Scorched Grand Hero Battle: Valter, the Moonstone

SatsumaFSoysoy

Valter's Grand Hero Battle is slated for late August as the first SS addition in god knows how long!

Map

Lunatic

Spoiler

H8cyLjd.png

Infernal

Spoiler

MAx0uy1.png

Infernal Enemy Data

Turn 1

Valter

Spoiler

HP: 67
Atk: 53
Spd: 36
Def: 28
Res: 21

Weapon: Cursed Lance 16 MT: Grants Atk/Spd +2 and accelerates Special trigger (cooldown count -1). Unit takes 4 damage after combat.
Assist:
Special: Luna (already charged)

A: Darting Blow 3
B: Desperation 3
C: Panic Ploy 3

Lance Cavalier

Spoiler

HP: 57
Spd: 27
Res: 33

Weapon: Firesweep Lance+
Assist: 
Special: Miracle 

A: Earth Boost 3
B: Poison Strike 3
C: Savage Blow 3

Red Mage

Spoiler

HP: 52
Atk: 44
Spd: 35
Def: 22
Res: 31

Weapon: Rauðrwolf+
Assist:
Special: Moonbow

A: Warding Blow 3
B: Bowbreaker 3
C: Spur Res 3

Archer

Spoiler

HP: 59
Atk: 48
Spd: 32
Def: 32
Res: 18

Weapon: Silver Bow+
Assist: 
Special: Moonbow

A: Armored Blow 3
B: Escape Route 3
C: Spur Atk 3

Axe Flier

Spoiler

Atk: 43
Spd: 39
Def: 24
Res: 40

Weapon: Hammer+
Assist: 
Special: Aegis

A: Distant Def 3
B: Pass 3
C: Spur Res 3

Sword Armor

Spoiler

HP: 78
Atk: 58
Spd: 18
Def: 45
Res: 21

Weapon: Silver Sword+
Assist: Pivot
Special: Ignis

A: Defiant Atk 3
B: Wary Fighter 3

Turn 2 reinforcements

Lance Flier (bottom right corner)

Spoiler

Atk: 46

Weapon: Firesweep Lance+
Assist: 
Special: Miracle

A: Darting Blow 3
B: Seal Def 3
C: Goad Fliers

Turn 3 reinforcements

Sword Flier (top left)

Spoiler

Assist: 
Special: Glacies

A: Death Blow 3
B: Hit and Run
C: Atk Ploy 3

Axe Pegasus (top right)

Spoiler

Weapon: Silver Axe+
Assist: 
Special: Glacies

A: Armored Blow 3
B: Lunge
C: Def Ploy 3

Turn 4 reinforcements

Axe Flier (middle left)

Spoiler

Atk: 39
Spd: 34

Weapon: Brave Axe+
Assist: 
Special: Estucheon

A: Close Def 3
B: Quick Riposte 3
C: Atk Ploy 3

Sword Cavalier (bottom left)

Spoiler

Spd: 27
Res: 33

Assist: 
Special: Blazing Wind

A: Wind Boost 3
B: Bowbreaker 3

Red Mage (top right)

Spoiler

Atk: 50
Spd: 38
Def: 25
Res: 34

Weapon: Bolganone+
Assist: 
Special: Draconic Aura

A: Fury 3
B: Pass 3
C: Threaten Res 3

Turn 5 reinforcements

Axe Cavalier (bottom left)

Spoiler

Atk: 49
Spd: 25
Def: 31
Res: 36

Weapon: Brave Axe+
Assist: 
Special: Luna

B: Axebreaker 3
C: Threaten Def 3

Red Mage Cavalier (bottom middle)

Spoiler

HP: 46
Atk: 55
Spd: 31
Def: 22
Res: 41

Weapon: Bolganone+
Assist: 
Special: Iceberg

B: Obstruct 3
C: Spur Spd 3

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strategy

- It might seem counterintuitive at first, but you'll quickly find that you get overwhelmed if you try to play passive. Player Phase nukes and dancers are the way to go.

- Despite the multi-directional reinforcements, it should be possible to create safe spaces for your Dancers as long as you can ORKO. Wings of Mercy or Escape Route allow them to get to safety very effectively.

- Blade mages run into some difficulty on this map, as there are many high Res and high Spd fliers roaming about. Consider physical means of attack instead, if necessary.

Recommended units

- A Brave Bow user: The map has plenty of low Def fliers and mages hanging around, but they're all rather fast. Brave Bow would be the most effective Bow against these enemies. Klein comes with this Bow by default, but of course, other options like Bridal Cordelia and Takumi work as well.

- Reinhardt: 3 Mov on a map that has rather restrictive terrain for non-fliers is great, and Reinhardt is Reinhardt.

- Brave/Firesweep Flier: Yet again units that take advantage of the low Def of units on this map. Fliers have the additional benefit of being able to move freely around this map.

- Dancers: Surprise, surprise. ORKOing fast is essential on this map, so Dancers pair great with your nukes. Because of how much freedom enemy fliers have over this map, some sort of teleport skill like Escape Route or Wings of Mercy is recommended.

References

LUNATIC 3*/4* F2P no SI and Seals clear by Brotel

INFERNAL 4* no SI or Seals clear by Ventus (Req.: Gordin)

INFERNAL clear without Brave Bow or Reinhardt by u/DNamor (Nino / M!Robin / Cordelia / Olivia)

INFERNAL clear with no Dancer by Toguro (Oboro / Ike / Rebecca / Spring Chrom)

INFERNAL clear with Valter himself by Sashibu (technically F2P lel) (Valter / Clarisse / Ursula / Olivia)

Member clears

The Prince and the Losers by Ayaneru (Klein /Azura / Xander/ Reinhardt)

Westland Minerva by SatsumaFSoysoy (Cherche / Azura / Olivia / Reinhardt)

Xander and his Little Sisters by Korath88 (Xander / Ninian / Delthea / Elise)

Olivia likes Blonds by JSND (Olivia / Klein / Xander / Camus)

Fire with Flier by GuiltyLove (Spring Camilla / Summer Corrin / Palla / Catria)

Xander + Rein Electric Boogaloo by Othin (Xander / Reinhardt / Ninian / Olivia)

Rooster Wings by LordFrigid (Tana / Azura / Faye / Sophia)

Wall of the Lake by Marston (Azura / Nino / Cordelia / Xander)

Memes of Mercy by Astolfo! (Azura / Delthea / Gordin / Xander)

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

RadiantDawnStillOnlyHasOneOfficialCharacter/10
NoIkeAndCoDon'tCountThey'rePathofRadianceVersions/10

But in seriously, this is pretty awesome. The spear looks great. Assuming those stats translate out fairly well, Valter should have decent HP, high attack, middle of the road speed, high defence, and rock bottom res. Though keep in mind those display stats are 1) boosted by his lance for attack/speed 2) probably boosted by being an enemy.

Problem is that "eeeeh" speed. It needs to be great or horrible. Middle of the road does nobody any favours sadly, just wastes BST. Still probably going to 5* him regardless though.

As for the map, Firesweep Lance, no surprise. I'm betting Lunge on him as well.

dat Cursed Lance looks to be really strong - it's effectively an 18 Mt Killer weapon with a Spd boost and Fury 2 bleed damage effect.

So, without weapon, Valter has:

58 HP (inflated due to Lunatic difficulty)

32 Atk

31 Spd

35 Def

19 Res

Edited by Roflolxp54

The map's looking to be easily beaten by Lancebreaker Reinhardts as long as there's a red unit to get rid of the Hammer flier. 5* Paragon Knight Xander may be an effective answer for the Hammer Flier and the Silver Bow archer. No idea on what Infernal is going to present.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Yes!  Valter!  After Berkut i was worried ghb units would stop getting prf weapons but his lance looks awesome!    Hopefully his appearance foreshadows a SS banner.      Even if his stats end up horrible I'm 5 starring him.

Edited by pumpkinspice48

I think safest way to deal with the map is going right to the peg with either a Raudhraven unit or an archer. Lure the rest and snipe them with the rest of your units.

Rein+Repo/Draw Back tactics are a thing tho

Taking Lunatic Stat Inflation into consideration, it almost looks like Valter will have enough Speed to avoid being doubled at worst, and can hit something around 37-ish speed if he has Life and Death 3, which he can viably carry since he has a Fury 2 effect built into his weapon, which can let him pack Desperation 3 or Vantage 3 effectively. And that doesn't take his great-looking attack into consideration, which might look in the ballpark of 30 or 29 base, assuming I'm calculating the stat inflation correctly.

With the benefit of being able to use any 3-charge skill as effectively as a normal unit with Moonbow, Draconic Aura looks very dangerous on him. Bonfire can be just as lethal, but I'm thinking with LnD3 in mind, though Fury 3 can make Bonfire lethal as well. Of course, one charge Moonbow is cool and all as well.

Coming packed with Panic Ploy 3 naturally though? That makes him valuable even if you don't want him for your team, at least in Arena play where Bladetome and HoneWard Emblem teams are jerks.

I think he could be viable as a flying physical tank, though he does still face competition as a flying Lance unit from Cordelia, and as a Lance unit in general from the likes of Effie the powerhouse, Azura the Singer, and ohey Cordelia again. He also doesn't look to have the ability to pack a Brave Lance the way Cherche can pack a Brave Axe, since his Lance, at least in the photo, is making up almost a third of his attack power.

...as for the map itself, Xander can handle the Hammer Flier and Silver Archer, TA3 Nowi could probably handle the Red Mage and withstand the hit from the Firesweep Cav, and so long as the enemy doesn't have Drag Back, any greens should be able to take out Valter and the Firesweep Cav effectively.

Still hate Infernal, not even gonna bother trying to figure out how to get around that when the day comes.

Edited by Xenomata

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Judging from the previous few GHBs, there have always been Hector and Rein countermeasures. I imagine it's not that simple, at least on Infernal.

Nothing a dancer can't solve :P:

Actually, despite Berkut's map being really tough against him I managed to clear it with Rein.

Hmm, I can't really see an easy way of starting this map assuming it's not like Berkut's where everyone rushes you.

Going to the red mage means you're in range of the the Firesweep Lance cavalier. That's probably death for any green and possibly blue. If that cavalier has Drag Back or Lunge, well... Yeah.

Going towards Valter means being in range of 4 units, so that's a no-go.

If you try to bait the axe flyer which is possibly the best option, you also get into the range of the Brave Bow archer. With the free units, that basically rules out Palla and possibly Zephiel since even though he has WTA over the flyer, she's packing a Hammer and the Brave Bow archer could whittle him down to let her double him assuming she can live on counter hit from Zephiel. Not sure if Alfonse or Stahl could survive and Hana, Lloyd, and Navarre probably won't. Xander's probably the best bet, especially if he's a 5* since he can counter back. Maybe Michalis, but he can't be 3* and he's still at a disadvantage compared to Xander who at least has WTA against the axe flyer.

I could see Donnel, Olivia -- gee, I wonder why --, and Xander being the picks for a F2P team. Xander's to start and bait the axe flyer and archer, Donnel would be there for the red mage and also the cavalier since they can't counter back, so free hits for Donnel, and possibly could help out with the Brave Bow archer. The fourth member could be Cecilia, Narcian, or possibly Barst, Gunter, Legion, Michalis, and F!Robin. Basically, they'd be there to cover just the lance units or lance and Brave Bow archer. Narcian's Lancebreaker would be very useful to get damage on Valter, but Valter's resistance is low, so Cecilia and F!Robin could be more useful, especially since Cecilia has Gronnraven for WTA against the archer and F!Robin has Gronnwolf to deal extra damage against the lance cavalier. Maybe Clarisse or possibly Niles or Virion could be used, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Kaden

A few things that I think are pretty cool about his weapons/skills.

1. Him having the Cursed Lance directly references his backstory in Sacred Stones.

2. He has Luna, referencing how the "Pierce" skill was exclusive to the Wyvern Knight class.

3. His Panic Ploy still negates Ephraim and Eirika's buffing prowess.

Assuming those stats are for Lunatic, that puts his level 40 base stats at 43/32/31/35/19 minus a total of 2-4 points of stat inflation. That's pretty damned respectable considering Cursed Lance's free Atk and Spd boost and legendary-status 16 Atk.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Assuming those stats are for Lunatic, that puts his level 40 base stats at 43/32/31/35/19 minus a total of 2-4 points of stat inflation. That's pretty damned respectable considering Cursed Lance's free Atk and Spd boost and legendary-status 16 Atk.

Wow, that's actually really really good. That's like a Camus spread almost, though the lower Spd hurts a bit. If only Hone Fliers was available on more than just Hinoka...

Actually, I might even send onee-san home to use this guy.

12 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

3. His Panic Ploy still negates Ephraim and Eirika's buffing prowess.

Oh no! Who will save them? The Silver Knight of Renais? The Obsidian of Grado? The vengeful brother? The Takumi of Frelia?

I see they went with Scorched Sands for the map- makes sense seeing how it's the one chapter where you fight him. I think it's also one of the less bad desert maps in FE between not being overly sandy and having the dynamic quality of two separate hero groups (well more on Eph's route), plus two awesome separated bosses, each with a full army.

Now if only we had Ephraim, Forde and Kyle on the exterior Renvall map vs. Valter's crew- fight the battle Eph somehow won!

Edit: The map isn't Scorched Sands after all when I actually compare them instead of going off of memory. It does look to be inspired by it though.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Wow, that's actually really really good. That's like a Camus spread almost, though the lower Spd hurts a bit. If only Hone Fliers was available on more than just Hinoka...

Actually, I might even send onee-san home to use this guy.

We can just hope that the inflation points weren't added to Atk or Spd.

Assuming his Atk and Spd are intact, that's 34/33 offenses with a legendary Killer weapon. That's pretty damned beautiful.

As a side note, Valter being added for the late August Grand Hero Battle means we're probably getting a Sacred Stones banner halfway through the month so that we can get a story chapter with Valter as a random opponent as a teaser.