The Lion Throne (Fangame and Engine)

rainlash

Download

(You'll also need the Lex Talionis engine to run it. Download that here: https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lt-maker/-/jobs/artifacts/release/download?job=build_engine  then stick the lion_throne.ltproj file found above in the folder with the other .ltproj files and start the engine!)

Logo_new.thumb.png.25f60cb8e9b7c85e76eb369231d07e97.png

A fully custom and open-source Fire Emblem fangame

https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lt-maker

Discord server for the Lex Talionis engine:

https://discord.gg/dC6VWGh4sw

screenshot_compilation.png.8a7caa3f5ea1b1ed89051e661cd606f8.png

Summary

The Lion Throne has 11 chapters of innovative objectives, custom classes, a fully functioning custom skill system with activated skills, a Tellius-style base menu, area-of-effect spells, an actual difficulty curve, Xbox 360 controller support, and much more!

Journey with Ophie, Prim and the rest of the Resistance as they attempt to restore the rightful heir of the Lion Throne to her place. Their fate is in your hands.

AOE2.gif.a0200a89be48bc486606a0a58e9ce89d.gif

Both the engine and the game (while essentially complete) are still in Alpha, so you may encounter bugs. I am only one man and cannot catch 'em all. Tread carefully! If you do encounter any bugs, please send me a PM or place a comment here describing the events that led up to the bug, so I may squash it as soon as possible. The file Saves/debug.log.1 will have the most recent error in it. Please send that as well if you can. Thank you!

Edited by rainlash
Updating game download link

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seem to have found a problemo, when you try and reset the keys to what you want, (ex. clicking A to go from X to A) crashes the game, I've tried it numberous of times and everytime i change a key it crashes and does not save. But so far it looks amazing

Joel's tutorial crashes the game just fyi

EDIT: Now it doesn't. But, you can't use stat boosters and the like at base :/

Edited by N30

I think I found another problem, the game crashed when I tried to steal a Sandblast tome from a mage on chapter V. Also, as it was said before, trying to use stat boosting itens on base crashes the game too

Edited by DemonStryker

2 hours ago, Renais said:

I have seem to have found a problemo, when you try and reset the keys to what you want, (ex. clicking A to go from X to A) crashes the game, I've tried it numberous of times and everytime i change a key it crashes and does not save. But so far it looks amazing

2 hours ago, N30 said:

Joel's tutorial crashes the game just fyi

EDIT: Now it doesn't. But, you can't use stat boosters and the like at base :/

22 minutes ago, DemonStryker said:

I think I found another problem, the game crashed when I tried to steal a Sandblast tome from a mage on chapter V. Also, as it was said before, trying to use stat boosting itens on base crashes the game too

These should be fixed. Thank you!

Except I could not figure out how Joel's tutorial managed to crash the game. If anyone else encounters this problem, please let me know.

To use the fixed executable with your current saves, download the new executable (the Download button above always has the latest build). Now, just move the entire Saves folder in the main directory of the old executable to the new executable's location. Essentially, overwrite the new executable's empty Saves folder with your Saves folder. Your current saves should appear when you fire up the new executable. You can delete the old files now if you want.

Edited by rainlash

10 hours ago, KamenWriter said:

Huh. Neat.

How long have you been working on this?

Too long.

For real though, like 3 years. I learned how to code in Python writing this engine, and there were a lot of starts and stops. Originally the game was a much bigger project (like 20+ chapters). This version of the game though has only been worked on since last summer.

So, I'm playing the game and I'm currently at chapter 6 now and I must say, Hybrid mode is being very nice to me. One thing that I liked is the difficulty of the game, I think there's quite a lot of challenge in the chapters I played ( Looking at you, chapter of the caravans, 4, I think. ). Quite a good work you did with the game :D 

Edited by DemonStryker

Turns out this hack works with WINE.

I'll have to let you know how this plays in Ubuntu eventually (it opened and ran fine so far). For now, know that the engine stuff is going to be really interesting in the long run.

This is really amazing! I have been enjoying this game and really love what you did with is, especially the new Heal/Magic System :)

Some Crash Reports:

1 - It once crashed when i suspended then tried to reload another save file. Alot of stuff happened in the ''other'' Window that i sadly couldn't catch. I still could reload the save file upon restarting the game.

2 - When i was moving through the Stat Windows very fast it crashed once.

A Small suggestion: 

Since some Music (Resolve, Stalwarts unite) don't seem to loop, maybe add a longer version instead of the 5 min. Versions you have in the Music folder?

I also have some very very minor Python experience, let's see if i can do anything

Edited by Shrimperor

Long time Serenes Forest lurker here brought out by this amazing game, absolutely love the mechanics changes. I'm only about halfway through the game so I wanted to hold off until I beat it before commenting on it, but I discovered an error and figured the sooner you were informed the better.

This occured when I pressed the "Info" button on the menu with Objective / Options / Suspend / End.

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "Main.py", line 108, in <module>
    File "Main.py", line 50, in main
    File "Main.py", line 68, in run
    File "Code\StateMachine.py", line 189, in update
        mapSurf = self.state[-1].draw(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
    File "Code\StateMachine.py", line 530, in draw
        gameStateObj.activeMenu.drawInfo(mapSurf)
    File "Code\MenuFunctions.py", line 600, in drawInfo
        help_box = InfoMenu.create_help_box(self.info_desc[self.currentSelection])
NameError: global name 'InfoMenu' is not defined
Failed to execute script Main

Shrimperor, something that can help rainlash is figuring out how to reliably recreate the error. If you time it right, you can also prepare for the crash and get a print screen to catch the details before the console window disappears (how I got the above error log) which is even better.

Also, for anyone having problems with Chapter 4, through trial and error I ended up working out a fairly reliable way to 100% the level.

Spoiler

Give Renae the Mana Ring, get the Levin Sword from the Olphie/Sam conversation, and give Renae the Levin Sword. She immediately goes from laughably weak to a great combat unit (for Chapter 4, at the very least, still need to beat the game to see if she remains great throughout), being capable of ORKOing 2 common enemy types in Chapter 4 from a safe distance making thing much easier. She's a great user of the sword anyway due to her speed, borderline Mage-like Magic growth (60), and almost horse-like mobility.

Arrange your units' starting positions with Nia, Theo, and Althea in the bottom left side of the diamond, Olphie and Joel in the top left, Drake as close to the ruins as possible. Nia, Theo and Althea are your South team, while the other 6 are your North team. Althea and Eliza are used as primarily Caravan killers on their respective road.

Turn 1: All North Team units head straight for the North road caravan spawn. Drake goes for the ruins at the start and grabs the Wyrmfire and heads to join up with the rest of North Team. The next is executed in order: Nia heads south for the woods to the right of the cliffside. Theo shoves her closer to the woods. Althea moves into the spot Nia was.

Turn 2: North team keeps charging into the North caravan spawn point. Remember that Renae can safely ORKO the Cavaliers and most of the high damage axe baddies, exploit that as much as you can. Eliza won't be able to do much at first, just have her focus on taking out the Caravans and drawing an attack or two from the axe baddies unless you really need to finish something off (try to make sure she can still chase down any caravans afterwards though). South team makes for the woods with Theo occupying the north-most tree, Nia heading for the northwest part of the cliff and Althea safely behind Theo.

Turn 3: The southern Cavalier should charge towards the North team, no problem as North team is stacked. Nia takes up a position at the northwest edge of the cliff and starts pelting the enemies there. Ideally she should target those she can ORKO, preferably the archer if she can do so. Theo heads for the second ruins to pick up the Mithril Mail. Althea heads back onto the main road, waiting directly below the start point to pick off Caravans.

From there: Theo picks up the Mithril Mail, then prepares to be a meatshield for Nia when the boss goes after her. On one of the turns, (turn 4 I think?) the enemy boss spawns, and Nia needs to be outside of his 2 attack range so he heads for the southern pass to get up the cliff so Theo can block him. Just keep hitting him with arrows and play defensively with Theo (make sure he has Vulneraries/Potions). The rest of the south squad of baddies should either get stuck at the cliffs trying to get at Nia/Theo or go after the North team, so Althea should be fine by herself roasting Caravans. North squad keeps trashing the North baddies until the final Caravan is defeated (the final caravans spawn 2 cavaliers), then works their way south to help deal with the buildup of baddies Nia hasn't taken out yet. Assuming all goes well, you'll have everyone alive, 12/12 caravans looted, and every enemy dead for some juicy EXP. If you did what I did and gave Renae the Levin Sword + Mana Ring, she should also have gotten enough EXP to gain her stealing ability by the end of Chapter 4, which you can use at the start of Chapter 5 from an enemy mage to nab a really fun spell for Althea (Sandblast, an AoE blinding spell).

Now, my Nia got quite a bit of EXP and good levelups, so I don't know if this strategy still works with something closer to low level/RNG screwed Nia.

20 hours ago, Enigami said:

This occured when I pressed the "Info" button on the menu with Objective / Options / Suspend / End.

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "Main.py", line 108, in <module>
    File "Main.py", line 50, in main
    File "Main.py", line 68, in run
    File "Code\StateMachine.py", line 189, in update
        mapSurf = self.state[-1].draw(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
    File "Code\StateMachine.py", line 530, in draw
        gameStateObj.activeMenu.drawInfo(mapSurf)
    File "Code\MenuFunctions.py", line 600, in drawInfo
        help_box = InfoMenu.create_help_box(self.info_desc[self.currentSelection])
NameError: global name 'InfoMenu' is not defined
Failed to execute script Main

Fixed. Thanks for the report!

Enigami, glad to hear you like the game. It's always interesting to see how others approach these maps. For instance, even though I've played through Chapter 4 nearly 20 times at this point, my normal strategy for Chapter 4 is very different than yours. However, I think yours is actually better. I don't always 100% the level.

For anyone who's played through Chapter 4 (the Chapter with the caravans), do you feel that it is at an appropriate level of challenge? One of my goals for this game was to have an actual difficulty curve, where later levels are more difficult and/or more complex than earlier levels. But, is Chapter 4 too much of a jump in difficulty from Chapter 3?

I just started playing this and I'm having a lot of fun.

However, I'm currently on my 3rd attempt of Chapter 4, and compared to Chapter 3, I feel like it is a bit of a jump in difficulty. I think instead of reinforcements every turn in should be like 2 turns or you should reduce the amount of caravans from 12 to maybe 9 or 10. Another suggestion is maybe make it so the mages appear at the end rather than the second wave (I believe this is when they appear).

But other than that, I really enjoyed the game thus far. I enjoy the premise of the story and chapter 3 was really fun (Minus the anxiety I got from the boss showing up XD).

3 hours ago, rainlash said:

But, is Chapter 4 too much of a jump in difficulty from Chapter 3?

I don't think so really. While Chapter 4 was challenging, yes, it wasn't really unfair or much much more harder then Chapter 3.

What i think should be changed however in this chapter is that the victory condition should trigger after the 12th Wagon is destroyed, and not wait until the Enemy Phase ends to trigger Victory condition (or is this a bug?)

Edited by Shrimperor

What i think should be changed however in this chapter is that the victory condition should trigger after the 12th Wagon is destroyed, and not wait until the Enemy Phase ends to trigger Victory condition

I would like this too, before I worked out my strategy on beating it I at one point almost won, but then played recklessly to kill the last caravans hoping that the game worked this way and instead the Enemy Phase happened and 2 of my units died (meant a restart since I want to keep all of them alive)

For player convenience, maybe have it trigger at the end of the Player Phase and not immediately after killing the last caravan? That way for example if you happened to kill the last Caravan and there were still enemies to kill for EXP or ruins that one of your units were in range of, you still have the rest of the Player Phase to try and get what you can.