things.

I disagree, and we'll just have to agree to do that.

24 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

As far as IPs go, Nintendo's making bank on Fire Emblem ever since Awakening/Fates took off, winning awards and bringing in huge amounts of cash. 

Gone are the days of Donkey Kong and Kirby boasting the Minor IP status compared to the big leagues of Pokemon, Mario and Zelda, but Fire Emblem's rapidly approaching hilariously popular status. Come on, Nintendo picked it up as a Major IP just a few years ago and has churned out:

1. A Mobile Game, the third of four (with Animal Crossing not yet released being the fourth), following that Mii game and Mario Run
  2. Many DS games 
  3. Continuous entries in Super Smash Bros
  4. A game announced for the Switch extremely early, something we still haven't seen from DK/Kirby/Animal Crossing/F-Zero/etc
    1. Not to mention TMS#FE, the trading card game and spin-off Warriors game which they could adopt, all picked up by IS and/or other organizations
  5. Re-releases of classics

I say Minor IP because last April, Nintendo declared FE to be a "Major IP" for themselves. They are a Big 4, and there's no arguing otherwise unless you're deliberately ignoring sales, popularity and even little things like cameos and side-serieses (Cipher, Warriors TMS#FE). They're not as big as Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, but they're not so little as Kirby/DK/F-Zero. Heck, I'd say they rival Metroid whatever you'd call something between Minor and Major, at worst.

Edited by Elieson