Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach poll!  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

God I have gotten the worst situations ever when ever I try to battle on team Leo. I was stuck having to fight a Bridal Cordelia with L&D3 with my +Spd Nino, Faye with no SI, and a Katarina with no SI but +Spd. I couldn't even reach Bridal Cordelia with Nino for the attack so I was forced to drag Katarina and Faye, none of whom could tank Bridal C's damage. I ended up losing because of those awful units, and awful map placement.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

but it just shouldn't be called a Voting Gauntlet. They should change the name to Battle Gauntlet instead.

Yeah, I rather agree with this, as you're not even really voting anyway, with or without a multiplier. It's all battles.

@Johann True, there is a good bit of focus on Frederick's pebbles, huh? The Awakening DLC in Fates had him give you one, he mentions pebbles in Heroes, then Summer Freddy is a nod to his pebble habit, and Lissa teases him about his pebble habit in Warriors if she defeats him.

...That is a bit much. Come on, there's more to Freddy than just pebbles, people. xP Tease at his fitness obsession, his love of campfires, or his hatred of bear meat! SOMETHING besides pebbles.

Edited by Anacybele

13 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

For my part I still don't like it it all, but I've railed against it in the past several times already so I'll just leave it at that. IS apparently is content with how it is though since they made no tweaks to it this time. I'm just waiting for it to screw over the most popular team in a given gauntlet just for the outcry and salt that is guaranteed to follow. At that point, IS may have no choice but to dial it back if not remove it entirely.

3 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

I wouldn't say unfair. It's just stupid. It completely contradicts the purpose of the voting gauntlet. Even though there hasn't been a major upset yet, it will definitely happen eventually. Pris almost won the last gauntlet because of it and Robin most likely would have won against Tharja with the current system.

It also totally screws over the total ranking of people on the most popular teams. The entire Top 1000 is going to be people who started on Team Elise. Elise has gotten 8 bonus hours already and will probably finish with 10, maybe 11, of them.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the voting gauntlet for what it is. The multiplier makes it fun to predict and plan for maximum score gains, but it just shouldn't be called a Voting Gauntlet. They should change the name to Battle Gauntlet instead. If it were simply called Battle Gauntlet, I would actually look forward to an upset.

I only understand how unfair it is now. It really does defeat the purpose of voting.

I have no idea if Tiki is doing well or not because of the multiplier.

I guess what I'm mostly disappointed is that we won't really have recreation of Chrom VS Emphraim again unless someone is willing to do the math.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So you'd rather have every gauntlet be a bunch of curbstomps with no excitement? Honestly, the first two were awful because there were obvious winners and landslide wins. It's no fun that way.

Sure, you could just "put popular characters with popular characters" and "unpopular characters with unpopular characters" but at the end of the day, even with popular characters, winners are obvious a lot.

The multiplier makes things more fun.

While it is true that I'd rather have it not be there at all, what I was getting at here is that, with how receptive IS has been to criticism towards this game, they would more than likely make the appropriate adjustments to the Voting Gauntlet if they receive enough backlash from a gauntlet juggernaut losing to a character who would've been destroyed by the juggernaut were the multiplier not there at all. Were it not in the last gauntlet, Priscilla would've been buried alive by Elise after just a few hours and certainly would never have been in the lead at any point. I just going to put this out in the open right now: in the still very unlikely event Leo wins this gauntlet, I will not view it as a legitimate victory because I know how it would've played out if you removed the multiplier. Spoilers: he would probably get bodied at least as hard as Minerva did.

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

While it is true that I'd rather have it not be there at all, what I was getting at here is that, with how receptive IS has been to criticism towards this game, they would more than likely make the appropriate adjustments to the Voting Gauntlet if they receive enough backlash from a gauntlet juggernaut losing to a character who would've been destroyed by the juggernaut were the multiplier not there at all. Were it not in the last gauntlet, Priscilla would've been buried alive by Elise after just a few hours and certainly would never have been in the lead at any point. I just going to put this out in the open right now: in the still very unlikely event Leo wins this gauntlet, I will not view it as a legitimate victory because I know how it would've played out if you removed the multiplier. Spoilers: he would probably get bodied at least as hard as Minerva did.

Doesn't change the fact that they could ultimately just choose better candidate to begin with.

I don't find Gaius flat or boring, myself. Like any Awakening character, he has his one main thing (candy), but I feel he has more to him past that, not just his support with Maribelle. He shows he truly cares about finding out more about other races with Panne's support, he has his moments of being goofy and awkward (Panne's support - getting stuck on the cliff, Lon'qu's beach convo with the bugs), he tends to be pretty good at what he puts his mind to - with (making jewellery, dancing, sewing), he finds it hard to trust people (particularly shown in the Avatar's support where he tries to bribe them to keep a secret despite them saying multiple times they won't tell), he's conscious of his station when it comes to anyone above him (Lissa's conversation), he's pretty easy-going - forgiving Sully for accusing him of stealing, and helping both Sumia and Lissa with various things...

Eh, there's probably more, but I like Gaius for various reasons. To call him flat and then say Frederick is particularly deep compared is not right, imo. He has his gimmick and he has his extras. I always thought Gaius was fairly popular over here, too, although I could be wrong. I know the poll was Japan only for the summer one. 

Edited by Cute Chao

5 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Doesn't change the fact that they could ultimately just choose better candidate to begin with.

Then the only gauntlets we'd get are those between unknown/unpopular characters that people don't care much about and then those between lords and the few super popular non-lords. And that's just as boring.

10 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

I guess what I'm mostly disappointed is that we won't really have recreation of Chrom VS Emphraim again unless someone is willing to do the math.

Closest to that would be Frederick and Gaius. Looks like they're almost even in non-bonus gains. This might actually be the one instance where the multiplier decided the winner, but surprisingly not because of a last minute thing.

So. I have a new appreciation for Draconic Aura...

This most recent VG battle I had my Karel, an Ike and an Alm team against with a  team with Lukas alongside a Kagero and Minerva. Ike literally couldn't scratch Lukas at all after killing Minerva.

My Karel was nearly killed by Kagero, but took her out with Reprisal, and Fury left him at 1 HP.

Alm was doing 1 damage to Lukas...until he activated Draconic Aura. I had no idea that it completely ignored Weapon Triangle, holy crap. Two Draconic Auras won the day.

Edited by Extrasolar

1 minute ago, Johann said:

Closest to that would be Frederick and Gaius. Looks like they're almost even in non-bonus gains. This might actually be the one instance where the multiplier decided the winner, but surprisingly not because of a last minute thing.

Yeah, I kinda feel like even without multipliers, this would be close, as both characters have had multipliers already. But Gaius would still win.

I just noticed there's a tab to see the results of old gauntlets on the official gauntlet stats page. I knew it was a slaughter, but I forgot Camilla beat Minerva with a difference of over 21 BILLION on her, with 27.8 bil to 6.5 bil. That's hilarious.

I wish we could see the raw stats besides just the inflated ones once after they're over. I'd love to see how Elise vs Priscilla and Robin vs Tharja really looked like.

1 hour ago, ruruo said:

Hm, now that you mentioned it, there is no definitive proof that Tiki's melons are homegrown and not store bought

There's a certain amount of pride you get in growing your own melons, but not everyone can grow them very well, and there's no shame in buying melons, if you're not satisfied with the ones you grew yourself.

24 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I just noticed there's a tab to see the results of old gauntlets on the official gauntlet stats page. I knew it was a slaughter, but I forgot Camilla beat Minerva with a difference of over 21 BILLION on her, with 27.8 bil to 6.5 bil. That's hilarious.

I wish we could see the raw stats besides just the inflated ones once after they're over. I'd love to see how Elise vs Priscilla and Robin vs Tharja really looked like.

Total score's a bit meaningless, since they took away the Orb bonus for total score.  I'm a bit bummed they did that.  They're doing all these August events, but they took away the free Orbs from Gauntlet and Tempest, so it's not liking we're getting any more than usual now.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

There's a certain amount of pride you get in growing your own melons, but not everyone can grow them very well, and there's no shame in buying melons, if you're not satisfied with the ones you grew yourself.

Total score's a bit meaningless, since they took away the Orb bonus for total score.  I'm a bit bummed they did that.  They're doing all these August events, but they took away the free Orbs from Gauntlet and Tempest, so it's not liking we're getting any more than usual now.

Except we're getting orbs via Gauntlet quests now. Assuming the same quests are run through all 3 rounds, we'll get 12 orbs. I think IS wants people who actually participate to get the orbs, not just people who log in afterwards. 

58 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then the only gauntlets we'd get are those between unknown/unpopular characters that people don't care much about and then those between lords and the few super popular non-lords. And that's just as boring.

Yes I'm sure cast of Jugdral saga, Tellius Duology, Magvel, & Elibe series consist of nothing but obscure & unknown characters.

Because Henry, Lon'Qu, Gaius, Dorcas, Lute, Nino, Joshua, Mia, & Nephenee proves that you can't be popular without being lord.

56 minutes ago, Johann said:

I guess that just mean Fred ol boy is just one of the more popular cast of Awakening. Not too surprising all things all things considered.

Yes I'm sure cast of Jugdral saga, Tellius Duology, Magvel, & Elibe series consist of nothing but obscure & unknown characters.

Tellius's only popular characters are Ike and Micaiah. All others would surely lose in a gauntlet full of popular characters. Jugdral and Magvel don't have anybody super popular either except for their lords. Same with Elibe. Gaius would get creamed by anyone in the current gauntlet aside from Frederick.

I guess that just mean Fred ol boy is just one of the more popular cast of Awakening. Not too surprising all things all things considered.

He's still losing by about 60 mil though, like he was hours ago. Still no multiplier. Gap is staying the same for some reason. It got a little smaller, but not much (was closer to 70 mil before).

Edited by Anacybele

@Glaceon Mage do you like making people happy? 

If you do, you'll change that Cecilia you have for your favorite friend from Hoshido, me. Because I don't have horse emblem so that hone cavs does nothing for me :(

Edited by Oboro!

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Tellius's only popular characters are Ike and Micaiah. All others would surely lose in a gauntlet full of popular characters. Jugdral and Magvel don't have anybody super popular either except for their lords. Same with Elibe.

Well good thing you completely gloss over my examples

1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

Well good thing you completely gloss over my examples

Your examples weren't very good examples. How is Nino as popular as people like Ike, Lyn, Roy, etc? Same with the others you mentioned.

I guess after tomorrow I'm done with this gauntlet. Frederick and Robin are both going to lose, and there's no one else I'm willing to support.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Your examples weren't very good examples. How is Nino as popular as people like Ike, Lyn, Roy, etc? Same with the others you mentioned.

You mean other than the fact they're in the overall top 20 of their respective genders? Geez I wonder.

Got @Rezzy's Bridelia. She's super nice to have around! For some reason this Gauntlet is giving me more variety with my characters. Usually it just let's me use one or two characters from my friend's list, but this time I think I've gotten to use 4 or 5.

I'm surprised Leo and Xander are pretty close. 

Just now, Zangetsu said:

You mean other than the fact they're in the overall top 20 of their respective genders? Geez I wonder.

Ike and Lyn were at the very top. Almost no one would beat them at that rate. This is what I mean by obvious winners. And now I'm done with this argument, because it feels pointless.

1 hour ago, Hawk King said:

I wouldn't say unfair. It's just stupid. It completely contradicts the purpose of the voting gauntlet. Even though there hasn't been a major upset yet, it will definitely happen eventually. Pris almost won the last gauntlet because of it and Robin most likely would have won against Tharja with the current system.

It also totally screws over the total ranking of people on the most popular teams. The entire Top 1000 is going to be people who started on Team Elise. Elise has gotten 8 bonus hours already and will probably finish with 10, maybe 11, of them.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the voting gauntlet for what it is. The multiplier makes it fun to predict and plan for maximum score gains, but it just shouldn't be called a Voting Gauntlet. They should change the name to Battle Gauntlet instead. If it were simply called Battle Gauntlet, I would actually look forward to an upset.

I was wondering how in the blue hells people were at almost 500K points within hours of the gauntlet starting.

With numbers on the line - the number of feathers for rewards, etc. - that makes the whole endeavor pointless. It's already a P2W game designed for whales, now we're adding dumb luck and fidgety, Aspie-like devotion to the mix?

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Ike and Lyn were at the very top. Almost no one would beat them at that rate. This is what I mean by obvious winners. And now I'm done with this argument, because it feels pointless.

Well I'm saying not every Voting Gauntlet needs the Lords to begin with.

8 minutes ago, Oboro! said:

If you do, you'll change that Cecilia you have for your favorite friend from Hoshido, me. Because I don't have horse emblem so that hone cavs does nothing for me :(

Ah, sure thing.  Do you have any particular requests?  

12 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Got @Rezzy's Bridelia. She's super nice to have around! For some reason this Gauntlet is giving me more variety with my characters. Usually it just let's me use one or two characters from my friend's list, but this time I think I've gotten to use 4 or 5.

I'm surprised Leo and Xander are pretty close. 

Glad to hear she's helping.  Maybe you just have more friends on the same team this time.  I remember for the Mist Gauntlet, I got @DarkLordIvy's Soren for at least half the maps.

It's been pretty close, but I won't lie that I'll be saltier than the Dead Sea if we lose because of the multiplier shenanigans.

15 minutes ago, Oboro! said:

Oh are you on Team Leo now?  I've gotten an Oboro a couple times that might have been yours, if you're with Leo.

@Glaceon Mage Earlier today, I saw you in the standings, with the same score as me, right on top of me.

Edited by Rezzy