Those chapters that you hate playing in any FE game

Armagon

There's always those chapters that you just hate playing on. Usually, it's one game, but sometimes, you have chapters among several games in the series that you just despise. What are those chapters for you? For me, it's Ch.21 in Binding Blade. Reinforcements that spawn based on your location on the map, rather than a set turn. In addition, you have a time limit of 30 turns if you want to access the Gaiden chapter. And Ch.21 is pretty big. To top it off, the boss of that chapter, Murdock, is fairly strong. Also in Binding Blade, i don't like Ch.11A, because recruiting Thea (Tate) without having her or her Pegasus Knight squad suicide on the enemy is a pain in the ass. So is trying to save the villages from the bandits that spawn on like, turn 4. But hey, at least i get Echidna out of it.

On a more general scale, i hate any desert map, the biggest offenders being Ch.14 in Binding Blade and Ch.7 in Genealogy of the Holy War. The Sacred Stones and Blazing Blade desert maps aren't that bad though. Echoes' desert maps for me can range from terrible (Wolff's fort) to ehh (Deen/Sonya's maps).

On another general scale, i hate literally every Genealogy chapter. I personally believe that Genealogy has the worst map design in the entire series just because of how long it takes to get from point A to point B and how it's borderline impossible to save the villages completely intact, and how the map is generally empty half the time.

Now, i don't hate this chapter anymore, but i didn't like Ch.27 in Blazing Blade (Eliwood's tale). But then i found out about the Mine Glitch and the rest is history.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Binding Blade Chapter 16.  I am not a fan of trying to cage Douglas, considering he's pretty unreasonable in it.  Apparently, being the opponent of Mage General Cecilia, Knight General Perceval, the son and daughter of the previous Mage General, the king's missing son Elffin/Myrddin, and his own adoptive daughter Larum is not enough to convince him to defect and become easier to protect.

Pretty much any chapter in FE10 where Geoffrey is the "lord."  I do not like those maps AT ALL.  On a similar note, 2-1 is horrible and should die.

The Black Knight in Path of Radiance for being an annoying Luck based mission.  This wouldn't have been nearly as annoying if IS wasn't 1. Shoving Ike down your throat, forcing him to fight solo when he may or may not have the stats to do so (the first time I played, Ike was twoshot due to his low defense and thus could not consistently attack) and 2. including a goddamn time limit.  

The Kitsunes in Conquest for combining all of the following: not very interesting map (it's basically divided into four "quadrants" with clumps of enemies), annoying gimmick that makes the enemies invincible, lack of enemy variety, and beastbane.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

The Wind Village in Fates. Too often I have to choose between sending a strike team up into a pack of enemies waiting, or retreat all my units back where we lose several turns of progress and will likely run into the same dilemna after those few turns. I would much rather Dragon veins stop the incoming air blasts rather than skip forward to the next cycle. The entire map is covered with one direction or the other, and that leaves nowhere to stand. The only sensible way to do this map is send your units immediately left, catch some air drifts upward to the boss, then work your way backwards to the chests, because it's much easier to backtrack on this stage than it is to move forward. Plus it's a rout chapter which wastes even more of my time. I can't have a thief accompany a flier for those chests as I have Corrin wait on the throne for a faster clear, I need to parade my units around until all the enemies are dead.

Chapter 6 of Sacred Stones. I dreaded this map as a kid. I had to save those green units if I wanted to promote Neimi whom I always used. Fog of War has always been a cheap way of putting your army at a unique disadvantage, and frankly, I find that your units aren't strong enough to survive most ambushes on this map. I was also unaware of the torch glitch on thieves as a kid. But even when I replay the game these days, my plan for this map is to grind Seth to level 20 on Chapter 5's arena, then throw him into the fog until everybody dies and he can save the greenies.

That Path of Radiance mission where you duel the Black Knight after a long chapter and there's no saving between. Even with a properly leveled Ike and Mist, you can still fail your preferred outcome

10 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

The Kitsunes in Conquest for combining all of the following: not very interesting map (it's basically divided into four "quadrants" with clumps of enemies), annoying gimmick that makes the enemies invincible, lack of enemy variety, and beastbane.

5 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

The Wind Village in Fates.

Oh yeah, these two maps were pretty bad too. That reminds me, I also hate Conquest Ch.17 a.k.a Ninja Hell. The boss, Kotaro, is a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Edited by Armagon

13 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

Binding Blade Chapter 16.  I am not a fan of trying to cage Douglas, considering he's pretty unreasonable in it.  Apparently, being the opponent of Mage General Cecilia, Knight General Perceval, the son and daughter of the previous Mage General, the king's missing son Elffin/Myrddin, and his own adoptive daughter Larum is not enough to convince him to defect and become easier to protect.

I dislike that chapter more for the map layout than Douglas. The "main" entrance has a lot of dead space and is essentially the wrong way in (and Roy's default position is there), and the chests are in two groups on opposite sides of the map.

Upheaval + Witches + Indoor Tiles + Mire + Cantors= Never Again. At this point every single chapters in Echoes is something I never want to go through again.

Fog of War, not a fan of in general. Some chapters are fine and then some are Ephraim Chapter 11 or 26 of FE 7.

Donnel's, Severa's and Tiki's Paralogue in Awakening. I hate how Tiki has nothing equipped, so my formation was surround her and just mash A when the enemies are coming. I hate how with Donnel, he has to get a level up for him to join your party and getting him 1 level up can be a chore (especially on the higher difficulty); all for a unit that I feel isn't worth it. Severa... this paralogue alone is why she's one of least favourites in Awakening.

Edited by I'm a Spheal
Made it further into Echoes

Really hate Battle Before Dawn in FE7. It can stupid if Jaffar decides to try to tank Swordreavers with his face and not heal himself. Plus the mad rush to get in there. 

Father And Son in FE8. I hate Berserk staves. D:

Geoffrey's Charge. Terrible map design, full of weaklings that do nothing but block your way. No strategical thought is needed, only patience. Super high enemy density. Makes the worst map in Awakening look well designed (at least Awakening's engine is fast). To make it worse, there are a bazillion allied units, that make it even slower.

It pretty much has an exemple of everything wrong with Radiant Dawn.

Edited by Nobody

I have a lot of maps I dislike playing in FE.

FE1 : Port Warren map (the map is just one big choke point, it's long and boring. You can't even warp skip it because of Roger) 

The Pyrathi map (You fight even more Pirates and you have to have Marth go to a completely out of the way village to recruit a character and this map also features infinite reinforcements)

FE2 : The archer desert fort (In this map you fight a bunch of 1-3 range archers in a fort surrounded by a huge desert relegating your units to 1-2 movement. Luckily if you're able to avoid the Sniper boss with a 1-5 range Steel bow, you could solo this map with the two Pegasus Goddesses you recruit in the previous map.)

FE3 : The infamous chapter 3 (It's the most boring map in the game. Unless you know the trick to have Matthis only attack you at two range with his Javelin, you'd have to travel all the way around the whole mountain to recruit Julian which usually takes 6+ turns of just moving Marth and hitting "End Turn".)

FE4 : Basically every map in the game...

FE5 and FE6 : These maps aren't really boring they're just difficult, I enjoy playing some of these.

(I have vague memories of FE7 and FE8)

FE11 : (Same as FE1) 

FE12 : Chapter 12 (The map doesn't start off that bad but after a set number of turn reinforcements spawn out of every fort in the map. The map has like nine forts and it can catch you off guard if you don't have the reinforcements memorized. Especially since they spawn 12 move flying dragons with high speed. They can kill literally any unit you have out on the field)

Chapter 3 (Same as FE3 except you can't cheese the map by having Matthis throw his Javelin at you because of AI priorities.) 

(I haven't played FE13 or 14)

FE15 : (Same as FE2)

2-1 in FE10 because of fucking Nephenee
She has bad bases and bad equipment. The enemies have 1-2 range weapons while your allies don't. This makes it more or less luckbased.
In general I hate chapters with a low number of allies against a large number.
Also the A.I. in this chapter is absolutely unpredictable. Sometimes the myrm on the top moves, sometimes he doesn't.

Geoffrey's charge is hella fun for me because because it's an exp. gold mine for Marcia.

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

The Wind Village chapters in Fates (at least in Conquest and Revelation) can go directly to Hell, do not pass Go, and do not collect 200 dollars. If you happen to get the wrong ally blown away and separated from the rest of your party, you might as well restart. And in Conquest, everyone and their grandma has at least one Seal skill to add to the "fun".

The Wooden Cavalry in Shadow Dragon is terrible and should die.. Ballisticians and their 3-10 range are pretty much all there is on the map. And it tends to be set up such that you can't attack one without being in range of at least one other.

Literally every chapter in Genealogy. I have to agree that Genealogy has the worst map design in the entire series.

FE6 chapter 14 is very awful. It's a desert map combined with fog of war, and it forces a level 1 unit that must survive to boot.

32 minutes ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

She has bad bases and bad equipment. The enemies have 1-2 range weapons while your allies don't. This makes it more or less luckbased.
Also the A.I. in this chapter is absolutely unpredictable. Sometimes the myrm on the top moves, sometimes he doesn't.

Geoffrey's charge is hella fun for me because because it's an exp. gold mine for Marcia.

Omg yes. Neph is B A D and actively harms my progress in that chapter cuz shes on the verge of dying all the time. I have to hurry to get Heather, then spend way too many turns making sure no one dies to the boss, since Brom cant double. 

I also enjoy Geoffrey's Charge.

FE1: Nothing particularly sticks out. For the remake, Chapter 3's boss is something to fear on high difficulties. Hyman's a jerk.
FE2: The Desert Fort and Wolf's horde of archers being a pain.
FE3: Chapter 11: Sand. Sand. Did I mention sand?
FE4: The Disturbance of Agustria, Chapter 2. Rushing for the Bargain Ring before the village got trashed, dealing with the ballistas at Mackily, Lachesis's stupid paladins you need to protect for the Knight Ring, the big long backtracking session after Anphony... Dishonourable mention to the climb to Yied in Chapter 7.
FE5: Chapter 5 is a nightmare to get through. Make one mistake and all your progress goes down the drain, or else you're forced to march on without a dead unit.
FE6: Everyone likes the desert in this game, right?
FE7: Night of Farewells and its sinking platforms isn't exactly fun.
FE8: When I started playing FE, I got stuck on the desert here. Scorched Sands, you were a right pain. Desert routs combined with first time player incompetence doesn't result in anything good.
FE9: Nothing in particular. Normal was a mindless steamroll and I didn't play anything harder.

25 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Geoffrey's Charge. Terrible map design, full of weaklings that do nothing but block your way. No strategical thought is needed, only patience. Super high enemy density. Makes the worst map in Awakening look well designed (at least Awakening's engine is fast). To make it worse, there are a bazillion allied units, that make it even slower.

It pretty much has an exemple of everything wrong with Radiant Dawn.

I disagree. All those weak enemies are there for BEXP's sake. You'll have an easier time slaying them all, and their weakness lets you train the Crimean Royal Knights easily. However, killing them reduces your BEXP reward at the end, which is a great incentive to be a pacifist if you don't plan on using any of the CRK in the long run. You can set the Allied units to not attack by the way, so there goes the tedium of them. And map is thematically well-done too. You cannot seriously say that things like Validar's final battle are better designed than Geoffrey's Charge. It's 2-1 and Nephenee's bases which is the real problem map of Part 2. 

As for my dreaded maps, Conquest Wind Tribe is the worst for me. The ninja and kitsune chapters can be safely tanked- not so with Windlandia. Revelation is bad map after bad map with the only question being "how quickly can I bring this particular ugh-fest to an end?". BR's problem is it's lategame maps being just big wave after big wave of the same strong foes, and several of the midgame chapters are the same thing, except with enemies that hit like mini marshmallows that have been soaking in a nice hot chocolate bath.

In FE7, it's not so much any given map, as it is the very restricted deployment slots on pretty much every chapter on Hard Mode. Though I will say the desert chapter here is very annoying if you're aiming for Ranks, the treasure, and Genesis access. FE8 has no real atrocious battles (outside of maybe the Phantom Backstab), nor does FE9, but I do find the whole of C17 to be an eyesore visually.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I disagree. All those weak enemies are there for BEXP's sake. You'll have an easier time slaying them all, and their weakness lets you train the Crimean Royal Knights easily. However, killing them reduces your BEXP reward at the end, which is a great incentive to be a pacifist if you don't plan on using any of the CRK in the long run. You can set the Allied units to not attack by the way, so there goes the tedium of them. And map is thematically well-done too. You cannot seriously say that things like Validar's final battle are better designed than Geoffrey's Charge. It's 2-1 and Nephenee's bases which is the real problem map of Part 2. 

Doesn't make the chapter any less boring or less of a dread, though.

Actually, a pacifist approach makes the map even more boring lol

I find Validar's map less boring simply due to the fact that I can skip enemy phase. On Radiant Dawn I have to deal with the awful slowness.

Edited by Nobody

2-1 in RD is one of my least favorites. 

You have a squishy Nephenee who suffers a speed penalty because of her greatlance, nerfing her one redeeming quality, a Brom who can't double anything, Heather, who you can miss entirely if you don't have Nephenee make a mad dash through a horde of bandits, a tanky boss who can really only be consistently hurt by Brom that also heals, and a map layout that is just really no fun to move through. 

It's a very, very tedious map. 

I know there are some other ones that I really hate, but 2-1 was brought up and I have some particular feelings on it. 

Edited by Slumber

I hate:

• Some of the early chapters in Awakening, mostly just because it largely serves as a tutorial; some, like the one where you have to protect Emmeryn, are genuinely fun, though.
  • The DLC of Awakening (certain maps, anyway) because you're expected to be at end game by the time you get around to doing them.  So basically, you either grind the hell out of your units (easier with DLC, obviously) or you gotta play through the entire game in order to play Future Past.  As much as I loved that story, Heirs of Fate was handled a lot better from a gameplay standpoint.
  • Any chapter in the Archanea games involving enemy ballistae, particularly if you don't have any ballistae yourself; fuck the Wooden Cavalry, they even suck in Fates.
  • The one chapter before you fight Michalis in SD; I believe it was taken out in Mystery, but put back in for the DS remake.  It's a genuine slog.
  • Every chapter of CQ after 15, mostly because of how the story plays out at that point.  Especially when you start having to actually kill (instead of capture) characters.
  • Okay, if we're talking gameplay-wise, some Conquest chapters are legitimate slogs, but it's been a while since I played it, so I don't remember exactly which ones aside from a select few.
  • The goddamn Mokushu chapter in every goddamn path of Fates; it always sucks, no matter how I approach it or which path I go through.  Even in Birthright, somehow.
  • Wind Tribe chapters in CQ and Rev; I'm up for an element of randomness challenging one tactically, but this wind BS is too much.  Hayato has a pretty shitty home.
  • Any chapter with FoW; this includes the chapter in Revelation where you're breaking up ice.
  • Most chapters in Revelation, particularly 16-17; I'd probably actually like 17 if it wasn't for the fact that if you fail at all, you have to redo 16 as well.
  • Almost all of Celica's path in Gaiden/Echoes.  It'd be truly hellish without the assistance of the Whitewings.  Obviously people refer to the desert fort, but the swamps are literal slogs as well.
  • Alm's lonesome quest to obtain McGuffin sword; it serves mostly to fulfill a power fantasy rather than actually challenge you.  And... story.
    Spoiler

Alm stabbing Celica with Falchion somehow being the thing that saves Celica's soul just screams anime.  I can suspend my disbelief, but I can't suspend my good faith in writers.  It was a lazy resolution to a problem that was lazily put together in the first place.  Goddamn, it's so stupid and cheesy.

1 hour ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

57 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Omg yes. Neph is B A D and actively harms my progress in that chapter cuz shes on the verge of dying all the time. I have to hurry to get Heather, then spend way too many turns making sure no one dies to the boss, since Brom cant double. 

I also enjoy Geoffrey's Charge.

Damn and I actually like Neph.  In that chapter it is hard to keep her alive but I always ended up training her up into a beast.

A few. Quite a few actually. I will go from newest to oldest in this case.

Fire Emblem Echoes

Almost the entirety of Celica's part 4 maps. All those swamps can just disappear. I hated all of those maps. Just a terrible idea as a whole. Nothing but frustrating, though I will say the keep in the Swamp wasnt so bad. That one was a little enjoyable.

Fire Emblem Fates

The damn tower with the Rainbow Sage that is in every route. The damn Rainbow Sage can jump out the top of that thing for all I care, I absolutely hate those maps. On top of that Revelation's forest maps can burn as well. Especially the one with Azura's mother for the 567th time. Talk about re using a boss to ad nauseum.

Fire Emblem Awakening

In general just the really wide open fields. They were just boring. In particular one of the final chapters in the game, the one where you have to get the ritual done or whatever. It sucked. A lot.

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

First and foremost. BRIDGE PART 2! Other than that, the swamp Dawn Brigade map was annoying as well. All the stupid poison and having to protect the villagers. It was like they decided Fire Emblem needed more annoying poison swamp maps. That and the part 4 Desert map was annoying. It was just too big with too many units. That and Stephan is an extra pain in the ass to get on that map.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance.

This one isnt so bad. The bridge again was quite annoying, but I will say it wasnt as bad as the sequel versions. Really all of the early maps are what suck for me. Its just annoying to go through with such low resources and no shops. But once you get to Galia and Ike becomes the leader, it starts getting better. Cant think of a single map past that point that was just an absolute nightmare to play through.

FE1: I've only played the FE3 Book 1 version but Port Warren, Camus the Sable, and the final chapter.
FE2 & Echoes: Desert maps and most of Act 3 (The latter only in Gaiden)
FE6: Ch 14, 16x, 20x Sacae and 21
FE7: I find Ch. 9 boring, Ch. 20H because of Legault spawning on turn 1, Ch. 28
FE8: Ch. 7 is boring, Ch. 14 and 15 on Ephraim's side
FE9: Ch. 8, 23, and 26
FE13: Flames on the Blue and Naga's Voice
Conquest: Ch. 10, Ch.12, Ch. 22, Ch. 23, Ch. 26, and Endgame
Revelation: (Only played up to Ch. 12) Ch. 8-12

Other disliked chapters that come to mind:

On a general scale, chapters with an obnoxiously low deployment limit, particularly 2-1

Conquest chapter 23 (Great Wall of Oboro... Her squadron Zerg rushing you if you have anyone on the wall is just awful to deal with, and you have That One Boss at the end.)

The BK fight in Path of Radiance (too luck based, and has a time limit)

3-10 in Radiant Dawn (dumb Crimeans)

4-4 in the same game (boatloads of enemies, and you have to field two units who can't hope to contribute)

Nearly all Paralogues in Fates after a certain point (Ignatius, Sophie, Selkie, Forrest, and Shiro in particular have really bad ones)

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Nearly all Paralogues in Fates after a certain point (Ignatius, Sophie, Selkie, Forrest, and Shiro in particular have really bad ones)

Oh yeah, the Paralogues just have a massive spike in difficulty after Ch.18 in any path. Ignatius gave me so much trouble. Didn't help that it was Conquest. I hear if you get the hard version of Shiro's Paralouge, it's basically impossible unless you use a Rescue Staff on him.

14 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Damn and I actually like Neph.  In that chapter it is hard to keep her alive but I always ended up training her up into a beast.

14 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

On the other hand if you play with transfer boosts in strength and speed, Nephenne is really great. Can double pretty much everyone including Yeardley.
It's her base equipment which screws her (unboosted). Iron great lance and javelin would work best for her. 
In no other chapter and for no other character transfer boosts are as relevant as in 2-1.

1-9 is pretty much the same.
It's technically possible to find a place for Micky where she never can get attacked by anyone but it takes tons of attempts to figure it out. 
Otherwise you have to invest in her. You have to make sure that she can take one shot and won't get doubled by giving her resolve.

Other chapters I dislike:

• FE5 - Chapter 24x: Fucking warptiles 
  • FE6 - Chapter 7: Tons of enemies who have 1-2 range weapons including dracos who can oneshot several allies. I never could recruit Treck in vanilla FE6 HM. 
  • FE7 -The chapter where Zephiel has to survive because it's technically luckbased. Easily the worst FE chapter of all time.
  • Conquest: The one against the ninjas where you should keep Saizo alive. And the one against the Kitsunes because thanks to their pass and unaffected movement range it's super hard to keep your slow and fragile units alive.
  • Revelations: The one with the doors. Reminds me on an old Game Show.
Edited by Reimu Hakurei