The Lion Throne (Fangame and Engine)

rainlash

Very gorgeous work

I'll loved to make my own FE fangame by adding new item,mechanic,etc...by aspiring FE games and FE warriors

I need tips from you and expert, i'm still a noob about game programing and conception :(

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the problem is that Axe_006 and Axe_007 are not the correct size, which confuses the fe_repo_to_lex, but I am not certain. Make sure that you are using the most up to date animations from Klok's Animation Repo. For convenience sake, I have formatted the Journeyman animation for you to the best of my ability. I hope that it helps.

Journeyman.zip

Hello again, hope everyone's had a nice holiday! I've been making progress bit by bit, just whenever I've got an hour or two. I've got a question about the engine's capabilities, if you've got the time 

Would it be possible to implement a Farina/Rennac-style talk conversation, where a character can be recruited for a certain price? Maybe if I coded in a command prompt, that popped up if you had the right amount of gold or..? I think it would be cool to have a couple mercenary characters in my game, but I'm kind of at a loss as to how I would actually make that possible. 

Thanks in advance! 

3 hours ago, hasek said:

Hello again, hope everyone's had a nice holiday! I've been making progress bit by bit, just whenever I've got an hour or two. I've got a question about the engine's capabilities, if you've got the time 

Would it be possible to implement a Farina/Rennac-style talk conversation, where a character can be recruited for a certain price? Maybe if I coded in a command prompt, that popped up if you had the right amount of gold or..? I think it would be cool to have a couple mercenary characters in my game, but I'm kind of at a loss as to how I would actually make that possible. 

Thanks in advance! 

There is a "choice" command in the Engine -- added recently I think, so make sure you've got a version like 0.8.4+.

Spoiler

choice;title;header;options

title: The name of this choice. The option the player picks will be saved under this name in gameStateObj.game_constants.

header: Text to display at the top of the dialog box.

options: Comma-delimited list of options the player has to choose from.

Example: choice;SaveEmmeryn;Try to save Emmeryn?;Yes,No,Smash

You could do something like:

u;Renae;Left
s;Renae;If you give me 10000 gold, I'll join your quest!
if;gameStateObj.game_constants['money'] >= 10000
    choice;recruit_renae;Give Renae 10000 gold?;Yes,No
    if;gameStateObj.game_constants['recruit_renae'] == 'Yes'
        # Renae joins your team
        convert;Renae;player
        inc_game_constant;money;-10000
        s;Renae;This is the beginning of a very lucrative relationship!
    else
        s;Renae;Hmmph! Your loss!
    end
else
    s;Renae;What! You don't have 10000 gold? Then, goodbye!
end
r;Renae

Recruit1.png.b4293aaa0880b9e6ffc493832998a087.png

I confirmed that this works in my current debug version of the Engine. Try it out on your end.

Edited by rainlash

This is really cool.

I know nothing about programming but I was wondering: do you plan on making character/class/etc. editors in the same vein as the level editor? The latter is just so well made and easy to understand that the jump from that to editing a(n) .xml for everything else comes off as strange to me. 

Seriously the level editor is so good. I especially like how maps can be uploaded as simple images with the terrain added separately. That might seem like an extra step for some people but I think it opens up a lot of possibilities. For example, one could splice maps together instead of creating them tile-by-tile, which is helpful for creating peaks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rather excited, I'm only one chapter and an epilogue away from finishing my game.  That said, I found a few more things:

- Slightly weird things happen if a unit using the Escape command is not removed from the map.
- If during preps you pick characters different from the chapter start's initial group, hovering over their spots while changing formation will still show the old characters (even if the spot is empty).  This seems only cosmetic as the R info displays the correct character, and swapping units around corrects the displayed characters.
- This is a little more severe.  I'm having problems with a player warlock's Hex aura during preparations:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "main.py", line 117, in <module>
  File "main.py", line 45, in main
  File "main.py", line 63, in run
  File "Code\StateMachine.py", line 199, in update
    update_output = self.state[-1].update(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
  File "Code\PrepBase.py", line 239, in update
    gameStateObj.highlight_manager.handle_hover(gameStateObj)
  File "Code\CustomObjects.py", line 124, in handle_hover
    cur_hover.add_aura_highlights(gameStateObj)
  File "Code\UnitObject.py", line 1977, in add_aura_highlights
    positions = gameStateObj.grid_manager.get_aura_positions(status.aura)
  File "Code\fast_pathfinding.pyx", line 106, in Code.fast_pathfinding.Grid_Manager.get_aura_positions (fast_pathfinding.c:4078)
    return self.known_auras[aura]
KeyError: <Code.ActiveSkill.Aura object at 0x00000000156DE048>

He wasn't in the starting group when the chapter started and I had to pick him in.  The error happened when I hovered over him, when I tried to save from the prep screen, and even when starting the chapter.  I'm not sure why this is happening, I've played through a couple of previous chapters with him with no problems (granted, there were no prep screens there), and it never happened to me with Kayla in The Lion Throne.  I circumvented it for now by not deploying him, which slightly bites as he was my overall MVP.

And lastly, I have another suggestion.  A new type of weather: Fire.  For those maps that take place in lava caves, and cutscenes where arsonists or dragons burn down the place.

Edit: I tried to make a status that immobilized a unit (MOV -99) so that they won't have any movement range displayed.  It's supposed to go on HardGuarding enemy units, but apparently having -99 MOV also somehow makes those enemies not attack even if anyone's in their attack range.  I guess that's how Stun works.  It's not too big a deal, but I still want HardGuarding enemies to have 0 displayed MOV and that can only be done on enemy bosses but not specific generics.

Edited by Baby Bonnie Hood

23 hours ago, Baby Bonnie Hood said:

I'm rather excited, I'm only one chapter and an epilogue away from finishing my game.  That said, I found a few more things:

- Slightly weird things happen if a unit using the Escape command is not removed from the map.
- If during preps you pick characters different from the chapter start's initial group, hovering over their spots while changing formation will still show the old characters (even if the spot is empty).  This seems only cosmetic as the R info displays the correct character, and swapping units around corrects the displayed characters.
- This is a little more severe.  I'm having problems with a player warlock's Hex aura during preparations:

That's awesome! I definitely want to try your game when you feel its polished and ready.

23 hours ago, Baby Bonnie Hood said:

And lastly, I have another suggestion.  A new type of weather: Fire.  For those maps that take place in lava caves, and cutscenes where arsonists or dragons burn down the place.

Edit: I tried to make a status that immobilized a unit (MOV -99) so that they won't have any movement range displayed.  It's supposed to go on HardGuarding enemy units, but apparently having -99 MOV also somehow makes those enemies not attack even if anyone's in their attack range.  I guess that's how Stun works.  It's not too big a deal, but I still want HardGuarding enemies to have 0 displayed MOV and that can only be done on enemy bosses but not specific generics.

I have a new version (0.8.8) of the Engine built and in the usual place.

What's New:

1. The prep screen bug and warlock Hex aura bug above are actually the same bug. This version should fix the bug.
  2. Units now automatically end their turn correctly when they Escape or Seize (no canto), so it should get rid of the weird effect of having a unit selected while in the "free" state.
  3. You can now play sounds during cutscenes using the "sound" command. For instance: "sound;Legendary Weapon" will play the Legendary Weapon sound on command once. It will not loop. The Engine looks for the sounds in the "Audio/sfx/" folder.
  4. I've added support for Fire weather to the Engine. The Level Editor has not been updated to support this, so you'll have to modify the "overview.txt" file manually. If there is no "weather" line in the "overview.txt" for the level, add a line like this one: "weather;Fire". Otherwise, modify the "weather" line. These manual changes will probably be overwritten if you then open the level editor for the level, so do this last.
  5. I've made it so all stats cannot go negative. The AI looks in a certain range around it for available attacks which is based off a summation of both weapon range and movement range. The -99 movement was overpowering the +1 or +2 look from weapon range. I just decided to make it so that all stats cannot go below 0. Hopefully this doesn't screw anything up.

The trigger bugs still haven't been fixed. I am still in the process of testing the newest major release, since there are a lot of new features that have significantly changed the Engine innards.

2 hours ago, rainlash said:

That's awesome! I definitely want to try your game when you feel its polished and ready.

Neat.  After finishing up, then updating, adding the sounds, and doing one last full test, I was thinking of releasing the game.  But maybe it'll be a better idea if I send it to you first.  I'll let you know when it's all done.

8 hours ago, rainlash said:

I have a new version (0.8.8) of the Engine built and in the usual place.

Nice, I'll be using this right away. I've been using 0.3 for too long, haha. It's great that cutscene sounds have been implemented.

I don't know if this has been changed, but is it still possible for thieves to pick chests at adjacent range? If so, could we have access to change this?

• 4 weeks later...

Version (0.8.9) of the Engine is out now. You can find it in the usual place. This is a small bug-fix update, so if everything is going well on your end, there is no pressing need to upgrade.

I've played through BBHood217's The Raymond Chronicles, a complete game made using the Lex Talionis Engine. It's very impressive, and I'm proud someone else was able to use the Engine to create their own work! Check it out if you get the chance.

What's New:

Spoiler
  1. The fe_repo_to_lex.exe has been updated. It should now automatically convert nearly every animation you can find in the Animation Directory, except Dragonstone animations. I'm still working on those.
  2. Better sounds for unit movement. If you want movement sounds, re-download the Audio/sfx/ folder from the Dropbox.
  3. AI view range is now fully customizable. If you've taken a peak at Data/ai_presets.txt, you'd be familiar with the view range parameter. It can now be set to any integer to control exactly how far away you want an AI's secondary AI to look.
  4. The set_expression command now works slightly differently. You can find out more on the wiki. The old way of using it still works, but is now considered deprecated.
  5. Can now have more than 6 base conversations and not have the conversation selection menu go off the screen.
  6. Automatic charge (like for Metamagic) is no longer carried between levels.
  7. Help Boxes for skills outside of the Info Menu now display correctly
  8. Warning markers now only show up when a player character is selected.
  9. Weapons without a type should now work.

Outstanding Bugs:

Spoiler

I still haven't figured out why casual mode sometimes has dead units not come back for the next chapter. If they die in Chapter 0, sometimes they skip Chapter 1 and only show up again in Chapter 2. If anyone has any leads or can reproduce this bug, please contact me.

Coming Soon

Spoiler

I've been working on the major 0.9.0 update for a while because it required a complete restructuring of the Engine to support the big change in this update -- A working Turnwheel, which will allow the player to re-do their actions if they so desire. It should work exactly the Turnwheel from Echoes. I'm hoping to release this soon, perhaps in a couple of months. Other changes in the upcoming update include:

1. Better support for having multiple parties, each with their own convoy and money.
  2. Support for submaps within chapters, so you can have different actual maps show up during the intro and outro scripts and move units around, engage in combat, etc on the maps.
  3. Fully customizable combat equations (if you want damage to be based off SKL instead of STR, well now's your chance)
  4. Supports
  5. Lots of other small changes -- I've been trying to add in every feature found in the Sacred Stones (so things like Hammerne staff, Berserk staff, Ballistas, MAG/2 Weapon range, etc.)

In the far far future:

1. Overworld (already halfway done)
  2. Fog of War
  3. Dialogue Editor
  4. Game Editor
  5. Unify Level, Dialogue, and Game Editor into one Campaign Editor

Also, if anyone has a list of the conversions from Fire Emblem battle animation commands codes (like C5C) to actual sound along with the ripped sounds themselves for the FE8 exclusive sounds, please PM me. I'm missing all the combat sounds for FE8 and would like to rectify this. Thanks!

Hey man, really cool engine. I might look into it a bit more, if not just out of curiosity.

Is there more you plan to add to section 22 of the tutorial though? I was trying to look for tilechanges, and it took me a good while to realize it wasn't called tilechanges at all.

Edited by Pikmin1211

4 hours ago, Razzle Dazzle said:

Is the GitHub down? I can't get to it and I wan't to read the tutorial for the Level Editor :unsure:

Yeah, the Github account was flagged for some reason, which hides it from public view. Who knew it'd be so easy to get a free private Github repo...

Anyway, I've moved the repo and the tutorial over to Gitlab instead. 

The new public link to the repo is here: https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis

You can read the tutorial here: https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis/wikis/home

7 hours ago, rainlash said:

Yeah, the Github account was flagged for some reason, which hides it from public view. Who knew it'd be so easy to get a free private Github repo...

Anyway, I've moved the repo and the tutorial over to Gitlab instead. 

The new public link to the repo is here: https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis

You can read the tutorial here: https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis/wikis/home

Awesome! Thanks a bunch

Does anyone know how to use Lex Talionis? wonder because I downloaded all the stuff I've needed to make it but I'm currently stuck on the installing part where I already cloned it and ready to type it out by Main.py but it doesn't shows it or it doesn't exists on Git. or Maybe I must have of miss a part or something.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/7/2017 at 9:59 PM, rainlash said:

Download (Windows v0.8.9)

(un-zip and then double-click lion_throne.exe file)

Logo_new.thumb.png.25f60cb8e9b7c85e76eb369231d07e97.png

A fully custom and open-source Fire Emblem fangame

https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis

screenshot_compilation.png.8a7caa3f5ea1b1ed89051e661cd606f8.png

Summary

The Lion Throne has 11 chapters of innovative objectives, custom classes, a fully functioning custom skill system with activated skills, a Tellius-style base menu, area-of-effect spells, an actual difficulty curve, Xbox 360 controller support, and much more!

Journey with Ophie, Prim and the rest of the Resistance as they attempt to restore the rightful heir of the Lion Throne to her place. Their fate is in your hands.

AOE2.gif.a0200a89be48bc486606a0a58e9ce89d.gif

Both the engine and the game (while essentially complete) are still in Alpha, so you may encounter bugs. I am only one man and cannot catch 'em all. Tread carefully! If you do encounter any bugs, please send me a PM or place a comment here describing the events that led up to the bug, so I may squash it as soon as possible. The file Saves/debug.log.1 will have the most recent error in it. Please send that as well if you can. Thank you!

Hey man can I use your engine for a personal project!?

1 hour ago, axelloid said:

Hey man can I use your engine for a personal project!?

Yep! You don't have to ask for my permission to use the engine for whatever. The engine is free to use for anyone. You just have to credit me if you use it. 

41 minutes ago, rainlash said:

Yep! You don't have to ask for my permission to use the engine for whatever. The engine is free to use for anyone. You just have to credit me if you use it. 

Perfect, thanks man

6 hours ago, rainlash said:

Hey man, I'm getting an error when starting the level editor (I may say that I did the tutorial, everything fine and started my project, deleting classes, items and units, etc) but last thing I did was the Sacred Stones map and now the console says something about an incorrect sRGB and then shows something else but before I can do or see anything it closes and closes all the level editor windows

Edited by axelloid
Grammer mistakes xD

2 hours ago, Chaz said:

I do not see a suspend button anywhere. The only way i know how to stop mid battle, is to close the program.

There is no suspend button available while in a tutorial section (which is the prologue chapter and the first part of Chapter 1). This is unfortunately necessary to prevent weird sequence breaks in the tutorial. If you want to end the tutorial early so you can suspend, you can turn off "Display Hints" in the options menu.