Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach poll!  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

22 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

The problem is the artificial sense of competition, and thus the artificial victory that would arise from the team that would have undeniably lost but ends up winning, due to an underdog mechanic screwing over the winning team for doing too well too soon. As has been said earlier, I think by Ice Dragon, punishing a team for doing too well is a terrible idea for any competition. The x3 bonus at least still kept things relatively close, whilst ensuring no real threats of the system granting the loser an artificial victory.

Gaius has done this twice now, and even though I'm on his team, it's only because I don't want to support Corrin. Otherwise I likely wouldn't go to a team I don't particularly care about, who should have been knocked out in the first round. I'd take curbstomps of cheap wins/losses any day, really. At least then you know it's fair in the sense that no one has be screwed over by a questionable mechanic.

You can argue with me all day that the current system has flaws and I'll even agree with you to an extent. Maybe overall number of supporters should play a factor too. Who knows, but really you cannot tell me that one-sided cheap victories would be better. )I'd argue how "deserved" they'd be anyway, since that really just comes down to "who has more supporters?" and well... just look at the popularity poll for that. There was nothing as frustrating as looking at a gauntlet and already knowing who would win, and supporting any besides the Olympus mons of the gauntlet was just a waste of your time. Everyone jumped on the most popular character and that was it. Nothing gained. They should sooner just not have gauntlets anymore than go back to that pointless system.
Also, really how much difference is there in the current system overall. Corrin was predicted to win and she is all but guaranteed too. The multiplie didn't really help F!Robin any, and we know she wasn't the more popular one.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Nanima said:

You can argue with me all day that the current system has flaws and I'll even agree with you to an extent. Maybe overall number of supporters should play a factor too. Who knows, but really you cannot tell me that one-sided cheap victories would be better. )I'd argue how "deserved" they'd be anyway, since that really just comes down to "who has more supporters?" and well... just look at the popularity poll for that. There was nothing as frustrating as looking at a gauntlet and already knowing who would win, and supporting any besides the Olympus mons of the gauntlet was just a waste of your time. Everyone jumped on the most popular character and that was it. Nothing gained. They should sooner just not have gauntlets anymore than go back to that pointless system.
Also, really how much difference is there in the current system overall. Corrin was predicted to win and she is all but guaranteed too. The multiplie didn't really help F!Robin any, and we know she wasn't the more popular one.

So basically it's a lose-lose.

If the multiplier causes an upset, people are upset the win wasn't deserved.

If it doesn't cause upsets, all it does is screw the people on the bigger team out of getting more points/feathers due to less multipliers. (at least when there were no multipliers it didn't matter much what team you joined if you battled enough)

It's not a very fair or good system all around, and either we have to just deal with it being kinda pointless like that, or we hope for a total revamp which probably won't happen. (since why bother on their end, unless it caused a lot more ire from players than it does)

All gauntlets have been a joke right from the beginning imo. So many flaws, go in with lv 40 and u might lose. Go in with lv 1 and its always a win if u have lv 40 friends on your list. Chose a team that is bound to lose if u want to have a high cumulative ranking because multiplier will happen very often. Too bad if a multiplier is taking place when youre sleeping. On the other hand u could as well stay up all night.

Imo they should revamp this whole thing. If u are going in lv20 you get 2 lv 20 partners if u dont have them on list u get some random dudes. If u beat a battle deathess u get three flags, last man standing only one. This could shake things up a bit. Battles should get more difficult. First battle is 3 vs 3. Second is 3 vs 4 third one is 3 vs 5. After the third battle or if u fail to win its back to battle one.  First battle gives three votes max. Second gives votes times two and third one gives votes times three.

Losing a gauntlet battle would actually mean something and a less popular character could win if their team is very skilled or just lucky.

Just my opinion.

Edited by re-beginner

Gauntlets could be a lot more interesting if the "voting for a character" aspect was taken out entirely. If players were shuffled randomly into eight teams that were about equally sized, with a given number of bonus units that could boost your point total, and everything else ran about the same way ... that'd allow for the team with the better strategy to win. Take out the "choice" part of choosing a hero, and take out the "back a hero" thing completely so that someone who doesn't want to support a hero they were randomly assigned to won't whine about it.

But I don't know how many people would actually join in.

Just now, phineas81707 said:

If there are still the sorts of feathers on offer, everyone would join.

Oh yeah, definitely. And like the current system, the losing teams would be reshuffled evenly into one of the winning teams so no one is permanently knocked out. While it wouldn't be a "voting" gauntlet anymore, it could be a themed battle gauntlet where the bonus characters always change.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Oh yeah, definitely. And like the current system, the losing teams would be reshuffled evenly into one of the winning teams so no one is permanently knocked out. While it wouldn't be a "voting" gauntlet anymore, it could be a themed battle gauntlet where the bonus characters always change.

So how would the bonus characters be chosen? Different per team, and if so, who would be in each section to make it 'fair'?

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

So how would the bonus characters be chosen? Different per team, and if so, who would be in each section to make it 'fair'?

I assume it'd be like the arena or the tempest where you're given several choices of bonus characters. How would 12 potential bonus heroes sound, 4 that apply to all teams (these could be worth lower bonus points if desired) and each team has a bonus hero unique to them. Once a certain team is eliminated, that hero will no longer be a bonus unit.

Maybe a new system should be based on how well a person does in battle, and then the overall score of the team should be an average of everyone's scores. Like, say someone on Team Corrin won a battle with one unit remaining, but someone on Team Robin won a battle with all their units alive. The person on Team Corrin would get points, but less than the person on Team Robin. And then maybe the overall score of the teams could be based on the averages or something, to make the gauntlet based more on at least some level of skill, rather than just the size of the army... I doubt it'd be easy to implement, but I think implementing points based on skill, and then making the overall score the average would make things fairer without it seeming like BS. Of course, I still think the name would still need to be changed from Voting Gauntlet to something else. Not that any of this would ever happen, sadly. And not to inflate my own ego, but I honestly think it could actually be a pretty good idea, and much better system.

Edit: Also, that would prevent everyone flocking to a possible bandwagon character, because it wouldn't be a popularity contest. It would be a skill based contest, which is much better, much fairer, whilst at the same time being much less predictable.

Edited by Frenzify

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I assume it'd be like the arena or the tempest where you're given several choices of bonus characters. How would 12 potential bonus heroes sound, 4 that apply to all teams (these could be worth lower bonus points if desired) and each team has a bonus hero unique to them. Once a certain team is eliminated, that hero will no longer be a bonus unit.

Hm, so a roster of safe choices, and then a mascot. You'd have to make sure all the mascots are the same rarity, and it'd also be fun to put them on banners to be collected.

Aw, I'm still sorely disappointed that Leo lost to Gaius. But at the same time, I'm glad, might as well support team Corrin for a Nohr victory. I really dislike this multiplier thing now though. :<

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

So basically it's a lose-lose.

If the multiplier causes an upset, people are upset the win wasn't deserved.

If it doesn't cause upsets, all it does is screw the people on the bigger team out of getting more points/feathers due to less multipliers. (at least when there were no multipliers it didn't matter much what team you joined if you battled enough)

It's not a very fair or good system all around, and either we have to just deal with it being kinda pointless like that, or we hope for a total revamp which probably won't happen. (since why bother on their end, unless it caused a lot more ire from players than it does)

As it is now, there only positive from being on the undeserving multiplier receiver underdog.  They all rank very easily due to multipliers, and they can even win and get feathers that way, while having only half the players supporting them.

FUCK. YOU. GAIUS.

That asshole comes into this gauntlet and just disappoints everyone. Hangs on by the skin of his teeth to get a win against Freddy. Gets the first big upset due to a late multiplier against Leo. And now he is so pathetic that he wont be giving Corrin a single bonus hour.

Somehow, my total rank is 11,044 despite being on Team Corrin from the very start. I even saved 715 flags coming into the Final Round.

Gaius team have a traitor in their rank , and it's the number one ! Scandalous!

I knew Something was off with his pseudo but i couldn't put my finger in it  ! Looks if you don't believe me !

2 minutes ago, nosef said:

Gaius team have a traitor in their rank , and it's the number one ! Scandalous!

I knew Something was off with his pseudo but i couldn't put my finger in it  ! Looks if you don't believe me !

Someone screen shot please. I, like most people, am with Corrin.

17 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

FUCK. YOU. GAIUS.

That asshole comes into this gauntlet and just disappoints everyone. Hangs on by the skin of his teeth to get a win against Freddy. Gets the first big upset due to a late multiplier against Leo. And now he is so pathetic that he wont be giving Corrin a single bonus hour.

Somehow, my total rank is 11,044 despite being on Team Corrin from the very start. I even saved 715 flags coming into the Final Round.

I think the Team Ranking resets each round, but I may be wrong.

yo! Team Gaius, a heads up that I've just joined and changed my username to 'IHateCandy'. Will brandish the Saizo later, he's not quite ready. At work for a long shift- rip rank @-@

13 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I think the Team Ranking resets each round, but I may be wrong.

Team ranking does. Total ranking doesn't.

I was in the top 1000 for both rounds 1 and 2.

12 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Can't screenshot now but top 1 player's name is "I <3 Corrin"

They were probably was hoping Gaius would lose. Just another victim on the long road of Gaius's disappointed.

7 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

You also have Ike, who'll very likely get multiple gauntlet appearances down the line. And unlike Leo, he has the popularity to actually win one.

Yeah, true that.

But I have to admit, my obsession lately has been more for Frederick than Ike. xP I still consider Ike my favorite FE character overall, but lately I've just wanted more Frederick. It's because he got a summer outfit in Heroes and got revealed for FE Warriors and all, but my mind is thinking more about the next time Freddy's in a gauntlet than whenever Ike gets one. :P

That could easily change though, as my main obsessions do that a lot. I don't ever stop loving something I'm that into entirely, but I can definitely switch up which one I focus my attention on more.

6 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

What difference would've that made?

YS!Robin is a plain old melee unit while NS!Corrin is a flying mage. If they were both their normal versions, maybe it would have reflected their popularity better.