The Lion Throne (Fangame and Engine)

rainlash

6 hours ago, Enigami said:

I would like this too, before I worked out my strategy on beating it I at one point almost won, but then played recklessly to kill the last caravans hoping that the game worked this way and instead the Enemy Phase happened and 2 of my units died (meant a restart since I want to keep all of them alive)

I lost my Ophie on a try XD even tough i wanted to reset anyway because i lost MVPNia the turn before

maybe have it trigger at the end of the Player Phase and not immediately after killing the last caravan? That way for example if you happened to kill the last Caravan and there were still enemies to kill for EXP or ruins that one of your units were in range of, you still have the rest of the Player Phase to try and get what you can.

That will be too much of an advantage for the player imo.

BTW, i just read your Tactic for the Wagon and chapter and

Even tough i also used Thiefy + Levin sword, i didn't give her the mana Ring, as she could still double and kill stuff without it. I put her on the ruins at the south to get the Mithril Mail from there and let her Zap stuff from above. Also Nia was in the Middle in the trees Attacking North or south when needed.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I just finished the game. It was beautiful. Everything from the music choice, to the maps, to the fluid leveling and solid difficulty curve made playing it a great experience. The gameplay was just so damn smooth. Thank you for making this.

Nia OP

• 4 months later...

Even with only the field animations this game seems to be a blast ! 

Although for now I'm stuck with what seems to be a nasty bug : at the end of the first chapter, when the last soldier unit drops its vulnerary, the game instantly crash. Don't have the time to screenshot the debug screen, it closes in less than a second. Repeated the try twice, always the same result and it starts back at the prep menu.

:Santhos:It's a Christmas Miracle!:Santhos:

Version 0.7 of The Lion Throne is out now. The OP has been updated with the download link. Also, you can download it here

Full Combat Animations

CombatAnimationsOphie.gif.4a86fecd9e0e9055e3f9850d50fb1982.gif

It's a long time coming folks, but Full Combat Animations are now supported!

Full Combat Animations took up the bulk of my time on this project, but there are other improvements as well. If you care, they can be found in the spoiler tags below.

Major Feature Updates:

Full Combat Animations:

• Animation option in the Options Menu now works (can change between Always, Your Turn, Combat Only, and Never for Full Animations).
  • You can press whatever your AUX key is mapped to (default: a) to toggle Full Animation.
  • You can press whatever your START key is mapped to (default: s) to speed up Full Animation.
  • Missing several animations:
Spoiler

Spell Animations:
Restore
Evil Eye
Shadowshot
Demon Surge

Unit Animations:
Female Soldier
Male Halberdier (Lance and Axe)
Female Halberdier (Lance and Axe)
Skirmisher (Lance)
Sentinel (Axe)

Better debugging information:

• Game now pauses for 20 seconds after crashing. Take a screenshot!
  • Detailed error logs are output to the terminal and saved in  debug.log.1.

Unit Menu (relatively untested since I never use it) (but its there)

UnitMenu.png.725b5b4f53d2c99a2cf304e1837bb1db.png

Promotion Animations

• Also added in promotion choices (so you can select between two different options a la Sacred Stones). This is not utilized by The Lion Throne
Spoiler

Gameplay Balancing

• Chapters 3 and 4 have been made easier. Playtesting revealed the difficulty jump between Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 was too harsh.
  • Chapters 5, 7, 8, and 9 have also been made slightly easier.
  • The Final Boss has been nerfed. Dealing with him if you were unprepared was essentially impossible. This makes it slightly possible.
  • In general, many items have been removed. 
    • Iron Knife, Steel Knife, Mithril Knife, Oak Longbow, Yew Longbow, Practice Blade, Lancereaver, Axereaver, Swordreaver, Earth Ward, Water Ward
  • Some items have been added or changed dramatically.
    • Thunder Ward, Gustblade, Flareblade, Boltblade, Rapier, Great Bow
  • Small changes to many classes' growths, bases, caps, and promotion gains.
  • Small changes to item weights.
  • Can no longer rescue mounted units.
  • Mounted units can no longer walk on pillars.

A few caveats before you venture forth:

• As always, I am only one man and cannot find every bug in this behemoth of a codebase. Even while finishing testing I was still finding bugs here and there. So if you encounter a bug, please send me a PM or comment here. Also attach your Saves/debug.log.1 if you can, since it has useful information that will help me find the bug and squash it.
  • You cannot use the saves you have from previous versions. It will break. Don't do it. You must start a new game. Really.

What's Next?

I plan to write a tutorial on how to create your own custom scenarios and fangames using the Lex Talionis engine. Accompanying this will be a graphical Level Editor to make developing individual chapters easy and fluid.

Also, if anyone has any Android development experience and owns an Android device, I would be interested in talking to them about porting this to Android. PM me. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, SimSimma said:

Cool game you've got here. I've been enjoying playing it. I've come across an bug however. I'm on chapter 7 and the game is crashing when Althea promotes.

Here's the error log.

Fixed. The fix has been uploaded to the Dropbox! Thank you!

Just download the new version and move your Saves folder from the old one to the new one. After you've confirmed that you've moved the Saves folder (try loading your save in the new version), you can delete the old version.

If you prefer not to switch to the new version right away, in the old version, the bug only occurs when you promote a unit using a magic weapon after a combat with Animation turned on. So you can turn off animations until everyone promotes, or you can remember to toggle all animations when a unit is nearing promotion. You can hold AUX (defaults to A key) before combat starts to toggle animation.

Do you have a file with the growth rates? I'm really enjoying it so far. What are your future plans for it? I love the challenge and mechanics. The AOE spells and the fly tome are so awesome. Who is your favorite or who are your favorites from the characters you made?

Edited by Rewind

On 1/17/2018 at 4:43 AM, Rewind said:

Do you have a file with the growth rates? I'm really enjoying it so far. What are your future plans for it? I love the challenge and mechanics. The AOE spells and the fly tome are so awesome. Who is your favorite or who are your favorites from the characters you made?

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

You can find the growth rates for all your units by pressing the SELECT button (default: X) on the R-button Info Menu.

GrowthsDisplay.png.562fa1e01047e02b15d08c00836e093b.png

Choosing a favorite character is difficult -- each is special in their own way. A lot of people have told me they like Nia, both mechanically and aesthetically.

My major future plans are:

• To finish writing and testing the level editor.
  • Write a tutorial on how to develop your own levels and game using the Lex Talionis Engine.
  • Get the Engine running on an Android device. I've managed to get it to show up on an Android Emulator, but it ran slow on the emulator and I don't have an Android to test on.
Spoiler

Preview

LevelEditor1.png.cbd084652ebf6427226a7b6bb5cbba61.png

Cool thanks for getting back to me so fast. That's a really neat feature. I love the pressure the never ending reinforcements on some chapters that forces me to push forward faster. Do you have a list of all the items in the chests and how many searchable ruins are there? I think I missed a couple due to having to rush and not noticing them sometimes.

On 1/18/2018 at 9:37 PM, Rewind said:

Cool thanks for getting back to me so fast. That's a really neat feature. I love the pressure the never ending reinforcements on some chapters that forces me to push forward faster. Do you have a list of all the items in the chests and how many searchable ruins are there? I think I missed a couple due to having to rush and not noticing them sometimes.

Here's a link to the simple text file I used to keep track of every item that the player gets in the game. You can just CTRL-F for "Ruin" or "Chest" to find what you are looking for.

https://github.com/rainlash/lex-talionis/blob/master/Utilities/Info/ItemDrops.txt

I just beat it. The challenge was awesome, those last 2-3 levels really tore me a new one. I couldn't come out of the last one without a casualty. Sure wish I had more stuns and sandblasts on me. The sewers really punished me. Renae, Drake, Nia and Eliza wound up really great for me. I'll play through it again; I want to torture my friends and my brother with it. Thanks again for making it; the difficulty really kept me on my toes. I never thought I'd love using a magic based thief.

Thanks for that file; it helped a lot. I'm just glad in the rainy chapter that I didn't really miss on something I needed or wanted near the paladin reinforcement store. Hex, stun and the magebane items were amazing.

I just finished beating the game and I must say, it's a great game, I loved it from start to finish and even though difficulty is very high, I did very well, thankfully without losing any unit in any chapter. I losed two itens in house ruins, but nothing that I needed. Didn't abuse the area spells to beat it. Finished last chapter in 5 turns, killing Ulver with the Critical skill on Ophie and Nia, only needed to use the skill with Brave weapons and boom, 4 hits did it, two from each character. Best units for me: Nia, Althea, Renae(Magic Thief), Kayla, Ophie and beast Eliza, omg, turned out so amazing for me, a beast.

On 1/24/2018 at 2:16 AM, DemonStryker said:

I just finished beating the game and I must say, it's a great game, I loved it from start to finish and even though difficulty is very high, I did very well, thankfully without losing any unit in any chapter. I losed two itens in house ruins, but nothing that I needed. Didn't abuse the area spells to beat it. Finished last chapter in 5 turns, killing Ulver with the Critical skill on Ophie and Nia, only needed to use the skill with Brave weapons and boom, 4 hits did it, two from each character. Best units for me: Nia, Althea, Renae(Magic Thief), Kayla, Ophie and beast Eliza, omg, turned out so amazing for me, a beast.

What stats did your best units end up with, mind sharing screenshots Demon?

On 1/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, PowerOfKaishin said:

Can't seem to turn on the game. I apologize if I missed the solution for this. This Debug window pops up for all of one second but I froze it long enough to get a screencap.

This and several other bugs not mentioned here have been fixed in the latest update (v0.7.3). Thanks to everyone who's reported bugs!

3 hours ago, Rewind said:

What stats did your best units end up with, mind sharing screenshots Demon?

Oh, I wished so much to share them, but I didn't take any when beating Ulver and I saved Epilogue over my Final Chapter save, so there's no way to see their stats, sorry for that :/ 

Finally got around to start the new Version. As fun as i remember it being :D I also noticed it runs smoother now!
Just a very tiny complaint

7PPzvIV.png

Why is it that fast for Unit Speed and Cursor Speed is on the right, and Text Speed on the left? It isn't anything major, but it was a bit confusing when setting up the options^^

Edited by Shrimperor