Scorched Grand Hero Battle: Valter, the Moonstone

SatsumaFSoysoy

So anyone come up with a set for Valter? He seems like a good contendor for Fury 3, Desperation, and Bonfire while keeping Cursed Lance and Panic Ploy, maybe with Reposition instead of Ardent Sacrifice...

Also took a few tries to beat Lunatic (as in, I had to use a Stamina Potion in my attempts), but eventually I figured out my positioning mistakes and had Nowi, Xander, Nino, and Frederick clean house.

Edited by Xenomata

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

I completed hard mode, but I don't know if I can beat Lunatic. The only units I have ready for the GHB are Gray (+atk/-res), Legion, Julia (+def/-spd), Roderick (+hp/-atk), Lyn (+atk/-res), and Klein (+atk/-res). Who should I use how should I use them?

I heard Klein and three dancers worked lol.

2 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

So anyone come up with a set for Valter? He seems like a good contendor for Fury 3, Desperation, and Bonfire while keeping Cursed Lance and Panic Ploy, maybe with Reposition instead of Ardent Sacrifice...

He's not really fast enough for Desperation in this day and age, really. I'd just do QR.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

He's not really fast enough for Desperation in this day and age, really. I'd just do QR.

Ah... leftover from when I had the A skill listed as LnD3 that I overlooked, my bad.

In that case, a skill that triggers at low percentages WILL be better. Fury 3 guarantees he takes 10 post-battle damage, so Quick Riposte 3 won't be an option for more than one battle without Healer support, and any Breaker skills will only work for about 2 battles before Valter has to either heal or hope he can finish up in one more round of combat.

Either something like Vantage or Desperation or a positioning skill might be best. Windsweep or Watersweep might also be good since he doesn't have the speed to double anything with less than 31 Speed, which most top-tier units have far more than that, but it's just enough to trigger Sweep skills.

Escape Route 3 might be a good option to let him teleport to a mage who couldn't finish their battle and take the kill for them to go target someone else.

I put escape route on my Klein and managed to beat infernal.   My team was two olivias, klein and reinhardt.   Klein was honestly the maps mvp and reinhardt took out the units he couldn't.    The dancers were only used for dance (one was only 3* lvl 1) aside from when I used the 5* one to kill the axe cav.  The map was tough but I think legion and berkut infernal were worse.

1 hour ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Cleared Valter's Infernal map on 2nd try.

Bride Cordelia gets Danced and wipes out the axe flier on the first turn, putting her in position for the archer to attack her. The archer couldn't KO her and puts her into the HP threshold to use Escape Route. Then it's just Reinhardt wiping out mostly anything that doesn't fly (the only flier Reinhardt wipes out is Valter), Bride Cordelia wiping out the generic fliers and the Olivias getting into position and Dancing for them. Not all reinforcements appeared during my clear (map cleared by turn 4). Only Bride Cordelia took any damage.

Yes, escape route on Bridelia is brutal, thank for that idea. It worked.

13 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Ah... leftover from when I had the A skill listed as LnD3 that I overlooked, my bad.

In that case, a skill that triggers at low percentages WILL be better. Fury 3 guarantees he takes 10 post-battle damage, so Quick Riposte 3 won't be an option for more than one battle without Healer support, and any Breaker skills will only work for about 2 battles before Valter has to either heal or hope he can finish up in one more round of combat.

Either something like Vantage or Desperation or a positioning skill might be best. Windsweep or Watersweep might also be good since he doesn't have the speed to double anything with less than 31 Speed, which most top-tier units have far more than that, but it's just enough to trigger Sweep skills.

Escape Route 3 might be a good option to let him teleport to a mage who couldn't finish their battle and take the kill for them to go target someone else.

He's just straight up not fast enough to double anymore, even with Fury, which is why QR is on him. For Arena, only that one kill matters. For non-Arena content, his Lance + Fury makes him burn out too fast honestly.

9 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

He's just straight up not fast enough to double anymore, even with Fury, which is why QR is on him. For Arena, only that one kill matters. For non-Arena content, his Lance + Fury makes him burn out too fast honestly.

What would you say for his non-Arena A passive? TA3 might be an option since it just makes him all the deadlier to Reds while doing not much else to his Green matchups, but otherwise... I dunno, the Shield skill that disables Flier bonus damage might be nice.

I can see why QR would be best now, at least in the following hypothetical situation: Assuming Valter gets in position to target a Sword unit with less than 40 speed, he will ORKO the Sword and have Bonfire built up, which means he can then go target the Blue or Dancer (who is probably Blue anyways) and one-shot them at best, and at worst have them be too weakened to be a plausible threat (unless they're Vantage Xander or some bull like that).

Tiki and Young Tiki aren't that common in Arena, and most Red Mages have him down to nothing anyways, so I can't see many other Red units other than Swords on a typical color-balanced enemy team. In fact, the one big issue with QR is that QR3 is a 5* skill, but if it's just the one kill you need then QR2 works anyways.

Edited by Xenomata

Ran +Atk Cherche (Death Blow 2, Brave Axe+, Atk +1 Seal, Spur Atk 2, Reposition, Drag Back), +Atk Reinhardt (Death Blow 3, Red Tomebreaker 3—2 would suffice, Quickened Pulse, Moonbow, Spur Atk 2) and double Olivia with Ruby Sword (one was +Atk 4* +3 and had Wings of Mercy 2 and Spur Atk 2, the other had Hone Atk 3). One of them had to tank the Hammer Flier and Brave Axe Cav attack, but were otherwise untouched. Initially, I went after the northern fliers as they spawned. Kept the map relatively clear, but that let the cavs run in threaten 3/4 of the map, leaving me no good places to bait. The attempt after that, I just decided to bumrush my way in.

• Fried the bow with Rein on my first turn (with Olivia's help to move far enough) and then danced him out (Cherche Repositioned the Wings Olivia into range).
  • Second turn, Rein kills the red mage with Olivia's help (this Olivia should go above Cherche), Cherche kills the baited Lance Cav. Wings Olivia moves back to beside Cherche, but doesn't Dance. The Hammer Flier suicides on Wings Olivia.
  • Third turn was the trickiest play. Rein slides down and attacks Valter, but can't kill him by 3 HP. Cherche moves down just a bit, then gets Danced so she can position 2 tiles above Rein. Wings Olivia warps in to Dance Rein who finishes off Valter.
  • Fourth turn was trivial picks of the Sword Cav, and Sword Armour by Danced Rein, then Cherche on the Firesweep Flier.
  • Fifth turn, Rein quads the Red Mage Cav to death (he only needs 3 hits, though), then the two Olivias wall the Brave Axe Cav while giving Rein two more turns to wreck the Sword Flier. Brave Axe guy does around 9x 2 to one of the Olivias.
  • Sixth turn and beyond is just clean-up. Kill the Brave Axe Cav, then maneuver around a bit taking advantage of the fact that both remaining Axe Fliers will chase Rein into weird positions that don't protect the Red Mage and it becomes especially easy for a double Dancer team to get picks (careful of Close Defense on the one Axe Flier, though, as Cherche won't quite one-round without a Special or chip help; thankfully, the Lunger is the one cleanly one-rounded without needing to be baited).
Edited by Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

45 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

With the damage he takes from fury and his lance: wouldn't he arrive directly in vantage range after 1 attack? Seems useful to me. 

2 hours ago, Azuni said:

Definitely one of the harder GHBs for me, perhaps after Berkut's. I underestimated those cliffs and the amount of swarming reinforcements that would go on. Took a handful of tries to finally beat Infernal.

The deciding factor for me was to ignore the 2 north spawn fliers and rush at the Firesweep Lance/Wolf tome mage/Valter with rein/cecilia after Xander took out the initial Axe Flier and wounded the Archer (his Escape Route made him annoying on the failed runs).  Xander took that big chunk of damage from the Panic Ploy sword armor that spawned, as I had to skirt all my units around him to desperately kill all the horses/fliers that spawned.

Reveal hidden contents

599b0d74ed705_fehvalterinfernalghb.thumb.png.0c72d4ee374264d0832ba002a292eccd.png

Hmm, that looks like something I might be able to mimic. What builds did you use?

I did Infernal with: 
Xander, Olwen, Cherche(typical Brave axe+ build) and Ninian.
Olwen needed Hone Cavalry, which was maybe not the best choice against panic ploy, but oh well... I did it with.

17 minutes ago, Othin said:

Hmm, that looks like something I might be able to mimic. What builds did you use?

Cecilia: +2 5* +spd -hp, Darting Blow3/Desperation/Hone Cavalry, Drawback/Aether, Atk Ploy seal

Xander: 5*, TA3/QR2/Hone Cavalry, Swap/Ignis (Bonfire might've worked too), Def+1 seal

Rein: +1 5*, +atk -res, Death Blow3/Lancebreaker1/Fortify Cavalry, Reposition/Luna, QP or Atk+1 seal

Olivia: 4*, HP+5/WoM3/Hone atk3, Dance, Fortify Res seal

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I was thinking of Fury 3 and Renewal 3 for him. Cursed Lance's built-in, modified Fury 1 reminds me of the Ylissean Summer units' weapons that have a modified, 100% HP Fury 2. Probably not the best of sets since he can burn out very quickly if Renewal 3 can't keep up.

I remember someone -- I think it was JSND -- talking about L&D3 on him. I think it was because of the hilarity of his stat spread letting him retain physical bulk with L&D3 while gaining high attack and speed at the cost of very poor resistance. L&D3 and Cursed Lance would give Valter 42 HP, 55 Atk, 38 Spd, 29 Def, and 14 Res. Just like with Fury 3, he can burn out very quickly since he's guaranteed to take 2 damage per round on top of his lowered, but still good defense.

I think the safest option might be to give him Close Def 3, but that calls for using a spare summer Tiki who is not available for summon at the moment, but regular unit will show up eventually with Close Def. The only problem is that Tana probably pulls off that kind of set better since she'd have 50 attack, 36 speed, and 38 defense with Vidofnir to Valter's 50 attack, 33 speed, and 40 defense with Cursed Lance. Tana would never take recoil damage and she'd also be able to tank dragons if needed with Close Def 3 also giving her 31 resistance to Valter's 25 which is Tana's base resistance. There's also Tana's access to boons and banes.

Anyway, I wonder if 4* Gordin might work for Infernal. I'll need to check, but I don't think anyone has Iote's Shield, so all the fliers including Valter could be taken out by him. The only question is who to deal with the mages if he can get away from them or reach to nuke them and what to do with the physical units. Maybe Gordin, Olivia, a mage, and a healer? Do I really need a healer? I could use Xander or Lukas to just tank and isolate some units.

Edited by Kaden

While this map was fun, its all about Teleporting around and using units that can ORKO stuff. There is no way i can do here a Healer only run with no Defensiv tiles and that many reinforcements ._.. You are kinda stuck to kill as fast as possible or eat dirt. Well as said i managed to kill it on 2. try on Infernal with B!Cordelia Tana Oliva and Azura. Wings of Mercy, Guidance 3 hell any Movement helping passiv is really gold on this map

I forget his fight start today ... Oh well, got Hard and Lunatic for now.

Hard was used to give my 2nd Oboro some SP she needs for her Luna, so it was: Michalis, Oboro #2, Olivia and XanXan.

Lunatic was beated with Camus, Xander, Bridelia and Olivia.

I will check Infernal later at night, looks that I'm going to need a blue mage for all these red mages, so I'll check later if Ursula or Linde can do the thing

This maps sounds like if IntSys laught at me for not summoning Innes, with being and archer with high res... Damn it game

Used my A team to clear Normal and Lunatic. Olivia/Delthea/Bridelia/Nino. Wiped the maps clean in one try. 

For Infernal I had to switch things up, everyone's two dancer method worked for me also, funny how I was going to do that before even reading the forums. Swapped out Nino for Ninian so Bridelia/Delthea/Olivia/Ninian. Just a matter of proper positioning and timing Delthea's Dragon Fang to OHKO the right enemies as well as Lancebreaker slaying Valter allowing the Bride to do work elsewhere. Was going to put Escape Route on Bridelia (instead of Desperation) but didn't end up needing teleport shenanigans at all. Took a couple tries for Infernal but 0 stamina potions were used for this endeavor. Works out because I burned 5-7 on the 11-12 Lunatic CC's.

Moving on.

Edited by Zeo

31 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Anyway, I wonder if 4* Gordin might work for Infernal. I'll need to check, but I don't think anyone has Iote's Shield, so all the fliers including Valter could be taken out by him. The only question is who to deal with the mages if he can get away from them or reach to nuke them and what to do with the physical units. Maybe Gordin, Olivia, a mage, and a healer? Do I really need a healer? I could use Xander or Lukas to just tank and isolate some units.

Gordin's not gonna cut it against the mages. I gave him some consideration, myself, and he just doesn't have enough Atk. Even as a +Atk with Hone Atk 3, he's got all of 43. Most of the mages 22 Def, though one has 25 Def. This makes them borderline 4HKO from him. This map really is about how fast you can burst the enemies down. Bring 2-3 nukers and fill the rest of the slots with refreshers. Trying to bring a healer here, even with a decent mixed-defense wall, is just going to get them killed.

5 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

That'd be great, if you don't mind spending the stamina.

Bit of a late reply, but here it is 

First my units:

Spoiler

r9if9of.png

+Spd/-Res nature

J7GOYXB.png

+Atk/-Res nature

QcVmRfe.png

+Atk/-HP nature

489BxIi.png

+Atk/-Res nature

And now my strategy:

Spoiler

Turn 1 :

NGl1s3C.png

Just reposition my unit for the next turn.

Turn 2 :

5emFXAw.png

Forgot to take some picture to sow what Cherche did, but she pretty killed the hammer flier, went back to next to Azura thanks to Drag Back, who then sang so Cherche could kill the archer. Reinhardt then killed the Firesweep cav and the mage with a dance from Olivia.

Turn 3 :

yiQBAh1.png

Position at the start of the turn

6WLnphT.png

First Reinhardt kills the red armor. After that, Azura sings so he can go kill the red flier. He needs to kill the armor first since it allows him to charge moonbow, otherwise he'd just miss one rounding the flier. Meanwhile, Cherche kills the axe flier which leaves me with this:

l7JjdV4.png

Before ending my turn, Olivia dances Reinhardt in order for him to reposition Azura for the next turn. Cherche will tank the Firesweep flier during enemy phase.

Turn 4 :

zEO0Zfv.png

The main reason why I repositioned Azura last turn was so Cherche could kill the flier and then move south of Reinhardt after Drag Back, allowing her to be double danced so she can kill the axe flier as well.

bemuqIv.png

Just an intermediate pic after Azura sang Cherche. Olivia dances her so she can kill the brave axe flier and end the turn on the lake tile between Olivia and Azura.

Turn 5 :

dKRbRi2.png

First thing this turn is Reinhardt taking out the Red mage above him. After that, Azura sings him and Olivia moves 1 tile west to allow him to attack the Red cav.

BdPUimR.png

He can't kill him since Moonbow isn't ready and he isn't buffed by anyone. Probably could have given Cherche Spur Atk since I end the turn by placing her between Reinhardt and Azura, but it doesn't really matter a whole lot since Reinhardt can tank 1 round from the cav and I don't need Lancebreaker to end the map.

Turn 6 :

jWp3cYI.png

First thing I do is take out the red mage cav with Cherche

Pzm5reh.pngthe

After that, I let Reinhardt finish the red cav and have Azura sing Cherche so she can get out of range of Valter and the cav. Which leaves my unit like this at the end of the turn:

RpadrHe.png

Turn 7 : 

kzsdDMm.png

I first weaken the axe cav with Rein to allow Cherche to kill him. She comes just short and dies to the axe cav otherwise.

StSv1A4.png

After that, I sing Cherche with Azura and the maps end after Cherche kills Valter.

Edited by LuxSpes

I finally did infernal, it took three tries with this team (no 5* merges) after trying some other team compositions:

Reinhardt 5* +RES -DEF, Dire Thunder, DB2, Lancebreaker 3, Spur ATK 2, Draw Back, Luna, HP+3 seal

Olivia 4* +1 +SPD -DEF, Ruby Sword+, Fury 2, WoM 2, hone ATK3, Dance, New moon, Def+1 seal

Azura 5* +ATK -HP, Sapphire Lance+, SPD+3, WoM3, Hone ATK 3, Sing, dragon gaze, spur def seal

Jeorge 5* +ATK -SPD, Brave bow, ATK+2, Lancebreaker 2, spur speed 3, swap, Moonbow, atk+1 seal

Jeorge killed all fliers and the fire lance cav from the beginning. Swap was needed, also lance breaker (cav & Valter).

Olivia needed to tank one axe flier (spawned in the upper left corner) and to kill one axe cav near the end on enemy phase. WoM was not needed. 

Azura finished up the red knight (enemy phase) and softened the last red mage, which spawned in the end in the upper right corner, to help Reinhardt who couldn't kill them alone. WoM to warp near Olivia who moved near the mage on purpose was needed in that moment. 

Reinhardt killed everyone else, but needed help (red knight, last mage) or hone ATK buff (first red mage, first Archer). Luna was necessary to kill the spawned red cav in the lower left corner. 

Thanks @JSND & @SatsumaFSoysoy for bringing me to the right strategy. 

Found this video on how to clear Valter's infernal map using common units. That said, apparently Donnel having 33 defense is important in manipulating the AI, and I think Gordin also needs to be +atk? (Also will probably not work with Klein because Klein is too frail.)

Completed the maps using Cav. team WoMbo combo.  This was made possible thanks to the Red Wolftome mage, who does enough damage to Ursula to trigger a WoM chain. Thus, I was able to clear Lunatic and Infernal in 1 and 2 turn(s) respectively.  Tried using an Infantry team afterward, but they lacked the ability to ORKO the enemy units and ended up getting overwhelmed rather quickly.

Team + Relevant Info:

• Ursula - (Blarowl+ / AOE Special / Fury 3 / R-Tomebreaker / Hone Cav / Atk+1 Seal)
  • Peri - (Brave Lance+ / Swap / Galeforce / Fury 3 (Darting Blow 3 on Lunatic) / WoM3 / Goad Cav / QP Seal)
  • Eldigan - (WoM3 / Goad Cav)
  • Azura - (Sing / WoM3)

Video:

Spoiler

Edited by Kalibur

I DO IT! Lunatic cleared with Xander, Camus (5*), Olivia and Klein(4*)

Was f*cking nightmare, I hate reinforcements maps, they ruin my life, but for extra hard maps Klein save my ass, jus use Klein

Only having -Atk s!Gaius as a 5* archer hurts. I do have Merric, but he's not very good. Wonder if I'll need to have Clarisse jump to the front of my list of planned 5* upgrades, although I'm not even sure I have a good way to use her.

Xander/Reinhardt/Olivia/Ninian seems to be the best thing I've tried so far, but I haven't found any way for them to fend off the approaching enemies fast enough to avoid eventually getting trapped and destroyed.

That all said, as frustrating as this map is, I really like how it's designed. Hard and Lunatic put up a decent fight without being too bad, and Infernal will be very satisfying to clear.