Those chapters that you hate playing in any FE game

Armagon

18 minutes ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

On the other hand if you play with transfer boosts in strength and speed, Nephenne is really great. Can double pretty much everyone including Yeardley.
It's her base equipment which screws her (unboosted). Iron great lance and javelin would work best for her.

Even with the transfer bonuses, the odds are against Nephenee to cap strength. She'll almost certainly cap speed, but that +2 speed bonus is instantly negated by the 2 speed penalty she'll get for the Steel Greatlance.

Her other main problem is her squishiness, in a chapter full of axers and Yeardley, who will give her some major problems, and she's even less likely to get any sort of transfer bonus from that than she is strength.

And that's assuming you specifically pick Nephenee to make it to 20/20 in PoR, when there are units who would make likely make better uses out of the transfer bonus than she will(The premmie crew in the DB chapters or Ike's Mercenaries for example, would make much better use of those bonuses). Even with those transfer boosts, Nephenee's really still not an amazing unit in RD. She has spotty availability, her stats are nothing special, and she really doesn't have a role among the Crimean Army. Elincia's not really hurting for speedy dodgetanks OR competent lance users. And as good as Nephenee is in PoR, I don't see her hitting 20/20 naturally if you're not giving her special attention.

Of course, if you like Nephenee and she hits those caps and gets to 20/20 in PoR, then yeah. She'll be a... fine unit in RD and 2-1 will be a bit easier. But I'd imagine that for most people, whether it be people who don't baby super units, or people going for efficient transfer bonuses, she won't even see these bonuses. Which makes her just a major pain in the ass to use in RD(2-1 specifically).

Edited by Slumber

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the average stats she only needs one energy drop to cap strength.
In all seriousness the only units who really need transfer boosts (if you want to have a much easier time in FE10 HM) are Jill (strength, speed, defense) and Nephenee (strength, speed, and preferable defense).

The thing is that she has to ORKO the enemies on her own (javelin soldier, steel bow archer) to prevent multiple hits and to make the way free for Brom to visit the villages and recruit Heather. It's possible with 21 AS. It's exactly the opposite task distribution than originally.

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

The friggin' bridge maps in PoR and RD...just annoying.

I also don't like the Wind Tribe map in Fates.  It had a cool concept, but I think what kinda ruined it was where you could move to and such.

And one reason why I haven't finished Genealogy is because I don't like the maps.  They're big, but barren and just tedious in my opinion.

The map before you recruit Jesse strikes me. The one anti-fliers archer before Duma Tower, at a point where I might theoretically be terrified of it, and slow desert movement to make approaching him with anything other than the pegasi a nightmare. Doesn't help that I never remember to enter the damn place to recruit Jesse and loot it.

FE7: Chapter 14. It's a big map, and to make it worse it has rain. Erk might suicide, and it's just too boring.

FE12: Chapter 3. If you want to recruit everyone, you have to send Marth all around the map and park Palla at the village for a couple of turns, and Matthis is a pain to recruit. Also, there's a turn limit to get to the gaiden chapter.

FE13: Tiki's Paralouge. My solution was to surrond Tiki in a two square radius diamond and clump together my units with Pair Up, and spam Rallies for good measure.

Conquest: Chapter 17: Annoying Ninja Cave, Chapter 19: Can't Let You Hit That StarFox, Chapter 20: Basically A Pokémon Gym Puzzle, Chapter 21: Stairway of Hell, Chapter 23: Trumpkumi's Wall, and finally, Chapter 24: Hinoka F***s Up Everyone's Movement. Those titles show my contempt for them.

FE14 Conquest: The chapter where you face foxes. That chapter is a bit frustrating since you can't hurt the foxes while they are camouflaged.

FE6: Oh boy...where to begin?

Chapter 10B: Nothing really wrong with it...just has a bunch of annoying fetch quests to get all the goddies is what's annoying about it.

Chapter 14: This %$%@#%@#% chapter can go to hell!  the main problem is again a bunch of fetch quests that you have to step at specific spots that give you goodies that you WILL need later on. Problem? Too many enemies makes those things harder to get and you don't have enough time to get all of them once you are running out of options. And you get two pathetic units that come at the worst time of all.

Chapter 14x: Has a stupid gimmick whose pattern doesn't even make sense.

Chapter 16x: Has that stupid spear that comes out of nowhere. Otherwise, not bad.

Chapter 21: I'm surprised that no one mentioned this chapter because really, this is FE on steroids! 

Firstly, the map is damn huge so pacing is a huge problem. Then the next problem is the annoying reinforcements that are triggered in this game for no reason whatsoever even if you kill Gale, they still respawn and by the time you kill off Murdock, you have already made it to the goal so there's no point of enemies stopping reinforcements and lastly, the turn limit is a bit unfair considering how many respawns show up.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Chapter 21: I'm surprised that no one mentioned this chapter because really, this is FE on steroids! 

Firstly, the map is damn huge so pacing is a huge problem. Then the next problem is the annoying reinforcements that are triggered in this game for no reason whatsoever even if you kill Gale, they still respawn and by the time you kill off Murdock, you have already made it to the goal so there's no point of enemies stopping reinforcements and lastly, the turn limit is a bit unfair considering how many respawns show up.

For me, it's Ch.21 in Binding Blade. Reinforcements that spawn based on your location on the map, rather than a set turn. In addition, you have a time limit of 30 turns if you want to access the Gaiden chapter. And Ch.21 is pretty big. To top it off, the boss of that chapter, Murdock, is fairly strong.

So much for that.

Anyways chapter 21 is a chapter where your warpskip skills are tested.
You can beat this chapter really quickly if you bring Niime and Yodel and warp staves.
Rutger with armorslayer owns Murdoch in one turn. 

The major problem is ambush spawning... yes ... but these reinforcements aren't great at all statwise.
Gonzales or Dieck with axes on a peak can technically solo the dracos and paladins. Even Lugh can do it.

Funnily chapter 16 is one of my favorite indoor maps in FE because it features multiple paths and multiple tasks by seizing and keeping Douglas alive for the best ending. It's not hard to avoid him by using the sleep stave. However thanks to FE6's bad magic growths only Saul has a realistic chance to put him to sleep to avoid any trouble with him.

10 hours ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

On the other hand if you play with transfer boosts in strength and speed, Nephenne is really great. Can double pretty much everyone including Yeardley.
It's her base equipment which screws her (unboosted). Iron great lance and javelin would work best for her. 
In no other chapter and for no other character transfer boosts are as relevant as in 2-1.

Yeah but that requires using Neph in PoR, which shes not great there either. She gets shafted with bad base weapon rank and competes with mounts in a game where mounts dominate. Its a bit unfortunate.

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Chapter 14: This %$%@#%@#% chapter can go to hell!  the main problem is again a bunch of fetch quests that you have to step at specific spots that give you goodies that you WILL need later on. Problem? Too many enemies makes those things harder to get and you don't have enough time to get all of them once you are running out of options. And you get two pathetic units that come at the worst time of all

Just go for the Boots (for Roy), Silver Card and Warp Staff. Those are the only three you'll really need tbh.

Works for me, gives me more time to train Sophia.

Bruh

22 hours ago, Armagon said:

For me, it's Ch.21 in Binding Blade. Reinforcements that spawn based on your location on the map, rather than a set turn. In addition, you have a time limit of 30 turns if you want to access the Gaiden chapter. And Ch.21 is pretty big. To top it off, the boss of that chapter, Murdock, is fairly strong.

The way the paths sink is actually pretty predictable, especially compared to Night of Farewells in FE7, since it takes multiple turns for a part of the bridge to completely disappear.  On the first few turns the first section of bridge disappears one piece at a time, then it moves on to the next section of bridge and its pieces start to poof for the next few turns and so on.  It's not random, the pattern is very obvious after the first time you see it, and the only real trouble thing on the map is the Boltings.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

1 hour ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Yeah but that requires using Neph in PoR, which shes not great there either. She gets shafted with bad base weapon rank and competes with mounts in a game where mounts dominate. Its a bit unfortunate.

Honestly I prefer her in FE9 because wrath works better. 
Her earlygame isn't as bad as in 10 simply because 9 is a lot easier.
However the problem is that she's not mounted. 

1 hour ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

I must be an anomaly because she always ends up being my go to Sentinel in the Endgame.

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

I must be an anomaly because she always ends up being my go to Sentinel in the Endgame.

Her Speed cap is 34, Aran and Danved have 33. 34 + White Pool = Aura doubling; Neph can also double 4-F-3's boss and the Fire and Wind Spirits without WP. Neph is absolutely the best Sentinel choice for Endgame. But Neph is an investment, and Aran, while also an investment, pays off sooner and more valuably for the DB than Neph does for everyone else pre-4 Endgame.

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Her Speed cap is 34, Aran and Danved have 33. 34 + White Pool = Aura doubling; Neph can also double 4-F-3's boss and the Fire and Wind Spirits without WP. Neph is absolutely the best Sentinel choice for Endgame. But Neph is an investment, and Aran, while also an investment, pays off sooner and more valuably for the DB than Neph does for everyone else pre-4 Endgame.

This is why, if I decide to not use Gatrie as my main tanky spear infantry unit, I go with Aran. It helps that Gatrie is also oddly a very fast tank.

Nephenee's lack of a clear role in the chapters she shows up in really makes me not enjoy using her. I feel like I force myself to use her if I ever do. Whereas using Aran feels more natural.

Sacred Stones: Chapter 5x. Limited inventory. Pick up a treasure or a drop and expect to have to throw something away. Your characters have garbage equipment (guys, heard of iron weapons? They're cheap and useful. Try 'em). The map is needlessly windy, like something I'd expect out of FE6.

Path of Radiance: Chapter 3. Let's see... I can level two prepromos who get 1 exp per action, or an overlevelled temp, or someone who is gonna cap his level before he can promote anyway. Part of the fun of FE is getting levels for those who need it and it's impossible here. Why the heck did they take Oscar and Boyd away for this map? The fact that it's incredibly easy doesn't help its case.

Radiant Dawn: Chapter 3-7. Not the least fun chapter to play but I kinda feel directly insulted by it. It's a "survive 10 turns" map where the enemies aren't actually trying to reach you, like what's the point? Part 3 of RD suffers from a few too many Ike maps and this is the biggest offender.

New Mystery: Chapter 3. Already covered; having to walk allll the way around the map to reach the villages and then the gate is just stupid.

FE4- All of the maps, too much backtracking with nothing to do for several turns. There's also only outdoor maps too, so not much diversity.
Radiant Dawn- Chapter 2-1 can get annoying but I don't like Chapters 3-P, 3-7, and 3-E. 3-P can drag on, 3-7 feels underwhelming right after 3-6 (one of my favorites), and 3-E also drags on too much.
Conquest The chapter with the Foxes or the wind chapter because of the late-turn reinforcements paired with the wind can get annoying. I did an ironman run once and this map cause a lot of damage lol.
Fates- all first 6 chapters, before the split.

On 7/26/2017 at 4:22 PM, Armagon said:

Oh yeah, the Paralogues just have a massive spike in difficulty after Ch.18 in any path. Ignatius gave me so much trouble. Didn't help that it was Conquest. I hear if you get the hard version of Shiro's Paralouge, it's basically impossible unless you use a Rescue Staff on him.

It's like, as soon as you get promoted units as regular enemies, a Rescue Staff is mandatory because he'll aggro on them the first turn he can move and get his dumb ass insta-killed.  And given how late you usually get Ryoma, this is almost always standard unless you grind a lot.  The same goes for a lot of the Paralogues where the children are NPCs you have to keep from dying, but Shiro's predicament stands out the most.

It also doesn't help that he's so far away that the healer likely needs a move stat of 7 without being on a horse.  In other words, you gotta pair them up with a ninja/outlaw, and you also want to ORKO most the enemies that the healer puts himself/herself in range of.

Also forgot about the Kitsune chapter.  Yeah, that one wasn't fun.

Binding Blade: Chapter 20Bx: Tent guessing gimmick is the worst gimmick

Chapter 16x: Rng Arrows are stupid, otherwise solid map.

Blazing Blade/Sword: Jerme's Version of Pale Flower of Darkness, Rout in snow no thank I go with Kenneth at least he is seize (that I that is hard thing to do lol)

Path of Radiance: The stupid Bridge Map, pitfalls can die in a hole

Radiance Dawn: Okay who's incredible was it to bring back the Bridge Map fire them and shove them in a hole.

48 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

It's like, as soon as you get promoted units as regular enemies, a Rescue Staff is mandatory because he'll aggro on them the first turn he can move and get his dumb ass insta-killed.  And given how late you usually get Ryoma, this is almost always standard unless you grind a lot.  The same goes for a lot of the Paralogues where the children are NPCs you have to keep from dying, but Shiro's predicament stands out the most.

It also doesn't help that he's so far away that the healer likely needs a move stat of 7 without being on a horse.  In other words, you gotta pair them up with a ninja/outlaw, and you also want to ORKO most the enemies that the healer puts himself/herself in range of.

Also forgot about the Kitsune chapter.  Yeah, that one wasn't fun.

Speaking of, I forgot about the part where you get Ryoma somewhat late. The Paralogue conundrum is even worse in Revelation since he doesn't join until chapter 16, and you have to do that and chapter 17 back-to-back, to say nothing of the other fathers who join during that time period (Azama, Xander, Odin, Laslow, Niles, and Leo). The game basically says, "grind supports before clearing chapter 18 if you don't want to suffer".

Anyways, I'd say both 11A and 20x in Sword of Seals are just ugh - the former for everything you gotta do and the latter for reasons already explained.

Chapter 14 in Binding Blade was the worst, and not only for reasons most people stated. Actually, Sophia in that Chapter isn't the worst thing, as she at least has maximum movement, and at any rate, her appearance is justified in terms of story. Cecilia has neither of those. It also does not help that the CPU enemies cheat with omnipotent vision negating fog of war. (Even worse, this is something that hasen't been improved to allow more strategic play, unlike in Advanced Wars, where the enemy is just as affected as the player.) On a positive note, Conquest Normal doesn't seem so bad after the training from hell...

Edited by henrymidfields

The chapter in Revelations where the bad guy covers the map head-height in snow. Fire Emblem is about strategy and tactics, not shoveling snow. It doesn't help that one has very few characters at that point in the game. Most of the chapters in Revelations are pretty bad, but this one stood out.

I love most of the chapters in Path of Radiance (I'll even defend the bridge mission for the simple reason that, if one looks carefully, one can notice which tiles enemy units are deliberately avoiding), but not being able to save before the Black Knight fight is a bit of a pain, as is the five-turn limit.

Swamp maps in RD and Echoes (except maybe the swamp map with the keep).

The map in Heroes with all the breakable walls. That one is just annoying.

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

The old one (I haven't played heroes in a while, so I didn't know there was a new one).

Paralogue 9-3. If you told me more than half the tiles were breakable walls, I'd believe you.

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I have to disagree here.

Neph is paid off sooner than Aran... if Aran's even paid off in HM.

Aran joins with rather bad bases for his joining level, and his growths aren't helpful either.
Sure he has his great strength and defense growth but therefore his speed is low.
How will his good defense help him, if he still gets doubled and TROKed by enemies later on?
The enemies have up to 17 speed and >30 attack in 1-F. Aran needs to become level 18-19 to have the required speed not to get doubled. You can't increase his speed before by giving him bexp. levels because he won't have capped anything before.
And then again in HM you want to focus on few units. Jill, Zihark, Edward and Nolan will be more helpful than Aran, the more that Aran won't get a special weapon in part 3 which is a real downer for him.
Honestly I find him even less usable than Leo in HM because Leo can start to semi-shine in part 3 with Lughnasadh. If Leo hits 14 speed in first tier and gets the master seal, he can double tigers which is still better than getting doubled by cats and 2RKOed by everything in combat as it would be usually in Aran's case.

Neph has poor bases and her strength and defense growth aren't great either but she'll have capped skill, speed and resistance quickly so you can fix her weaker important stats better than Aran's. Furthermore her speed cap is the main reason why she's better in the longrun than Aran.